Beyond the Stars: A Terraria Expansion Project

Ah, okay. Maybe I missed a line or something. then ignore that part XD

I think I seen some topic on another mod that had a 5th pillar in the middle (maybe that's Tremor?) which was buggy. but even if it wouldn't be buggy, I think that would be a horrible place to put that pillar.
Almost all cases, the center is your base. You might need to adjust your gear and stuff after the fight with Lunatic cultist, and if you die from any pillar enemies, you respawn there (if no other location is set)

This would mean, as soon as you teleport home after lonatic cultist down, you will be under attack from the enemies of this 5th pillar. it also should be noted that the pillars have no set order the player need to fight them, so everyone can choose the order - and usually will start with the pillar of their class (or stardust, to get additional power via minions as well on the side)
But this way, it would be urgent to clear the spawn first, while you still stuck with pre-lunatic cultist gear.

The enemies would most likely whipe out your forest town, meaning it would take a day or two, to get them move back, so for a little while, your center (forest) pylon wouldn't function (if NPCs are not invulnerable to dmg.) so even though 1.4.1 finally fixed that pylons should work during the lunar events, this would render it non-functional again. very likely.
1: That name ( Quasar ) is already taken by Shadows of Abbadon, just thought I'd point that out
2: 5th Pillar: It isn't really that Tremor did it bad, it's just a bad idea period. There's another mod that came out this year called Orion Throwing Expansion, and while that mod's good it also adds a 5th pillar; that somehow is even MORE buggy then Tremor's!
3: I'm generally against rebranding Thrower, I think people should cooperate and share the same modded class maybe make use of that upcoming TML 1.4 custom class feature, because I really don't want to like have 500 hundred different subclasses that are forks of Thrower...
4: How do you even plan to make WoF use THAT sprite? You do realize that WoF is a segmented boss and the wall itself is a solid texture itself? I'm really curious to see if you guys can pull it off.
5: I can tell that you and everyone involved is not some newbie who "wants to make the next Calamity", so whenever a new mod is birthed by experienced people, it's going to be something special; if it even happens.

1: That name ( Quasar ) is already taken by Shadows of Abbadon, just thought I'd point that out
2: 5th Pillar: It isn't really that Tremor did it bad, it's just a bad idea period. There's another mod that came out this year called Orion Throwing Expansion, and while that mod's good it also adds a 5th pillar; that somehow is even MORE buggy then Tremor's!
3: I'm generally against rebranding Thrower, I think people should cooperate and share the same modded class maybe make use of that upcoming TML 1.4 custom class feature, because I really don't want to like have 500 hundred different subclasses that are forks of Thrower...
4: How do you even plan to make WoF use THAT sprite? You do realize that WoF is a segmented boss and the wall itself is a solid texture itself? I'm really curious to see if you guys can pull it off.
5: I can tell that you and everyone involved is not some newbie who "wants to make the next Calamity", so whenever a new mod is birthed by experienced people, it's going to be something special; if it even happens.
just a few things from me, rebranding thrower in the end is fine. Although it has been done by other mods, it's not a mod maker's responsibility to make sure their own mod alligns with others. That's caused a lot of problems for people creating new mods, as people except to be able to use them in unintended ways and then get after the devs when it doesn't work.
The sprite stuff should be pretty easy to replace, probably just as easy as a texture pack. I do think, however, that the sprites should either belong in a different resource pack or have some config option to disable them, as although they look very nice, they don't really fit the terraria style in my eyes.

just a few thoughts from me. If it's not my place to be saying this stuff then I'll keep these things to myself.

just a few things from me, rebranding thrower in the end is fine. Although it has been done by other mods, it's not a mod maker's responsibility to make sure their own mod alligns with others. That's caused a lot of problems for people creating new mods, as people except to be able to use them in unintended ways and then get after the devs when it doesn't work.
The sprite stuff should be pretty easy to replace, probably just as easy as a texture pack. I do think, however, that the sprites should either belong in a different resource pack or have some config option to disable them, as although they look very nice, they don't really fit the terraria style in my eyes.

just a few thoughts from me. If it's not my place to be saying this stuff then I'll keep these things to myself.
Yeah, I 120% agree, content mods are not meant to be played together, playing 50+ at the same time is a huge and very common mistake.

(I think they said they would add a config for the textures.)

