Best ranger build pre-Plantera?

So, this round of expert mode I have been going ranged, opposed to mage as I did my first play through. (Mage is tons of fun.) I have built my arena to fight Plantera, all I need is the best build possible, as of now I'm equipped with:
Armor:
  • Frost Helmet
  • Frost Breastplate
  • Frost Leggings
Accessories (All with warding.)
  • Avenger Emblem
  • Ranger Emblem
  • Magic Quiver
  • Fairy Wings
  • Worm Scarf
  • Star Veil
Weapons
  • Clorophyte shotbow (???)
  • Mega Shark (Clorophyte bullets)
  • Shadowflame bow

Now, is there a different build that I should consider?
What are the best arrows to have against Plantera?

First, I recommend to use offensive prefixes instead of defensive ones. The potions are very important, you should use all of them.(Ironskin, Endurance, Lifeforce, Regeneration, Wrath, Archery etc.) And arena with some Campfires and Heart Lanterns also good, don't forget to have some honey pools to maximize the life regen. Finally, use Holy Arrows with Chlorophyte Shotbow, also reforge the Shotbow at least Godly. You can choose using a Charm of Myhts instead of Star Veil. After doing all this it's just about dodging the attacks, and if you manage to hit many stars from Holy Arrows to Plantera, you can reach very good DPS values and end the battle easily.

First, I recommend to use offensive prefixes instead of defensive ones. The potions are very important, you should use all of them.(Ironskin, Endurance, Lifeforce, Regeneration, Wrath, Archery etc.) And arena with some Campfires and Heart Lanterns also good, don't forget to have some honey pools to maximize the life regen. Finally, use Holy Arrows with Chlorophyte Shotbow, also reforge the Shotbow at least Godly. You can choose using a Charm of Myhts instead of Star Veil. After doing all this it's just about dodging the attacks, and if you manage to hit many stars from Holy Arrows to Plantera, you can reach very good DPS values and end the battle easily.

I forgot to mention, my weapons all have unreal prefixes. I might consider changing the accessories prefixes, not quite sure yet, that extra defense is pretty helpful. I will most certainly change out the star veil for the charm of myths.
I need to get better at dodging attacks, not very good at that.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Well, I managed to take out Plantera on my second try. I was able to take it out just under 2mins, with the clorophyte shotbow + ichor arrows. (Couldn't get any holy arrows)
Was much easier than anticipated. The first time, plantera despawned because I teleported too far away, lol.

Well, I managed to take out Plantera on my second try. I was able to take it out just under 2mins, with the clorophyte shotbow + ichor arrows. (Couldn't get any holy arrows)
Was much easier than anticipated. The first time, plantera despawned because I teleported too far away, lol.
Now you can build a farm for Unicorns, it will yield about 30 Unicorn Horns(enaugh to make 6000 arrows) and lots of Pixie Dusts(some to arrows and some to other things) in a day with Water Candle and Battle Potion. With Holy Arrows, you can take down Golem about the same way, just requires better dodging than Plantera.

Now you can build a farm for Unicorns, it will yield about 30 Unicorn Horns(enaugh to make 6000 arrows) and lots of Pixie Dusts(some to arrows and some to other things) in a day with Water Candle and Battle Potion. With Holy Arrows, you can take down Golem about the same way, just requires better dodging than Plantera.

Yeah, holy arrows sounds like a good idea, I already made shroomite armor, and I have both headpieces so I can switch between them if needed. At the moment I'm going to grind for a tactical shotgun, because I hear its pretty good paired with clorophyte bullets.

You appear to have missed out on the epic bow, that is the "Daedalus Stormbow". I'd try to get one, before you're going to get yourself a Tsunami to have some fun with it.

