Mac best way to make money?

If you have fishing gear, make a fishing shack at the ocean. Catch lots of tool-sharks and sell them. (Get a NPC who buys stuff to move in, 'cos you can catch way more than you can hold in your inventory.) Kinda boring, but: Profit!

Farming EoW/BoC is the best way probably. Also consider making an expert world if you're not in expert already, bosses drop oodles more money in expert.

I got up to 4 platinum by just killing a bunch of mimics!
You should check that out :happy:

There's a few ways to go about doing this:
A. Farm bosses, usually something easy like the world evil bosses such as brain and eater, queen bee is a good option since her summoning requirements are rather easy to make and can be done consistently
B. Fishing, once you do enough fishing quests to get lots of gear you can do lava fishing which gives you this most profit
C. AFK farming, making an afk cavern farm and then standing on some granite blocks will allow granite golems to spawn, consistently killing these you'll rack up tons of geodes which you can break and sell all the gems, I repeated this method myself and earned over 200 plat before entering hardmode + over 500 spaghetti which is great for boss fights since it's a major food buff.
D. Gem farming with trees, this one requires a bit less set up but is still decent for farming. Basically I just found my aether biome cut the diamond gem trees down and made a line and kept replanting till I had rows, was consistently getting diamonds and selling them for a profit.

Keeping NPCs happy is great while doing this, my favorite set up is underground snow biome with mechanic, goblin tinkerer, and dye trader, you can add princess there too once you get that far.

Last edited:
Usually in prehm-Duke Fishron farming queen bee is the best option of money farming (without building a large elaborate money farm)

Her treasure bags usually drop 1-2 pieces of vanity gear, beenades, beeswax, honeycomb (sometimes) and on higher difficulties hive pack, relic and pet sell for gold as well. Boss spawns for QB aren't hard to get either as the recipe is very cheap, just sell the drops and insta plat

once you kill Duke Fishron, he's the best thing to grind money for, he usually drops 50-80 gold, his mount and excess loot sell well too (and his master mode and expert mode drops sell well too). A high damage setup combined with Flairon or Bubblegun usually shreds duke. Truffle worms are also easy to farm with a water candle, or making a farm (simple just mine tunnels in mushroom biome)

To make the most of your money, make a high happiness housing setup for goblin, I usually do a house over shimmer with goblin, mechanic and dye trader (just goblin and dye trader before so), for low reforge costs and pylon setup for shimmer

With the luxury of answering a question posted in 2020, with a response in 2023, assuming all things equal (parity), I have a number of answers. Before I give my response though, there's a few things I want to suggest to you, seeing as how Terraria has evolved quite a bit since 2020.
  1. Farming Bosses and Enemies is indeed an effective money-making method, but it's grinding, and grinding is boring.
  2. Repetitive tasks like Enemy Farming, typically don't help develop your World in any meaningful way, it's usually a separate meta.
  3. Unless you're Farming for a specific item or resource, exclusive to an Enemy or Boss, don't bother... it's an archaic method.
With that out-of-the-way, here's what I suggest that you do instead, which is likely more fun, engaging and actually helps develop your world in a meaningful way!
  1. Build nice, varied, interesting locations and bases for your NPCs, and see what Characters they hate, or like to live next to, or what Biomes they prefer.
  2. Happy NPCs allow you to sell repeat items and overstock at a Premium, if you don't need it, sell it to your happiest NPCs!
  3. Also, make sure to build Production Farms for anything that can be reproduced or regrown...
    • Gem Tree Farms
    • Pumpkin Patches
    • Green Houses/ Apothecary Stations [+Alchemy Table]
    • Grass Seed and Herb/ Plant Storage Facilities
  4. If possible, try building a Classic "Lava Trap" as a passive way to kill Mobs with little effort.
  5. If you're feeling creative, you can also invest in building a Classical "Kill Chamber", with Wires and Traps.
  6. Fishing is also a good source of income, do a few Quests here an there on your downtime, having a "Village" nearby also keeps the Mobs away!
  7. Set up a Pylon Network, being able to zip around the Map, to gather your resources much faster, is always a good thing!
  8. Some Bases have a tendency to spawn Gem Critters, buy yourself a Bug Net and get-to-catching, they sell for a good price!
The point I'm making is, do a little of anything and everything mentioned above, all while still playing the game. Honestly, there's very little reason to grind in 1.4.4.6. [I mean, unless you personally enjoy it]...

He is still tinkering with this design with another member in the discord but this is the current best method, dinochess is an amazing community member and has made this insane farm to maximize coins per second.

Back
Top Bottom