NPCs & Enemies Bandits + Bandit Hideout

Uchiha sasuke

Terrarian
I noticed there's sort of a lack of pre hardmode humanoid enemies in the underground layer, outside of biome specific spawns. It would be cool to have underground specific spawns in order to make the underground more than "caverns, but safer and closer to the surface". At the same time, I'd figure these mobs should address renewability issues in regards to ores needed for wiring.

There will be two types of bandits that can normally spawn in the world, anywhere in the underground layer. They would be uncommon spawns.
Bandit Scout:
Simple skeleton/zombie like enemy that runs into you to inflict contact damage. Would be statistically middle of the road between skeletons and zombies, but walk faster than either. On expert mode they would throw knives occasionally.
Drops:
Coins
Will always drop 4-8 basic ores (anything before demonite/crimtane), with higher chances to drop lower tier ones
Will drop 1 type of the following (Lesser healing and mana potions, ropes, throwing items, torches)
Rare drop: suspicious looking parchment

Bandit Archer:
A pre hardmode version of the skeleton archer, who fires lower velocity arrows that don't inflict "on fire". Would have comparable durability stats to zombies.
Drops:
Coins
Will drop 1 random pre hardmode surface chest available potion with the exception of healing and mana
Will always drop Basic ammo (arrows at first, musket balls after breaking a shadow orb)
Chance of a random type of gem
Rare drop: suspicious looking parchment

Bandit hideout:
Similar to an underground cabin, but made out of stone and better lit. Only spawns in underground layer, with a set amount per world (shouldn't be too many, no more than like 2 for a small world). The furniture is also not broken, and you are free to collect it. Always spawns a sharpening station and a crock pot. Bandits spawn more often in bandit hideouts. There will be one chest in it that always contains a suspicious looking document and normal underground chest loot.

Crock pot: Like a cooking pot but with a chance not to use ingredients, similar to the difference between an alchemy table and a placed bottle.

Suspicious looking parchment would be crafted with silk and black ink at a dye vat to make a suspicious looking document. A suspicious looking document can be used at any time of day to summon the Bandit Leader, a miniboss

Bandit Leader:
Miniboss (think king slime). Tall humanoid opponent that swings a broadsword in an arc and occasionally throws knives and grenades. On expert mode, he gains a smoke bomb that allows him to teleport like the king slime (ie needs to be able to fit into the space, can only teleport on solid blocks). He wouldn't be exceptionally tanky and should die quite a bit faster than the king slime. Besides the teleport he wouldn't have any ways to phase through walls or anything, so he would be manageable by cheese. He takes full damage from traps and the like.

Drops:
Coins
Always:
Endless rope coil: left click to place rope as if you had the rope item. Right click to throw rope as if you had the rope coil item. These ropes don't drop if destroyed to prevent farming exploits. Can be crafted with 20 silk, vines, or cobwebs to make endless versions of those types of rope.
crock pot
various pre demonite/crimtane ores
Potions

Chance of:
Bandit mask
Pila: Throwing item similar to javelin. Does not stack or consume itself upon use.
15-25 Smoke grenade: Deals 1 damage with high knockback. If you hit yourself with it, gain invisibility.
Thieves' scarf: lowers enemy aggro (pre hardmode putrid scent with no innate stat bonus)

Drops (expert)
Bandit's secret: an ale item with unlimited uses and a reduced defense penalty (-2 as opposed to -4). Placed into the ammo slot it functions as endless ammo for the ale tosser and causes it to do 3 more damage than it would with regular ale.

Last edited:
Seems far more balanced than usual suggestions. I like the fact the boss is cheesable! +1

EDIT: there's already a smoke bomb in-game

Seems far more balanced than usual suggestions. I like the fact the boss is cheesable! +1

EDIT: there's already a smoke bomb in-game
Thanks for the feedback. Good catch. I forgot about the smoke bomb because it’s a novelty item. I changed the name to smoke grenade to avoid redundancy.

I just figured the boss should be cheesable because its a mini boss, and mini bosses should be cheesable like the king slime. It not being tied to progression also opens up the possibility.

This is a really good suggestion man, nothing over the top and it's balanced pretty well. Something like this would be nice to see in game.

Always:
Endless rope coil: left click to place rope as if you had the rope item. Right click to throw rope as if you had the rope coil item. These ropes don't drop if destroyed to prevent farming exploits. Can be crafted with 20 silk, vines, or cobwebs to make endless versions of those types of rope.
shouldn't it be like 20 coils of the material? although i do like the idea, it might be way to easy to do that. DEVS PLZ ADD THIS ITS A GREAT IDEA WE NEED A NEW MINIBOSS slimey-boi isnt cutting it anymore @Leinfors @Cenex @all the other devs!

I like this idea, not too over powered and would fit nicely in the game. I wonder what their stats would be.

i say it should be put at a level of toungsten or gold gear and above
I can see this for the boss but I don’t agree with putting it on the normal mobs. It would prevent it from addressing renewability in the long long term. Also, having them sometimes drop the better ones but not always discourages farming, and instead encourages players to get out there and go deeper. The point is to give them a taste but not offer them a superior source of the ores.

Honestly, I like this suggestion.

It has an in-world narrative and something leading you to an in-world structure (Like how i did with my Dark key and obsidian alter)

I would say that there should be some sort of "Bandit headquarters" deeper underground where the Miniboss spawns naturally, that would cement the bandits as organised.

This could get some backlash as you are effectively killing other humans, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I can see this for the boss but I don’t agree with putting it on the normal mobs. It would prevent it from addressing renewability in the long long term. Also, having them sometimes drop the better ones but not always discourages farming, and instead encourages players to get out there and go deeper. The point is to give them a taste but not offer them a superior source of the ores.
Huh? I meant, if you don't have gold or better, it's incredibly hard. keep someone from skipping an entire part of the game. for example, if you don't have at least one item of tungsten or gold, it would get increased health, defense and regen. make it harder for someone with a wooden bow or yoyo and armor from cheesing it.

oohhhh, i see, yeah the boss would have the bonus mentioned above, but the enemies would be about iron gear-level. But i meant the PLAYER needs to have gold or above.

Huh? I meant, if you don't have gold or better, it's incredibly hard. keep someone from skipping an entire part of the game. for example, if you don't have at least one item of tungsten or gold, it would get increased health, defense and regen. make it harder for someone with a wooden bow or yoyo and armor from cheesing it.

oohhhh, i see, yeah the boss would have the bonus mentioned above, but the enemies would be about iron gear-level. But i meant the PLAYER needs to have gold or above.
Wtf I thought you were talking about what it drops, not its stats (ie having it drop only tungsten+ores when killed). I don't agree with this at all, I think its fine if they cheese it, its not linked to progression, doesn't drop anything great, and isn't super rewarding to farm over and over again.

Ahh, i see. yeah, if it drops anything better than gold, it'll be too tempting to not farm.

Back
Top Bottom