Game Mechanics Boss Trophies Give a Buff

stormconure

Duke Fishron
With the addition of Banner Buffs came a new section of my Frost Moon arena- a place to hang all the banners of the enemies I killed. The more banners I collected, the easier the event became. But I also noticed that the three bosses of the event- Everscream, Santank, and Elsa Ice Queen- don't have banners. Instead they drop their respective trophies. And I mean, that's cool and all, but there isn't a way to give a buff against these challenging enemies. So then I thought, the trophies are kind of a replacement for the banners- why not make them the buff item? That got me thinking- what if ALL boss trophies did that?

My suggestion is this: boss trophies have the same area-effect buff as banners, except it applies to the boss the trophy represents. However, to have it give the EXACT SAME buff would be a bit OP; correct me if I'm wrong, but from observation I have concluded that when under the effect of a banner, that enemy does half damage to you and takes twice the damage from your attacks. That kind of buff against a boss would be extremely unbalanced. So here is what I suggest: under the effect of a boss trophy, the respective boss does 25% less damage to you and takes 30% more damage from your attacks.

Note: if you are near a banner and a trophy at the same time, the displayed buff will act as if the trophy was just another banner, adding the boss's name to the list of enemies you have a buff against.

@ZemmySix- Separate Buff Icon for trophies (sprite for icon may come soon)
@GenericUsername- Trophies drop once every (insert balanced number here) boss kills, similarly to banners.
@Scironex- Trophies that give unique buffs similarly to the expert mode items can be crafted from normal trophies and materials aimilar to the boss itself.

That's about it. What do you think?

Last edited:
With the addition of Banner Buffs came a new section of my Frost Moon arena- a place to hang all the banners of the enemies I killed. The more banners I collected, the easier the event became. But I also noticed that the three bosses of the event- Everscream, Santank, and Elsa Ice Queen- don't have banners. Instead they drop their respective trophies. And I mean, that's cool and all, but there isn't a way to give a buff against these challenging enemies. So then I thought, the trophies are kind of a replacement for the banners- why not make them the buff item? That got me thinking- what if ALL boss trophies did that?

My suggestion is this: boss trophies have the same area-effect buff as banners, except it replies to the boss the trophy represents. However, to have it give the EXACT SAME buff would be a bit OP; correct me if I'm wrong, but from observation I have concluded that when under the effect of a banner, that enemy does half damage to you and takes twice the damage from your attacks. That kind of buff against a boss would be extremely unbalanced. So here is what I suggest: under the effect of a boss trophy, the respective boss does 25% less damage to you and takes 30% more damage from your attacks.

Note: if you are near a banner and a trophy at the same time, the displayed buff will act as if the trophy was just another banner, adding the boss's name to the list of enemies you have a buff against.

That's about it. What do you think?
This does sound pretty cool! Not sure they should appear as just another banner, though, a new buff icon would make more sense. And I'm no expert at balancing so I'll let others be the judge of that!

This does sound pretty cool! Not sure they should appear as just another banner, though, a new buff icon would make more sense. And I'm no expert at balancing so I'll let others be the judge of that!
Meh, I guess so, but I'm going to wait and see what others think about it before i make a change like that. I personally think having it be the same buff would be fine (and probably easier to code too:p)

I think drop rates of boss trophies outside the frost and pumpkin moon events (since those require you to kill the respective bosses after you reach wave 15, if I recall correctly) would have to be lowered, or changed so the trophies drop after a set number of boss kills like banners. Obviously, 50 boss kills is rather excessive, but perhaps a fixed number around 5-20 kills would be reasonable. Besides events, I see this mostly being helpful with plantera (farming for The Axe) and the moon lord (for luminite), although it's rather difficult to stay in one place for the moon lord battle.

I think drop rates of boss trophies outside the frost and pumpkin moon events (since those require you to kill the respective bosses after you reach wave 15, if I recall correctly) would have to be lowered, or changed so the trophies drop after a set number of boss kills like banners. Obviously, 50 boss kills is rather excessive, but perhaps a fixed number around 5-20 kills would be reasonable. Besides events, I see this mostly being helpful with plantera (farming for The Axe) and the moon lord (for luminite), although it's rather difficult to stay in one place for the moon lord battle.
Adding a fixed drop rate is an ok idea, though some people like trophies because it makes them able to say they have "conquered RNG" in a way. I will consider it though, thanks :D

Personally, I would vouch for each trophy giving a unique buff (Like the FQ trophy giving you the Frost Armor effect), or an AoE type thing, (Like the Plantera Trophy making damaging spores fall from the ceiling), but I also like this idea.

Personally, I would vouch for each trophy giving a unique buff (Like the FQ trophy giving you the Frost Armor effect), or an AoE type thing, (Like the Plantera Trophy making damaging spores fall from the ceiling), but I also like this idea.
Some interesting ideas here. Again, will consider.

Know what, I'm gonna make a spoiler for all the cool stuff people have suggested so far. I imagine there are more ideas for this out there and they must be recognized.

Actually, you could make the generic buffs a property of normal trophies, then have some sort of special trophy (Gold trophy or whatever) give unique effects.

Actually, you could make the generic buffs a property of normal trophies, then have some sort of special trophy (Gold trophy or whatever) give unique effects.
Hmm... Craft a normal trophy with set materials to get a special trophy... This is going somewhere. Thanks.

According to the wiki, the buff from banners is +50% damage dealt, -25% damage taken.
So this should probably be half that at most. Maybe even less.

I can get behind either buff. Either the original banner buff or the unique buff based on the boss. The unique buff would be cooler though, it would also be applicable for everything, as opposed to only applying to the boss. (unless I am misunderstanding that post) So, you're like drawing power from the corpses of defeated foes ;)

Back
Top Bottom