Game Mechanics Biome Announcements

Should this be a thing that happens?

• Yes!

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No, and I'll tell you why.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No, and I'm a jerk, so I won't leave a comment to tell you why I dislike it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The1DarkLord

Skeletron Prime
I think that the first time you enter a biome, you should get a big, fancy announcement on your screen. It will simply tell you the name of the biome.

For instance, when you start, text should fade in and say "Forest" above the player and then fade out.

When you enter the desert, "Desert" appears.

This should only happen above ground, except for underground-specific biomes, like the "Underground Jungle", the "Glowing Mushroom Biome" , and of course, the "Underworld"

I think this will really help new players who haven't been on the forums or wiki to figure things out. I think it will add a nice feel to exploration, where normally, you just go through and you're like "oh, a desert," or "oh, some snow." This addition will turn that into "Sweet! I found something!"

I just want to add a little something to reward players for getting to new places.

Please Vote!

Last edited:
Just a note: "Purity" does not mean "Forest". "Purity" means the absence of hallowed, crimson, corruption or mushroom biomes. Consider that the green solution changes 'biome' ice back to normal ice, 'biome' sand to normal sand or mushroom biomes back to jungle. Instead of saying "Spreads the purity", a better tooltip would be "Purifies the land" or similar.

Anyway, yes, a small note would be nice, though I think it should always appear, not just the first time. The first time, it could be more obvious, but then it should be less intrusive thereafter (probably a small bit of text in the corner of the screen). This will help later players to see what biome they're in as well - e.g. if they're fishing on biome borders.

Since 1.3 is already including accessories that specify things like weather and DPS, saying which biome you're in is a natural extension to this. It'd fit in really well!

Oh. Cool. I will update the post. Thanks.
[DOUBLEPOST=1434678631,1434678428][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, just to let people know, this would not be done with an accessory. This would simply happen when you enter a new biome type for the first time. It would help new players figure out where things are.

How's this: this doesn't happen on every world for every character. It only happens for new characters.
Then there is a hardmode upgrade for the gps or something where it tells you not only your position, but the biome too.

Back
Top Bottom