NPCs & Enemies Boss Upgrades

SnailsAttack

Dungeon Spirit
INTRODUCTION

These are some new ideas I thought up that would be used only on worlds with 1.3's new 'Insane' difficulty.

The Eye of Cthulhu

The Eye of Cthulu is very easy boss for. It can easily be defeated with a gem staff or higher tier bow. The debuff I'm giving it is one called 'Owl Eyed', named so for the fact that owls can not move their eyes. (only their heads.). This debuff basically causes the player's screen to be stuck in place, instead of following the player. It is inflicted with a 1/3 chance when they touch the EoC.

The Brain of Cthulhu

The Brain of Cthulu is fairly difficult earlier on, but you can get meteorite and jungle armor before it, making it not much of a challenge. However, instead of giving a debuff to the BoC itself, I am instead giving it to the Creepers, which are sort of boring in functionality. I am giving them a debuff called 'Seizure' which lasts 2 seconds, and cause the player's screen to shake very dramatically for 3 seconds, and will change the player's direction every once a second. Sometimes it even jolts the camera off screen. It is caused simply on contact with a Creeper with a 1/5 chance.

The Eater Of Worlds
Eater_of_Worlds.png

The Eater of Worlds is a fun boss to defeat, though it is easy to avoid. Along with a new debuff, I wish to modify the EoW so that it is very accurate. The debuff that I am creating for the EoW is called 'Rotting'. 'Rotting' is a debuff caused when the player makes contact with the head of the EoW, or one of the heads that the player creates at a 1/2 chance. The 'Rotting' debuff turns the player's screen a green-brown tint and causes 3 damage every second for 4 seconds, dealing a total of 12 damage. It also slices defense in half for 8 seconds.

The Queen Bee
Queen_Bee.png

The Queen bee is one of my favorite bosses, next to the King Slime. :3 But the thing about the Queen Bee is that it is repetetive and somewhat boring. That is why I am giving the debuff 'Swarmed!'. This debuff causes a thick swarm of bees to swirl around the player, doing 1 damage every second and causing the poisoned debuff. It lasts 3 seconds, and is inflicted upon contact with the queen bee.

Skeletron

Skeletron is a difficult boss, and its attacks are less repetetive than those of other bosses, but I think that it still needs a debuff. This debuff will be called 'Broken Bones' this debuff does 5 damage a second for 3 seconds, and makes them 2x slower. It causes a loud cracking noise upon getting the debuff, but stops after that, and turns the edges of the screen red. It is given upon contact with skeleton's hands at a 1/2 chance.
The King Slime

The king slime is my favorite boss, and it always has been. But I feel that it does not need a debuff, and instead needs a new function. The function I am giving it is the ability 'swallow' the player, and having them float around near the ninja. When you are inside the slime, you will be delt 10 damage a second, and it will spit you out after 5 seconds, dealing a total of 50 damage or more. This happens only when the king slime jumps and lands on you.
The Wall of Flesh

The last and most difficult pre-hardmode boss of all, the Wall of Flesh is a scary boss, especially when you fall behind or are stopped by an obstacle such as a building. Thus being so, I am giving the WoF a debuff to acct in sync with that. Whenever the player touches a leach or a hungry, they will get the 'Slimed!' debuff. This debuff makes the player 3 times slower doing everything, and the player cannot jump or walk up a block. I feel that it well fits the scary theme of how the WoF can get dangerously close to the player.

The Destroyer

The Destroyer is usually known to be the easiest of the 3 mechanical bosses, as damage can be done in massive amounts if the player has a good piercing weapon (EG Magic Harp, Shadow Arrows). The Destroyer's new debuff is similar to the wall of flesh's tongue. When the player touches the Destroyer's head, they will be caught in its mouth and will be dragged undergorund with it. this will cause suffocation damage, and the player will only be realeased when the worm makes its re-entry above ground. Of course to avoid further problems, lets make it so that the worm automatically starts looping back up when it catches the players in its jaws.

