Story Boundless Light: The Tale of Celestia

Scarlet Hunter

Retinazer
Horus here!
Some of you may remember Celestia's Destiny, my old Terraria story. My heart was in the right place, but the story wasn't.
My plot was going to have me jumping all over the place, with a cast of two dozen main characters and an epic conclusion. It wasn't going to work, and I soon lost interest.

However, I still had tons of ideas, and I wasn't willing to toss Celestia out just yet.

So, I present to you, Boundless Light! A new story that focuses on the struggle of Light against the Darkness, starring our own Celestia!

Thanks to everyone who supported my old series; it's really helped motivate me to do this one.

Click here to go to the Discord server centering around this story!
Now, without further ado, I present...

BOUNDLESS LIGHT

She stands atop the ridge, staring out over the abyss.
What once was a peaceful valley is now a center of horror and chaos like nothing she has ever seen.
Below lies a wasteland, a void, an endless realm of nightmares. She stands above it all, a beacon of shining light.
The maw calls to her, hungering to devour the last vestiges of its hated enemy.

She is battle-worn. Her armor is in tatters, and she holds the remnants of a shattered sword. Her eyes are like steel.
Below her, the Darkness screams. She screams back, and it reverberates through the entire valley. Silence falls over the hordes below.

And then she jumps.
Into the void.
Into the evil without end.

Into the Darkness.

In the beginning, there were three. Light and Darkness in eternal opposition, and Chaos, neither of them, yet both at the same time. And they formed this world, and created their children, a myriad of races. And they assumed forms and walked among them, until such time as Light convinced her siblings to leave. And she and Darkness did. But Chaos refused, instead choosing to slumber deep beneath the sea. And there was harmony.
The first thing I see when I open my eyes is sunlight, harsh and bright. I blink to adjust my eyes, and try to get my bearings. I am in... a field? Raised ground surrounds it on all sides. So, a valley, then. I get to my feet. Why am I here? The memories are hazy. Last night.... running away from zombies. That was it.

I am hit by a fresh pang of loss. My house is gone. I worked for years to get that stupid junk heap renovated, and now the hordes have taken it from me. Will this nightmare ever end? I can still see in my mind's eye that fateful night, almost eight years ago now.

But that's the past. And if I want to survive, I'm going to need to look forward. This valley isn't a bad place to settle. Low-lying, secluded by the looks of it, and I didn't get attacked by anything after I stumbled in and fell into an exhausted stupor. Hiding is the only way anyone survives anymore, ever since the last towns fell. It's been years since I've even seen signs of civilization (though there are plenty of ruins). I've only caught glimpses of people, and we mostly stay apart. Groups draw attention. And not the good kind.

But that's enough thinking. It's time for action. From the look of it, it's late morning. Afternoon is coming soon. Then night. By that time, I want to have some kind of shelter. For that, I'll need trees. I only managed to snag some of my equipment as I fled my house last night. My store includes an old, beaten-up copper axe, a handful of throwing knives, a gleaming copper shortsword, and... an umbrella? Could be useful when it rains, I guess.

The valley is rather large (enough to fit a small town, I'd wager), but there are no trees. I will have to search the nearby ground. I climb up the steep hill leading out of the area and find myself surrounded by trees. A forest, with the valley acting as a clearing. Perfect for my purposes. I begin chopping down trees, taking care not to disturb the slimes hopping around. They are only aggressive when the sun vanishes and night falls, but they are still acidic and I don't want to carelessly lose a hand by trying to stab one with a shortsword.

I notice a larger slime, a bluish one, hopping towards me. I hasten to move out of its way.
It hops in my direction. Crap. It's chasing me. This isn't right. I brandish my shortsword, aware that I am probably going to die. To a slime.

Eight years of fleeing zombies and flying eyes and the horrors that come out during Blood Moons. Eight years! EIGHT! Fury builds within me. It can't end here! IT WON'T! I scream a guttural cry and charge the slime. Something inside me unlocks. I feel power surge through my body. Then, the twang of a bow.

