tModLoader Better Paint - Make the world your canvas!

hamstar

Terrarian

Requires Mod Helpers

Important:
This mod is NOT currently multiplayer compatible. This will be addressed eventually.

Painting in action:

Now featuring glowing paint:

This mod improves the paint function of the game by providing a highly-adjustable spray applicator. You can now paint with full, smooth RGB color with an assortment of handy brushes and settings. Configurable.

How to mix paint cartridges

To mix paints into cartridges to create colors from the full RGB range, keep a supply of empty cartridges in your inventory, and then craft color cartridges at the Paint Mixer station by also arranging in your inventory 100 Paint Can items to represent the colors you want to mix (order in your inventory from top to bottom, left to right). You can also mix color cartridges directly, in a similar way.

To make glow cartridges, simply craft with a color cartridge and an empty glow cartridge.

Source available here. API now available.

Available config fields are defined here.

6XC3f9I.png

ZbaGiEI.png

dWqhopk.png

BetterPaint.png

Last edited:
v2.1.1
  • Updated to TML11.5
  • Implemented FloatInputElement for config
  • Fixed painting with UI zoom?
  • Tweaked some config setting labels
  • Changed PaintBrush.ComputeColorChangePercent(...) to use XNAColorHelpers.DistanceRGB(...)
  • Fixed mouse position finder
  • Attempted fix to world paint leftovers
v2.1.0
  • Updated to MH5b and TML11.4
  • Switched from snake case to camel case
  • Implemented sync of world paint data (untested)
  • Fixed MP crash issue from textures not loading
v1.3.1.2
  • Updated for MHv4
v1.3.1
  • Updated to Mod Helpers v2.0.2
  • Renamed chat commands to condensed, readable form
  • Added MP player load bug failsafe
v1.3.0
  • Updated for Mod Helpers v1.6.3
  • Added minimap support
  • Switched color data to internally use ONLY alpha channel for 'pressure' (WIP)
  • Added better UI sprite for glow cartridges
v1.2.1.1
  • Fixed not being able to paint some types of foreground tiles
v1.2.1
  • Restructured code
  • Updated to Mod Helpers v1.6.0 layout changes
  • Updated to C# 6
  • Removed Flamethrower from Paint Blaster recipe
  • Added setting for Clentaminator as Paint Blaster recipe ingredient (changes to Illegal Gun Parts if disabled)
  • Fixed painting furniture
  • Added Glow Cartridge (glowing paint)
  • Increased UI opacity
  • Fixed stream brush pressure settings
  • Transferred helpers code from PaintLayer to PaintHelpers class
  • Added 'no multiplayer' inbox message
  • Tweaked spatter mode UI sprite
  • Added smoother paint flow
  • Fixed background colors
  • Removed cartridge info tooltips in crafting menus
  • Added copy cartridge recipe for glow cartridges
  • Removed paint consumption from color changes < 1%
  • Fixed paint cans not representing correct capacity in HUD element
v1.1.0
  • Added rendering capacity of color cartridges in inventory
  • Added recipe for Copy Cartridges to copy an existing cartridge
  • Added normal paint as a viable paint blaster option
  • Added dry fire 'missing paint' message
  • Assorted tweaks and refactoring
v1.0.0.1
  • Initial release

Attachments

• BetterPaint v1.0.0.1.zip
    106.3 KB · Views: 243
  • BetterPaint v1.1.0.zip
    110.1 KB · Views: 215
  • BetterPaint v1.2.1.zip
    122.1 KB · Views: 208
  • BetterPaint v1.2.1.1.zip
    122.1 KB · Views: 201
  • BetterPaint v1.3.0.zip
    124.8 KB · Views: 229
  • BetterPaint v1.3.1.zip
    75.2 KB · Views: 217
  • BetterPaint v1.3.1.2.zip
    77.9 KB · Views: 251
  • BetterPaint v2.1.0.zip
    179.3 KB · Views: 175
  • BetterPaint v2.1.1.zip
    172.7 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
looks pretty nice! I could use this to create some paint things. (duh). How does that gradient thing work when you paint the things, and will you be able to turn it off? How do you have the sign thing at the bottom of you post (with the total downloads and stuff)?

looks pretty nice! I could use this to create some paint things. (duh). How does that gradient thing work when you paint the things, and will you be able to turn it off? How do you have the sign thing at the bottom of you post (with the total downloads and stuff)?
There's 4 modes (brushes), spray being but one. There are 3 settings adjusters, also.

It's a function of the mod browser site. You just supply your mod name in the image's URL, and it queries and renders its stats.

Last edited:
I have wanted something like this for a long, long time. Is there a trick to mixing that allows for precise RGB values? :pinky:

I have wanted something like this for a long, long time. Is there a trick to mixing that allows for precise RGB values? :pinky:
Well if you start off with black or white paint, then selectively mix with the pure red, green, and blue paints, you can home in on exacting values. Alternatively, you can creatively mix approximate colors, and save a lot on paint without a total guarantee of exacting results. This will be subject to experimentation, and future versions can refine this concept further, as needed and evident.

If you find mixing to get a bunch of a specific color to be tedious, there's also Copy Cartridges (1 Color Cartridge, 10 Greater Mana Potions, 5 Nanites) that can lift any color from a painted surface easily. A good way to reuse spent cartridges, too!

How do I mix paint? That is to say, how do I make a color cartridge with a defined rgb? So far, the only thing I can think of is spraying a wall with paint until I get a good mix going.

How do I mix paint? That is to say, how do I make a color cartridge with a defined rgb? So far, the only thing I can think of is spraying a wall with paint until I get a good mix going.
It's similar to normal crafting, which consumes items in rows from top left to bottom right. The mix of paints you'd want to get the right color would have to be arranged on an upper row as such.

Thank you for the reply, but I meant more like... Where do I mix paints with cartridges? Where is the bulk of this done? Anvil, workbench, dye vat, alchemy lab?

Thank you for the reply, but I meant more like... Where do I mix paints with cartridges? Where is the bulk of this done? Anvil, workbench, dye vat, alchemy lab?
Paint Mixer. You can buy one from the Painter, or craft it from Extratinator, Blend-O-Matic, and Dye Vat.

You can see what station is needed next to the recipe in the crafting list.

Ok, got some idea of what to do now. Is it possible to copy a colour from dirt or stone blocks with the copy colour function?

Oh, just reread my comment. I mean copy colour of dirt, from dirt that has no paint on it and hasn't been sprayed before. Is it possible to extract "essence" of tree for a cave wall?

Oh, just reread my comment. I mean copy colour of dirt, from dirt that has no paint on it and hasn't been sprayed before. Is it possible to extract "essence" of tree for a cave wall?
That would involve some tricky texture data code. Totally doable, but that'll have to be a far future feature, unless I can get some time compensation.

Last edited:
That would involve some tricky texture data code. Totally doable, but that'll have to be a far future feature, without some time compensation.
Sorry to bring it up again, but in the video at 8.7 seconds you hover over a light green dye, might I ask for the process by which you made that?

Back
Top Bottom