NPCs & Enemies Boss concept - Paladin Lord

FairyPrincessSerenity

Empress of Light
A while ago, I'd made a suggestion to buff the Paladin to make it more versatile an enemy when encountered. Such a suggestion was met with a considerable amount of disapproval, so I wisely dropped it. So instead, a revision is made for a stronger variant and at the same time, a boss themed for the hardmode dungeon.

For starters, the spawning method. The boss would be spawned by creating an item combining the remains of fallen Paladins combined with rare metals and just a touch of souls. Additionally, the Paladin's Armor Shard item shall be dropped by Paladins to aid in the crafting recipe.

+3 Paladin's Armor Shard
+25 Hallowed Bars
+5 Ectoplasm
= 1 Haunted Armor

The Paladin Lord is intended to be spawned at night, and doesn't disappear if morning hits. However, if dawn hits, its attacks gain the ability to cause the Broken Armor debuff.

Stats:
Max life: 24,000
Damage - 100 with the hammer, 175 with the sword
Defense - 50

The Paladin Lord is a boss enemy roughly twice the size of a standard Paladin. It carries the standard hammer attack, which does the same amount of damage as the regular Paladin's attack, as well as a secondary close range sword attack that does a quite bit more damage. It will constantly attempt to move in closer to you in order to strike with its sword, capable of phasing through solid blocks if they get in its way. Attempting to stay out of its range will be met with the hammer barrage. As it can see through walls, this makes it considerably more efficient. At half health, it will attempt to teleport next to the player in addition to its regular attacks.

Drops:
Paladin's Sword - Roughly the size of the Breaker Blade but with more knockback. 72 base damage. No additional effects. ~ 2.5% drop chance.
The Judgment (Flail) - 60 base damage. Has a chance to inflict the Broken Armor debuff. ~ 2.5% drop chance.
Paladin's Hammer - 90 base damage. No additional effects. ~ 25% drop chance.
Paladin's Shield - 4 defense. Absorbs 25% of damage done to players on your team when above 25% life. ~ 25% drop chance.
Paladin's Helmet - 20 defense. 6% increased melee damage. ~ 5% drop chance.
Paladin's Chainmail - 25 defense. 6% increased melee damage and critical strike chance. ~ 5% drop chance.
Paladin's Greaves - 15 defense. 2% increased critical strike chance. 8% increased movement speed. ~ 5% drop chance.
(Armor set effect - Triple defense for the Paladin's Shield if equipped)
Paladin Lord Trophy ~ 10% drop chance.
Armor Polish - Immunity to Broken Armor ~ 1% drop chance.
15 gold coins ~ 100% drop chance.
5-15 Greater Healing Potions ~ 100% drop chance.
1 Holy Core ~ 100% drop chance.

Drops from standard Paladins:
1 Paladin's Armor Shard ~ 100% drop chance.

In addition to the possible armor piece drops, the Holy Core can be combined with Paladin's Armor Shards to make the armor pieces manually. Weapons will not be craftable and the Paladin must be defeated to obtain them.

Nothing more to add besides a sprite or a few, and I'm not necessarily the best person to be trying to make one.

Last edited:
People won't like the Paladin's Hammer and Paladin's Shield in the crafting recipe at all. Hallowed Bars and Ectoplasm should suffice. If you need to add a special Paladin drop for the specific purpose of crafting the summoning item, you can go ahead and try that. But we never give up weapons and accessories to craft consumable items.

People won't like the Paladin's Hammer and Paladin's Shield in the crafting recipe at all. Hallowed Bars and Ectoplasm should suffice. If you need to add a special Paladin drop for the specific purpose of crafting the summoning item, you can go ahead and try that. But we never give up weapons and accessories to craft consumable items.

Your post had the me look at the specifics of Paladin items, and evaluating the statistical odds of dropping both Paladin's items is particularly low. Modifying the crafting recipe in regards to these findings.

Can the boss spawn only in the dungeon??
If it can,the fight is going to be hard due to less area to evade & dodge the boss's Attacks

Can the boss spawn only in the dungeon??
If it can,the fight is going to be hard due to less area to evade & dodge the boss's Attacks

I considered it, but the mob would be too powerful in that environment without heavy dungeon to arena modification, which would be needlessly time consuming to the player.

Eternalserenity said:
I considered it, but the mob would be too powerful in that environment without heavy dungeon to arena modification, which would be needlessly time consuming to the player.
So does that mean we can spawn it in any biomes

This has nothing to do with what a paladin actually is: a healer, the support class that heals other people.

I think he should drop armor, instead he should have a 100% chance to drop a core which will be crafted into armor because then it will only add the need for grinding this boss.

This has nothing to do with what a paladin actually is: a healer, the support class that heals other people.

Paladins were holy knights of the church, not undead slayers and healers that games like Dungeons & Dragons would imply. But if you were to insist on the healing role, a full Paladin's Armor set combined with the armor bonus, Paladin's Shield, and Vampire Knives should fill this role quite nicely.

I think he should drop armor, instead he should have a 100% chance to drop a core which will be crafted into armor because then it will only add the need for grinding this boss.

What? If you read the loot tables, it clearly states that Paladin Lords have a 5% chance to drop armor and a 100% chance to drop a Holy Core which combined with the regular Paladin's drops crafts the same armor anyway. It's similar the Eater of Worlds dropping the materials but the other Corruption mobs having a chance to drop Shadow Armor.

What? If you read the loot tables, it clearly states that Paladin Lords have a 5% chance to drop armor and a 100% chance to drop a Holy Core which combined with the regular Paladin's drops crafts the same armor anyway. It's similar the Eater of Worlds dropping the materials but the other Corruption mobs having a chance to drop Shadow Armor.
I know that, but imagine you get that piece of armor you already have instead of something else you want.

You are missing the point.
The fact that you will have to grind the boss even more then you will most likely need to.

I know full well that your point is to suggest the elimination of RNG from this suggestion. The majority of the game is random luck if you haven't noticed, starting as early as world gen with the placements of chests, ore, and corruption/crimson. While I respect your argument, having been on the receiving end of attempting to kill Duke Fishron a good fifty times for a set of wings, I am not looking to remove probability from exclusive drops from the suggestion at this time.

I know full well that your point is to suggest the elimination of RNG from this suggestion. The majority of the game is random luck if you haven't noticed, starting as early as world gen with the placements of chests, ore, and corruption/crimson. While I respect your argument, having been on the receiving end of attempting to kill Duke Fishron a good fifty times for a set of wings, I am not looking to remove probability from exclusive drops from the suggestion at this time.
So you hate RNG and promote it? What I want is not to remove RNG entirely, but to lessen its impact on the players.
What is the point in making it drop armor and something that crafts the exact same armor?

So you hate RNG and promote it? What I want is not to remove RNG entirely, but to lessen its impact on the players.
What is the point in making it drop armor and something that crafts the exact same armor?

I didn't say I hated it. More neutral towards it. Terraria is good about giving players what they need to progress through the game, with optional equipment -while better - is harder to get. I had addressed the loot table in relation to your concerns a bit ago, adding the Paladin's standard drops at a considerably higher rate than standard Paladins will drop them. As for the armor, you have it a bit backwards. The obtaining method is to craft it, with the rare drop chances for the armor being a bit of a lucky bonus. The only items bound to rare RNG-based drops are the exclusive weapons.

I didn't say I hated it. More neutral towards it. Terraria is good about giving players what they need to progress through the game, with optional equipment -while better - is harder to get. I had addressed the loot table in relation to your concerns a bit ago, adding the Paladin's standard drops at a considerably higher rate than standard Paladins will drop them. As for the armor, you have it a bit backwards. The obtaining method is to craft it, with the rare drop chances for the armor being a bit of a lucky bonus. The only items bound to rare RNG-based drops are the exclusive weapons.
Then you should specify it and not expect users to guess it.

Back
Top Bottom