Before Hardmode

Kaiser2132

Terrarian
I opened a New world and its :red:ed up becuz i didnt prepared enough before-hardmode things so i want to ask some questions
1) are the Villages are necessary? I gather all the npcs to a main base and didnt Set any pylons. Should i Set some pylons or teleporters for every biome?
2) Are the fishing necessary and how can it help me ? I heard something about it says its too boring, waste of time etc.
3)(And most important one for me ) I want to make hellelevators for every biome edge and i planning to make them with sticky bombs. This will also help me with dealing hallow and evil biome spread. I will make hellelevators for every biome start and 3 horizontal strips ( underground , cavern , and hell start ) to prevent evil biome spread. İs it okey to make hellelevators with sticky bombs like 6 Block wide ? And is it important to break walls to stop spreading? I read a comment about it says it can spread from walls , you need to break walls. Do i really have to break walls in hellelevators.
4) can you give a pic about best tunnel design to stop spreading ?

Villages are necessary because happy npcs sell more and better stuff. Also pylons provide an easy transport method for you on your map. Fishing is good for gaining access to both decorative stuff and informational items (fishing power/no breaking fishing line/ etc) along with both water and honey tools (sponge/bucket). The minimum gap you want or need for hellevators should be 5…some say 4…but 5 is safer to prevent corruption because vines can cross gaps. Sorry I cannot provide a picture right now. Also I just started playing again so I am not sure about the walls being able to spread.

Depends on if you wanna prepare a lot or not. you don't really need to overprepare with hellevators everywhere, because the appearance of the "V" can still mess it up a lot and then you worked a lot for nothing (no, it will be of some help, but I would say it doesn't worth the hassle.
If you're confident, you can set up barriers early hardmode when you already know where the V is, but that can be difficult with all the hardmode monsters around.

1.) Pylons are not -necessary- but a HUGE quality of life thing. you can teleport between your towns, making traveling a lot easier! happy NPCs also have better prices and stuff, but that's just a small added bonus, the convininence of having easier travel already worths it, I think.

2.) if you say "others said it's boring" did you actually try it? if you say you think it's boring, sure, I can agree on that, but give it a try at least. it's not very exciting, but I wouldn't exactly say it's that bad. you can get a bunch of really cool stuff from it. just don't try to spend entire days with fishing, because it's super boring that way. but a little fishing sometimes won't be that bad, I think.
by the way this is similar to potion brewing and greenhouses. initially it seems complicated, but it really is not complicated. (IMO)

3.) as for hellevators (again) I think they're not necessary, but as for quaranteening areas, well, in general, spreading biomes' blocks (e.g. ebonstone) can - and will - infect curruptible blocks in a 3 blocks radius. anything that is 4 or more blocks far however, won't be infected, so a gap of 3 blocks - or said gap filled with non-corruptible blocks - will work just fine!
some background walls can get currupted, but they can't spread the corruption (etc.) to solid blocks, and the spread will stop in like about 5 blocks distance from the initial source anyway.
the only exception is areas with grass. vines and thorns can spread the biomes past the 3 blocks distance, so at such areas, I would go for like 8 blocks wide gap for extra safety - against thorns. as for vines, you can just try to block them at problematic areas, or like just replace the blocks where they're from with something else that grows no vines.

Depends on if you wanna prepare a lot or not. you don't really need to overprepare with hellevators everywhere, because the appearance of the "V" can still mess it up a lot and then you worked a lot for nothing (no, it will be of some help, but I would say it doesn't worth the hassle.
If you're confident, you can set up barriers early hardmode when you already know where the V is, but that can be difficult with all the hardmode monsters around.

1.) Pylons are not -necessary- but a HUGE quality of life thing. you can teleport between your towns, making traveling a lot easier! happy NPCs also have better prices and stuff, but that's just a small added bonus, the convininence of having easier travel already worths it, I think.