About 4, I think they said on the discord that they may be reworking some vanilla bosses, including WoF, partially so that the sprite fits (for WoF) and because 80% of vanilla bosses suck

Nah it is, share all the thoughts you want! Just don't make it sound like it's the ONLY way, that's your place.
I only suggested the thrower bit because Thrower isn't a modded class... it's a vanilla class that got scrapped that ALOT of mods built onto to. And it should stay a core-shared class in modding because of that

Yeah, I 120% agree, content mods are not meant to be played together, playing 50+ at the same time is a huge and very common mistake.

(I think they said they would add a config for the textures.)

About 4, I think they said on the discord that they may be reworking some vanilla bosses, including WoF, partially so that the sprite fits (for WoF) and because 80% of vanilla bosses suck
People aren't really going to be doing that anymore thanks to 64bit being kinda hard to use now.
But again, my point is: that thrower isn't a modded class. I REALLY look down on people who take the easy way out and convert to ranged, ranged is OP already don't make it worse please.

As for WoF yeah pretty sure the sprites aren't the only thing that's due a make over, in addition to their look, the overall gameplay and design of vanilla bosses are really dated and it shows, especially those before 1.3 (Duke is fine imo thou)

Oh believe me, they do. They absolutely do. And then the stupids report bugs galore despite the obvious cause of the bugs being the huge amount of mods they use. :sigh:
This is pretty much all the negative reviews on steam's TML so uh...
I don't think 64bit is really the problem here...

If you load MC up with 100+ mods and it crashes, how is TML going to be any different?

I mean most of this is very doable, at some point ive seen mods impliment similar features.
My biggest concern is if the mod would be capable of changing around code inside vanillas framework with as few bugs as possible, because as far as I know vanilla (specifically Redcode) is god awful and frustrating to work around which result in bugs. Something sounding as simple as adding a 5th pillar isa daunting task.

Im just glad at least people arent going to be throwing Thrower to the wayside coming 1.4 TML

I mean most of this is very doable, at some point ive seen mods impliment similar features.
My biggest concern is if the mod would be capable of changing around code inside vanillas framework with as few bugs as possible, because as far as I know vanilla (specifically Redcode) is god awful and frustrating to work around which result in bugs. Something sounding as simple as adding a 5th pillar isa daunting task.
Imagine IL patching Terraria's God Classes only for other people to do the same thing... yeah it gets messy, pretty damn fast. Thankfully that's a skill that not alot of people have and you can often work it out with the person 1-on-1

Im just glad at least people arent going to be throwing Thrower to the wayside coming 1.4 TML
Oh FINALLY, thank god someone else supports Thrower's Plight, :dryadhappy: :

Talk about amazing sprites. They're often the best hook for mods and this one nails it. I'm glad throwing is going to be important in this mod and not just abandoned and changed to ranged like many other mods are doing. Although I would second that it should use the pre-existing throwing class if possible, for better cross mod usage. Not all content mods are big game changers that are only balanced within themselves. There's smaller content mods meant to be used among larger ones too.

Hardly anyone is talking about the alternate evil biome, which I feel is a huge change. I haven't seen any other tModLoader mod attempt such a thing, so I'll be interested in seeing how that turns out. Always nice to see suggestions become mods, since very few of them go beyond suggestions.

At first, I thought from the name, Beyond the Stars, there would be new locations to explore in space, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Well, it does help the scope of the mod from becoming too big and expands upon what's already in Terraria worlds.

Talk about amazing sprites. They're often the best hook for mods and this one nails it. I'm glad throwing is going to be important in this mod and not just abandoned and changed to ranged like many other mods are doing. Although I would second that it should use the pre-existing throwing class if possible, for better cross mod usage. Not all content mods are big game changers that are only balanced within themselves. There's smaller content mods meant to be used among larger ones too.
imo, thrower was always bad (ranger clone™) and honestly i'm fine with its complete removal. if mods want to add it, they can, but i don't like how some people say that mods shouldn't abandon it. (also content mods are almost never meant to be played together, and in 1.4, mods who add throwing will not be compatible at all, because of the fact that it was annihilated from the code, and they'll have to use a modded class for it.)

imo, thrower was always bad (ranger clone™) and honestly i'm fine with its complete removal. if mods want to add it, they can, but i don't like how some people say that mods shouldn't abandon it. (also content mods are almost never meant to be played together, and in 1.4, mods who add throwing will not be compatible at all, because of the fact that it was annihilated from the code, and they'll have to use a modded class for it.)
Yeah, I'm not going to argue that vanilla 1.3 throwing lacked an identity beyond "your character physically throws these weapons". I'm not saying mods have to keep throwing, but just that I'm personally glad when they do. I'm also someone against telling modders what to do, which go far beyond suggestions. Although my wording wasn't entirely clear on "should use the pre-existing throwing class if possible", which can sound like a demand, which isn't my intention. I gear mixed things about if tModLoader 1.4 (not vanilla) has throwing code still for the sake of a common base for modders to use. I give a special case to throwing because it used to be in vanilla, so multiple mods like this one will want to bring it back. It's not the same thing as something new, new like say, an alchemist, that multiple mods are doing their own take on such a concept.

