Items Boats! A New Way to Stay Afloat

Would you want this to be added?

• No, this would break the balance of the game

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Yello_X

Queen Bee
Welcome to my first ever suggestion! I don't know if a similiar thread is already made (I searched everywhere) or if the devs are actually planning to add boats, so here you go!

In Terraria, we have minecarts, gigantic flying UFOs, a flying pig-dragon hybrid, but no boats? So I propose this new aquatic mount that allows us to sail the seven seas! Wait, there are only 2 oceans in Terraria, oh well.

So, there will be three types of boats; a Wooden Boat, an Obsidian Hellcruiser, and a Hallowed Streamjet. They all serve the same function, which is to provide easy aquatic (Honey included) transportation, with the Obsidian Hellcruiser and the Hallowed Streamjet having the unique ability to float on lava. This will make fishing somewhere easier if the surface monsters are way more dangerous than the water ones. So, without further ado, I introduce to you, the Boats!
The Wooden Boat will have a 4 minute timer that shows its durability, and when it reaches 0, it dismounts but you still keep the boat itself, but you need to reactivate it again. It will look like a normal boat with patches of wood planks nailed to it. It moves at 25 mph, 10 more than your average running speed. This will be obtainable after you get access to a Sawmill.
24 of any Wood type at a Sawmill. This will give you a Wooden Boat
The Obsidian Hellcruiser has unlimited float time! This will be an upgrade to your friendly neighbourhood wooden boat. It also has the ability to float on lava, making fishing for Voodoo fishes relatively safer. This will look like a recolored and retextured version of the UFO mount (Sorry for my bad explaination but I tried my best). It moves at 42 mph. You will need an Anvil, obviously.
24 Obsidian at an Anvil. This will give you an Obsidian Hellcruiser
"So, why add the Hallowed Streamjet if the Obsidian version has unlimited buoyancy?" you ask. Well, instead of a passive boat, this one will resemble a Mech Minecart, with its own Laser Cannon. This one also has unlimited buoyancy and the ability to float on lava. This will look like a mechanical speedboat. So, technically this will be an aquatic Mechanical Minecart. It moves at 57 mph. You will need a/an Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil to make one (and an Expert Mode world)
1 Mechanical Engine Piece + 1 Mechanical Buoyancy Piece + 1 Mechanical Refractor Piece
So, you may have noticed the new Mech. Pieces :dryadwink:! They will drop alongside the normal Mech. Minecart pieces with their respective bosses. The Mech. Engine belongs to The Destroyer, the Mech. Buo. belongs to Skeletron Prime, and the Mech. Refractor belongs to The Twins.

Oh no, we're not done yet! I added a new item, the Pontoon! They will be blocks that can support other blocks, placed on water and has limited movement (10 blocks across on each side) and are tiered according their sizes, starting from 5 blocks wide, 10 blocks wide, 20 blocks wide and 30 blocks wide. They will look like a bunch of logs with a yellow inflatable pool below.
2x Wood + x Iron/Lead Bars for reinforcement
x equals to the width of the Pontoon
Added from a suggestion made by @TMB50

Thanks for reading, criticism and suggestions are welcome! If anyone wants to do sprites/support banners, either post your message here or just PM me. I won't forget to tag you too :D

9/30/18 - Added Pontoons, buffed Wooden Boat float time, changed Hallowed Prismfloater to Hallowed Streamjet

Last edited:
The Hardy Saddle and Shrimpy Truffle basically already do this, and I hardly see the need for multiple types of an already fairly limited item. That being said I don't think a simple boat would be too difficult.

The Hardy Saddle and Shrimpy Truffle basically already do this, and I hardly see the need for multiple types of an already fairly limited item. That being said I don't think a simple boat would be too difficult.
Well yes, but the Hardy Saddle will bobble up and down, making fishing ineffective. The Shrimpy Saddle could be a better replacement but by the time you get this, there would be no point to go fishing. (Oh yeah, why did I make that Hallowed Prismcruiser?) Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

Well yes, but the Hardy Saddle will bobble up and down, making fishing ineffective. The Shrimpy Saddle could be a better replacement but by the time you get this, there would be no point to go fishing. (Oh yeah, why did I make that Hallowed Prismcruiser?) Anyway, thanks for the feedback!
Maybe the HS should be able to float

Making them mere mounts is a rather boring way to do it. It would be better for boats to be world objects that can be moved, and on which it's possible to build, at least to a limited extent, which would make them a way to give some mobility to placed weapons.

Making them mere mounts is a rather boring way to do it. It would be better for boats to be world objects that can be moved, and on which it's possible to build, at least to a limited extent, which would make them a way to give some mobility to placed weapons.
I was also thinking about that, but seeing that you could already place blocks above water by connecting, I don't think that would prove useful and also, I don't really know if blocks can move automatically or something. I might make a Pontoon or something similiar for that

I was also thinking about that, but seeing that you could already place blocks above water by connecting, I don't think that would prove useful and also, I don't really know if blocks can move automatically or something. I might make a Pontoon or something similiar for that
A boat that cannot be customized would be a lot less useful, as a "cage" can also provide shelter against most monsters.

A boat that cannot be customized would be a lot less useful, as a "cage" can also provide shelter against most monsters.
The boats were actually going to be the first means of aquatic transportation for newer players, and how big would the customizable boat be? 15×15?

1. The timer was there to prevent new players from staying afloat for too long
2. There are 3 boats for progression
3. Thank you :dryadgrin:

1. So they can experience drowning and also loot Water Chests
2. Three, technically. The Wooden (Normal) minecart, the Metallic (First) minecart, and the Mechanical (EXPERT) minecart so having three wouldn't hurt so much, would it?

That's a good idea, but it's useless. The only places with large natural quantities of water are the oceans, and it makes no sense to be navigating there like a disturbed, there's nothing there! And as Lord Garak said, there are already the Hardy Saddle and the Shrimpy Truffle.
[doublepost=1538913708,1538913581][/doublepost]I support it if it has a great function. Now, it is well to navigate with an obsidian boat through Hell

Sometimes the world generation feature just hates you and places huge bodies of water everywhere (Like me), and building takes too long, so yeah. Here you go.
Now you can also cruise through the Underworld with the Hellcruiser!

Sometimes the world generation feature just hates you and places huge bodies of water everywhere (Like me), and building takes too long, so yeah. Here you go.
Now you can also cruise through the Underworld with the Hellcruiser!
Yes, you're right.

Back
Top Bottom