NPCs & Enemies Bring the Cthulhu as a boss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanky

Skeletron Prime
Yes I know this is a scrapped boss but I think it would be a great as a true final boss fight after the moon lord since the moon lord almost looks just like the Cthulhu. This would be great to add in 1.4.4 to show the history of scrapped bosses in terraria let’s make this an actual boss so we can know more about him before he became known as the moon lord

Occam’s razor my friends, the simplest answer is often the correct one. There is far more solid, straight forward evidence pointing towards the Moonlord just being Cthulhu…
  • The Moonlord resembles typical depictions of Cthulhu.
  • His eyes are called the True Eye’s of Cthulhu.
  • The Lunatic Cultists bestiary entry states he’s trying to summon Cthulhu.
  • The lore pages state the Cthulhu went to the dark side of the moon to re-gather his strength after the Dryads crippled him (they didn’t kill him). That’s why he’s called the Moonlord instead of Cthulhu.
  • The Moonlord being the Cthulhu’s brother was an old explanation from Re-Logic. The devs have now explicitly stated that the Moonlord is Cthulhu. (Also it is very common for story tellers to go back and retcon their work. It sucks if it invalidates your theory but it doesn’t mean you get to ignore the new info just because you don’t like it)
You would have to do several mental gymnastics to ignore all this evidence and say the Moonlord isn’t Cthulhu. It’s fine if have your own head cannon but the Moonlord being Cthulhu is the intended answer and the most logical one.

Last edited:
Occam’s razor my friends, the simplest answer is often the correct one. There is far more solid, straight forward evidence pointing towards the Moonlord just being Cthulhu…
  • His eyes are called the True Eye’s of Cthulhu.
  • The Lunatic Cultists bestiary entry states he’s trying to summon Cthulhu.
  • The lore pages state the Cthulhu went to the dark side of the moon to re-gather his strength after the Dryads crippled him (they didn’t kill him). That’s why he’s called the Moonlord instead of Cthulhu.
  • The Moonlord being the guide’s brother thing was a joke. They have now explicitly stated that the Moonlord is Cthulhu. (Also it is very common for story tellers to go back and retcon their work. It sucks if it invalidates your theory but it doesn’t mean you get to ignore the new info just because you don’t like it)
You would have to do several mental gymnastics to ignore all this evidence and say the Moonlord isn’t Cthulhu. It’s fine if have your own head cannon but the Moonlord being Cthulhu is the intended answer and the most logical one.
Ok, but for me they are not the same because Cthulhu has got one eye less, his brain and his skull and both arm's bones, making respectively the bosses EoC, BoC and Skeletron, meaning that IF Moonlord was Cthulhu, witch isn't, he would be missing important parts of his body. But since that's false, the Ml must be Cthulhu's brother. No other way.
Also, the Lunatic Cultist is not trying to summon him, he's doing actually the opposite, trying to maintain him in the prison and lock him in the moon, while the player, when he defeats the Lunatic, he's liberating the Ml from his prison, making even more sense in the Lore.
The thing about the guide is another completely different story. His brother is the ninja inside King Slime, as said in the Wiki.

Ok, but for me they are not the same because Cthulhu has got one eye less, his brain and his skull and both arm's bones, making respectively the bosses EoC, BoC and Skeletron, meaning that IF Moonlord was Cthulhu, witch isn't, he would be missing important parts of his body. But since that's false, the Ml must be Cthulhu's brother. No other way.
Once again Ocam’s razor. He’s an eldritch god who’s been “gathering his strength” on the dark side of the moon for at least half a millennium. Cthulhu regenerating those body parts as part of him regaining power requires way less logical leaps then Cthulhu having a brother.

Also, the Lunatic Cultist is not trying to summon him, he's doing actually the opposite, trying to maintain him in the prison and lock him in the moon, while the player, when he defeats the Lunatic, he's liberating the Ml from his prison, making even more sense in the Lore.
The Lunatic Cultists entry from the bestiary…

"A fanatical leader hell-bent on bringing about the apocalypse by reviving the great Cthulhu through behind-the-scenes scheming."

He’s trying to bring back Cthulhu. No if, ands, or buts.

The thing about the guide is another completely different story. His brother is the ninja inside King Slime, as said in the Wiki.
Lowkey don’t know why I said the thing about the guide. My brain must have been on autopilot thinking about the joke of the Moonlord being the guide’s dad. I’ve edited my reply to what I actually meant.

