OOC Black, Tainted Calamity (OOC Thread)

G1!+¢h+r@p said:
Neat! I'm not a huge fan of the fact that strengths and abilities are unlisted, but if you reveal it later and it's not actually too OP for where we're at rn, then I approve it. Animus, what do you think?
Considering their weakness states they cannot do much to assist in battle, we can assume the abilities and strengths are unrelated to combat for the most part. Because of this, the best the abilities and strengths can do with that weakness is utility and misc for the most part. So on that reasoning, I'd approve of it, and if anything comes up, we can discuss and retroactively revise it if needed.

TerraBreak said:
Can somebody give me a character sheet so I can submit my new character?
Check the first page of the thread.

Name: Terra

Appearance: Terra is an anthro axolotl. He has mostly green skin, with some gold areas, such as his gills and the edge of his tail.

Equipment: Basic armor and this axe. (Note: It will start off relatively weak, but will become stronger as Terra progresses.)

Abilities: Can breathe air, despite being an axolotl (for obvious reasons). When in combat, Terra builds up Terra energy (very creative name, I know). He can release it (any released energy is used up) in a variety of ways, such as general ability enhancements, a powerful wave of energy, or an omnidirectional shockwave.

Strengths: Great swimmer (as if this will ever come up lmao), resistant to cold and ice-based magic and toxins.

Weaknesses: Vulnerable to fire and heat.

Personality: I suck at personalities lmao

A few things.

1. What is considered basic armor? It could be iron, copper, cactus, so on. Mind clarifying?
2. No problem with the axe itself, but how stronger will it become and when will it become stronger? Does it begin to shoot blades, and if so, when, that sort of stuff. Reason why this is relevant is because I can see someone sneaking in a stronger attack with it as a lmao power up when in danger sort of thing, and we'd rather have a more concrete answer instead of having an unknown answer.
3. How powerful is the Terra Energy? Give an example of it hitting something or buffing. Similarly, at what rate does it increase, fast or slow? And how much of this energy is required to do things?
4. I'll consider the strengths fine, however, with an exception about the toxins, the Sulfurous Sea would most likely get past those resistances, considering it was designed to get past poison and water breathing resistances in game with its own debuffs. Similarly, the Plague I will consider an exception to the resistance due to how it works in lore.

I guess he could start with a low-tier ore armor and upgrade as he progresses?

What I was thinking of for the axe being upgraded was like it being infused with boss & biome materials, being "restored" after plantera, and maybe after that follow the standard calamity post-terra tiers (terra, elemental, exo). I haven't yet decided how the upgrades will affect what the axe does, but I guess I can cross that bridge when it comes to it.
I suppose something I could do is have the colors of the axe be dulled and faded and be slightly damaged at the beginning, maybe have the infusions alter its color or create a rune on it, signifying a new effect of it, and have the axe be fixed and its color restored after plantera.

I guess I could have multiple tiers for each effect/attack and an energy cost for each, but I didn't think about how fast it would charge, or how it would be tracked. I am not very good at character design.

Honestly, I couldn't really think of anything better for the strength and weaknesses, I'd be open to suggestions for them.

TerraBreak said:

What I was thinking of for the axe being upgraded was like it being infused with boss & biome materials, being "restored" after plantera, and maybe after that follow the standard calamity post-terra tiers (terra, elemental, exo). I haven't yet decided how the upgrades will affect what the axe does, but I guess I can cross that bridge when it comes to it.
I suppose something I could do is have the colors of the axe be dulled and faded and be slightly damaged at the beginning, maybe have the infusions alter its color or create a rune on it, signifying a new effect of it, and have the axe be fixed and its color restored after plantera.

I guess I could have multiple tiers for each effect/attack and an energy cost for each, but I didn't think about how fast it would charge, or how it would be tracked. I am not very good at character design.

Honestly, I couldn't really think of anything better for the strength and weaknesses, I'd be open to suggestions for them.
You'll have to manage your armor yourself, it's not an auto-upgrade every time you defeat a boss. However, the tier one armor is fine, I'll list it as copper armor then, I guess.

In reference of the Legendary Weapons former abilities, we can have them scale off of the bosses. However, any upgrades you do add to the axe after defeating a boss must be named right after the boss is defeated, i.e. now that the wall of flesh is defeated, it can now shoot lasers or whatever. This is to prevent unknown effects from being cheated in, while you still can add effects.
Concerning Post-Terra tier though, while the Elemental tier is fine, Exo-weapons is exclusively for Draedon's personal equipment such as the Exoblade, Exogladius, Vivid Clarity, and so on, as anything Exo in Calamity usually relates to Draedon. It is better to use Auric as a tier here, not Exo.
Also, using biome materials is a no on that part, reasoning being that biomes change due to the boss progression, and therefore it gets problematic with tracking with which effect comes where.

With your Terra Energy, we will have to wait until you figure something out about that, unfortunately.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the exo/auric split

Maybe it could be that a certain amount of the energy generates after a certain amount of actions? I honestly can't think of anything better, but if you don't like it I'd be fine with scrapping it altogether.

Also, I know that it's not an automatic upgrade for armor, and I'll make sure to state the upgrades the axe gets.

I suppose that will have to do. Perhaps a 2 normal actions: 1 energy ratio, maybe, to be forgiving, with actions using Terra Energy not counting towards that ratio. It may not be perfect, but it doesn't seem to be game breaking in the end anyways, especially in a text-based RP. If need be, we can discuss this later and retroactively change if it comes to it.

With that, I do not see any other glaring problems and so, by the power vested in me if I still have it, I would accept the character.

I meant not sure, I just forgotten the not of the sentence..
Oof, well, it's up to you!
Considering their weakness states they cannot do much to assist in battle, we can assume the abilities and strengths are unrelated to combat for the most part. Because of this, the best the abilities and strengths can do with that weakness is utility and misc for the most part. So on that reasoning, I'd approve of it, and if anything comes up, we can discuss and retroactively revise it if needed.

Check the first page of the thread.
Alrighty, sounds good. That's what I was thinking along the lines of anyways-
Name: Terra

Appearance: Terra is an anthro axolotl. He has mostly green skin, with some gold areas, such as his gills and the edge of his tail.

Equipment: Basic armor and this axe. (Note: It will start off relatively weak, but will become stronger as Terra progresses.)

Abilities: Can breathe air, despite being an axolotl (for obvious reasons). When in combat, Terra builds up Terra energy (very creative name, I know). He can release it (any released energy is used up) in a variety of ways, such as general ability enhancements, a powerful wave of energy, or an omnidirectional shockwave.

Strengths: Great swimmer (as if this will ever come up lmao), resistant to cold and ice-based magic and toxins.

Weaknesses: Vulnerable to fire and heat.

Personality: I suck at personalities lmao
A few things.

1. What is considered basic armor? It could be iron, copper, cactus, so on. Mind clarifying?
2. No problem with the axe itself, but how stronger will it become and when will it become stronger? Does it begin to shoot blades, and if so, when, that sort of stuff. Reason why this is relevant is because I can see someone sneaking in a stronger attack with it as a lmao power up when in danger sort of thing, and we'd rather have a more concrete answer instead of having an unknown answer.
3. How powerful is the Terra Energy? Give an example of it hitting something or buffing. Similarly, at what rate does it increase, fast or slow? And how much of this energy is required to do things?
4. I'll consider the strengths fine, however, with an exception about the toxins, the Sulfurous Sea would most likely get past those resistances, considering it was designed to get past poison and water breathing resistances in game with its own debuffs. Similarly, the Plague I will consider an exception to the resistance due to how it works in lore.

You'll have to manage your armor yourself, it's not an auto-upgrade every time you defeat a boss. However, the tier one armor is fine, I'll list it as copper armor then, I guess.

In reference of the Legendary Weapons former abilities, we can have them scale off of the bosses. However, any upgrades you do add to the axe after defeating a boss must be named right after the boss is defeated, i.e. now that the wall of flesh is defeated, it can now shoot lasers or whatever. This is to prevent unknown effects from being cheated in, while you still can add effects.
Concerning Post-Terra tier though, while the Elemental tier is fine, Exo-weapons is exclusively for Draedon's personal equipment such as the Exoblade, Exogladius, Vivid Clarity, and so on, as anything Exo in Calamity usually relates to Draedon. It is better to use Auric as a tier here, not Exo.
Also, using biome materials is a no on that part, reasoning being that biomes change due to the boss progression, and therefore it gets problematic with tracking with which effect comes where.

With your Terra Energy, we will have to wait until you figure something out about that, unfortunately.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the exo/auric split

Maybe it could be that a certain amount of the energy generates after a certain amount of actions? I honestly can't think of anything better, but if you don't like it I'd be fine with scrapping it altogether.

Also, I know that it's not an automatic upgrade for armor, and I'll make sure to state the upgrades the axe gets.
I suppose that will have to do. Perhaps a 2 normal actions: 1 energy ratio, maybe, to be forgiving, with actions using Terra Energy not counting towards that ratio. It may not be perfect, but it doesn't seem to be game breaking in the end anyways, especially in a text-based RP. If need be, we can discuss this later and retroactively change if it comes to it.

With that, I do not see any other glaring problems and so, by the power vested in me if I still have it, I would accept the character.
Ok
Edit: 2 of my actions or 2 of anyone's actions?
You do still have the power, Animus lol. You're probably the best character critiquer that I know, so there's no way I'd ever take away a character approval position from you with that in mind xD-

I'm assuming 2 of your actions, considering you're the one using the axe, TerraBreak-

rolled a number to determine who to RP as (at least for the first character) and I got 11 so its time for me to use some determination
to figure out who became 11 when I skip out 3 characters that don't fit.

rolled a number to determine who to RP as (at least for the first character) and I got 11 so its time for me to use some determination
to figure out who became 11 when I skip out 3 characters that don't fit.
Alright, can't wait to see what you come up with!

Name: Tulip
Appearance: 14y-o human female, red hair, black eyes, glasses, green sweater, glove only on her right hand, gray sweatpants.
Equipment: Handgun and Rifle (She’s probs going to get the Soma Prime/Void dragon at some point
Abilities: 1.5x breath in the Abyss, has an dimensional walk-in-talkie to talk to Draedon with
Strengths: More damage with all ranged weapons
Weaknesses: Not much health, and takes more damage from enimies (Like having 80 health in Master Mode)

Last edited:
CasuallyChillin’ said:
Name: Tulip
Appearance: 14y-o human female, red hair, black eyes, glasses, green sweater, glove only on her right hand, gray sweatpants.
Equipment: Handgun and Rifle (She’s probs going to get the Soma Prime/Void dragon at some point
Abilities: Can dive to the bottom of the abyss without taking damage or breath loss, as she’s so used to huge amounts of pressure (Stress joke), is friends with DoG
Strengths: More damage with all ranged weapons
Weaknesses: Not much health, and takes more damage from enimies (Like having 50 health in Master Mode)
Incredible problems with the abilities. First and foremost, on a lore standpoint, DoG has too much ego to be friends with anyone, as even with his sentinels he has legit no friends, only a respect for each other, as seen with Signus. The only people who have been able to get past DoG's ego was Draedon and Yharim, Draedon due to his creations, and Yharim because Yharim canonically can kill the DoG with a single hit made apparent by both the developers words and implied with the lore item stating he would dispose of the DoG if he got too troublesome. On a gameplay/roleplay standpoint, I can see possible abuse in the system using DoG for your own purposes to eat other bosses and so forth. It both breaks lore and possibly the gameplay, which is why I'd say no to that.

Second, the whole bypass the abyss completely negates the point of the abyss's mechanics which were designed to stop players from just teleporting or waterbreathing potion down there with no problem, which this ability would basically waterbreathing potion your way down there, which is why I'll say no to that as well.
RazorBlade said:
one question, what tier of equipment is allowed..?
Early pre-hardmode armors, mainly the normal metals at most. You can bring in custom armor also but that requires approval.

I probably stick to my character being armorless, also what about weapons (I am guessing that
the weapons that are allowed must be obtainable pre boss)

Back
Top Bottom