tModLoader Boss Expertise

Status
Not open for further replies.

gardenapple

Steampunker
Note: this thread has been merged into the "Vanilla Tweaks + other little tweak mods" thread.

Is Expert Mode too frustrating for you, but you still want a bit of a challenge? Do you think Normal Mode bosses are too boring?
Then this mod is probably for you! Boss Expertise makes bosses move and behave like in Expert Mode when you're in Normal Mode (without changing their stats). This works on bosses from other mods too!

Optional features:
  • Bosses drop Treasure Bags even in Normal mode (disabled by default).
  • Demon Heart now works in Normal Mode (disabled by default).
  • /expert command which toggles Expert mode in a world (enabled by default).
  • Button in the Cheat Sheet mod menu which does the same thing (enabled by default).
If you want to, you can disable the boss AI change as well (if you only want the commands/Treasure Bags but don't want harder bosses).
Enabling and disabling optional features:
Unfortunately you can't do it in-game just yet (because it's really hard to code in the current tModLoader version). So you'll have to do some text file editing instead. Sounds scary, I know, but here's a step-by-step guide:
  1. Download the mod and launch the game.
  2. Find the Terraria save folder (on Windows it's My Documents/My Games/Terraria)
  3. Go to Terraria/ModLoader/Mod Configs/Boss Expertise. Inside, you should see a file called config.json.
  4. Open it with any text editor
  5. The file should look like this:
    Code:
    {
      "DropTreasureBagsInNormal": false,
      "DemonHeartWorksInNormal": false,
      "ChangeBossAI": true,
      "AddCheatSheetButton": true,
      "AddExpertCommand": true
    }
  6. Change the value that you need to either "false" (to disable the feature) or "true" (to enable it).
  7. Either re-launch the game or go to Terraria's Main Menu -> Mods -> Reload Mods

Download: either from here or from the Mod Browser. The source code is readable using tModReader.
Latest version was built using tML v0.8.2.1
v2.3.2:
  • Fixed issues with multiplayer.
  • Reduced log spam when reading config files.
  • Added an easter egg.:)
v2.3.1:
  • Fixed /expert command.
v2.3:
  • The config file now uses the JSON format, just like the regular Terraria options (I'll update the guide on how to change config options soon).
    • The mod will automatically convert your old configs to the new format.
  • Added new optional feature: Demon Heart works in Normal Mode (@Raulzus).
  • The Cheat Sheet expert mode button now plays a sound when clicked and also shows a chat message.
  • The /expert command now has new text if you try to switch to Normal/Expert mode when the world is already in that mode.
v2.2:
  • Added Cheat Sheet mod integration
  • Added more config options: "Change boss AI", "Add /expert command" and "Add Cheat Sheet button".
    • They are all ENABLED by default, but you can disable them if you want to.
v2.1:
  • Renamed the config option to "Drop Treasure Bags".
v2.0:
  • Updated to tML v0.8
  • Added a config system. This means that I'll be able to add optional features, which can be enabled or disabled by players.
    • Currently the only config option is "Change mob drop rates to Expert" which allows bosses to drop Treasure Bags .
    • Instructions on how to change config options will be in the OP.
  • Implemented integration with the Cheat Sheet mod by @jopojelly: a button that allows you to switch between Expert and Normal mode. It's not usable yet because I'm waiting for his permission to add it, but the code is there and it works.
v1.0:
  • Initial release.

Last edited:
Honestly, ever since 1.3 came out, it's been expert mode all day, but, if I ever was to normal, I would probably get this mod, BECAUSE NORMAL MODE SUCK'S @%#

Can you have the option for treasure bags and extra accessory slot?

I like expert treasure and the slot boit could do without the huge damage you get hit with. Melee is pretty much not viable in expert due to huge damage increases unless you spend every second buffed

Can you have the option for treasure bags and extra accessory slot?

I like expert treasure and the slot boit could do without the huge damage you get hit with. Melee is pretty much not viable in expert due to huge damage increases unless you spend every second buffed
I'll make it a configurable option that you can turn on/off once tModLoader implements Mod Options.
Until then, the mod will stay as it is.

v2.0 (and v2.1) is done, with some really big changes!
  • Updated to tML v0.8
  • Added a config system. This means that I'll be able to add optional features, which can be enabled or disabled by players.
    • Currently the only config option is "Drop Treasure Bags" (@smeagolheart and @Durrani19 would like this).
    • Instructions on how to change config options will be in the OP.
  • Implemented integration with the Cheat Sheet mod by @jopojelly: a button that allows you to switch between Expert and Normal mode. It's not usable yet because I'm waiting for his permission to add it, but the code is there and it works.
  • /expert command is now case-sensitive.

Last edited:
v2.2 is done!
  • Added Cheat Sheet integration
  • Added more config options: "Change boss AI", "Add /expert command" and "Add Cheat Sheet button".
    • They are all ENABLED by default, but you can disable them if you want to.

So if i download this, enable it, and open my world. The bosses have changed? And another question, i have the Tremor mod on, do those bosses change the same?(AI and treasure bags but no extra stats)

So if i download this, enable it, and open my world. The bosses have changed? And another question, i have the Tremor mod on, do those bosses change the same?(AI and treasure bags but no extra stats)
The HP/damage won't change but the AI will (so for example the Eye of Cthulhu will dash at you even in Normal mode). Treasure Bags will only drop if you enable this in the config file (see "Enabling and disabling optional features" spoiler in the main post).
Modded bosses should hopefully work.

Seems like a neat little mod if I wanna do a Fisherman challenge and don't wanna get eff'd over every second

Holy crap this is exactly the mod I was looking for! I'm totally using this on my next Terraria playthrough.

how do you do you disable the boss ai change on mac?
If you can't find the Terraria folder, go to the main menu -> Mods -> Open Mods Folder which will lead you to Terraria/ModLoader/Mods. Now from there, you should be able to find Terraria/ModLoader/Mod Configs/BossExpertise.
Sorry for the late answer.

Hi, id like to know if the boss expertise mod is compatible with the bosses from the tremors remastered mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom