Items Boomerangs and chakrams should be throwing weapons

Good idea?

• Total voters

Braquen

Dungeon Spirit
The title pretty much explains everything. It would make so much more sense if they were classified as throwing weapons.

Realistically, yes, but from a design perspective, no. To which of the five classes (melee, ranged, magic, summon and thrown) a weapon belongs is defined by which resources the weapon consumes (if any), not necessarily from their effect (Summoning weapons being an exception).

ClassConsumes?
MeleeNothing
RangedAmmunition
Magic/SummonMana
ThrownThe weapon itself

So while a weapon like the Daybreak may seem like a Thrown weapon, it doesn't consume anything, and therefore is a melee weapon. Same goes for Boomerangs and Chakrams: they're not consumed, ergo they're not Thrown.

Yes, I would definitely say there are some inconsistencies in the classification of weapons (Harpoon, Piranha Gun, Bone Glove), but I wouldn't say Boomerangs and Chakrams are one of them.

Last edited:
Realistically, yes, but from a design perspective, no. To which of the five classes (melee, ranged, magic, summon and thrown) a weapon belongs is defined by which resources the weapon consumes (if any), not necessarily from their effect (Summoning weapons being an exception).
|Consumes?
Melee|Nothing
Ranged|Ammunition
Magic|Mana
Thrown|The weapon itself
Summon|Mana (distinguishes itself from Magic through behaviour)
So while a weapon like the Daybreak may seem like a Thrown weapon, it doesn't consume anything, and therefore is a melee weapon. Same goes for Boomerangs and Chakrams: they're not consumed, ergo they're not Thrown.

Yes, I would definitely say there are some inconsistencies in the classification of weapons (Harpoon, Piranha Gun, Bone Glove), but I wouldn't say Boomerangs and Chakrams are one of them.

I think I could make them exceptions, but that's just my opinion. Not every weapon must use ammo or has to be consumed. :p

|Consumes?
Melee|Nothing
Ranged|Ammunition
Magic|Mana
Thrown|The weapon itself

Though there are exceptions to these rules, for example: the harpoon and piranha gun deal ranged damage, but don't consume ammo.

Though there are exceptions to these rules, for example: the harpoon and piranha gun deal ranged damage, but don't consume ammo.

I know, I actually highlighted those as examples. I just don't feel that making more exceptions is a good solution.

|Consumes?
Melee|Nothing
Ranged|Ammunition
Magic|Mana
Thrown|The weapon itself

I can understand the logic behind their decision for in-game purposes, but hear me out on this one.

When it comes to identifying how a weapon is classified, I look at it this way:
Melee|You are physically swinging the weapons, having it deal damage based on your own strength and the effects based on what kind of weapon it is
Throwing|You are throwing the weapon(s), with the weapon dealing the damage on impact. You have little to no control over the weapon after it is launched
Ranged|The weapon you are holding is launching a projectile. The projectile is dealing damage based on how strong the weapon is
Magic|You are using the mystical energies to deal damage to enemies
Summon|You are summoning entities to fight along side you. They deal damage by themselves, so you can assist them with any of the above damage
Looking at the Ranged one, I think this is what Redigit was thinking when they classified the Harpoon, Piranha Gun, and Bone Glove; The first two use the weapon to launch a projectile, the Bone Glove a worn implement to empower the Bones you throw.

It would make melee-only playthroughs much harder. They're pretty much the long range melee weapons before hardmode. There are things like the ice blade, but they aren't enough...

It would make melee-only playthroughs much harder. They're pretty much the long range melee weapons before hardmode. There are things like the ice blade, but they aren't enough...
The last reply was before Cenx stated on Twitter that a full throwing class was unlikely to happen.

That being the case there's no reason for this to happen anymore.

Edit: I forgot to mention yoyos solve your problem.

What if they stayed as melee weapons, but could still be affected by throwing damage modifiers? Boomerangs/Chakrams/Javelins lack a synergy with the throwing armor set bonuses since they are not consumed on use, like every other throwing weapon, but in theory they should count as being thrown

I support changing Chakrams and Boomerangs to Throwing type damage.

I agree with the concept that a weapon in the game that is physically thrown should deal Throwing type damage (unless the weapon is special in another way).

But that being said; I know Cenx, as mentioned before, is not looking to flesh out a Throwing "class". The involvement of changing melee's arsenal and adjusting for a new class is actually a massive undertaking as I understand it. I'm not saying this will probably never happen... but the chances of it are incredibly low. Even by regular suggestion standards.

As a boomerang/chakram fan I can only greatly oppose this idea as it would heavily deprive the melee class particularly early on. On this basis Melee would lose quite a lot of the new 1.3 weapons. (You effectively would remove all Boomerangs, Shadowflame Knife,vampire knives,scourge of the corrupter, daybreak and of course the Yo-yo sub class which would destroy melee balance at nearly all stages of the game) Yes it could be done in a balanced way but that would be a massive undertaking and would force melee to change its function completely

To be honest my personal view is that trowing damage should never have been added based on how the developers seem to want to manage it. But that said the only way I can see the throwing class work inn hardmode would be as a little to no RNG class as anything else would conflict with another class's role

Back
Top Bottom