Console Beetle armour VS Dragon Armour

ED209

Plantera
Self-explanitory title really, any thoughts? I'm not seeing a huge benefit from the beetle armour (both types), when I can switch between turtle & dragon.

The bonuses from beetle don't really kick in unless you avoid taking damage. But I haven't played with it too much yet cause I'm not a speed runner :p

defensive bettle has its merits however dragon is statistically very similar to 2 stack beetle armor so unless you get to 3 stacks dragon has better offensive bonuses at the cost of 1 defense...

That's what I thought. When I first saw the beetle husks drop I was very excited, but now they're in the armour chest with everything else.

Who'd have thought there actually a benefit to having the console version? I'm driving myself mad trying to get things to "hoik". I've decided it can't be done.

I've look into both, the beetle shell is the best for defense...and only that, beetle scail mail is better than dragon only when you face a boss/event becouse (even with the lack of movement speed) it does more damage with just a little less critical chance than dragon.
Dragon is better for movement.

Who'd have thought there actually a benefit to having the console version? I'm driving myself mad trying to get things to "hoik". I've decided it can't be done.

hoiking is definitely possible. I do it in my main world.
you just have to make sure you build it correctly for the size of the object you want to hoik (yourself/mobs/3-block tall things, 2-block tall things, 1-block tall things, etc.)

however, if you want to build a hoik for moving yourself/other players, know that, on ps3 at least, the screen won't be able to load fast enough to keep up with your movement and it looks all glitchy. :(
same as using the hammered platform elevators.

I've actually done it since posting this, but I've not heard of hammered platform elevators, I'll look into that!

I've actually done it since posting this, but I've not heard of hammered platform elevators, I'll look into that!

just make a ladder out of platforms, 2 platforms wide at least (I use 3) and hammer one of the platforms to the "down" position (not stairs) and it will propel you upwards.
I was sad when I built a horizontal hoik track and saw that the screen can't load fast enough. I was going to build an animated pixel art using a series of pixel arts as different frames of an animation, horizontal hoiks and inactive teleporters.. :(

just make a ladder out of platforms, 2 platforms wide at least (I use 3) and hammer one of the platforms to the "down" position (not stairs) and it will propel you upwards.
I was sad when I built a horizontal hoik track and saw that the screen can't load fast enough. I was going to build an animated pixel art using a series of pixel arts as different frames of an animation, horizontal hoiks and inactive teleporters.. :(
Hey guys, great convo but has nothing to do with the subject in the OP so please take it to PM or profiles :)

Fair enough, this is my first online forum. Back to the main subject then, I've found that beetle armour (scalemail) is better for the semi-AFK farm, but dragon armour is better for day-to-day exploring.

Does defense even matter anymore? My set uses beetle armor and I have 72 DEFENSE without ANY BONUSES. Also, My Legendary Terra Blade does 134 damage thanks to it's attack increases and the beetle shell cuts attack damage that I take by up to 45%! And that is just the shell the scale mail increases melee damage and speed by up to 30% if you keep attacking.

Does defense even matter anymore? My set uses beetle armor and I have 72 DEFENSE without ANY BONUSES. Also, My Legendary Terra Blade does 134 damage thanks to it's attack increases and the beetle shell cuts attack damage that I take by up to 45%! And that is just the shell the scale mail increases melee damage and speed by up to 30% if you keep attacking.

IMO, defense takes a distant back-seat to attack power once you are in hardmode, especially when fighting any events. Case in point, my melee guy has over 100 defense (106?) with the beetle shell and warding stuff and he gets owned very easily, whereas if I switch to the scalemail or dragon armor and menacing accessories I can survive until the very end. Damage output is way more important than defense during the events, and probably during any boss fights.

So, IMO, dragon armor is still the best for melee, followed closely by the scalemail set.

If you don't want to sacrifice so much defense, then join a party with a friend and each of you use a paladin shield for a nice boost...keep it menacing though.

IMO, defense takes a distant back-seat to attack power once you are in hardmode, especially when fighting any events. Case in point, my melee guy has over 100 defense (106?) with the beetle shell and warding stuff and he gets owned very easily, whereas if I switch to the scalemail or dragon armor and menacing accessories I can survive until the very end. Damage output is way more important than defense during the events, and probably during any boss fights.
Yeah, its like "kill it before it kills you" thats why (a little off-topic) i use spectre armor instad of critical mage with vamp. Knifes on events.

Are you not including turtle armor because as it is stated in the wiki the beetle armor isn't a pure upgrade for the turtle armor so why not count the turtle armor considering that the only major difference is that turtle armor focuses on melee damage and crit compared to turtle which focuses on melee and melee speed and more attack and speed for the scale mail(beetle) and more defense for the shell and if you don't care about the set bonus you could go with the dragon mask, the beetle scale mail and turtle leggings for a focus on damage or for a focus on defense you could use the dragon mask, the beetle shell and beetle leggings but if you can't decide why not make all 4 (2 for beetle)

Back
Top Bottom