PS4 Been Waiting

StupidBats

Terrarian
For 1.4 (JE) to drop on the ps4 for some time now, basically since it came out for Pc. I remember waiting on one update for this game for like a year ( Something to do with finally adding a wrench so us console folk could make the grand design or something) and it gets a bit much at times. Why does it take so long for these pc games to "port" for systems like ps4/xbox? Stardew valley is a classic example of this as updates for the console versions were almost non existent yet strangely even before adequate console updates were released mobile versions got green lights.

So why does it take so long to update these games for console? I have heard various stories through the years with just about every excuse you can think of like it takes to port such a large game or my favorite the patch must go through weeks of Sony/microsoft validation ect....Mortal Shell dropped last tuesday (the graphics are a bit more advanced than this or stardew) and by thursday I counted at least 6 updates I had to download. It's priority nothing more

Unfortunately gaming is all about money now how much they can make how fast they can make it and more importantly where they can make it. Different platforms pc mobile ps4 xbox ect I believe are seen as more of just new money now sadly and once the money has been made it's like yeah we'll get to it when we get to it, the motivation is gone because the priority is no longer present.

i dunno, stardew valley has all platforms at the same point except that mobile doesn’t have multiplayer but that’s only because there is technical barriers

It takes long to update because of how the game is built. For Terraria there isn't a single code base from which to build for the different platforms. Also, each platform are handled by different developers. ReLogic only see and deal with the code for pc. Any changes they do doesn't automatically transfer over to the other platforms. Each developer for the different platforms (Pipeworks for consoles until now) has to look at the changes to see if they are relevant to them, and then add it to the code base for their platform. Of course they may have to modify things to make it work. UI for instance are handled differently on different platforms.

You can't really compare the situation with Stardew Valley. I believe ConcernedApe (the developer) build for the different platforms from a single code base. And when he adds new features, he makes sure they work on all supported platforms.

SV for consoles may be caught up now but it was a very long process just to get caught up with pc, so many lies were given to the console players through years it's hard to know where to begin. Perhaps it will be released in time for the ps5?

I don't really know much about SV for console, I have only ever played it on pc (and that was a while ago). From what I can tell from information online, it seems like console and pc are on the same version and ConcernedApe handles both. It's quite common for the console/mobile ports to be handled by a different developer, especially for Indie games. Depending on how the game was built it's not a straightforward process to bring it to another platform. You may have to make major changes.

Many Indie developers don't really know how to develop for different platforms. They don't even know if their game will be successful or not, so they usually start development on the platform that is cheapest to develop for (pc). If their game is successful, it may get ported to other platforms. A publisher may like the game and buys the publishing rights to bring it to other platforms. The work to bring it over is usually handled by a different developer that knows the target platform well.

Only rarely the original developer brings the game to other platforms as well. Twice the headache but they get to keep the income that brings.

Last edited:
remember everyone that making games, even 2D pixel games is not as straight forward as one may think. Maybe while your waiting for the console version of your favorite game to receive it's port you can try to learn to code yourself! As someone who took a course in video game design and computer science I can attest that coding can be fun and challenging. And who knows what may come of your exploration into the world of coding, you may get some handy skills of your own and maybe become some kind of developer of software or games yourself!

Create a game yourself :red:

Ever since I first played on my intellivision actually that's all I really ever wanted to do, though in my mid to late high school years I was diagnosed with a mental illness and have now been on medication for years which hinder your thought process sometimes. While I appreciate your "get gud" response of just make a game it actually upsets me that I cannot.

I understand your frustrations but you have to understand that 1.4 is a massive update and they just started working on it for consoles, So it will definitely be a while before 1.4 comes to console but considering how fast DR studios is making 1.4 for mobile, You can expect it to come soon after that comes out

I have been playing terraria for years off and on, though I have to be careful because the game is like a drug for me if I start playing it will just consume me for weeks. Speaking of playstation 5 what with it coming out soon will this be on there?

Shouldn't ALL PS4 games work on PS5? I haven't followed what happens in the PlayStation camp closely, but I think the gist is that backwards compatibility is finally a thing. Your games should continue to work without the developer having to do anything.

Shouldn't ALL PS4 games work on PS5? I haven't followed what happens in the PlayStation camp closely, but I think the gist is that backwards compatibility is finally a thing. Your games should continue to work without the developer having to do anything.
there is going to be the ability to do a one way upgrade for games on PlayStation and Xbox, one rumored catch for PlayStation is that the controller hardware won't be forwards compatible or backwards compatible for games. You want to play a disc version PS4 game on PS5? rumor mill about Sony says sucks to be you, your gonna need a PS4 dualshock controller. However this may change sometime before or after the launch of the PS5 and is nothing but whispers on the wind of the gaming scene.

I still own some ps1 classics I bought years ago that well I haven't been able to play for years. I was asking about the ps5 because it's close to release so are the people in charge of porting this to current consoles now working on a "ps5" port or how's it work?

If you want to play your old games, keep your old consoles. No point in selling them, Gamestop will give you like 10 bucks for it.
While that is true, the problem with that is that the hardware goes bad eventually. You can't fix it by cleaning it. Laser goes bad (I have a few PS1 with broken lasers) and replacement parts are too expensive. There is also the problem of connecting the console to a newer TV (picture is :red:). Newer consoles have a hdd and they also go bad eventually (though it haven't happened to me yet). Even the discs themselves can go bad if they are stored in a humid environment.

My PS2 was still working when I put it in storage. I have no idea if it still works. I bought it on release day. Many of those went bad long before a successor came along, but mine kept working for some reason.

I still own some ps1 classics I bought years ago that well I haven't been able to play for years. I was asking about the ps5 because it's close to release so are the people in charge of porting this to current consoles now working on a "ps5" port or how's it work?
Have you tried PlayStation Now?

Last edited:
The playstation classics were purchased through the playstation store, as far as like say my old disk or cartridges from yesteryear I sometimes can't remember what I did last night so 10 years ago lol. Ps now has a few ps2 games more ps3 and 4 games but I didn't see one ps1 game unless I overlooked it

Back
Top Bottom