best game you have played!

wat do you like better?

• minecraft

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Terraria, Minecraft, Stardew Valley, Geometry Dash, Sonic the hedgehog, Super Mario bros, Pacman, Ace attorney, Touhou, Undertale. :)

In recent times? Probably Crosscode (Amazing all round) or Rabi Ribi (deceptively amazing if you can get past the uhhh.... questionable art choices)

I see a lot of people saying undertale and hollowknight. This makes me happy.
Those games are pretty good, but I feel like they were a bit overrated. Undertale's hitboxes didn't make any sense and were awful for bullet hell, while hollow knight's environments just kind of felt... uninspired? They're still wonderful games though.

My list of "Best games I've ever played" is like picking between which of my hypothetical children is my favorite. You just can't do that to someone. :p But let's make an arbitrary list with no game in particular topping any other. It's like asking "Which is better - An all you can eat buffet, or a suspension bridge?" They're both pretty darn great but they do different things and scratch different itches.

So I'll list my top 10 in no particular order at all.

1. Okami - Imagine a mix of TLOZ: Ocarina of Time, and some weird Asian-themed game where you can paint events into the world. The game is dripping with quality and immersion. Everything about it is just spectacular. You won't want to stop playing.
  2. Super Smash Bros Melee - One of those kinds of games where it's unbalanced to the point where you have to learn to master the game engine itself in addition to the characters in order to be good, but once you really did that, the upper limits of your ability to excel were astronomically high.
  3. Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 - Very early 1993'ish RPGs told in the first person perspective, but were also rather interactive. The controls were archaic but the kept you humble. I really liked them. Pretty damn good RPGs.
  4. Ultima 7 - Very immersive. Also very interactive! You could double-click on lots of stuff to "use" them. Shutters to open them, an empty bucket on a well to get a bucket of water, shears on a sheep to get some wool, then use that wool on a loom to make thread, etc.
  5. Yakuza 0 - Now this is a game that will bring you in, hug you tight, slap you around, and lovingly drape your face across the grindstone as it immerses you in the dark and dangerous world of the 1990s Yakuza without taking itself too seriously. There's tons of minigames, quests, larger minigames, characters to meet, and OH BOY is the soundtrack a twenty out of ten. If I were asked what ten of my favorite video game musics were, most of them would be from this game. Do not miss out on getting this game. If I had known how much fun I would've had before I started playing it, I would not have believed myself.
  6. Night in the Woods - All you do is walk around and jump, but it's one of the most immersive adventure games out there. I don't even know how to describe it. You're some girl back from dropping out from college, just seeing what's going on in your hometown, talking to friends, having fun with them and hanging out... but you don't want to let go!
  7. Terraria - It's Terraria. 'nuff said.
  8. Planescape: Torment - Built in the Baldur's Gate engine, you're about to embark on such a head-trip that you would not believe. This game throws unique concepts at you left and right, and the more you allow them to wash over you, the more fun you have.
  9. Neverwinter Nights (Diamond) - D&D on crack. It's a fantastic adventure with a really great editor. I spent hours in that editor just making stuff.
  10. Freelancer - Now this is a really great space flight / combat / trading sim. The story is very intense and SO immersive, and will have you on the edge of your seat much of the time. The characters are really interesting, (John Rhys Davies is in it, thank goodness. <3 ) and the soundtrack is just spectacular. The musical scores perfectly supplemented that one point during one of the missions where I heard myself shouting "Oh ^@#$ OH %@#$ OH %@$#!!!!" while fleeing from the alien equivalent of a gigantic explosion. Find it. Play it. Love it.

Updating my favourite(s) then:

(PC) The Settlers: Heritage of Kings & Expansions - I am weird for pointing it's actually good, yeah, but it did have some sentimental value in my heart. Y'know, a hybrid of RTS, village builder and RPG with focus on first and third? Taking it!
(PC) Spellforce 2 - Still have to complete that Expansion campaign. At least it doesn't disappoint and it's a true hybrid of both. 2006 sure made classic games.
(PC) Terraria - I think by sheer magnitude and a lot of alike comments, it's enough to have it classified.
(3DS) Pokemon: Super Mystery Dungeon - Best game I played on 3DS, perhaps because it resembled some sort of Rouge. I literally bought that game for that. And... it's from 2015.
(PC) Left 4 Dead - Talking about series, zombie shooter taken to literal fluidity. Four characters, trying to fight the way from the apocalypse. Combat never disappoints, even if I know the map. I just can't play on multiplayer. Not like I can't play well, it's just connection issues.
(PC) Starbound - Another sandbox, by Chucklefish. Story is there, and the character is driven by it. I just wish the planets were as exci- nah, I can swallow it. Least' this has mods.
(PS3) Diablo 3 - And this hack n' slash was my first as well. It had the class. But can't seem to play it anymore, TV doesn't take it well...
(PC) Age of Empires and Empire Earth - Again both series, both RTSes. Old isn't bad in their case, my first strategy game has some patina of nostalgia on it. And very great ones, with differences even between games themselves. (Don't have either of III or Mythology, tho.)

These 3 popped into my head first as the greatest game I've ever played, so I narrowed it down to 3. Heavily recommend anyone try these 3 out if they enjoy games that involve a lot of creativity, and/or are looking for something slightly Pokemon-esque, but far more fleshed-out and far superior imho. All 3 of these games continue to blow my mind to this day, and I always go back to them on occasion.

1. Jade Cocoon: Story of the Tamamayu (PS1) - Take Pokemon, then make it far more adult-thematically, and now your captured monsters can be combined with other captured monsters to power them up. This opens up everything, as you will combine their stats, combine affinity types (fire+water types = a fire/water hybrid with unique hybrid moves), AND combine their visual appearance right down to 3D model and texture. Needless to say, your monsters truly are your own. This was mind-blowing then on PS1, and I have yet to see a game do this so well to this day. Then again, same can be said of all 3 of these games.

2. Magic Pengel: The Quest for Color (PS2)- A turn-based game (again a bit like Pokemon) but you literally draw your characters into existence, and their stats and abilities depend on how you draw them and which colors you use. It still amazes me how intuitively your characters animate exactly how you picture they would. You can make a straight line that will just bounce around and but done with it -- but then you can draw it with a circle at the top for a head and how it headbutts. You can then draw a face on the head, and the face reacts with expressions when it does attacks or gets hurt. You can then add a "jiggly brush" to its mouth and give the appearance of drool that jiggles there, and that drool gets incorporated into a drool fireball of sorts. The game just decides on its own how your drawing will be used, and could completely change every time you decide to change your character. Again, it's mind-blowing to this day.

3. Graffiti Kingdom (PS2) - A sequel to Magic Pengel with many similaties, but this time it's an action game. You can make a wheel that moves like a wheel, then give it arms that give it a specific uppercut attack, and then draw it with flames that give the uppercut fire properties and a fire-breathing attack. The fire may make the wheel roll faster. Since there are now platforming elements, you can strategize to switch between certain characters that move (and battle) in different ways -- of course this all depends on how you drew/built them.

Side note: If you do intend to play Jade Cocoon, AVOID its sequel Jade Cocoon 2. Ironically its the most disappointing game I've ever played, as a completely different dev team took it over and removed everything that made the first game great.

Back
Top Bottom