Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
So, in my new expert mode world I was farming for a bezoar to fight queen bee easily, but after increasing my luck with jungle torches, ladybugs and potions and killing 100+ hornets not a single one droppped.

I know this can be just bad luck, so I went and searched online to see I anyone had a similar problem and I found this discussion on the gamepedia wiki, where one of the comments said that in singleplayer there was a bug with this particular drop. So, I hosted my own world, went to the jungle and the first freaking hornet that I killed dropped a bezoar.

This may be a bug or just a matter of luck, but it's so weird that it makes me hesitate.

Edit: I checked and I've gotten the full ancient cobalt armor, that has a 0.33% chance of dropping instead of the 2% chance of the bezoar.

Last edited:
So, in my new expert mode world I was farming for a bezoar to fight queen bee easily, but after increasing my luck with jungle torches, ladybugs and potions and killing 100+ hornets not a single one droppped.

I know this can be just bad luck, so I went and searched online to see I anyone had a similar problem and I found this discussion on the gamepedia wiki, where one of the comments said that in singleplayer there was a bug with this particular drop. So, I hosted my own world, went to the jungle and the first freaking hornet that I killed dropped a bezoar.

This may be a bug or just a matter of luck, but it's so weird that it makes me hesitate.

Edit: I checked and I've gotten the full ancient cobalt armor, that has a 0.33% chance of dropping instead of the 2% chance of the bezoar.
The issue in question was a typo that has long since been resolved. Killing 100 Hornets is really not that many, so my assessment would be that you were indeed unlucky.

The issue in question was a typo that has long since been resolved. Killing 100 Hornets is really not that many, so my assessment would be that you were indeed unlucky.

Following up, the exact same thing happened to me with a Tally Counter in a Dungeon., and I killed like 300 dungeon monsters in total.

I will keep updating if any of this keeps happening.

Last edited:
I think it's just RNG...

I'm playing single player, normal mode (so, most of these has 1% basic chance to drop?)
I got 1 bezoar in pre-hardmode, and like 8 in hardmode while looking for life fruits, clorophyte, and plantera's bulbs... I do have jungle torches in the jungle, so that might raises the luck significantly too though.
I got like 4-5 tally counters too. I think it's all just RNG...

Why do some people assume that percentages are somehow not percentages but somehow linear increases?
You aren't bound to drop something with a 1% chance on your 100th enemy. Every individual enemy rolls a 100-sided dice and you happened to have one of the 99 sides 300 times in a row.
While you had the lucky rolls on the armor more frequent, as it is all random.

Every individual enemy rolls a 100-sided dice and you happened to have one of the 99 sides 300 times in a row.

Such is the problem with a truly random drop chance, and is why I prefer modded solutions to the problem, even as simple as tokens from enemies that can be crafted into what you want. (imksushi's mod, hope it's updated for 1.4 eventually when tmodloader catches up)

The beast we call RNG feeds on the life force of people that think a 1% chance guarantees a drop within 100 kills.
I wish it was a pseudo random system instead. Suppose that with a 1% chance to drop, a mob would have a 1% chance for the first kill. 2% for the next, 3% for the next, scaling up to 100% for the 100th kill to guarantee it, then it resets. If the mob dropped the item before the 100th kill, it would not have a chance to drop it again until you had killed it at least 100 times.

I wish it was a pseudo random system instead. Suppose that with a 1% chance to drop, a mob would have a 1% chance for the first kill. 2% for the next, 3% for the next, scaling up to 100% for the 100th kill to guarantee it, then it resets. If the mob dropped the item before the 100th kill, it would not have a chance to drop it again until you had killed it at least 100 times.
For which items? This probably shouldn't be selective. So now every time you want souls of night, you gotta kill 100 enemies each.

The current system works fine.

For which items? This probably shouldn't be selective. So now every time you want souls of night, you gotta kill 100 enemies each.

For items that drop from specific mobs. Souls are a product of killing mobs in a biome (almost) regardless of type.
Until you get the statistical outliers that take 10 or 20x the average kills to get the item, then you end up with some very frustrated players.

For items that drop from specific mobs. Souls are a product of killing mobs in a biome (almost) regardless of type.
Then how about Ichor/Cursed Flames or Tissue Samples/Shadow Scales from Creepers/EoW Segments? You have to kill 100 of each just to get them again?

Then how about Ichor/Cursed Flames or Tissue Samples/Shadow Scales from Creepers/EoW Segments? You have to kill 100 of each just to get them again?
I specifically meant items that are in the bestiary with a listed % drop chance, and the 100 was for an item with a 1% drop chance. If something had a 50% drop chance, it would reset every 2 kills. Etc.

Please don't be obtuse.

Back
Top Bottom