Serious Best PC Recording/Editing Programs

I don't know about those Youtubes, however some suggested recording/Editting programs:
These programs that i've suggested i've personally used before, and I know they're pretty easy to use. I hope you find something you're looking for :)

I use Sony Vegas. It's a great program with lots of cool tools.
Windows Movie Maker (I am legit, it's simple and easy to use, good for people starting out)
Well...

It's okay if your videos are incredibly basic (and I mean basic), but I've had about a year and a half's experience with it, and I can tell you right now that it's a terrible program for seriously editing - you aren't going to have a good time with all the crashes and limitations it brings.

Here's a list of a few limitations it has, in case you're thinking of using it.

It only allows for one audio track (you don't even get to see the waveform).
It only allows for one video track displaying onscreen at a time (this means you can't create an outro unless you do it out of text).
It only allows for one layer of text to be displayed at a time, and all of it must be one color.
Random crashes, mostly when cancelling an export.
No autosaving.
Takes an incredibly long time to export (from my experience any other editing program would export videos over 3 times faster).
You can only do a fade-in or a fade-out, but not both with the same clip.
Can only save videos in WMV format, which doesn't work on Macs and takes a while to upload to YouTube.
Viewing videos in full screen causes the video to lag significantly.
And, lastly for now, it lowers the quality of your videos to possibly barbaric levels.

That being said, if you have taken these limitations into consideration and they don't bother you, and you want a FREE editing program for Windows, then this is probably your best bet. Pretty much any paid editing program is better, but you likely won't find anything nearly as good for free on Windows.

And if you use it quite a bit, you will gain enough experience to work around one or two of those problems, though most of them have no solution.

Sorry for the rant-ish. It's just that I've been developing a hatred towards this program for the past year or so.

I make videos on occation for various things and the tools I use are Fraps for screen recording, Audacity for audio editing, and VideoPad to put the video and audio together and to add text/image overlays, effects, and basically make the final product out of all the pieces. VideoPad is a kind of middle tier video editor, it has a lot of bells and whistles, but not as many as the high dollar professional ones and it is easy to use, but does have a bit more of a learning curve than the basic editors like Windows Movie Maker.

Camtasia Studio for recording. Still on version 7, can't afford to upgrade. For production, Premiere and AfterEffects of course. I dislike Adobe's subscription model but $30 a month gives me the tools to earn a hundred times as much, so… *shrug* Whaddayagonnado?

For music and audio work, Cakewalk Sonar (on Windows), Logic Pro (on Mac), Propellerhead Reason, plus Adobe Audition. Occasionally Tracktion.

[eta] Vegas is also very good. I used it and Sound Forge back before Sony bought them from Sonic Foundry, beginning in the mid-1990s for Sound Forge and early 2000s for Vegas.

[edit the 2nd] Camtasia's mighty pricey. For those on a budget, TechSmith also offer a free screen recorder, Jing. https://www.techsmith.com/jing.html It's limited, naturally, but for the price it's pretty good.

Last edited:
Fraps. It's great as heck. I use it.
But...
it doesn't support Monitor Aero Desktop on Windows 10 (yet). ;_;

I'd have to agree with Evilgrapez.
I use Sony Vegas. It's a great program with lots of cool tools.
Well...

It's okay if your videos are incredibly basic (and I mean basic), but I've had about a year and a half's experience with it, and I can tell you right now that it's a terrible program for seriously editing - you aren't going to have a good time with all the crashes and limitations it brings.

Here's a list of a few limitations it has, in case you're thinking of using it.

It only allows for one audio track (you don't even get to see the waveform).
It only allows for one video track displaying onscreen at a time (this means you can't create an outro unless you do it out of text).
It only allows for one layer of text to be displayed at a time, and all of it must be one color.
Random crashes, mostly when cancelling an export.
No autosaving.
Takes an incredibly long time to export (from my experience any other editing program would export videos over 3 times faster).
You can only do a fade-in or a fade-out, but not both with the same clip.
Can only save videos in WMV format, which doesn't work on Macs and takes a while to upload to YouTube.
Viewing videos in full screen causes the video to lag significantly.
And, lastly for now, it lowers the quality of your videos to possibly barbaric levels.