Yeah, holy arrows sounds like a good idea, I already made shroomite armor, and I have both headpieces so I can switch between them if needed. At the moment I'm going to grind for a tactical shotgun, because I hear its pretty good paired with clorophyte bullets.
I had beaten Expert Golem with Titanium Ranger set and Chlorophyte Shotbow+Holy Arrows. It's easier with Shroomite.
You appear to have missed out on the epic bow, that is the "Daedalus Stormbow". I'd try to get one, before you're going to get yourself a Tsunami to have some fun with it.
I tried Daedalus, but it's a bit useless in Temple since some arrows may hit the blocks above Golem.
I only used that bow for the mechanical bosses, completely nuked the destroyer.
It nukes every mech when paired with Holy Arrows and some good accesories, especially in Expert.

I had beaten Expert Golem with Titanium Ranger set and Chlorophyte Shotbow+Holy Arrows. It's easier with Shroomite.

I tried Daedalus, but it's a bit useless in Temple since some arrows may hit the blocks above Golem.

It nukes every mech when paired with Holy Arrows and some good accesories, especially in Expert.

Now my question is, should I go for Golem, or Duke first?
I'd assume Golem, but I really want to get the tsunami.

Now my question is, should I go for Golem, or Duke first?
I'd assume Golem, but I really want to get the tsunami.
It's your choice, but Duke requires a mastered dodge ability, or using cheeses to gain overpowered mobility. If you obtain a Sun Stone, then Moon Stone, Neptune's Shell and a Moon Charm, you can make a Celestial Shell and it will help you a lot when fighting Duke. Also an Eye of the Golem will let you make a Destroyer Emblem, which can increase your damage and crit chance with a Menacing prefix.
You can still use Tsunami on HM Dungeon, and before Lunatic Cultist you might need to do some Martians. Oh, before you obtain the Phantasm and Vortex Beater the Tsunami will be a great friend to you! So, don't hurt to delay it and take some Golems!

It's your choice, but Duke requires a mastered dodge ability, or using cheeses to gain overpowered mobility. If you obtain a Sun Stone, then Moon Stone, Neptune's Shell and a Moon Charm, you can make a Celestial Shell and it will help you a lot when fighting Duke. Also an Eye of the Golem will let you make a Destroyer Emblem, which can increase your damage and crit chance with a Menacing prefix.
You can still use Tsunami on HM Dungeon, and before Lunatic Cultist you might need to do some Martians. Oh, before you obtain the Phantasm and Vortex Beater the Tsunami will be a great friend to you! So, don't hurt to delay it and take some Golems!

Hm, i'll most likely go Golem, since I can easily craft a Celestial shell as all I need is a sun stone. Is the Martian event post Golem, If so I might grind for a cosmic car key, that might help against Duke to some extent.

About Golem: Any HM weapon/armor combo is enough to beat him. Literally ANY.
He's a total joke of a boss and not in the least more dangerous in expert mode. I really hoped, they'd seriously buff him for 1.3's expert mode, like making him start throwing boulders at you or moar laz0rs.

About Duke Fishron: Use a combination of Tabi/Shield of Cthulhu's dash with Gravitation Potions to dodge most of his attacks. Stay within the ocean biome and don't fly too high with the Gravition Potion's ability, or Duke gets angry. For expert mode, Shroomite & Megashark(+Chlorophyte bullets) should be enough for the job, though, due to his relatively high defense, an Uzi would be better.

About Golem: Any HM weapon/armor combo is enough to beat him. Literally ANY.
He's a total joke of a boss and not in the least more dangerous in expert mode. I really hoped, they'd seriously buff him for 1.3's expert mode, like making him start throwing boulders at you or moar laz0rs.

About Duke Fishron: Use a combination of Tabi/Shield of Cthulhu's dash with Gravitation Potions to dodge most of his attacks. Stay within the ocean biome and don't fly too high with the Gravition Potion's ability, or Duke gets angry. For expert mode, Shroomite & Megashark(+Chlorophyte bullets) should be enough for the job, though, due to his relatively high defense, an Uzi would be better.

Yeah, Golem was pretty underwhelming, although most things can't withstand a Clorophyte Shotbow +holy arrows.
Every time I fought Duke in the past, I always used mega shark + clororphyte bullets.

Back
Top Bottom