Game Mechanics Better Gels (slime drops)

Aceplante

Official Terrarian
Rainbow slimes should instead drop rainbow gel which can be combined with stone to craft rainbow brick (they currently drop rainbow brick directly). It would also be used to craft the rainbow rod, and could perhaps be used to make rainbow dye, rainbow paint, or a new "rainbow arrow" that leaves a streaking rainbow trail when shot. Creates a rainbow clored flame and much higher DPS when used with the flamethrower (since this is a hardmode material). Also, when combined with bombs, it adds colorful firework-like particles to the explosion?

Ice slimes should instead drop ice gel which can be crafted into ice blocks (making it renewable in a way other than the white solution), or used to place icicles when used on the underside of an ice block? Edit: it has been pointed out to me that ice slime blocks would be crafted from just these now, and not the current regular gel and ice recipe. Same with frost arrows, which should use these instead of ice torches

Lava slimes should instead drop lava gel which can be used for... something? Provides a slightly darker flame and higher DPS when used with the flamethrower.

All of the other slimes only vary by color so the current system (where they drop different colored gels but they still stack anyways) works fine.

Edit: I suppose this would include a new color pallet of the slime blocks: light blue for ice, red for lava, and rainbow slime blocks too?

Last edited:
A couple of ideas i thaught of shortly after reading this

Lava slime blocks could light you on fire simeler to hellstone and meteorite while also slowing you down and making it hard to jump, making it super useful for traps

The lava gell could be used to make lava renewable in a way other than the liquid dupe where you can take like 5 lava gell and a bucket to make a lava bucket

Sand slimes should drop sandy gell that can be crafted into sand at an extractinator with 5 sandy gell and when used in a flamethrower can blind enemys and players

Rainbow gell in a flamethrower can make rainbow flame that is just more powerfull than regular gell

Jungle slimes can drop overgrown gell that can be crafted into most plants at a living loom and the overgrown slime block should have a chance to just grow trees on them simeler to how jungle grass can with mahogany trees while also accelerating the growth of plants planted on it

Golden slimes on the celebration seed should drop golden gell that sells well of course but can also be crafted into golden slime blocks that have a chance of turning natural slimes (specifacly not spawned by statues) into golden slimes that can't drop more gold gell but still drop a good amount of gold

ice slime blocks should have there recipie changed from ice blocks and slime blocks into just frozen gell

Living fire should be crafted with lava gell

These are just some random ideas I had, feel free to elaborate on them or criticise them however tou want, also I know some of these ideas are a little more inclined to modded terraria but I still threw them out there

A couple of ideas i thaught of shortly after reading this

Lava slime blocks could light you on fire simeler to hellstone and meteorite while also slowing you down and making it hard to jump, making it super useful for traps

The lava gell could be used to make lava renewable in a way other than the liquid dupe where you can take like 5 lava gell and a bucket to make a lava bucket

Sand slimes should drop sandy gell that can be crafted into sand at an extractinator with 5 sandy gell and when used in a flamethrower can blind enemys and players

Rainbow gell in a flamethrower can make rainbow flame that is just more powerfull than regular gell

Jungle slimes can drop overgrown gell that can be crafted into most plants at a living loom and the overgrown slime block should have a chance to just grow trees on them simeler to how jungle grass can with mahogany trees while also accelerating the growth of plants planted on it

Golden slimes on the celebration seed should drop golden gell that sells well of course but can also be crafted into golden slime blocks that have a chance of turning natural slimes (specifacly not spawned by statues) into golden slimes that can't drop more gold gell but still drop a good amount of gold

ice slime blocks should have there recipie changed from ice blocks and slime blocks into just frozen gell

Living fire should be crafted with lava gell

These are just some random ideas I had, feel free to elaborate on them or criticise them however tou want, also I know some of these ideas are a little more inclined to modded terraria but I still threw them out there
Unfortuantely its honey that slows you down, not slime blocks, but lighting you on fire I support.

Crafted into lava? Sure, but it should definitely be way more than 5. 20 at least, maybe 50? May seem like much but this would really only be useful in skyblock worlds

Sand slime... sure why not

A lot of people seem to want different effects for each of these when used with the flamethrower so rainbow gel causing rainbow fire (with higher damage than regular gel) would make sense.

"overgrown gel", how about living gel, and when crafted with dirt makes rich soil which, as mentioned, can grow saplings faster and has a slightly higher chance to grown a flower instead of grass.

Golden gel should definitely sell well, but I think that is already enough of a use. Converting other slimes seems a bit much to me

Ice blocks being crafted from just ice gel, of course. That makes sense too.

Living fire is a drop, but this could be fine too

stuff i agree with :
the new gels and effects,

stuff i disagree with :
adding a new gel to every slime or so, (From the other suggetions adding onto the 3 existing ones) i think the current gel system is fine for the most part, no need to over add stuff

my own twists :
rainbow gel when used with flame throwers shouldn't deal more damage than normal gel, but it should apply every single debuff :)

edit : well not every debuff, just a good chunk... cursed flame, ichor, burning, etc... just not smth that's a weapon specific debuff or a debuff that would make the fights too easy

ice gel and lava gel should be renamed to "frozen gel" and "molten/melted" gel respectively

molten gel should be able to craft hellstone if combined with the evil materials (including the brain/eater drops) this way hellstone is available in skyblock

frozen gel should be able to be used for frost burn arrows instead, making them. instead of having to use the ice torches, alternatively ice torches should be made with frozen gel instead

I really don't think any of these ideas are bad. In fact, I think rainbow gel is actually a pretty good idea. But I just don't know if there's really a need for more gel. It would require the moving around of things that don't necessarily need to be moved around.

stuff i agree with :
the new gels and effects,

stuff i disagree with :
adding a new gel to every slime or so, (From the other suggetions adding onto the 3 existing ones) i think the current gel system is fine for the most part, no need to over add stuff

my own twists :
rainbow gel when used with flame throwers shouldn't deal more damage than normal gel, but it should apply every single debuff :)

edit : well not every debuff, just a good chunk... cursed flame, ichor, burning, etc... just not smth that's a weapon specific debuff or a debuff that would make the fights too easy

ice gel and lava gel should be renamed to "frozen gel" and "molten/melted" gel respectively

molten gel should be able to craft hellstone if combined with the evil materials (including the brain/eater drops) this way hellstone is available in skyblock

frozen gel should be able to be used for frost burn arrows instead, making them. instead of having to use the ice torches, alternatively ice torches should be made with frozen gel instead
I agree with the arrow suggestion, added to the original post

Back
Top Bottom