Pixel Art Beginner Spriting Guide

So I just download the GIMP link version 2.6.whatever and follow the guide and I'm good?

Edit: I think I'm doing this completely wrong. All it is, is MS Paint with a black and white checkers board. how are sprites so good if one square of the blade could be crooked? Also this is pixel art? more like paint art...I see no pixels nor the option to have them. Can someone help me?

Last edited:
So I just download the GIMP link version 2.6.whatever and follow the guide and I'm good?

Edit: I think I'm doing this completely wrong. All it is, is MS Paint with a black and white checkers board. how are sprites so good if one square of the blade could be crooked? Also this is pixel art? more like paint art...I see no pixels nor the option to have them. Can someone help me?
You have to change the size of the brush and zoom in

TUT08.png
mine looks exactly like this one only colored in. I can't figure out the shading stuff. I don't have the option for hard edges if that's the problem. I can't get one pixel to overlap the other if I zoom in. It just won't let me. Help?

My shading always ends up being way too smooth and lacks contrast, and I'm not even trying to make it so. It's like a reflex.
Like this sprite, for example:

Rocket Sniper, BIGGER!.png

What should I do to make it less smooth?

@Balduran since I "stole" your sprite, would you like me to post "I stole Baldurans War Axe sprite" in my signature? If so for how long? As long as it clears my name I don't care.

I slept on this, and realized I just don't even care if my guide helps anymore. This way I won't have to ever come back here.
Good riddance.
Well it's a pity you feel this way. A lot of people, including myself, found this to be a very valuable resource.
Seeing as you are leaving/have left this community I wanted to wish you good luck in the future. It was nice working with you.

The guide is back. I've went too far with my anger and resentment.
I regret losing my temper, but that was exactly what I needed to get over it.
Staff decided it won't get re-stickied because I'm an evil :red:, but you can try petitioning them - That's on you.

I still meant everything I said, but having reached a point of catharsis, I think I'm finally free.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom