PC Blade Staff vs Sanguine Staff

DirtFrogWaffle

Terrarian
I’m doing an expert mode playthrough with a friend who’s playing as a summoner. We’ve been doing a lot of research online, but we can’t seem to find a definitive answer. So, is the sanguine staff or the blade staff(with ichor and summon tag) better?

It's not even a competition. The sanguine staff is near-impossible to obtain and doesn't even have the rapid dps potential of the blade staff. Blade staff op.

Blade Staff, absolutely. Sanguine Staff requires multiple layers of RNG to obtain (Blood Moon if you don't have Bloody Tear, fishing up the boss, hoping the boss drops the staff) that it's more difficult than its worth.

If you just started hardmode, you might wanna pick up Spider Staff first. This should hold your summoner friend until you get the Blade Staff to drop.

I recommend the optic staff
I don't recommend the Optic Staff. You won't find a better minion than the Blade/Sanguine Staff until Ravens, and that's only better against some content (won't work against fishron/EoL). Xeno Staff is the first true upgrade to the Blade Staff.

Also you get Dark Harvest at the same time as the Raven Staff, and its synergy with Blade Staff is pretty nuts.

I don't recommend the Optic Staff. You won't find a better minion than the Blade/Sanguine Staff until Ravens, and that's only better against some content (won't work against fishron/EoL). Xeno Staff is the first true upgrade to the Blade Staff.

Also you get Dark Harvest at the same time as the Raven Staff, and its synergy with Blade Staff is pretty nuts.
Deadly spheres make a decent upgrade

You're probably more likely to get Xeno Staff before you get Raven Staff or Deadly Sphere Staff, at least it was for me based on my experience. Xeno Staff has a 16.66% chance to drop from an event boss that is very predictable to fight and can trivialize (even with the death ray being able to shoot through floors), whereas Raven Staff has 1.79-14.29% from an event boss that just zerg rushes you and fights like Skeletron on steroids.

People like the Blade Staff? I retired that thing in favor of the Spider Staff not long after I got it.

People like the Blade Staff? I retired that thing in favor of the Spider Staff not long after I got it.
The Spider Staff does more damage, but the minions are most ideal in closed spaces or large arenas with back walls. You can see their limitations quite clearly in fights involving anything that can be in the air. The Twins, Skeletron Prime, The Destroyer and its probes, The Flying Dutchman, Martian Saucer, Wyverns, etc. These enemies must be fought in an arena with walls so the spiders can actually reach them, but they are also pretty slow and are not always successful. Enchanted Daggers, on the other hand, are very fast and can fly towards their target and thus they don't need any terrain preparation to properly utilize.

The optic staff does decent damage against most things and they are fast. Also the Pygmy staff is really good to get as it unlocks the tiki armory set for summoners

The optic staff does decent damage against most things and they are fast. Also the Pygmy staff is really good to get as it unlocks the tiki armory set for summoners
You can buy the Tiki armor without the Pygmy Staff, and the optic staff is worse than the blade staff in all cases

You can buy the Tiki armor without the Pygmy Staff, and the optic staff is worse than the blade staff in all cases
You need to get to Pygmy staff for the witch doctor to sell tiki armor, it doesn’t matter if you use it, it just needs to be in the world whether dropped or taken in from another world

The Spider Staff does more damage, but the minions are most ideal in closed spaces or large arenas with back walls. You can see their limitations quite clearly in fights involving anything that can be in the air. The Twins, Skeletron Prime, The Destroyer and its probes, The Flying Dutchman, Martian Saucer, Wyverns, etc. These enemies must be fought in an arena with walls so the spiders can actually reach them, but they are also pretty slow and are not always successful. Enchanted Daggers, on the other hand, are very fast and can fly towards their target and thus they don't need any terrain preparation to properly utilize.

I've used the Spiders against the Flying Dutchman quite effectively. Once they latch onto a cannon they will bite it until it is destroyed. All you have to do is aim the summon where you want them.

I've used the Spiders against the Flying Dutchman quite effectively. Once they latch onto a cannon they will bite it until it is destroyed. All you have to do is aim the summon where you want them.
Maybe if you unsummon your spiders first in order to do that, because resummoning while at your cap is going to result in only one spider getting moved.

Back
Top Bottom