Other Biome generation option

fluxxdog

Terrarian
Probably way too late to the ball game but... Wanna play on Dune or Hoth? (Side note, is it a coincidence that they both have 4 letters?)

I was looking at TEdit and got an idea to make a desert world. Naturally, I called it Dune. Started swapping out stone for sandstone, covered the top layer of dirt and grass with sand, replaced the rest of the world's dirt with hardened sand, even swap the clay for desert fossil. Even swapped Ebonstone and Crimstone for their sandstone counterparts. Used a drunk world for fun, but on the whole, it's kinda neat. Naturally, there are a lot of minutiae to make it wholly clean. The tools in TEdit do a nice job of large scale editing, but I thought this could be so much cleaner if done during world generation where all the holes and pitfalls that come with large scale editing could be more cleanly dealt with.

Then I thought, "Gasp! What if this was done with ice? We could play on Hoth!" And this could even extend to the jungle as well. Please note: I am aware of the special bee seeds, but I'm talking about something more normalized than bees everywhere. That's its own fun.

A few of the things I quickly thought of in these scenarios. First, difficulty would be greatly increased for new characters. Enemies would be at a higher level and the common resources that you normally have are not available. Stone, for instance, wouldn't exist to craft a furnace, so you'd have to find iron or lead bars bars to make a Glass Kiln.

Second, later game play would be different. You wouldn't have the biomes you would normally have, it'd all be one general type. Playing on Hoth? You've got ice underground, hollow ice underground, and crimson/corruption ice underground. Also, if not a jungle world, then there'd be difficulty in having Plantera bulbs spawn for the required boss fight. Like there'd need to be a perhaps hidden jungle area to find so the Plantera can be fought.

Third, these worlds could make for some creative world building. Since you're limited on resources, you'll have to build with materials you're not used to. Start off with a wood or dirt house for the guide? Not on Dune! Grab some cactus and get to work! Just be careful sitting on that chair.

I would love to see this as special world seed like 5162020. Also, can anyone think of a jungle name that uses 4 letters? My own brain is batting zero for 218 and google ain't helping. Also also, I posted this under other as this encompasses way more than other suggestion categories.

This could be very very interesting, and quite an interesting challange and a curious change of air.
However these one-biome worlds bring up a few problems with things such as whether you could complete the bestiary or not...

Indubitably. But the challenge is of course how far can you get? I am approaching this from the lowest common denominator, which would be brand new character played by someone with experience. After all, they have to know what they're doing in order to enter such a seed anyway. I've tried the "For the Worthy" and hoo boy, lemme tell ya. That ain't no joke!

But that's the idea. What can you do in such a world?

I definitely would give them a try, if there would be such seeds.
I just wonder what things would be impossible to get in some of them, and how much that would affect a playthrough? But it sounds like an interesting challange both for adventuring and building.

I know. Like I said earlier, without any stone, no furnace. Plus recipes for potions would be unavailable. No dirt underground for blinkroot, so you'll have to hope for a patch of mud for it to grow on, limiting Spelunker potions. Honestly, planning around what you're missing sounds like one hell of a challenge.

What would also interest me would be if the chests were also changed. If there were only biome appropriate chests, that means no lava charms. A lot of this stuff isn't easy to do by hand. I've made my worlds and happy with the appearance, but I'd have to hand edit every chest if I want the actual feel.

Heh, and in the dungeon, nothing but ice chests to unlock after Plantera.

I'd say the Bestiary shouldn't be all that much of a concern when it comes to special seeds. But if it truly needs to be accounted for, then have those biomes generate rarely in the same way that glowing mushroom or granite caves generate. So there would be a few jungle pockets replacing glowing mushroom pockets, and just one underground desert cave replacing a granite cave.

I kinda like that idea, Tarluk. Maybe this'll give the devs something to toy with and <shrug> who knows? Could be fun on a bun! ^^

Back
Top Bottom