The slime lurches back, an arrow slowly melting inside it. Residual goo falls off of the wound as another arrow hits it. As the third makes its mark, the slime wobbles and falls apart completely. I turn around to see someone standing behind me, a young man with brown hair wielding a wooden longbow.

He's about my age, I think, and the thought makes me giddy for a second. Then, I pull myself back to reality. Groups draw attention. I have lived so long because I work alone. I look up to see he's walked over to me, and I recoil.

"Calm down," he says slowly. "I'm not going to hurt you. My name's Seth."
"Celestia," I respond.
"Nice to meet you, Celestia. We need to go. Nowhere's safe anymore."
"Why did that slime attack me?"
Seth's looking at me with concern now, and I realize his eyes are a beautiful shade of blue.
"I don't know, but they're all getting aggressive. Do you have shelter nearby?"
"Uh... no," I stammer, then explain my condition.
"Same thing happened to me," he responds. "I've been sleeping in trees. This valley plan sounds good, though."

And with that, he pulls out an axe in only slightly better condition then mine and helps me cut down some trees. The two of us work side by side without talking, though I keep glancing over at him. Even eight years of fleeing peril with very limited social interaction haven't jaded me. I like Seth. I just wonder what his motives are.

I've seen many survivors who seek to steal from others. I can only hope Seth isn't one of them. With a number of trees felled, we begin ferrying lumber back to the valley. Now that the hardest part of the labor is done, Seth and I talk about our lives. His village fell a few years back during a Blood Moon. Everyone scattered, and he hasn't seen them since. I can't bring myself to tell him about what happened to Laurel, my old town. Maybe someday I will, when I get to know him better...

Stop, I tell myself. This won't last. It never does. People don't stick together anymore. But every word I share with Seth seems to bind me closer to him. I would never have thought that my years of solitude would be toppled so easily by one person.

By nighttime, we have assembled a makeshift house. Seth has a blanket, which he insists I take. I know he won't back down on the issue, so I take it and lie down on the hard floor, drifting into a restless sleep.

Suddenly, I am jolted awake by the sound of something slapping against the roof.

We've been found.

There were five islands floating in a vast sea, and these islands were all their inhabitants knew.
Alon was the biggest, home of the humans. They spread their kingdom far and wide, mostly at peace with the others.
Farel was much smaller, home to the goblins. They scraped out an existence in a dry climate with little shelter.
Everlund was an archipelago, a string of four minuscule islands home to battle-hardened pirates.
Mithlinde was the home of the elves, who lived close in harmony with nature.
Savlun, the final island, was one of unnatural evil, where horrible secrets lay deep within the soil.

The islands still exist, in various states of decay. And Mithlinde is the one where the Darkness will be vanquished.

I rush out of the house to find it surrounded by...

"Slimes?" I say. I laugh. "There are slimes dropping out of the sky?"

The slimes don't seem interested in hurting us. They just hop around happily, as if in celebration of something.

Seth looks over at me. "Um... what?" he asks with no particular recipient.
"They're cute," I reply, poking one with a stick. It ignores me and continues hopping away. Now that I look at them, I see they're all hopping towards one side of the clearing and into the forest.

Suddenly, the ground trembles for a moment. Then again. And again. Over and over, rhythmically, methodically. Seth's the first to hear it. The dull thwack of jelly against hard dirt, the creaking of trees as something moves around and through them. The sound gets louder, the trembling more extreme, until we finally see the source.

A massive slime explodes from the forest, bounding into the clearing. It is surrounded by the slimes falling from the sky; they jubilantly bounce around it. I take a closer look at it. It's a deep blue, it wears a gold crown with a ruby on top of its girth, and deep inside of it, I can almost make out the outline of a person. But that's impossible. It would have corroded by now for sure.

My thoughts are interrupted when it pulls itself inward, gathering force, and then springs into the air. It's almost majestic for a moment, as it glides effortlessly through the air. I am so transfixed I hardly even realize it landed in front of me until Seth shouts my name. I spin around to see him already running, and I am about to do the same when the sun is blocked out. I look up, hardly daring to breathe, at a mass of blue above me.

I only have time to draw one final breath before the king of all slimes lands on me.

The gel slides around my body, and I find myself mostly unharmed. I try moving my arms and legs, but it's difficult. I am moving, ever so slowly, towards the center, where the humanoid shape is. All of these convulsions must be doing it. My lungs begin to burn as I continue to hold my breath. I can see Seth outside of the slime, my vision distorted by the gel. He is firing arrows into the slime around me. A valiant effort, to be sure, but fruitless.

My vision begins to swim as the last air of my breath vanishes. I feel power welling up inside me again, the same as I felt earlier, but then it slips away. I feel helpless like never before. I find myself floating next to the person in the slime. Only there's no one there. Just a suit of rusty armor. My final breath escapes my body, and everything fades to black.

"CELESTIA!"

I snap awake. Seth stands over me.

"You're okay," he sighs. "I thought..." he backs away, breathing deeply. He looks on the verge of tears.
"Hey," I say, getting up slowly. "It's fine."

And it's true. Aside from some minor bruises, I'm okay. However, I am absolutely soaked in blue slime. I look around and see this whole area is covered in it.

"What happened?" I ask.
"I don't know," he replies. "One second, everything was normal. The next.... well, a massive vine whipped out of the ground and slashed the slime into pieces. It was insane."
"A vine? Really?"
"Yeah, I am being serious. It saved your life. I... I should have been the one to do it. I should have been stronger."
Does he actually blame himself for this? "Listen, you couldn't have done anything. I shouldn't have let it get me."

He looks away. "Don't ever do that to me again."
I smile. "I'll try. Now, let's get back to the house. I need to change."

Last edited:
Okay, everyone! Super sorry about the delay; I got slapped with a ton of work and life got in the way. However, I have gotten out Chapter 1 and hope to get some more to you soon!

Enjoy!

In the beginning, there were three. Light and Darkness in eternal opposition, and Chaos, neither of them, yet both at the same time. And they formed this world, and created their children, a myriad of races. And they assumed forms and walked among them, until such time as Light convinced her siblings to leave. And she and Darkness did. But Chaos refused, instead choosing to slumber deep beneath the sea. And there was harmony.

The first thing I see when I open my eyes is sunlight, harsh and bright. I blink to adjust my eyes, and try to get my bearings. I am in... a field? Raised ground surrounds it on all sides. So, a valley, then. I get to my feet. Why am I here? The memories are hazy. Last night.... running away from zombies. That was it.

I am hit by a fresh pang of loss. My house is gone. I worked for years to get that stupid junk heap renovated, and now the hordes have taken it from me. Will this nightmare ever end? I can still see in my mind's eye that fateful night, almost eight years ago now.

But that's the past. And if I want to survive, I'm going to need to look forward. This valley isn't a bad place to settle. Low-lying, secluded by the looks of it, and I didn't get attacked by anything after I stumbled in and fell into an exhausted stupor. Hiding is the only way anyone survives anymore, ever since the last towns fell. It's been years since I've even seen signs of civilization (though there are plenty of ruins). I've only caught glimpses of people, and we mostly stay apart. Groups draw attention. And not the good kind.

But that's enough thinking. It's time for action. From the look of it, it's late morning. Afternoon is coming soon. Then night. By that time, I want to have some kind of shelter. For that, I'll need trees. I only managed to snag some of my equipment as I fled my house last night. My store includes an old, beaten-up copper axe, a handful of throwing knives, a gleaming copper shortsword, and... an umbrella? Could be useful when it rains, I guess.

The valley is rather large (enough to fit a small town, I'd wager), but there are no trees. I will have to search the nearby ground. I climb up the steep hill leading out of the area and find myself surrounded by trees. A forest, with the valley acting as a clearing. Perfect for my purposes. I begin chopping down trees, taking care not to disturb the slimes hopping around. They are only aggressive when the sun vanishes and night falls, but they are still acidic and I don't want to carelessly lose a hand by trying to stab one with a shortsword.

I notice a larger slime, a bluish one, hopping towards me. I hasten to move out of its way.
It hops in my direction. Crap. It's chasing me. This isn't right. I brandish my shortsword, aware that I am probably going to die. To a slime.

Eight years of fleeing zombies and flying eyes and the horrors that come out during Blood Moons. Eight years! EIGHT! Fury builds within me. It can't end here! IT WON'T! I scream a guttural cry and charge the slime. Something inside me unlocks. I feel power surge through my body. Then, the twang of a bow.

The slime lurches back, an arrow slowly melting inside it. Residual goo falls off of the wound as another arrow hits it. As the third makes its mark, the slime wobbles and falls apart completely. I turn around to see someone standing behind me, a young man with brown hair wielding a wooden longbow.

He's about my age, I think, and the thought makes me giddy for a second. Then, I pull myself back to reality. Groups draw attention. I have lived so long because I work alone. I look up to see he's walked over to me, and I recoil.

"Calm down," he says slowly. "I'm not going to hurt you. My name's Seth."
"Celestia," I respond.
"Nice to meet you, Celestia. We need to go. Nowhere's safe anymore."
"Why did that slime attack me?"
Seth's looking at me with concern now, and I realize his eyes are a beautiful shade of blue.
"I don't know, but they're all getting aggressive. Do you have shelter nearby?"
"Uh... no," I stammer, then explain my condition.
"Same thing happened to me," he responds. "I've been sleeping in trees. This valley plan sounds good, though."

And with that, he pulls out an axe in only slightly better condition then mine and helps me cut down some trees. The two of us work side by side without talking, though I keep glancing over at him. Even eight years of fleeing peril with very limited social interaction haven't jaded me. I like Seth. I just wonder what his motives are.

I've seen many survivors who seek to steal from others. I can only hope Seth isn't one of them. With a number of trees felled, we begin ferrying lumber back to the valley. Now that the hardest part of the labor is done, Seth and I talk about our lives. His village fell a few years back during a Blood Moon. Everyone scattered, and he hasn't seen them since. I can't bring myself to tell him about what happened to Laurel, my old town. Maybe someday I will, when I get to know him better...

Stop, I tell myself. This won't last. It never does. People don't stick together anymore. But every word I share with Seth seems to bind me closer to him. I would never have thought that my years of solitude would be toppled so easily by one person.

By nighttime, we have assembled a makeshift house. Seth has a blanket, which he insists I take. I know he won't back down on the issue, so I take it and lie down on the hard floor, drifting into a restless sleep.

Suddenly, I am jolted awake by the sound of something slapping against the roof.

We've been found.

Last edited:
Boy/Girl, it's just the first chapter and i already think this story will be great. You're going places with this, good luck. :D
(By the way i just received a full shipment of fancy clothes, wanna take a look? xd)

Okay, folks, once again I am coming in late with another chapter of Boundless Light!
I am going to tag everyone who has expressed interest in this so far because notifications are screwy when posts are dead for a long time. If you want to keep receiving notifications, let me know!

There were five islands floating in a vast sea, and these islands were all their inhabitants knew.
Alon was the biggest, home of the humans. They spread their kingdom far and wide, mostly at peace with the others.
Farel was much smaller, home to the goblins. They scraped out an existence in a dry climate with little shelter.
Everlund was an archipelago, a string of four minuscule islands home to battle-hardened pirates.
Mithlinde was the home of the elves, who lived close in harmony with nature.
Savlun, the final island, was one of unnatural evil, where horrible secrets lay deep within the soil.

The islands still exist, in various states of decay. And Mithlinde is the one where the Darkness will be vanquished.

I rush out of the house to find it surrounded by...

"Slimes?" I say. I laugh. "There are slimes dropping out of the sky?"

The slimes don't seem interested in hurting us. They just hop around happily, as if in celebration of something.

Seth looks over at me. "Um... what?" he asks with no particular recipient.
"They're cute," I reply, poking one with a stick. It ignores me and continues hopping away. Now that I look at them, I see they're all hopping towards one side of the clearing and into the forest.

Suddenly, the ground trembles for a moment. Then again. And again. Over and over, rhythmically, methodically. Seth's the first to hear it. The dull thwack of jelly against hard dirt, the creaking of trees as something moves around and through them. The sound gets louder, the trembling more extreme, until we finally see the source.

A massive slime explodes from the forest, bounding into the clearing. It is surrounded by the slimes falling from the sky; they jubilantly bounce around it. I take a closer look at it. It's a deep blue, it wears a gold crown with a ruby on top of its girth, and deep inside of it, I can almost make out the outline of a person. But that's impossible. It would have corroded by now for sure.

My thoughts are interrupted when it pulls itself inward, gathering force, and then springs into the air. It's almost majestic for a moment, as it glides effortlessly through the air. I am so transfixed I hardly even realize it landed in front of me until Seth shouts my name. I spin around to see him already running, and I am about to do the same when the sun is blocked out. I look up, hardly daring to breathe, at a mass of blue above me.

I only have time to draw one final breath before the king of all slimes lands on me.

The gel slides around my body, and I find myself mostly unharmed. I try moving my arms and legs, but it's difficult. I am moving, ever so slowly, towards the center, where the humanoid shape is. All of these convulsions must be doing it. My lungs begin to burn as I continue to hold my breath. I can see Seth outside of the slime, my vision distorted by the gel. He is firing arrows into the slime around me. A valiant effort, to be sure, but fruitless.

My vision begins to swim as the last air of my breath vanishes. I feel power welling up inside me again, the same as I felt earlier, but then it slips away. I feel helpless like never before. I find myself floating next to the person in the slime. Only there's no one there. Just a suit of rusty armor. My final breath escapes my body, and everything fades to black.

"CELESTIA!"

I snap awake. Seth stands over me.

"You're okay," he sighs. "I thought..." he backs away, breathing deeply. He looks on the verge of tears.
"Hey," I say, getting up slowly. "It's fine."

And it's true. Aside from some minor bruises, I'm okay. However, I am absolutely soaked in blue slime. I look around and see this whole area is covered in it.

"What happened?" I ask.
"I don't know," he replies. "One second, everything was normal. The next.... well, a massive vine whipped out of the ground and slashed the slime into pieces. It was insane."
"A vine? Really?"
"Yeah, I am being serious. It saved your life. I... I should have been the one to do it. I should have been stronger."
Does he actually blame himself for this? "Listen, you couldn't have done anything. I shouldn't have let it get me."

He looks away. "Don't ever do that to me again."
I smile. "I'll try. Now, let's get back to the house. I need to change."

@The original clothier, @SilentStorm., @Drake katchadorian, @ninjakai03, @LambKnight

Also, a quick reminder.
I have a Discord server right here!

It is completely dead right now, so feel free to join if you want to be a part of the ongoing story.

So slimes are acidic are they...:joy:<- this guy is the only acidic one out of us slimes! %:sigh:
Us NON ACIDIC slimes only harden and crush people when thy attack us! WE DON'T MELT THEM! Such a common misconception... *sigh*
(This is a joke so please don't hate me for it.:dryadgrin::pinky::kingslime:)

Well, I got bored.
So I decided to try to draw the entirety of the Prologue.
upload_2019-2-6_17-42-45.png

Back
Top Bottom