Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 7
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I understand that the Book Mount isn't meant to be an all-powerful flying mount of any sort, and is just meant to hover over the ground.

However, it seems to be unable to move upward at all. Even when simply moving along the ground, it can't even get over one block high steps. It can't even go up stairs because moving upward is literally impossible for it. You can't even jump up stairs. At least the lava shark can still jump!

As a result the book is 100% useless as a mount. Mounts are meant to aid movement, but this is a mount that can barely move at all.

The only use I could see it having at all is being a way to survive large falls... but that's ridiculous. There are a million better ways to survive fall damage, which are also entirely plausible for the player to have at the stage of the game when they can get the Book mount. Spectre Boots. Cloud in a Bottle. Lucky Horseshoe. Not only can you plausibly have any one or even all of those, it's honestly kind of inconceivable to me that you would be fighting the Old One's Army and NOT have any of those. Even if you say "well, maybe you don't want to use an accessory because your combat build requires the use of every slot" ...okay, but there are still non-accessory ways to mitigate fall damage, like the Slime, Bee, and Bunny mounts, or firing a Hook downward mid-fall. (Also, a combat build that requires you to be gimped for everything else should be used only in combat, where you shouldn't be dealing with lots of cliffs to fall off of anyway.)

Of course, you could also say it's meant as a "vanity item," similar to the Djinn's curse which gives an effect that it already meaningless by the time you can get the item... except it still doesn't even work for that either, because you can't equip it in a vanity slot and since it's still barely able to move and utterly unusable, you can't even just use it for fun. You can have it and equip it and just never use it, just to say you have it... but what's the point if I'll never see it?

Point is, the Book mount is worthless. There is no logical reason why anyone should use it and there is no reason for it to be this way. Even if this is intended behavior, it should still be fixed.

I don't expect this to be the most awesome mount in the game, no, since it is still a pre-Hardmode item, but it is also a Master Mode item, so it should definitely be at least somewhat cool, or at least basically usable, right? Why not make it actually hover a little bit off the ground, similar to the way Wraiths move? That would actually be useful.

Or actually, here's an idea that would be cool and usable, and also super easy to do so you're not required to rebuild the whole thing. Give it land movement similar to a horse or some other mount, where it can go up and down stairs and all that, just changing the item graphic to add empty space underneath it so it looks like it's a little bit off the ground and you're hovering, but you're really just "running" along the ground. Of course it would still retain the hovering ability and fall negation too. And no, I don't think that would be overpowered. Would it make most other pre-Hardmode mounts obsolete? Yes. But that's only fair. It absolutely SHOULD be better than the other pre-Hardmode mounts, because I repeat: it is a Master Mode item.

As is, there is absolutely no reason to even bother with this thing.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I agree with your assessment. Its meant as a sort of upgraded Magic Carpet, and in that regard, the Magic Carpet CAN do step-ups, so I'm making a report about that.

The issue here seems to be that the functionality of the 'Up' key with this mount is broken.

If you use the Jump key while completely on the ground (Hold the Down key to ensure you are), you'll gain an okay amount of height and can float along just fine, even controlling your height with Down. However, Up will only work until you're like, a single pixels distance above the ground, after which it loses functionality entirely AND blocks space from jumping.

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment. Its meant as a sort of upgraded Magic Carpet, and in that regard, the Magic Carpet CAN do step-ups, so I'm making a report about that.

So, upon thinking more, I feel like there are two big issues...

1. The movement is broken, as mentioned. The up key causes problems as Full Metal Kirby said, and it gets stuck on blocks. Thank you for reporting that, but I do have one more issue...

2. With all due respect, because there is no "nice" way for me to say this... the animation is stupid. Seriously, I apologize, but it's dumb as Hell, and it makes me wonder why this item works completely differently for me than it does for the Dark Mage. Why do they get to float like a badass, while I throw it on the ground and pretend it's a skateboard?

All I want is to be able to float, and I feel like this would be super easy to do. It could even otherwise work exactly the same. It doesn't have to actually be like wraith-style... just put a block or two worth of space between me and the ground. That's literally all I want. I want my Dark Mage's Tome - which I remind you, I had to fight the Old One's Army on Master Mode to get - to be an actual badass floating magic book, and not a skateboard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom