NPCs & Enemies [Boss][Enemy] The Owl

Artie

King Slime
So, it struck me today the are not many hardmode enemies in the forest biome. Maybe that's because forest actually becomes quite rare if you are not good in stopping the spreading.
My suggestion gives a reason for saving the forest - a new enemy and a new boss, both found only in forest biome. ;)

It would be pretty rare, look like a typical owl - its wings and head dark brown, belly - lighter brown, eyes yellow and beak black --
index.php

Health - 400
Armour - 5
Dmg - 30

Drops - Owl's Wing
( 5%, 1 in 20 chance)
CANNOT be used as wings, only a material

The Owler has 2 phases -
In 1st phase it looks like a bigger owl, in second its wings are frayed , and its eyes are red.

Health- 10,000
Armour- 15 / 20 (1st and 2nd phase)
Dmg- 40 / 50

1st phase
Flies on top of you
Wings deal 2x more dmg
Inflicts "slow" debuff
Fires burning feathers in circulary motion, each dealing 50 dmg

second phase starts at half health.

2nd phase
More dmg and health, its attacks gain on speed and ferocity.
Lays bomb-like eggs that harm the player if within its radius

Summoned by feathery puppet
- made by combining 5 souls of night and light and Owl's Wing at a demon/crimson altar.

tooltip- "bears the essence of the wisest"

When used in forest at night it spawns the Owler

In expert mode the Owler is stronger -
15,000 Health
20 / 25 Armor
50 / 55 Dmg

In first phase it behaves similarly to normal mode, but in second phase it flaps its wings creating a wave of fire, damaging the player and dealing "on fire!" Debuff for 10 seconds.
It also attacks faster.

Owl's Wings, this time it allows flying/slow fall.
They would be fast but would only fly as far as angel wings.(5%)
Owl's eyes - accessory, permanent Hunter, Dangersense and Night Owls buffs (33%)
Owl's Egg - summons an owl pet (5%)
Owl's Staff - deals 48 magic damage,
fires brown, feather-shaped projectiles.
Uses 13 mana. (33%)
Predator's Sword - 54 melee damage (33%)
Use time: 9 ( very fast )
Not autoswung

Treasure Bag:
Purifying Staff- fires projectiles that purify their target
Uses 20 mana
Use time - slow

1) Player's bones will make a great nest.
2) Player's eyes were eaten by the Owler
3) The Owler's decided to take player's life
4) Player is a mess

Thanks for reading, hope you like it :happy:
feel free to post suggestions and new ideas.

@WasKilledBy_115 for the owl sprite
@Pinelord , @PulseFox and the rest of the community for ideas and suggestions
Thank You :D

Last edited:
Perhaps a few more details on the drops? Such as how long the wings last, velocity on the owl's staff, use time on the sword and is it auto swing? Also the boss seems like the eye of cthulhu a tad bit, what with the summoning of small and weaker versions of itself and needing to kill the smaller more common versions of it to summon it. I also don't see how owls just come out of it? Maybe in phase one it can fire feathers at you like harpies do and in phase two start laying eggs that spawn owls like in phase one and start charging at you. Also it needs an expert mode version with a treasure bag. I rate it 5/10, it could use a bit more work. Overall I like the idea though.

Thanks for the info!
I haven't thought of Eye of Cthulhu similarities...

EDIT:
Just wanted to mention that similarities between demon eyes and owls ARE intended - I wanted owls to be kind of hardmode daytime versions of the eyes. I still have to think about attacks though

Hmm maybe instead of owl's wing for making the boss summon, how about Owl Feather? Or maybe Owl's Wings could be made from 20 souls of flight and an owl feather?

1: I like it. Forest biome is basicly just a sanctuary from annoying mobs, so adding some hardmode stuff would be nice. 2: The name "Nature's Gift" is already taken by... you guessed it, Nature's Gift. (The flower acceosry from the jungle, 6% less mana usage i think its ability was) ~;).

You're still missing what the differences the boss has in expert mode. Also, "very fast" isn't a use time. How many frames does it take to swing the weapon? You should refer to the wiki for use time.

Very Fast indicates it swings every 9-20 frames.
(just read on wiki)

I still have to think about expert mode

Very Fast indicates it swings every 9-20 frames.
(just read on wiki)

I still have to think about expert mode
Well along with the obvious stat gains, maybe it could fly across the screen dropping exploding eggs, doing this and dropping eggs more often as it loses health?

I think this is nice so support! Probably the worlds worst pixel owl right here XD.
Owl.png
totally understand if you don't want to use it :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom