Weapons & Equip Banner Slot.

L0ST5ILVER

Official Terrarian
Good day, everyone! I'm here to suggest yet another a new feature before 1.4 rolls around.
I suggest a new equipment slot, The "Banner" Slot.

And it works like this:
__________________________________________________________________________________

The new Banner slot would appear under the Equipment section of the inventory.

• You will select any enemy banner of your choice (Decorative banners will not work) and place them into the slot, once in the slot you will gain the full effects of the banner as if it were placed down. While it's equipped, the effects will apply anywhere you are in the world as long as a banner is equipped.
  • If other banners are in the area, your banner effect will stack with them like normal, but if the same banner is in the area (Ei: Going near a placed blue slime banner with the blue slime banner already equipped), it should go without saying that the effects will not and can not stack.
  • The banner slot is limited to 1 banner, this is to ensure that this feature remains balanced and still incentivises using placed banners.
  • If you're playing multiplayer, the effects will affect all other players in the area with the same effect radius of the normal, placed banners. Alternatively, this might also be team specific, so only people on your team will gain the effects from the banners, providing they are close enough.

Here's a small depiction of this new slot:
Untitled-1.png
Untitled-2.png

Please pardon the crudity of this example, as it is just that, an example, just something to demonstrate this suggestion.

What are the practical uses of this? I can think of a few, but two main use comes to mind: Farming and Events.
We've all spent hours grinding for the rod of discord, or the turtle shells, and maybe even the ancient cobalt armour from the Eaters, and just waiting for them to spawn is one thing, but killing them is another, obviously you can place down banners in your local area to have an edge over them when they finally spawn, but that requires you to stay in that one area, while if we could equip one banner and gain it's effects, we could go wherever we want in the underground hallow and kill all the Chaos Elementals you please.

Now,
A common argument to this suggestion might be: "Well people just use afk farms for the rod of discord, which means they don't ever need to move - so a placed banner would be enough, deeming this suggestion unnecessary"
~And I respectfully disagree, there are quite a few problems with this argument:
1. Not everybody likes to use AFK farms as many think it's cheating or unfair.
2. The Rod is discord is not the only item you may grind for, the aforementioned eaters and the likes of many dungeon enemies are not as easy to AFK farm, so having a banner equipped to take out those pesky Blue Armoured Bones quicker to get your beloved Armour Polish, Wisp in a Bottle and the rest, Plus the ability to roam freely without having to stick around one banner ultimately makes the process much more tolerable.

The other potential use for this feature is events, many people find certain event enemies particularly problematic.
Goblin warriors and their high health and defense come to mind, if you're on your 2nd or 3rd Goblin Army event, you might want to use the banner to make them easier to kill. Granted, Goblin armies normally take place near the player's home, so maybe this feature wouldn't be AS useful here, but it would still serve a use, then again another tough enemy such as many Solar Eclipse enemies (Which affect all of the overworld) will definitely warrant a spot for this feature, being able to take out a particular enemy just a bit faster, no matter where you are, is definitely a +1 in my book.

So my suggestion is small and niché, but it is definitely not unnecessary or pointless, it fills a roll that I believe would be beneficial to the game as a practical, balanced and helpful feature.

And at the end of the day, Why not? Why does us sticking them to our backs make them work any less than they do being placed on the roof of your house?

And with that, thank you for reading this suggestion, I hope you all approve, any ideas and further tweaks to this suggestion are appreciated, and I hope you all have a great day. :)
Kind Regards,
-L0ST

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-2_16-11-48.png
    upload_2019-7-2_16-11-48.png
    230.6 KB · Views: 236
  • upload_2019-7-2_16-13-21.png
    upload_2019-7-2_16-13-21.png
    229.7 KB · Views: 183
  • upload_2019-7-2_16-13-31.png
    upload_2019-7-2_16-13-31.png
    229.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
HmMMmMmMmMmmM

This would have been useful against Clingers while I was sitting in my Underground Corruption area, farming Armoured Skeletons for Armour Polish, the last piece needed for the Ankh Shield I've been making. Finally got it this morning.

Oh wow I love this! It would be so helpful if this was added, maybe trophies could work too? I know they don't currently give buffs but that's only because you're meant to move around while fighting bosses...

Oh wow I love this! It would be so helpful if this was added, maybe trophies could work too? I know they don't currently give buffs but that's only because you're meant to move around while fighting bosses...
I don't know, maybe. Though I think bosses should probably stay unchanged. Maybe you could equip a trophy and it will apply a skin to your shield?

Banners are made to be placed, not equipped.
Also what’s u mean “to your shield.” There aren’t shields except for the ankth, cobalt, obsidian shields.

Banners are made to be placed, not equipped.
You seem to have totally misunderstood the purpose of this thread. That's what I'm suggesting here, that they should be equippable, perhaps you should read the thread thoroughly before making a comment.
Also what’s u mean “to your shield.” There aren’t shields except for the ankth, cobalt, obsidian shields.
You kind of just answered your own question there, "Maybe you could equip a trophy and it will apply a skin to your shield?" is literally what it says on the tin, depending on the trophy you have equipped depends on the custom skin your shield gets. (Which can be any shield your player can display, which are: Cobalt, Obsidian, Ankh, Solar Flare and Cthulhu shields). But do not be confused as I was not actually suggesting that trophies should be equippable and apply a custom skin to shields, if I was I would've made it's own thread, it was just an insignificant idea for the sake of conversation. :happy:
My additional comment has nothing to do with this suggestion.

HUD wise, I think this might need relocation. The buff slots go right below that, and that doesn't leave much space. It makes a decent amount of sense to just shift them over to the left, so it should be fine.

I think this is a great idea, but it could definitely use some work. You could be able to toggle the visibility of the banner, and when it was visible it would appear behind the player's head. Also, it could have a vanity slot for other banners (functional and decorative). I know that second idea might look out of place in the equipment tab, but it's just an idea.

I think this is a great idea, but it could definitely use some work. You could be able to toggle the visibility of the banner, and when it was visible it would appear behind the player's head. Also, it could have a vanity slot for other banners (functional and decorative). I know that second idea might look out of place in the equipment tab, but it's just an idea.
The reason I didn't suggest this is because: how would the banner be viewed? As a cape? Just dangling? And when combined with a pet, light pet, any armour effects, a shield, maybe a balloon etc. it would make the character look very cluttered. That's the only reason I didn't add it. :)

bumpty bump (I hope I'm allowed to do this)
I really would love some more feedback on this suggestion! I spent a lot of time on it (As I always do xd)

bumpty bump (I hope I'm allowed to do this)
I really would love some more feedback on this suggestion! I spent a lot of time on it (As I always do xd)
Hi there @L0ST5ILVER, just as a tip for going forward, thread bumps are against the rules. :) If you added substantial content to the first post, it’s permitted that you can then reply to the thread (thus bumping it up) to alert members that the first post has additional content. But a bump by itself isn’t allowed.

Hi there @L0ST5ILVER, just as a tip for going forward, thread bumps are against the rules. :) If you added substantial content to the first post, it’s permitted that you can then reply to the thread (thus bumping it up) to alert members that the first post has additional content. But a bump by itself isn’t allowed.
Okay! I will. Thanks for the heads up! =)

This is a really novel idea! Banner effects always felt a bit underwhelming, since despite being stackable, they were immobile, and thus ONLY useful for arenas. Would certainly make use of this to grind out some semirare drops!

I like this suggestion, however I think decorative banners should be able to be put into the slot. The banner should actually show up on the player as a form of vanity.

Reactions: Bry
Awesome idea. Also include a team banner which changes colour depending on in which team you are. And yeah, the banner should be shown ans vanity too, probably on the back.

I think this is a well thought-out idea. In the case of banners, it would definitely be useful to be able to bring the effect with you everywhere. I support it.

Back
Top Bottom