PC Bring back the old banner mechanics!

Should they bring back old banner mechanics?

• Yes!

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • No.

Votes: 24 70.6%
  • Only for rare mobs

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

James Harrow

Queen Bee
I've seen this around. Some people have complained about the new banner mechanic. Its only good for some mobs. Examples include most slimes, zombies, dungeon monsters, and demon eyes.
But then there is the other side. All the rare mobs that have been introduced, given banners, or already have banners have been made so much harder to get, now that 1.3 is out.
A new guy in town called the White Cultist Archer was introduced with and insanely low chance to spawn with dungeon cultists. With his 1/1000 chance to spawn you would have to go through the cultists 50000 times to have a 100% chance of finding this.
And thats not half of it.
For all the rare mobs, the Paladin, Pinky, Tim, the Rune Wizard, Moths, The New White Cultist Archer, and of course, the Infamous Nymph.
How the heck are we supposed to get their banners? These would require countless hours of grinding (not that half the items in the game require this) and insane patience.
Most people don't have that kind of time to go off and kill the cultists 50000 times. Or actually, nobody does.
My suggestion is that they still keep the 50-kill banner thing, but also bring back the 1/200 drop chance of the banner for the mobs at the same time. Or just reduce some of the drop chances of the banners for the rare mobs.
So for the love of all terrarians, and this guy that hardly anyone has seen:
White_Cultist_Archer.png

Please support.
EDIT: I changed my mind, I suggest they bring this back only for the rare mobs instead of the common ones.

Last edited:
Yeah I think it's a good idea to have the 100% after each 50 kills but ALSO have the random chance :)
Support

I don't support this for the simple reason that Banners now provide buffs. The point of having a banner after 50 kills sort of indicates you have triumphed over that monster and actually deserve the buff. Potentially getting a banner on the first kill disregards that principle.

Also, the chance of a banner before that 50th kill is 1 - ((199/200)^49) x 100% = 22%. So it's far more likely that your first banner will be the 50th kill one, and that the banners that come from the random drop chance will just clutter up your inventory (there are already complains that one banner every 50th kill is too much, not that I agree with that but we have to consider everyone here).

I'm curious why they make white archers only, not devotes too. I want some variety. And why they make this guy so rare? I cannot understand. Hybrid banner mechanics for rare creatures seems not that bad (only for them, for common or semi-rare I will just stay with new mechanics). Devs should change Cultists to something like that:

Chance to spawn White (Solar) Cultists (Devotes and Archers, with recolored Mysterious Tablet) - 1/10 [10%]
Chance to spawn Blue (Lunatic) Cultists (Devotes and Archers) - 9/10 [90%]

The new mechanics are fine. At least now, the messed up way people assume probability works ("a 2% drop chance means that if I kill 50 I'm 100% guaranteed to get one!") is actually true now.

I don't support this for the simple reason that Banners now provide buffs. The point of having a banner after 50 kills sort of indicates you have triumphed over that monster and actually deserve the buff. Potentially getting a banner on the first kill disregards that principle.

Also, the chance of a banner before that 50th kill is 1 - ((199/200)^49) x 100% = 22%. So it's far more likely that your first banner will be the 50th kill one, and that the banners that come from the random drop chance will just clutter up your inventory (there are already complains that one banner every 50th kill is too much, not that I agree with that but we have to consider everyone here).
I understand this, but the mobs that are rare should have this mechanic back, seeing some can be so rare hardly anyone can find them.

I understand this, but the mobs that are rare should have this mechanic back, seeing some can be so rare hardly anyone can find them.

"Being so rare hardly anyone can find them" is sort of the point of banners, I don't understand why you want to remove that fundamental attribute.

"Being so rare hardly anyone can find them" is sort of the point of banners, I don't understand why you want to remove that fundamental attribute.
The thing is that some mobs are so rare they could require months of farming to find 10 of them. I don't see any point of having an item that requires more time to get than the amount of time the game itself has been released.

The thing is that some mobs are so rare they could require months of farming to find 10 of them. I don't see any point of having an item that requires more time to get than the amount of time the game itself has been released.

First of all, months of farming is a hyperbole, I think you could farm any banner in about 5 days at most if you really put yourself to it. Secondly, that 22% chance isn't going to make all that much of a difference in most cases, a much more effective alternative would be to just lower the kill cap to 25 or something.

Although I dislike the new banner spam system, at least it does something right:
When you do kill the 50th evasive jungle moth and nymph you get a guaranteed banner, something not every player could have looked forward to in previous versions.
So rare mobs should DEFINITELY NOT switch back to the old system.

I've been having the opposite problem, really. After getting a ton of Blood Moons and when trying to build big structures, your inventory gets cluttered with tons of redundant banners.

I'd suggest tweaking the banner system by changing it so enemies award banners based on their rarity.

Common (Slimes, Zombies, and other enemies you run into in hordes) = drops banner every 100 kills.
Uncommon (Enemies like Medusas you run into occasionally, but not all the time) = drops banner every 50 kills.
Rare (Nymphs, Tim, and other super-rare mobs) = drops banner every 10 kills(20 kills?).

Additionally, you could change the boss trophies so that they drop on every 5 boss kills.

With over 2000 kills of zombies, green slimes, and blue slimes, I have relegated banners to the category of junk.
Do you want to buy my blinkroot seeds?

The new mechanics are fine. As already stated they provide a buff that shouldn't be easily, or luckily, obtained from the first or second kill. Also, showing how many mobs of whatever it was that I killed on how many I've killed is kindave awesome. Wish boss trophies would give some sort of buff if you kill them enough times.

These would require countless hours of grinding (not that half the items in the game require this) and insane patience. Most people don't have that kind of time to go off and kill the cultists 50000 times. Or actually, nobody does.

I think that's the idea. If people don't have time for this, well, they are playing the wrong game :p

Yeah sure, bring back the 1/200 drop rate, but it won't solve the OP's problems. Prior to the 50-kills thing you could go through 1000 rare mobs and not get their banner, that's RGN for ya.

I've been having the opposite problem, really. After getting a ton of Blood Moons and when trying to build big structures, your inventory gets cluttered with tons of redundant banners.

I'd suggest tweaking the banner system by changing it so enemies award banners based on their rarity.

Common (Slimes, Zombies, and other enemies you run into in hordes) = drops banner every 100 kills.
Uncommon (Enemies like Medusas you run into occasionally, but not all the time) = drops banner every 50 kills.
Rare (Nymphs, Tim, and other super-rare mobs) = drops banner every 10 kills(20 kills?).

Additionally, you could change the boss trophies so that they drop on every 5 boss kills.

This is probably the best soulution. And for the white cultist archer it should be reduced by a lot or his spawn should be increased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom