Beta Tester Application

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question, approximately how much time would i have to put into this? I'd really like to do this but school goes first

Question, approximately how much time would i have to put into this? I'd really like to do this but school goes first

A regular presence is more important than sheer number of hours. In fact, we'd rather people NOT burn out, and so investing excessive time isn't really a good thing. We much prefer if people check in regularly, but we aren't going to require daily testing or anything like that.

Oh, lucky me. Going for master's degree means I have plenty of time on my hands for beta-testing before I'm assigned a topic for my future diploma.

Form: "What makes you want to be a beta tester?"
Me: "Don't sound pretentious. Don't sound pretentious!"
Also me hours later: "i wanna help"

Last edited:
I would love to beta test for Terraria but I haven't been active in the forums that much and I'm working on my own indie game. I do put alot of time in the game, don't get me wrong and know the game's mechanics to the core, but still.

However, good luck to the applicants! `:D

Last edited:
Sadly, I check all the boxes but one. I am not currently in possession of a Pc. Hopefully by next year I can become a beta tester in addition to proudly breaking over 1000 hours of play on the ps3 version yesterday.
[doublepost=1506222507,1506222327][/doublepost]
My 13th birthday was just a few days ago.
Happy belated birthday!:rslime:`:passionate:

Is this beta only for Terraria, or is it for Terraria Otherworld? I'd love to be part of the beta for Otherworld, having a couple thousand hours put into Terraria over the different formats, but I'm not sure i'm up for a new Terraria run as of right now.

Aye, I'd be happy to help out a little with the beta testing. There are some things you should know.
I'm 13 years old.
I've been playing Terraria since April 4th 2016 (I will never forget the day lol).
I have over 700 hours on Terraria, nearly 800.
I know a lot of the in game items, if not most.
I know a LOT about Terraria.
I'm running SteamOS on my computer.
My computer is very bad, so the internet on it cuts out randomly. However, it doesn't normally interfere with any Terraria gaming sessions.
I can run Terraria on my computer normally just fine.
I'm not way too much of a guy for spotting out bugs, however, I can give you my feedback on the new features. I will of course try my very best to spot out any bug I can find.
And, I don't have a lot of ways of communication. Like I said before, my computer is pretty bad. I'm unable to use discord or skype, however, I do have twitter, if that helps any.
So yeah, I'll submit my application. I'll also talk to my parents about the NDA tomorrow. Hopefully you can accept my application. Just tell me what I need to do, and I can try my very best to do that for you. Thanks.

Are there any particular mechanics we should know before signing up for this? (like wiring, damage calculation, etc.)
How often do we need to check in and test?
Beta-testing typically includes searching for bugs, not balance issues. So damage, defense and other formulae aren't what you should worry about. Sure you should keep an eye out for that stuff anyway, in case, I dunno, you suddenly deal -17956347 damage, or something like that.
Other than that you just have to play and test different things. There are other testers who will fill you out in what you have no experience with.

Also hello to a fellow Alucard!

Beta-testing typically includes searching for bugs, not balance issues.
While I don't know if Re-Logic is an exception, generally speaking this is not true.

While they unquestionably have to test for bugs as well, and loads of them, testers definitely have to test if content is balanced and fun too (not too hard or too easy, not too much of a grind or in fact too fleeting to be engaging, not boring or confusing), because when testing your own game, you yourself are the worst possible person for the job:
  • For instance, a programmer has already attempted a boss fifty times just to see if it works mechanically, at which point they can't judge from an outsider's perspective if a boss is too hard or too easy anymore because they've already had too much practice.
  • In the same vein, if you already know in detail every single attack a boss has, you've got a huge edge over a new player starting fresh.
  • For another example, a content designer may have spent so much time developing a complicated mechanic that they know it inside out, and to them it's crystal clear how it works. But to an outsider who has never interacted with the mechanic before, it could be utterly confusing.
There are loads of other examples of this. Game designers collectively and inevitably suffer from tunnel vision, but in the end, you don't make games for yourself, but for other people. So it only makes sense you are not the one calibrating them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom