Game Mechanics Boss Loot Splosion

Snickerbobble

The Painter
It seems like every time I play multiplayer with people, there's always that one guy who tanks directly inside the boss right before it's about to die, to take all the loot, giving them first choice on a specific drop like the Picksaw. I think it would be better that instead, dropped loot should spread out across the screen rather than fall all on the same spot, so one person doesn't immediately get all the drops, but gives others a chance to snag what dropped.

This would work well on Expert Mode too, as everyone has a chance to get their treasure bag, not one person taking them all to open and go through what they want. - Nevermind that, treasure bags are client side.

Last edited:
It seems like every time I play multiplayer with people, there's always that one guy who tanks directly inside the boss right before it's about to die, to take all the loot, giving them first choice on a specific drop like the Picksaw. I think it would be better that instead, dropped loot should spread out across the screen rather than fall all on the same spot, so one person doesn't immediately get all the drops, but gives others a chance to snag what dropped.

This would work well on Expert Mode too, as everyone has a chance to get their treasure bag, not one person taking them all to open and go through what they want.
I have played a good deal of expert mode and i have NEVER had my bag stolen. It seems that you can only see your own specified drop. I think treasure bags should be in normal mode too (without expert loot) so everyone can have an equal amount of loot.

Bags are instanced. If you want a totally fair multiplayer drop system it might be best to go with Expert and grit your teeth through the extra difficulty- it means guaranteed safety for your drops.

as the long range ranger, this happens to me so often. I have to become the boss and make a "loot code" to facilitate equal loot spread

Protip: don't play with loot ninjas.
A loot explosion doesn't seem like it belongs to terraria, but maybe it's because we've grown used to it. Splitting the loot is always a good idea, just communicate with the people you're playing with and I'm sure you can get to an agreement to whom needs the items the most.

communicate with the people you're playing with and I'm sure you can get to an agreement to whom needs the items the most.
That's the problem though, a lot of people don't think like that. People will just hog it for themselves regardless and give everyone else silver coins and healing potions

Instanced drops would be great for normal then, too. Maybe have the bosses scale with players too, cuz you know.. they die in seconds with friends.

I still like the idea of loot being thrown all over the place. It's like how you defeat a boss, the gore pieces don't just fall straight down, but fling all over the place, like you just brutally destroyed it.

On expert you each get your own bag.
"But expert is too hard!"
If you can't beat expert bosses with 2 or more then that's just sad.

On expert you each get your own bag.
"But expert is too hard!"
If you can't beat expert bosses with 2 or more then that's just sad.
qNP5UDG.png
..talking for me? That is very rude.

I've went through all of expert mode and killed Moon Lord by myself :|

Anyway, I was talking about normal mode, not expert mode, there.

Srsly though, why would you play in multiplayer with people you don't know and "steal" the loots?

And not even in expert mode...

Then don't play multiplayer normal mode.

Issue solved.
But multiplayer is one of the funnest things in Terraria. If someone is trying to find a solution to one of the things that makes it less fun, which is loot stealing, then that would be an improvement.

Its like if you had a sputtery kitchen sink that makes a huge mess when you turn it up too high. The plumber isn't going to walk in and say "well just don't use the sink"

Then don't play multiplayer normal mode.

Issue solved.

Issue not solved, though. How can that be 'issue solved'?

It's like responding to the bug report "The game crashes on startup" with "Just don't play the game. Issue solved."

There's a problem with multiplayer loot and we've dealt with it until now. However, the devs have shown that instanced loot is possible. Why not implement that somehow, or at least consider using it?

No but "Issue solved." is a totally legitimate response to a suggestion.

I like this idea. Even if the loot is too close together when the boss dies and someone still picks it up, then there could be a system similar to Fallen Stars where they'd have to hit the ground before being able to get picked up. That would also help people who play less vertically.

I guess I could take it a step further and solve it by not playing Terraria? Because that makes as much sense as your solution.

Maybe I'm playing with some first time players. I want to play with them, but I also don't want them being frustrated with expert difficulty on bosses they don't know as much as me.
Issue not solved, though. How can that be 'issue solved'?

It's like responding to the bug report "The game crashes on startup" with "Just don't play the game. Issue solved."

There's a problem with multiplayer loot and we've dealt with it until now. However, the devs have shown that instanced loot is possible. Why not implement that somehow, or at least consider using it?

No but "Issue solved." is a totally legitimate response to a suggestion.
But multiplayer is one of the funnest things in Terraria. If someone is trying to find a solution to one of the things that makes it less fun, which is loot stealing, then that would be an improvement.

Its like if you had a sputtery kitchen sink that makes a huge mess when you turn it up too high. The plumber isn't going to walk in and say "well just don't use the sink"
The game is too easy to play on normal mode multiplayer anyway, it would be more like saying "My toaster doesn't work on it's highest setting anymore" The solution? Don't use it on it's highest setting, who likes burning their toast that much? (I never saw why people put settings over 5 on toasters)

Also, this is one more reward for playing on expert, I mean, all that expert gives you is 1 new accessory from each boss, some of which are really (REALLY) nice, but a lot of which are useless or don't feel like they are the appropriate reward *COUGH* MECH BOSSES *COUGH*.

So while, yes, you will have to kill the boss 10 times on normal to get everyone what they want, if you step up the difficulty you get more rewards and only have to kill the boss about 4-6 times.

The game is too easy to play on normal mode multiplayer anyway, it would be more like saying "My toaster doesn't work on it's highest setting anymore" The solution? Don't use it on it's highest setting, who likes burning their toast that much? (I never saw why people put settings over 5 on toasters)

Also, this is one more reward for playing on expert, I mean, all that expert gives you is 1 new accessory from each boss, some of which are really (REALLY) nice, but a lot of which are useless or don't feel like they are the appropriate reward *COUGH* MECH BOSSES *COUGH*.

So while, yes, you will have to kill the boss 10 times on normal to get everyone what they want, if you step up the difficulty you get more rewards and only have to kill the boss about 4-6 times.
The issue is the game doesn't adjust for multiplayer in normal mode. It does for expert, which is great. But not for normal. This leaves us with pathetically easy bosses or difficult ones. Why not normal bosses in normal and difficult ones in expert?

If the fifth setting isn't working right, you get a new toaster. I don't need a new Terraria if it can be updated, though.

Solution : Git gud and go on expert mode.
This:
Maybe I'm playing with some first time players. I want to play with them, but I also don't want them being frustrated with expert difficulty on bosses they don't know as much as me.

Do not tell other forum members that the "suck".
The "git gud" mentality on here is pretty cancerous.
I played with 2 new players on an expert world...

I still killed the EoC even though I died 3 times and they died 5 times each at least.

I'm not trying to brag about my skill, I'm stating a fact, everyone I know that plays this game can kill the EoC on expert with 2 friends regardless of their gear.
If you can't do that then you suck worse than my 6 year old nephew.

Back
Top Bottom