Skeletron Prime

Skeletron Prime and The Twins are close together in difficuly, but they both need some changes. I'm giving Skeletron Prime a new attack! In this attack, Skeletron Prime's 'arms' will begin to swirl around his head like a whirlwind, and anything that touches him during this time will be knocked back an insane distance, like throwing a rock in a lawnmower! (I'm not that smart :3) Any arrows,bullets, or magic projectiles will be launched backwards, and any melee weapons the player manages to hit skeletron with will be dropped and flung back. Very little damage can be felt during the 4 second period that this attack lasts.

The Twins

As the final boss I'm giving an addition to, the Twins are a boss worth a good change. This addition is that every 20 seconds, one twin will fire a laser at the player that is the length of its retina, about 3.5 blocks thick, and the player will be teleported right in front of the other twin with a flash of light. (the laser and flash represent each twins retina color). The player can avoid teleportation if they can avoid the laser, although it is very thick.

EPILOGUE

If you enjoyed, please leave a comment, like, opinion, or even sprite if you want! ;)

Here are some of my other threads that you might enjoy!

The Celestial Paintbrush
Force Shields
Flashlights and Beamlights
Better Environmental Hazards
Earlymode Weapon Diversity
Starfruits
Graviton Crystal

Last edited:
I don't think that the bosses need a buff, especially the mechanical ones. King slime is a miniboss, he's not meant to be especially hard. The EoC is MEANT to be easy. It's the first boss you ever fight. The BoC is fine as it is, as is the EoW. The EoW is plenty dangerous if he gets you cornered or does a pretzel loop around you, same with the Destroyer. The twins... don't even get me started on them. They're hard enough. Giving skeletron prime that attack would make him take longer, and if you bring him into daytime he will murder you like a dungeon guardian. The list could go on. What I'm basically saying is that the bosses aren't meant to be hard, they're meant to be a challenge.

All bosses are okay as they are - those who've played the game for a while will find every boss easy, given enough fights against them - I find Fishron and the Mechs to be mostly jokes, Golem a pushover, and Plantera is only amusing when fought in the surface or hell.

As such, the bosses don't need any sort of buffs. Their difficulty is fine as is, and adding annoyances to them won't raise their difficulty, just the chances a given player sees this game as one that tries to substitute difficulty for gimmicks (which it already does, quite a bit, through random drops) and decides it's not worth their time.

I don't think that the bosses need a buff, especially the mechanical ones. King slime is a miniboss, he's not meant to be especially hard. The EoC is MEANT to be easy. It's the first boss you ever fight. The BoC is fine as it is, as is the EoW. The EoW is plenty dangerous if he gets you cornered or does a pretzel loop around you, same with the Destroyer. The twins... don't even get me started on them. They're hard enough. Giving skeletron prime that attack would make him take longer, and if you bring him into daytime he will murder you like a dungeon guardian. The list could go on. What I'm basically saying is that the bosses aren't meant to be hard, they're meant to be a challenge.
yes but some people like my self want more of a challenge not a boss with a large amount of health that you can just pretty much dodge untill its dead.

yes but some people like my self want more of a challenge not a boss with a large amount of health that you can just pretty much dodge untill its dead.

- Modding
- Undergearing
- Fighting without arenas

Those are three ways in which bosses can be made more challenging, without punishing players who are playing the game for the first time. There may be more ways to achieve the desired "challenge." (My favorite is playing other games, though.)

- Modding
- Undergearing
- Fighting without arenas

Those are three ways in which bosses can be made more challenging, without punishing players who are playing the game for the first time. There may be more ways to achieve the desired "challenge." (My favorite is playing other games, though.)
i was thinking this would be added as an additional option like the 1.3 expert mode

As a note to all, these are meant to be additions to the bosses. Most of them hardly affect gameplay, and I doubt any of these will make it boss battles much more difficult.

