tModLoader Bame's Vanilla Rebalancing

J Bame

Terrarian
Terraria 1.3.5 has been out for a while now. With all the time it has been since we last got an update, the community has has plenty of time to see flaws in this game’s balance. We have items that are disproportionately overpowered for their stage in the game (Fetid Baghnakhs, Valhalla Knight Breastplate) and others that are so bad that some people may not even know they exist (Honey Balloon, Sleepy Octopod). If one thing is clear, is that a lot of weapons and equipment in this game are completely outclassed by other things and thus are left in the dark.

The goal of this mod is simple: Make almost every bad item in the game viable and fun to use in a normal run, nerf overpowered stuff, and make the changes to general gameplay and game progression that this would call for.

This mod, in its current state features:
  • Hundreds of changes to items and ammunition, ranging from stat tweaks or basic modifications, new attacks and full reworks.
  • True melee made viable for the whole game... kindof. You still have get support from projectiles since there is only so much you can do to this playstyle in this game.
  • Over 30 accessory changes, every single accessory should be viable now, with certain underwhelming ones getting special attention (Looking at you, Bee Cloak, Panic Necklace, and Brain of Confusion)
  • A pair of vanity sets have been turned into fully unique armors, and multiple set bonuses have been changed.
  • Tons of changes to individual armor pieces, made with hybrid armor builds in mind, so you may feel like ignoring set bonuses from time to time.
  • The Mechanical Bosses have received a general rework and a few new surprises on Expert mode. However, their souls can be used for better items.
  • A rebalanced Celestial Event, featuring more heart drops and lower damage across the board, as well as a few completely reworked enemies.
  • Some weapons and enemies have been completely retiered.
  • And more!

FOR A FULL, DETAILED DOCUMENTATION OF ALL CHANGES, CLICK THIS LINK.

Slapping more stats into things doesn’t always solve problems. You have to be creative when it’s needed.

BIIIIIRDS.gif

Not everything is fun and flashy changes, there are some things that may be hard to spot at first sight.

HydraContact.gif

NewSpearMechanics.gif

There are also things that you will definitely notice no matter what.

Dammit_Bame.jpg

And some things fall into both categories.

OctopodMadness.gif

Alt Fires are underused.

Trident.gif
AirStrike.gif

Yo-yos could always use more effects. Have you noticed how we currently have 5 practically identical weapons in the Pre-Mech tier, with 1 completely outclassing the other four?
FormatoC.gif

Set Bonuses are fun, but optimizing with hybrid sets is where the real fun is at. I wonder what the best combination will be...
Amoring.gif

Just imagine saying that this is how you are about to fight Moon Lord.

l3LhxOM.jpg
TC4mu6D.jpg
NyUinJx.jpg
9cEiHYJ.jpg

Completely normal setups, right?
TFqeq6M.jpg

Join the Bame's Rebalance Mod Discord Server!

Credits to:
  • Coleyohley for doing amazing work on the documentation, fixing my ugly writing and making it much more fun and comfortable to read.
  • The TModLoader Discord, always helping me out when I had a coding question

Last edited:
This looks amazing! Finally a way to make all items useful. I will definitely use this in my next playthrough!

Now THIS is thorough , reminds me of the kind of balance that exists in games like league of legends and that is , at least, very detailed.
After the game receives its last official update , rethinking the way everything in the game is and works will be essential to give the game more polish and things to look forward to than just new items with new sprites .
I love it!

Could you possibly add a config to enable and disable these changes individually, so that if some players don't like certain changes they can disable them if they want?
(For example: I personally don't like the encumbered mechanic due to it breaking almost any post-ml content with any content mods, and I'd love being able to just, 'switch off' that change, but keep pretty much everything else)

Could you possibly add a config to enable and disable these changes individually, so that if some players don't like certain changes they can disable them if they want?
(For example: I personally don't like the encumbered mechanic due to it breaking almost any post-ml content with any content mods, and I'd love being able to just, 'switch off' that change, but keep pretty much everything else)

There are hundreds of changes so I would have to add a lot of options there, not to mention that the mod was balanced around them.

The entire point of the Encumbered mechanic was to prevent someone from becoming practically unkillable if they stacked enough defensive items, but in modded Post ML content I guess 120 Defense + DR is the average.

I think the easiest solution here is to just remove the soft cap outright once ML has been defeated, since even in Vanilla having a cap for defense after you beat the game is unnecessary.

I found this in the mod browser when I was going to install the glory mod but then I find this.
Suddenly I feel like beating mech bosses with an Anchor.
(Yes I will do that)

Go ahead, it's actually pretty decent against them now :)

Hi! i want to say that i really interested in your mod but i think "Armor encumbered" should have a way to turn it off and turn it on because ive decide to play summoner (with calamity+thorium+element awoken) and yes after post moonlord armor 125+ will be very normal,im saying that i want to play my new summoner with your mod because we all knows how suck summoner are before hardmode.

Hi! i want to say that i really interested in your mod but i think "Armor encumbered" should have a way to turn it off and turn it on because ive decide to play summoner (with calamity+thorium+element awoken) and yes after post moonlord armor 125+ will be very normal,im saying that i want to play my new summoner with your mod because we all knows how suck summoner are before hardmode.