When I say content mods, I don't mean just the big ones (like Thorium and Spirit) that add things like bosses and such, but smaller ones that add items here and there, often ones not big enough to last a whole playthrough on their own. Focusing on just the smaller ones, sure, they're not strictly designed to work with specific other mods, but the nature of tModLoader means they can be used together. Like for example, something like Clicker Class. I think it's highly unlike people won't run that aside at least a few other smaller content mods as well. Things like boss balance pre-Moon Lord won't be perfect, but still may be an acceptable level for others.

Yeah, I'm not going to argue that vanilla 1.3 throwing lacked an identity beyond "your character physically throws these weapons". I'm not saying mods have to keep throwing, but just that I'm personally glad when they do. I'm also someone against telling modders what to do, which go far beyond suggestions. Although my wording wasn't entirely clear on "should use the pre-existing throwing class if possible", which can sound like a demand, which isn't my intention. I gear mixed things about if tModLoader 1.4 (not vanilla) has throwing code still for the sake of a common base for modders to use. I give a special case to throwing because it used to be in vanilla, so multiple mods like this one will want to bring it back. It's not the same thing as something new, new like say, an alchemist, that multiple mods are doing their own take on such a concept.

When I say content mods, I don't mean just the big ones (like Thorium and Spirit) that add things like bosses and such, but smaller ones that add items here and there, often ones not big enough to last a whole playthrough on their own. Focusing on just the smaller ones, sure, they're not strictly designed to work with specific other mods, but the nature of tModLoader means they can be used together. Like for example, something like Clicker Class. I think it's highly unlike people won't run that aside at least a few other smaller content mods as well. Things like boss balance pre-Moon Lord won't be perfect, but still may be an acceptable level for others.

I only suggested the thrower bit because Thrower isn't a modded class... it's a vanilla class that got scrapped that ALOT of mods built onto to. And it should stay a core-shared class in modding because of that

This is how I feel about that:
You can diss thrower all you want but there are alot of people who wanted to see more out of the class, and Relogic's decivision to remove the code was easily one of the most unforgiving things they did considering it offered very little to no overhead by leaving it in the game and they KNEW it would break alot of mods later on.
I get that this is kinda a normal thing for like Minecraft, but Terraria is alot more stream lined and quite alot more connected fan-to-dev imo. Calamity got an early warning about throwing being removed because it's a selling point for the game now.
From the looks of it thou, TML is going to have an improvised solution, and I hope people build on it well.

Also apparently the OP is a Riot Games concept artist, that would explain the professional grade sprites right off the bat

Last edited:
Thanks for the love, everyone! We're still ideating and discussing ideas for new content, and we've swung by to share a tiny snippet with you:

1606656168064.png

In the parallel goblin universe, Summoners get all the love, and the other classes are left in the dust... but not anymore! Tired of being pushovers, the goblins are gearing up and bringing the (shadow)heat! Watch out when triggering this invasion in Hardmode... it might prove to be a gobstopper!

1606656197958.png

But goblins are clumsy, so hit them hard enough and they might drop some of their sweet new treasure for the taking! Some folk say the weaker goblins have been seen carrying new tools as well, but surely that's just hearsay... right?

Discord saw it first, so in case you're not with us over there, hop into the official Beyond the Stars server to make sure you keep up with all the news!​

This looks awesome I’ve just started tooking for mods and such to play around with and I haven’t found any that have really wanted to make me play through it all the way but this I like and it hasn’t even come out yet. I love the updated boss textures and the new bosses too. I also really like the attention to detail with the updated biome stuff like evil variants of turtles and wasps when the jungle gets overgrown by corrupted/crimson. I like the idea of the new evil biome it looks fun to explore and I’m especially excited for the boss rush thing.
TLDR:I’m excited

Back
Top Bottom