Items Black Spot Mount NEEDS To Be Nerfed

Terrablade101

Terrarian
This mount is extremely OP, especially for the time that you’re able to obtain it. Infinite flight is supposed to be Post Golem, and it feels too OP against the mech bosses to be able to never have to touch the ground that early on in hard mode. It essentially gives you the infinite flight drop that the empress of light drops straight away into hardmode. It ruins the point of wings and their whole progression as well. I understand that it is master mode, but with this mount the mechs seem to be easier on master mode than expert mode. One possible nerf that was suggested by a user on reddit (I forgot his name) was to make the Flying Dutchman a post plantera boss. This would be a very good way to keep the mount valuable while not making it OP. Another possible nerf could be to make the mount have to touch the ground after an extended amount of time, maybe after 15 seconds or so. Comparing this mount to the UFO as it currently stands, it is much faster vertically once full speed, which can be instantly accessed by dashing with the shield of Cthulhu. It feels as if infinite flight isn’t even special anymore with this mount, as it’s so easily obtainable. Let me know what you guys think about the nerfs I suggested or even suggest some of your own.

To add on to that, it doesn’t make sense that Queen Slime drops a mount that only can slightly fly, but the Flying Dutchman drops an infinite flight mount which also can fly vertically very fast. She is much more difficult to fight than the Flying Dutchman, which can be cheesed by sitting inside and using the Daedalus Stormbow.

The mount is insanely strong. I use it until I got the celestial starboard, I even preferred it over the UFO.

The mount is insanely strong. I use it until I got the celestial starboard, I even preferred it over the UFO.
Yeah, that’s a huge red flag. It shouldn’t even compare to the UFO at all. I really feel like it ruins the special feeling of acquiring infinite flight whether it be from the empress of light drop or the UFO, ESPECIALLY because it is from the Flying Dutchman which can easily be cheesed by sitting inside or behind blocks while fighting. IMO if they make it so that it’s flight only lasts for like 15 ish seconds then it’s golden. It still will have the fast dashing speed and still be fairly useful but will require a slow startup speed to get it going. It could basically be a unicorn in the air that has to touch the ground occasionally.

It is a Master mode drop, and it's available early-hardmode as you said, but after plantera seems a bit too long. I suggest it'll only spawn after all 3 mechs are defeated OR they keep its spawn like it is and they make the change to the Flying Dutchman like they did with the Martian saucer and the ML (attacks to go through blocks) so you can't cheese it

I disagree - as a master mode drop it’s absolutely suitable. The agility provided by the mount is just about the worst of any of the flying mounts which I think it’s a very reasonable downside considering how necessary mobility is while fighting anything in master mode
Instruction for noobs how get from -82 mph to 82 mph in less than a second:
1. Dismount
2. Dash with your Shield of Cthulhu
3. Mount

Gaining the ability to outrun hardmode bosses before being forced to fight them is something what ruins the fun in master mode for me.

So we nerf the Shrimpy Truffle aswell? Available at the same stage and is as fast as that one in/after liquids and has better manoeuvrability.

So we nerf the Shrimpy Truffle aswell? Available at the same stage and is as fast as that one in/after liquids and has better manoeuvrability.
No, not at all. The Shrimpy Truffle actually has to be earned. IF you can defeat Duke Fishron that early on in hardmode, than good for you, you deserve infinite flight. However, the black spot is dropped by the Flying Dutchman who can easily be defeated straight away into hardmode by sitting inside or behind blocks to take it down. There really isn’t any challenge to earn that mount and it’s way too op for the lack of challenge.

No, not at all. The Shrimpy Truffle actually has to be earned. IF you can defeat Duke Fishron that early on in hardmode, than good for you, you deserve infinite flight. However, the black spot is dropped by the Flying Dutchman who can easily be defeated straight away into hardmode by sitting inside or behind blocks to take it down. There really isn’t any challenge to earn that mount and it’s way too op for the lack of challenge.
You can beat the Duke consistently after beating one mechanical boss without the need of any skill. 4 teleporters make the fight trivial.
It is not that hard to beat him in early hardmode either if you have a pair of wings and the SoC. He is as difficult as the invasion without an arena.
And as easy as the invation with an arena.
People are just scared of Fishron because they are not prepared. He is an easy boss, probably easier than the mechs, definitely easer than Plantera.