That being said, if you have taken these limitations into consideration and they don't bother you, and you want a FREE editing program for Windows, then this is probably your best bet. Pretty much any paid editing program is better, but you likely won't find anything nearly as good for free on Windows.

And if you use it quite a bit, you will gain enough experience to work around one or two of those problems, though most of them have no solution.

Sorry for the rant-ish. It's just that I've been developing a hatred towards this program for the past year or so.
Then add up Photoshop and After Effects with it. Sounds complicated right? But the results are pretty damn amazing, I tell you.:dryadwink:

VSDC Free Video Editor is what I started my channel with, and still use today. Allows a lot of nice effects and picture-in-picture, as well as simple text overlay and pan/zoom if you know how to do it. It's a multitrack editor, free as the name implies, though it can take quite a bit to get used to--I wouldn't call it easy to use as I'm still working out some things, but I doubt you'll find better for free.

VSDC Free Video Editor is what I started my channel with, and still use today. Allows a lot of nice effects and picture-in-picture, as well as simple text overlay and pan/zoom if you know how to do it. It's a multitrack editor, free as the name implies, though it can take quite a bit to get used to--I wouldn't call it easy to use as I'm still working out some things, but I doubt you'll find better for free.
I will give it a try, thanks. :)

I would strongly recommend that everyone do the same and not bring up the topic of pirates, that is something that is highly frowned upon on the forums...
I've learned my lesson on the last forum.
~~~
Anyways I could lend somebody a hand if it's related to video editing :dryadwink:

Mirillis Action is by far the best recording program for recording. You get no lag when recording, because it's not intensive on your cpu and the quality is amazing. (There are no torrents for this as it requires a key to activate and any attempt to use a random key will blacklist it, and cracks don't work either. I did research before I bought it)

Sony Vegas is by far the best editing program for newbies, but if you don't like cracking a program to get it free, search on google best free video editing programs.

Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) is great for recording. It is Free and Open Source so you don't have to worry about paying anything if you use it. It does require a little setup to record games however and it can't edit videos so you'll need a different program for that.
I have downloaded the OBS but I couldn't record, it says avcodec-57.dll is missing but when I checked there's the file, then I tried to reinstall it but this time it had errors on writing some .dll files, like this:
error.png
So, how can I manage to install it properly, I really need a free recording software, I don't wanna crack a paid one...
[doublepost=1461319344,1461319268][/doublepost]
Have you tried ~:mad:?
This is why I'm asking here :)

I have downloaded the OBS but I couldn't record, it says avcodec-57.dll is missing but when I checked there's the file, then I tried to reinstall it but this time it had errors on writing some .dll files, like this:
index.php
So, how can I manage to install it properly, I really need a free recording software, I don't wanna crack a paid one...

If you're using Windows 10, from what I understand there have been issues running it. I've experienced a few issues when trying to record games on it. Unfortunately I'm unsure what this issue could be. I guess you could try installing an earlier build to see if that will work. Otherwise I'd try searching the help forum on the OBS website to see if someone has reported a similar issue that you have.

If you're using Windows 10, from what I understand there have been issues running it. I've experienced a few issues when trying to record games on it. Unfortunately I'm unsure what this issue could be. I guess you could try installing an earlier build to see if that will work. Otherwise I'd try searching the help forum on the OBS website to see if someone has reported a similar issue that you have.
Oh, forgot to say. Finally I managed to install classic version of OBS, but now I'm having issues with recordings. Trying over than an hour and only thing I can get is freaking black screens... I also asked on OBS forums, but haven't got a reply yet...

Oh, forgot to say. Finally I managed to install classic version of OBS, but now I'm having issues with recordings. Trying over than an hour and only thing I can get is freaking black screens... I also asked on OBS forums, but haven't got a reply yet...

A workaround I've used for now is to use Window Capture rather than Game Capture. Hopefully that might help it work for you as well. For some reason Game Capture does not want to work since it's also caused only the Black Screen to appear when I've tried it.

Back
Top Bottom