Language Pack Better Tooltips

CellarDoor96

Terrarian
This is a resource pack that revamps the tooltips of over 700 items and buffs, making them clearer, more informative, and more helpful overall. Items now give more precise numbers, include info on previously obscure mechanics, and in some cases have entirely new tooltips meant to help guide new players. All while keeping as close as possible to the feel of the vanilla game.

20210620185052_1.jpg

20210624231512_1.jpg

20210418210128_1.jpg

20210620185022_1.jpg
This is an extensive but non-exhaustive list of changes:
  • The generic "Equipable" tooltip has been replaced with "Can be placed in equipment slots", for clarity
  • Tavernkeep armors now list their boosts to their respective sentries more precisely
  • Most items that give life regen now give number of HP recovered per second
  • Most instances of "minion damage" are now "summon damage" for consistency
  • All instances of "mining speed" are now "pickaxe speed" since drills are unaffected
  • All instances of "melee speed" are now "weapon swing speed" since only swung weapons are affected, and whips are also affected
  • Spectre armor and Vampire Knives list exact lifesteal rates
  • Stat buffs and debuffs generally give more exact percentage increases/decreases
  • Solar Flare armor's set bonus now includes its 12% damage reduction, and Solar Shield buff now correctly states only 20% damage reduction
  • Items that have or give defense penetration now state the amount of defense ignored
  • Wings now state "negates fall damage" instead of "allows slow fall" for clarity, as well as listing their flight time and other stats
  • Some developer wings that had hover abilities but not the standard hover wing tooltip now include said tooltip
  • Items that affect vertical ascent speed with wings but aren't wings themselves, like Frog Leg and Soaring Insignia, now state their "lift power" boost
  • Sentries, as well as Crimson Rod, Nimbus Rod, and Clinger Staff, now state their duration
  • "Special crafting" stations now state they craft "vanity furniture" instead
  • Items with special setting toggles, like the PDA or Paint Sprayer, now mention where to find those toggles
  • Ankh Charm and Shield now actually list all debuffs they give immunity to
  • Items that increase underwater breath time now state their multiplier
  • Brain of Confusion, Black Belt, and Master Ninja Gear now state their exact dodge chance
  • Split infinitives and other grammar errors have been fixed for people who might care about that
  • Light pets now state "luminosity" for easy comparison
  • Campfires that can be placed in liquids now say so, like torches
  • The Magic and Demon Conches now actually say what they do
  • The DCU now states its 210% pickaxe power
  • Fishing poles now mention that bait just has to be in the inventory, to prevent confusion about how to use them
  • Gravedigger's Shovel now states exactly which tiles it can mine
  • Magma Stone and its tinkers now actually say they set enemies on fire instead of that they "deal fire damage"
  • Key of Night and Key of Light now actually state their function
  • More weapons with gimmicks that deal different damage from their default attack, like Starfury's stars, now give details in their tooltip
  • Most boss/event-summoning items now have additional flavor text to provide hints or warnings about their purpose
  • Pwnhammer and Hammush now mention Crimson Altars along with Demon Altars in their tooltips
  • Desert Tiger Staff and Stardust Dragon Staff now explain their gimmick
  • The Yoyo Glove and Bag are more explicit about only working after the yoyo hits an enemy
  • Moon Stone, Sun Stone, and their tinkers have altered wording meant to imply they aren't stackable, on top of listing their exact stat increases
  • The OOA sentry accessories now state that they don't stack with one another
  • Mount tooltips contain additional information, including flight time for flying mounts
  • Debuffs now state their DPS in their tooltips
  • Some items that inflict debuffs, especially ones that can't be inflicted on players, also state their debuff's DPS
  • Items that operate from the inventory, like informational items, now say so in their tooltip
  • Luck potions and Garden Gnomes now state their luck increases
  • Items that affect enemy spawns, such as Battle/Calming Potions, now state the percentage change in spawn rate

"Better Tooltips" on Steam Workshop

Please let me know what you think, and if there are any other items you think should get a tooltip update in this pack. I've hit all the bigger targets already, but I'm still open to including more. Also let me know if there are any inaccuracies, as much of the data came from a combination of the wiki and my own testing, though I tried to be as accurate as possible.

Attachments

• Better Tooltips.zip
    26.3 KB · Views: 734
Last edited:
Just updated the resource pack, adding a bunch of new stuff including DPS in the tooltips of damaging debuffs and more details in mount tooltips. Flying mounts now state their flight time, except for the Reindeer Bells, since their flight time seems to vary and I don't know how to write it.

It actually wasn't since I updated the pack again since then, but it's now up to date again.

If you look at the Steam Workshop page you'll see that it has 31 change notes, so yeah, I update it pretty frequently. I'll try and keep this one up to date too but I do recommend subbing to the workshop version so you don't have to worry about updating it manually. Although I think I may force myself to slow down on the updates lol.

It actually wasn't since I updated the pack again since then, but it's now up to date again.

If you look at the Steam Workshop page you'll see that it has 31 change notes, so yeah, I update it pretty frequently. I'll try and keep this one up to date too but I do recommend subbing to the workshop version so you don't have to worry about updating it manually. Although I think I may force myself to slow down on the updates lol.

Unfortunately, people who don't own the game on Steam can't really do anything with Workshop content.
Of course there are third-party downloader websites that can get Workshop content and download it for non-Steam use, but they can be pretty shifty and typically don't keep everything up-to-date.
Have you thought about using your own personal source for non-Steam updates, like a website, or repository, or even a Discord server?
Might be a bit easier to manage updates than swapping out attached files here.

Unfortunately, people who don't own the game on Steam can't really do anything with Workshop content.
Of course there are third-party downloader websites that can get Workshop content and download it for non-Steam use, but they can be pretty shifty and typically don't keep everything up-to-date.
Have you thought about using your own personal source for non-Steam updates, like a website, or repository, or even a Discord server?
Might be a bit easier to manage updates than swapping out attached files here.
It's pretty easy to update the file here, and I can just make a post whenever I do update it to alert people who are subscribed to the thread. I'll think about trying something else though, maybe a Discord. I don't have too much time to manage something like that though as I just started a new job yesterday.

That said, there's been another small update, mostly just tiny tweaks but also adding hover time to the Flying Carpet's tooltip.

It's pretty easy to update the file here, and I can just make a post whenever I do update it to alert people who are subscribed to the thread. I'll think about trying something else though, maybe a Discord. I don't have too much time to manage something like that though as I just started a new job yesterday.

That said, there's been another small update, mostly just tiny tweaks but also adding hover time to the Flying Carpet's tooltip.
thanks for updating!

New update; wings now list "gliding power" alongside their other stats, which gives their horizontal airspeed. Also, luck potions and garden gnomes now state their increase to luck. The attachment on the first post is up to date.

Decided to recheck my math on the luck items more thoroughly, and found that I was previously a bit off. It's difficult to come up with exact numbers for them because the increase itself actually depends on how big the original chance was, but I used the best estimates I can and updated the pack. FTR the figures given will be slightly lower than the actual increase if the original chance was very large, but slightly higher than the actual increase if the original chance was very small. It only deviates by about 2-3 percentage points though.

Realized I missed a few tooltips I meant to change, and also just went through and touched up the whole pack to make everything a little neater and more consistent. Nothing major, but the OP has been updated.

Thank you!

I've just made another update, this time doing a sweeping check across most of the tooltips for things like grammar, consistency, and other small issues. Additionally pet items now all state that they are pets, while boss summon items have flavor text on them meant to warn new players (without outright saying they're bosses). Also realized I forgot to include the Cloud in a Bottle in the previous update lol.

New update, mostly adjusting previously included tooltips but also adding more stats on a few things, including items that affect enemy spawns. Additionally, "melee speed" has now been replaced with "weapon swing speed" across the board, since it affect whips too and doesn't affect all melee weapons. I realize this doesn't cover its side effects for things like yoyo range and projectile speed on some weapons, but it's still more accurate than "melee speed".

Also in the last few updates I've been hiding jokes and references in the flavor text for items here and there, so have fun finding them lol. Only a few, when I think of something that matches Re-Logic's brand of corny humor.

EDIT: Relatively small hotfix, just adjusting a few things and adding more info to weapon tooltips here and there.

Last edited:
This is an awesome pack. An idea I have for it it to add the DPS of the weapon, maybe at the bottom of the stats. I'm not sure how possible this would be with the variable stats in the game from armor sets and whatnot, but I think even a base DPS without any of the modifiers might be useful when comparing weapons. Just an idea for you, have a good day!

Back
Top Bottom