All of them seem ok, if not annoying. The only one that looks like it could be a problem is the destroyers. Considering the destroyer chases you, where does it go when you're in its mouth on a single player world? Down to hell? If so, then you'll more than likely end up coming out inside of a small cave and that would make your fight way harder than it needs to be. If it's resurfacing, how long until it does that? Suffocation damage can quickly build up if you're down there for an extended period of time.

No offense, but most of these are unnecessary. For example, most of us here are pretty experienced and can handle the Eye of Cthulhu easily (well, not all, I haven't played in 2 years :p). But what about the new players? The Owl Eye debuff seems... cruel for the earliest boss in the game. And honestly, giving every single boss a debuff could be a bit repetitive considering that every boss should have a different attack style, and even if the debuffs are different, most bosses will have one and that could become repetitive.

Besides, as others said, these could be annoying. Suffocation from the Destroyer? Wow. Oh, and the Seizure debuff is pretty bad subject matter. And one more thing, How can Queen Bee's debuff give you a different debuff? I dunno, it'd be weird. I do like the King Slime attack though.

All of them seem ok, if not annoying. The only one that looks like it could be a problem is the destroyers. Considering the destroyer chases you, where does it go when you're in its mouth on a single player world? Down to hell? If so, then you'll more than likely end up coming out inside of a small cave and that would make your fight way harder than it needs to be. If it's resurfacing, how long until it does that? Suffocation damage can quickly build up if you're down there for an extended period of time.

Thought I changed this earlier, but fixed! :p
[DOUBLEPOST=1424812855][/DOUBLEPOST]
No offense, but most of these are unnecessary. For example, most of us here are pretty experienced and can handle the Eye of Cthulhu easily (well, not all, I haven't played in 2 years :p). But what about the new players? The Owl Eye debuff seems... cruel for the earliest boss in the game. And honestly, giving every single boss a debuff could be a bit repetitive considering that every boss should have a different attack style, and even if the debuffs are different, most bosses will have one and that could become repetitive.

Besides, as others said, these could be annoying. Suffocation from the Destroyer? Wow. Oh, and the Seizure debuff is pretty bad subject matter. And one more thing, How can Queen Bee's debuff give you a different debuff? I dunno, it'd be weird. I do like the King Slime attack though.

I didn't really think freezing the screen was to difficult to deal with, especially since its only dangerous if you run all the way offscreen before it ends. Also, the boss debuff isn't really that repetitive. :l
Suffocation from the destroyer? Didn't you read the rest? I thought it was a cool idea. :L
And seizures... ehghhm... yeah. And what do you mean about the Queen Bee? Touching the queen bee gives you a debuff, and the queen bee doesn't have a debuff.

Thought I changed this earlier, but fixed! :p
[DOUBLEPOST=1424812855][/DOUBLEPOST]

I didn't really think freezing the screen was to difficult to deal with, especially since its only dangerous if you run all the way offscreen before it ends. Also, the boss debuff isn't really that repetitive. :l
Suffocation from the destroyer? Didn't you read the rest? I thought it was a cool idea. :L
And seizures... ehghhm... yeah. And what do you mean about the Queen Bee? Touching the queen bee gives you a debuff, and the queen bee doesn't have a debuff.
Okay, that was just my opinion, and I did not read the part about the Destroyer, sorry. But what if you use the Mechanical Worm underground? And what I meant about the Queen Bee is that the debuff she inflicts gives you a different debuff (Swarmed inflicting Poison), where you could have just combined the two effects (3 damage per second).

Okay, that was just my opinion, and I did not read the part about the Destroyer, sorry. But what if you use the Mechanical Worm underground? And what I meant about the Queen Bee is that the debuff she inflicts gives you a different debuff (Swarmed inflicting Poison), where you could have just combined the two effects (3 damage per second).

Um... idk about that worm thing, and I didn't know that the queen inflicted poison.

This looks nice, but this would be kind of annoying.
Maybe for that extreme mode thing they're doing, this would work. :dryadsmile:
I don't know, this seems kind of extreme to add to the originals.
Especially slowing the player and removing jumping if you get hit. Agh, that would be annoying.

Back
Top Bottom