Biomes & Nature Blue moon event.

Alunovem

Terrarian
Likely been suggested before, but I wanted to share my own take on it.

We're all aware, the phrase. "Once in a Blue moon." equates to a rare or uncommon occurrence. This event would essentially be "A night of good fortune & luck." as it were. Effects might include:

-Water is unusually visible all-throughout, even without light. (This night only).
-Moon appears brighter than usual. Nights of a blue-moon will not be as noticeably dark as normal/Bloodmoon nights. (visible streaks of moonlight in background).
-Increased critical-hit chance. (Maybe 10 or 15%. an ideal night for hunting bosses).
-Increased item drop-rates from mobs.
-Prices on items/services decreased for this night only. NPC's seem unusually kind/charitable in behavior. (Even the Tax-Collector, if you can believe it).
-All herbs. (Daybloom, Moonglow, Blinkroot, Shiverthorn, Deathweed, Waterleaf & Fireblossom) Will yield seeds if harvested this night only.
-All herbs/trees/strange plants grow at a slightly-increased rate this night only.
-Perhaps a new potential merchant that "Might" visit this night? and leave just before morning. Selling some new wares. (Perhaps inspired by Resident Evil 4's merchant, just for giggles).
-A low-tier unique mob or two, only seen during the Blue Moon. (I'm thinking "Enigma" or "Paradox" works as a decent name. Might drop random assortment of useful resources).
-A slightly tougher, rarer mob called "Lady Luck." (Drops a vanity set, maybe).
-Mob spawn rates generally unaffected, like any other night. (Though the water candle & Battle potion will have a slightly more pronounced effect this night only).
-Mobs will still spawn normally, even despite NPC's nearby presence.

-Fishing power increased tonight. Potential chance to catch a new type of fish this night only.
-Fishing crates more commonly found this night only.
-(This is a maybe) Desirable/positive prefixes on weapons/accessories more common from reforging at the Goblin Tinkerer. (Blue-Moon only).
-Increased spawn-rate of Bone merchant & Lost girl. (Still only beneath the surface. Blue-Moon only).
-Slightly less-likely to be afflicted with specific debuff's from mob attacks. (Like feral bite, from bats). (Blue Moon only).
-Dye-Trader may possibly give a new type of dye, if you give him a rare plant. (Blue-Moon only).
-(This is a maybe) NPC's can respawn during the time of a Blue-Moon. (Only if you meet the criteria to spawn them. They don't spawn any other type of night, as normal).
-Mana cost for magic weapons reduced by -10%. (Blue moon only).
-10% Chance to not consume ammo with bows/guns/launchers. (Blue-Moon only).

This is a pretty long list already, and is subject to change. I only posted ideas that, I think would work with a luck-based night.

I've heard the Blood-Moon occurs at an 11% chance every night, and an Eclipse 5% every morning.
I propose the Blue-Moon also occur at a rate of maybe 5% nightly. (4% minimum. Any less and players may never experience one at all). :(
However: No criteria are required for a Blue-Moon to occur, it can even happen the very first night of a world after being made. (I doubt many would be that lucky).

Post your suggestions/opinions below.

Last edited:
Uhh... 2% rate could mean someone would need to wait 100-200 days before getting the event if unlucky, or even do an entire playthrough before getting one at all.

Uhh... 2% rate could mean someone would need to wait 100-200 days before getting the event if unlucky, or even do an entire playthrough before getting one at all.

True point. Wouldn't be enjoyable if it couldn't be experienced.
I guess 5%, (same rate as the Eclipse) wouldn't be so bad. I'll make the edit now.

I like the concept, but a lot of the ideas seem like random good things instead of being related to Luck. Stuff like NPC's being cheaper, Herbs always blooming and others don't really fit the idea of luck.

I'm thinking about massively increasing the chances of something rare happening, such as:
- 5%> drops becoming 4x as likely to drop
- A much higher chance of fishing up rare things (Frog Leg, Prismite, Gold Crates)
- Rare Creatures (those detected by Lifeform Analyzer) being 5x more common
- Bosses dropping more items per kill.
- etc.

This way, this gives you the potential to massively reduce the time you spend grinding, but without being too overpowered as nights are still very short so you'd have to manage your time wisely.

Last edited:
I like the concept, but a lot of the ideas seem like random good things instead of being related to Luck. Stuff like NPC's being cheaper, Herbs always blooming and others don't really fit the idea of luck.

I'm think about massively increasing the chances of something rare happening, such as:
- 5%> drops becoming 4x as likely to drop
- A much higher chance of fishing up rare things (Frog Leg, Prismite, Gold Crates)
- Rare Creatures (those detected by Lifeform Analyzer) being 5x more common
- Bosses dropping more items per kill.
- etc.

This way, this gives you the potential to massively reduce the time you spend grinding, but without being too overpowered as nights are still very short so you'd have to manage your time wisely.

While I don't disagree with the statement that some of the benefits seem more like a guarantee than a stroke of luck. The very chance of a blue-moon even happening, is a big stroke of luck itself. :)

I feel that, having at least one, two, or a few absolute-benefits, would make the occurrence of a Blue-Moon actually feel worthwhile, something to jump up about. Instead of just a seemingly uncommon disappointment to many if their luck doesn't pan out well during the night. :(
(But of course, the benefits must be kept within reason. I wouldn't want an overpowered-event either. Just some variety of activity during the night, with a limited timeframe to do it in).

Likely been suggested before, but I wanted to share my own take on it.

We're all aware, the phrase. "Once in a Blue moon." equates to a rare or uncommon occurrence. This event would essentially be "A night of good fortune & luck." as it were. Effects might include:

-Water is unusually visible all-throughout, even without light. (This night only).
-Moon appears brighter than usual. Nights of a blue-moon will not be as noticeably dark as normal/Bloodmoon nights. (visible streaks of moonlight in background).
-Increased critical-hit chance. (Maybe 10 or 15%. an ideal night for hunting bosses).
-Increased item drop-rates from mobs.
-Prices on items/services decreased for this night only. NPC's seem unusually kind/charitable in behavior. (Even the Tax-Collector, if you can believe it).
-All herbs. (Daybloom, Moonglow, Blinkroot, Shiverthorn, Deathweed, Waterleaf & Fireblossom) Will yield seeds if harvested this night only.
-All herbs/trees/strange plants grow at a slightly-increased rate this night only.
-Perhaps a new potential merchant that "Might" visit this night? and leave just before morning. Selling some new wares. (Perhaps inspired by Resident Evil 4's merchant, just for giggles).
-A low-tier unique mob or two, only seen during the Blue Moon. (I'm thinking "Enigma" or "Paradox" works as a decent name. Might drop random assortment of useful resources).
-A slightly tougher, rarer mob called "Lady Luck." (Drops a vanity set, maybe).
-Mob spawn rates generally unaffected, like any other night. (Though the water candle & Battle potion will have a slightly more pronounced effect this night only).
-Mobs will still spawn normally, even despite NPC's nearby presence.

-Fishing power increased tonight. Potential chance to catch a new type of fish this night only.
-Fishing crates more commonly found this night only.
-(This is a maybe) Desirable/positive prefixes on weapons/accessories more common from reforging at the Goblin Tinkerer. (Blue-Moon only).
-Increased spawn-rate of Bone merchant & Lost girl. (Still only beneath the surface. Blue-Moon only).
-Slightly less-likely to be afflicted with specific debuff's from mob attacks. (Like feral bite, from bats). (Blue Moon only).
-Dye-Trader may possibly give a new type of dye, if you give him a rare plant. (Blue-Moon only).
-(This is a maybe) NPC's can respawn during the time of a Blue-Moon. (Only if you meet the criteria to spawn them. They don't spawn any other type of night, as normal).
-Mana cost for magic weapons reduced by -10%. (Blue moon only).
-10% Chance to not consume ammo with bows/guns/launchers. (Blue-Moon only).

This is a pretty long list already, and is subject to change. I only posted ideas that, I think would work with a luck-based night.

I've heard the Blood-Moon occurs at an 11% chance every night, and an Eclipse 5% every morning.
I propose the Blue-Moon also occur at a rate of maybe 5% nightly. (4% minimum. Any less and players may never experience one at all). :(
However: No criteria are required for a Blue-Moon to occur, it can even happen the very first night of a world after being made. (I doubt many would be that lucky).

Post your suggestions/opinions below.
This is a pretty cool idea. I think it definitely has the potential to be a good mod if someone decides to make it. Not me though, because I don’t know that much about coding. :)

Back
Top Bottom