I don't think it's that impressive. The infinite flight is very handy but also is a disadvantage in many ways. Same goes for UFO Mount.

- At short distances its mobility is horrendous. Don't plan on dodging the same as without it.
- You can obtain far greater speed/flight without a mount. It's just not infinite.
- I find it to be near worthless when mining or fighting in close quarters.
- The Black Spot increases your height to 5 tiles, which is even worse than the UFO mount.
- Its not difficult to get superior Wings/Speed well before you even can summon the pirates.

So it makes the Mech Bosses easier. In my opinion they were very unbalanced in Expert Mode and now they nerfed Titanium Armor. I think the mount negates the nerfing and keeps things balanced.

Yeah, in my opinion the Black Spot is a balanced mount.
1. It's a master mode drop, and even if the Flying Dutchman can be easily cheesed, you still need to farm for a pirate map and hope you get the drop.
2. It's mobility is terrible, and even if you say use a Shield of Cthulhu, there's the disadvantage of needing to carry around a Shield of Cthulhu around instead of any other good accessory.
3. The Shrimpy Truffle is a much better mount and if someone wants to get it right at the start of hardmode, it isn't that hard to get. Most players just don't think about beating Duke Fishtron right after WOF.

1. It's a master mode drop, and even if the Flying Dutchman can be easily cheesed, you still need to farm for a pirate map and hope you get the drop.
2. It's mobility is terrible, and even if you say use a Shield of Cthulhu, there's the disadvantage of needing to carry around a Shield of Cthulhu around instead of any other good accessory.
3. The Shrimpy Truffle is a much better mount and if someone wants to get it right at the start of hard-mode, it isn't that hard to get. Most players just don't think about beating Duke Fishtron right after WOF.

Wait how is carrying the sheild of cthulu and using a accessory slot a disadvantage? it literally saves on using Hermes boots, then mount replaces wings. Meaning it is 1 less accessory slot which would be used for a mobility item. How is fighting duke fishron easier than killing the dutchman? If I were speed running terraria I would rather get the dutchman, building a flat area for truffle worm takes time, ontop of getting bundle of balloons if your using Tea's strat. and isn't it harder to rubber band bosses if you need time to heal if your going less than 50mph?

Seeing that this is talking about master mode, there is no extra armor resistance it is literally 40 damage - 20 armor = 20 Health, instead of 40 damage - (20 armor * 0.75) = 25. So you legit get 3 shot if you even attempt as mage.

Looking at it in a noobs prospective its harder to kill duke fishron than getting dutchman as well... I'm actually curious.

Edit: I accidentally used the formula saying the enemies gives 20 DAMAGE as the total, when it should be the the total HEALTH after taking said damage.

Last edited:
This mount is extremely OP, especially for the time that you’re able to obtain it. Infinite flight is supposed to be Post Golem, and it feels too OP against the mech bosses to be able to never have to touch the ground that early on in hard mode. It essentially gives you the infinite flight drop that the empress of light drops straight away into hardmode. It ruins the point of wings and their whole progression as well. I understand that it is master mode, but with this mount the mechs seem to be easier on master mode than expert mode. One possible nerf that was suggested by a user on reddit (I forgot his name) was to make the Flying Dutchman a post plantera boss. This would be a very good way to keep the mount valuable while not making it OP. Another possible nerf could be to make the mount have to touch the ground after an extended amount of time, maybe after 15 seconds or so. Comparing this mount to the UFO as it currently stands, it is much faster vertically once full speed, which can be instantly accessed by dashing with the shield of Cthulhu. It feels as if infinite flight isn’t even special anymore with this mount, as it’s so easily obtainable. Let me know what you guys think about the nerfs I suggested or even suggest some of your own.
For a mastermode drop, I find this is right now compensating for the lack of really any mastermode drops. Infact I agree to nerf it when there is something a tad more. Either buff the shrimpy truffle or nerf the mastermode item..... To be honest there needs to be generally more items in mastermode as a way to obsolete it.

3. The Shrimpy Truffle is a much better mount and if someone wants to get it right at the start of hardmode, it isn't that hard to get. Most players just don't think about beating Duke Fishtron right after WOF.
Most people are under the impression that, Wall of flesh, mechanical bosses, then Plantera, and Post-Plantera bosses being the Empress of Light, Duke Fishron, and Golem. or consider Empress of light post-golem. For me, I find the flying dutchman is entirely broken for the stage of the game it is collected in. As you can basically sacrifice mobility some in favor of a mount compensation. Once you collect Dutchman

I've found that the Black Spot makes the mechs a lot easier, especially Prime. Because he and the Twins tend to stay a fixed distance away from you, the Black Spot allows you to move at such a high, and constant, speed that you can surf away from most of their ranged attacks. Cursed flame balls move only marginally faster than the Black Spot at full tilt, giving you ample time (by my count, 2-3 seconds) to dodge; lasers are only a little faster. Even in Spazmatism's second form, which doesn't stay a fixed distance away, it's possible to stay afield of the charge + flame breath by running away while using some vertical movement, which I will note does not detract from your horizontal speed.

The mechs aren't the toughest bosses out there, but the Black Spot makes them so trivial that it's just... better than any other strategy you could have at that point. It's certainly better than any other mount. It suffers in other fights (like, say, Plantera), but it completely invalidates those specific bosses.

If I had to implement one change to this item, it would be making vertical movement and horizontal movement more difficult to use at the same time. A max speed of 82 should be possible when going straight horizontally as well as going diagonally up or down.

Instruction for noobs how get from -82 mph to 82 mph in less than a second:
1. Dismount
2. Dash with your Shield of Cthulhu
3. Mount

Gaining the ability to outrun hardmode bosses before being forced to fight them is something what ruins the fun in master mode for me.
That's a valid strategy. Master mode wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but the Black spot mount had nothing to do with that, I didn't even have it for the first 3 mech bosses.
The trouble with master mode as a whole is the same reason why I used to criticise Calamity, loads of damage and HP doesn't equate difficulty. If you have the ability to fly and dash, you can infinitely dodge boss attacks, no matter how much health they have. The problem here is the difficulty of bosses not being changed at all, the black spot just REALLY highlights that.
I have to disagree with your second point. Dashing is very important and very useful, it's why I always play expert mode or higher. (SoC+ Boots + Wings are mandatory accessories for me).

That's a valid strategy. Master mode wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but the Black spot mount had nothing to do with that, I didn't even have it for the first 3 mech bosses.
The trouble with master mode as a whole is the same reason why I used to criticise Calamity, loads of damage and HP doesn't equate difficulty. If you have the ability to fly and dash, you can infinitely dodge boss attacks, no matter how much health they have. The problem here is the difficulty of bosses not being changed at all, the black spot just REALLY highlights that.
It is even worse when playing summoner where half of the items are straight up worthless, inconsistent, and the difficulty is fun and all, but. It becomes a dodging game rather than a damage and skill.

According to Leinfors, Black Spot was meant to be a "fun" item only meant for traveling across your world quickly, and they didn't take boss fights into consideration at all when designing it. It kind of means that you can't really nerf the speed or flight time while keeping this vision...

HOWEVER, there is a way to nerf it without touching this original intent. You could simply make it so items aren't usable while the mount is active, meaning that it's almost completely useless for kiting unless you're playing Pure Summoner (which there is literally zero support for anyway so I don't even consider that a downside.) This makes it useless for bosses, without getting rid of the quick travel it also provides.

According to Leinfors, Black Spot was meant to be a "fun" item only meant for traveling across your world quickly, and they didn't take boss fights into consideration at all when designing it. It kind of means that you can't really nerf the speed or flight time while keeping this vision...

HOWEVER, there is a way to nerf it without touching this original intent. You could simply make it so items aren't usable while the mount is active, meaning that it's almost completely useless for kiting unless you're playing Pure Summoner (which there is literally zero support for anyway so I don't even consider that a downside.) This makes it useless for bosses, without getting rid of the quick travel it also provides.
It could still be viable though, to quickly get away, that would be a good compromise swapping between mount and item, adds a bit more skill involved. That's how I'd use it at least 🥴

Back
Top Bottom