2.) if you say "others said it's boring" did you actually try it? if you say you think it's boring, sure, I can agree on that, but give it a try at least. it's not very exciting, but I wouldn't exactly say it's that bad. you can get a bunch of really cool stuff from it. just don't try to spend entire days with fishing, because it's super boring that way. but a little fishing sometimes won't be that bad, I think.
by the way this is similar to potion brewing and greenhouses. initially it seems complicated, but it really is not complicated. (IMO)

3.) as for hellevators (again) I think they're not necessary, but as for quaranteening areas, well, in general, spreading biomes' blocks (e.g. ebonstone) can - and will - infect curruptible blocks in a 3 blocks radius. anything that is 4 or more blocks far however, won't be infected, so a gap of 3 blocks - or said gap filled with non-corruptible blocks - will work just fine!
some background walls can get currupted, but they can't spread the corruption (etc.) to solid blocks, and the spread will stop in like about 5 blocks distance from the initial source anyway.
the only exception is areas with grass. vines and thorns can spread the biomes past the 3 blocks distance, so at such areas, I would go for like 8 blocks wide gap for extra safety - against thorns. as for vines, you can just try to block them at problematic areas, or like just replace the blocks where they're from with something else that grows no vines.
Thx so much. Last question : how can i know that V shape spawn? Like how can i know where is gonna get corrupted by the v shape ?

Thx so much. Last question : how can i know that V shape spawn? Like how can i know where is gonna get corrupted by the v shape ?
short answer: you won't know in advance.

longer answer: it spawns about the middle with its bottom part. and in a V shape. but other info are difficult to know.
the dungeon's color can indicate which side the evil, and which side the hallow will spawn, in the case of pink and blue dungeon. I think blue meant evil on the left side, and pink meant evil on the right side, but I might mixed them up... plus, this was so pre 1.4, haven't done much testing of this theory post 1.4. also green dungeon is no help with this either, because it doesn't tells where the evil will spawn.

additionally, since 1.4, on a certain map (seed) it seems where the evil will spawn, is pre-determined, so if you defeat WoF, go back to check you'll see where it is, if the game would crash, or you close it via Alt +F4 or something (assuming the game did not autosave yet post WoF), and then defeat WoF again the V should spawn pretty much the exact same place.
that has very little use to be utilised for normal standard playthroughts though.

I think, while spreading evil (and hallow) can be a problem, I usually would not worry about it too much early game. of course, once you know how to properly protect against them, setting up barriers isn't that difficult (except a few areas, like deserts) but like, I would say focus on having fun, instead of digging a bajilion tunnels for protection.

short answer: you won't know in advance.

longer answer: it spawns about the middle with its bottom part. and in a V shape. but other info are difficult to know.
the dungeon's color can indicate which side the evil, and which side the hallow will spawn, in the case of pink and blue dungeon. I think blue meant evil on the left side, and pink meant evil on the right side, but I might mixed them up... plus, this was so pre 1.4, haven't done much testing of this theory post 1.4. also green dungeon is no help with this either, because it doesn't tells where the evil will spawn.

additionally, since 1.4, on a certain map (seed) it seems where the evil will spawn, is pre-determined, so if you defeat WoF, go back to check you'll see where it is, if the game would crash, or you close it via Alt +F4 or something (assuming the game did not autosave yet post WoF), and then defeat WoF again the V should spawn pretty much the exact same place.
that has very little use to be utilised for normal standard playthroughts though.

I think, while spreading evil (and hallow) can be a problem, I usually would not worry about it too much early game. of course, once you know how to properly protect against them, setting up barriers isn't that difficult (except a few areas, like deserts) but like, I would say focus on having fun, instead of digging a bajilion tunnels for protection.
Yea ill try. I ask questions like that becuz 3 days ago i started to hardmode for the first time snd all of my world got corrupted. I dont want to happen something like that again. So i need to focus grinding in early hardmode , then corruption and hallow. Got it thx very much bro.

Yea ill try. I ask questions like that becuz 3 days ago i started to hardmode for the first time snd all of my world got corrupted. I dont want to happen something like that again. So i need to focus grinding in early hardmode , then corruption and hallow. Got it thx very much bro.
my very first playthrough's world got like 60%+ crimsoned XD it happens
I did try to dig trenches, but then the V messed it all up XD
so, I would say that can turn out a waste of time.

I would rather buy a bunch of dynamites - and craft sticky dynamites from them - early hardmode, and make a barrier once I know where the V is. of course, that can be a lot more dangerous than in late pre-hardmode because of all the hardmode monsters around, - that's why I wouldn't recommend it while you're not familiar enough with hardmode. but once you know what you're doing, it's not at all impossible. - but uhh... I really don't like if it involves a corrupted/crimsoned desert... making a barrier there can be a huge pain because of djinns XD
(also, mind it, explosives can destroy background walls if the explosion reaches the edges of said background walls, so, if you don't wanna lose them in some areas be careful with explosives.)

my very first playthrough's world got like 60%+ crimsoned XD it happens
I did try to dig trenches, but then the V messed it all up XD
so, I would say that can turn out a waste of time.

I would rather buy a bunch of dynamites - and craft sticky dynamites from them - early hardmode, and make a barrier once I know where the V is. of course, that can be a lot more dangerous than in late pre-hardmode because of all the hardmode monsters around, - that's why I wouldn't recommend it while you're not familiar enough with hardmode. but once you know what you're doing, it's not at all impossible. - but uhh... I really don't like if it involves a corrupted/crimsoned desert... making a barrier there can be a huge pain because of djinns XD
(also, mind it, explosives can destroy background walls if the explosion reaches the edges of said background walls, so, if you don't wanna lose them in some areas be careful with explosives.
Ok i could try to spot v and barrier it with sticky bombs. I have another question. How much tunnel height is okey and which deep is the maximum reach of v ? Like caverns at 1500' or underground 800' ?

Ok i could try to spot v and barrier it with sticky bombs. I have another question. How much tunnel height is okey and which deep is the maximum reach of v ? Like caverns at 1500' or underground 800' ?
The V goes all the way from the bottom to the top. though some like hell is no real concern since ash can't be infected. same goes for anything else immune to it, but most stuff will get infected.
If you wanna prepare, it might be better to dig some trenches to protect settlements.
But again, I wouldn't really worry about it. it's difficult to properly prepare while you're not familiar with how it works.

The V goes all the way from the bottom to the top. though some like hell is no real concern since ash can't be infected. same goes for anything else immune to it, but most stuff will get infected.
If you wanna prepare, it might be better to dig some trenches to protect settlements.
But again, I wouldn't really worry about it. it's difficult to properly prepare while you're not familiar with how it works.
Ok i will dig hellelevators to just prevent jungle spread and protect my base and villages, then locate the v and quarentine. I just want to finish the game. Otherwise i ferl like all of my efforts gone for nothing and for now i did quite well i made 4 pylon villages. I made nights edge got 2 platinium coin good stuffs. Just not very good accesories amd fishing ( im planing to do it later ) for now. I fully explored dungeon and half of the jungle ( spotted hive and killedr Bee like 12 times ) full molten Set etc. I think theres nothing much left for before hardmode. Ty for your help bro and if you have any suggestion plz write down below

Ok i will dig hellelevators to just prevent jungle spread and protect my base and villages, then locate the v and quarentine. I just want to finish the game. Otherwise i ferl like all of my efforts gone for nothing and for now i did quite well i made 4 pylon villages. I made nights edge got 2 platinium coin good stuffs. Just not very good accesories amd fishing ( im planing to do it later ) for now. I fully explored dungeon and half of the jungle ( spotted hive and killedr Bee like 12 times ) full molten Set etc. I think theres nothing much left for before hardmode. Ty for your help bro and if you have any suggestion plz write down below
Good luck with it. I still think though digging several hellevators is a hassle ...well, maybe it you meand dig with dynamites, then it will go faster, if you don't mind how destructive they are... but it can be a big waste of time, if the V appears in a way that it's on the both side of the hellevator.

by the way, I dunno about "I just want to finish the game." you're about halfway in that playthrough. of course, there are all sorts of ways to play the game, but I think pretty much all stages of the game can be enjoyed for what it is - and many times again in many new playthroughs XD
late pre-hardmode is indeed a fun time by the way. you're quite strong, that most mobs mean no problem. but if you see hardmode before? it can be very tough at first.

no much suggestions though, you'll see how things are. ah, but, if you didn't yet, you might wanna find the jungle temple too, it might be easier to find it pre-hardmode, even if you can't enter it normally.

You don't need to worry too much about it, really. Pretty much anything that the invasive biomes do can be reversed with an item that can be bought early-ish in hardmode. If you're worried about the spread making NPC houses uninhabitable, put down a bunch of sunflowers nearby where the spread won't reach them. Each sunflower counteracts a certain number of evil biome blocks.
If you're only looking to defeat all the bosses, the biome spread actually isn't too much of an issue. Granted, there is some randomness at play here, like whether it quickly takes over your jungle or not. But if you just want to get through the game, the spread probably won't have enough time to take over the world. If you want to keep building or beautifying the world for a long time, there is eventually the clentaminator. And if this is your first world, there's a fair chance that you will want to create an expert or master world later, so you might not care what happens to the first world in the end.
One (of several) reasons you might want to go fishing is that you need some angler quest items to craft the cellphone (and later shellphone) which will reduce inventory clutter.

Back
Top Bottom