An update has just been released, which turns off the armor limit once Moon Lord has been defeated. It will not bother your Post ML modded runs, but you will still have to worry about it before that point (which shouldn't be too much of a problem, 120 is a lot).

An update has just been released, which turns off the armor limit once Moon Lord has been defeated. It will not bother your Post ML modded runs, but you will still have to worry about it before that point (which shouldn't be too much of a problem, 120 is a lot).
Thank you ><

really nice mod, most of the rebalance changes really made the game more fun to play, specially mage/melee, though there is a couple things that could be adjusted:
harpoon: this weapon is still probably the most unreliable weapon in the game right now, I feel you could do something with it related to armor ignore or a bonus feature.
Autoswing to cursor in melee: I'd suggest changing this, in most cases, it's way harder to control your swings if there's an enemy behind you, basically making them be knocked in to you, which probably guarantees you'll be hit twice by the same mob, instead, make it just a basic autoswing, you can control this one and also it allows you to swap directions in middle of attacks for extra DPS (yes, you can do this with fast swords fairly consistently). After all, kiting with swords was what it helped in, but in a good amount of scenarios the enemies anyways were fairly resistant to the knockback for it to be useful, I actually don't know how to suggest a fix to this since both features have their cons and pros.

Also It'd be really nice if you could add compatibility to levelled mods since they can trigger the encumbered debuff easily (Nexperience, Kalciphoz RPG mod, and the rest), making it just be a hinderance to the gameplay.

after all, I repeat, this mod really made a lot of those boring vanilla weapons worth to craft/obtain, good job :)

harpoon: this weapon is still probably the most unreliable weapon in the game right now, I feel you could do something with it related to armor ignore or a bonus feature.

Harpoon is high on the list of "things I couldn't do because 1.4 was gaining up on me". The thing is, I really have no idea what to do to it. Ignoring armor is just an incredibly boring effect and dealing a bit more damage it's far from being the big buff it needs, and it's hard to come up with something special for a weapon with a design this boring.

I also want to make post-release tweaks to everything I already did before adding more changes.

Autoswing to cursor in melee: I'd suggest changing this, in most cases, it's way harder to control your swings if there's an enemy behind you, basically making them be knocked in to you, which probably guarantees you'll be hit twice by the same mob, instead, make it just a basic autoswing, you can control this one and also it allows you to swap directions in middle of attacks for extra DPS (yes, you can do this with fast swords fairly consistently). After all, kiting with swords was what it helped in, but in a good amount of scenarios the enemies anyways were fairly resistant to the knockback for it to be useful, I actually don't know how to suggest a fix to this since both features have their cons and pros.

useTurn (which is what I think you are describing) is always a negative thing. True melee is all about running backwards, and having your character turn their back against enemies and knocking them towards you and shrinking your sword hitbox massively is a very bad thing.

Situations like you are describing where two enemies approach from opposite directions are much rarer than you are making them sound, and even in those cases... you can just move your cursor. There is no real difference in practice.

Also It'd be really nice if you could add compatibility to levelled mods since they can trigger the encumbered debuff easily (Nexperience, Kalciphoz RPG mod, and the rest), making it just be a hinderance to the gameplay.

I really can't do a lot about mods that powercreep vanilla this much. I don't want to turn off Encumbered completely since with how many good defensive items we have in late game we need a soft cap to prevent someone from becoming unkillable, so I have to come up with something.

Is there any change conflicts with top content mods? Like calamity/thorium etc
Your changes looks very promising and not just cheap changes

Great work dude

EDIT: Tested, changes from each mods apply on the same item. Sunfury gives heavy burn effect, carries calamity 100% damage, and thorium damage conversion. Breaker Blade +100% damage also stacks with calamity's 100%, so it is now become 160 base damage lmao

Last edited:
Alright. Can I just say, wow.

I'm at the brink of battling the WoF, and I'm actually not dreading the battle. Pure Melee, and I've got myself a Fiery Greatsword and Flamarang (mainly because I haven't beaten the bee/dungeon) and they're serving me very, very well.

Well done.

Apparently I had crash when I try to hover into Vile Spitter (from Thorium), I don't know what cause this but it doesn't happen when I disable this mod. Can you please check it or at least look into it?
Maybe it because the weapon has something to do with the vanilla mechanic changes

Apparently I had crash when I try to hover into Vile Spitter (from Thorium), I don't know what cause this but it doesn't happen when I disable this mod. Can you please check it or at least look into it?
Maybe it because the weapon has something to do with the vanilla mechanic changes

There is no crash for me. Be more specific; What about your setup? Were there any other mods enabled? What did you exactly do when that crashed your game?

There is no crash for me. Be more specific; What about your setup? Were there any other mods enabled? What did you exactly do when that crashed your game?
I have few mods, Calamity Thorium and hamstar's stuffs.
And as I said, it only happen when I try to hover into that specific item. Then it crashed, tested few times and it is the cause as no other items in my testing causing crash.
Crash message said something about drawWater or something, I didn't ss it unfortunately

Alright, just finished a playthrough of this mod as pure Melee and I've gotta say that it was really good to play through. My favorite changes were probably to the Gungnir, Titanium Trident and ore broadswords since they all felt really fun to use in their respective stage of progression.

Back
Top Bottom