Last edited:
Irrelevant for reasons I'll talk about later.
See below.
  • The Moonlord being the Cthulhu’s brother was an old explanation from Re-Logic. The devs have now explicitly stated that the Moonlord is Cthulhu. (Also it is very common for story tellers to go back and retcon their work. It sucks if it invalidates your theory but it doesn’t mean you get to ignore the new info just because you don’t like it)
It's funny that you bring up authors retconning their work, because:
index.php

index.php

The "official" lore (which was written by MisterGameTheory and the TCT, not the developers, and is in itself riddled with plot holes and bad writing) was retconned itself a year after it released. Headcanon is quite literally the only correct path now.
thulhu regenerating those body parts as part of him regaining power requires way less logical leaps then Cthulhu having a brother.
No it doesn't, have you looked at yknow, the actual structure of the bones and brain? Cthulhu having a brother is just logically one step: he has a brother. (something I'll elaborate more on later), meanwhile for skeletron and the eyes to actually be a part of cthulhu they need to fit the body, and they don't. In fact they don't even fit each other.
"A fanatical leader hell-bent on bringing about the apocalypse by reviving the great Cthulhu through behind-the-scenes scheming."

He’s trying to bring back Cthulhu. No if, ands, or buts.
logically, Wouldn't that mean he brings back cthulhu if you left him alone? Instead you interrupt the ritual, which means literally anything could happen as a result, from the player having a hallucination (which doesn't take any additional logic and is actually the simplest one, if you're gonna pull out ocam's razor), to the wrong eldritch being emerging. We know his intent due to this passage but not the actual consequences of his actions.

Additionally, cthulhu actually has TWO confirmed brothers in the lovecraftian lore, (K'thanid and Hastur) which closely resemble cthulhu, so it's not a logical leap to consider them at all. Hastur is strongly associated with the color yellow, and guess what color energy the mysterious tablet gives off? Guess what color the Ancient Vision is, which the cultist only summons after absorbing the energy from said tablet? You're taking the cultist's intent into consideration without considering that he could have simply made a mistake and grabbed the wrong tablet when preparing the ritual. In fact considering that actual confirmed motifs of cthulhu are completely absent beyond the brain of cthulhu boss fight, it makes more sense for the cultist to make such a mistake. We don't even know where the mysterious tablet came from.

But then again, does any of this even matter?
As shown above, headcanon is what the developers support, and there is no confirmation ingame that moon lord is cthulhu so the devs haven't contradicted that. In fact, there's just as much tying moon lord to Hastur as there is Cthulhu ingame, so there isn't a definitive way to know.

And honestly? I prefer this. Terraria in itself is a sandbox game, and by not confirming the identity of moon lord as some known eldritch being with plenty of pre-established lore, you're allowed to fill it in yourself (A "lore sandbox")! Hell even in the Derplore: A Terrarian History, which is a headcanon I wrote, moon lord is not related to eldritch forces at all but was a powerful biological weapon that was constantly discarded and repurposed until it tried to lash out at all beings in vengeance.

Irrelevant for reasons I'll talk about later.

See below.

It's funny that you bring up authors retconning their work, because:
index.php

index.php

The "official" lore (which was written by MisterGameTheory and the TCT, not the developers, and is in itself riddled with plot holes and bad writing) was retconned itself a year after it released. Headcanon is quite literally the only correct path now.

No it doesn't, have you looked at yknow, the actual structure of the bones and brain? Cthulhu having a brother is just logically one step: he has a brother. (something I'll elaborate more on later), meanwhile for skeletron and the eyes to actually be a part of cthulhu they need to fit the body, and they don't. In fact they don't even fit each other.

logically, Wouldn't that mean he brings back cthulhu if you left him alone? Instead you interrupt the ritual, which means literally anything could happen as a result, from the player having a hallucination (which doesn't take any additional logic and is actually the simplest one, if you're gonna pull out ocam's razor), to the wrong eldritch being emerging. We know his intent due to this passage but not the actual consequences of his actions.

Additionally, cthulhu actually has TWO confirmed brothers in the lovecraftian lore, (K'thanid and Hastur) which closely resemble cthulhu, so it's not a logical leap to consider them at all. Hastur is strongly associated with the color yellow, and guess what color energy the mysterious tablet gives off? Guess what color the Ancient Vision is, which the cultist only summons after absorbing the energy from said tablet? You're taking the cultist's intent into consideration without considering that he could have simply made a mistake and grabbed the wrong tablet when preparing the ritual. In fact considering that actual confirmed motifs of cthulhu are completely absent beyond the brain of cthulhu boss fight, it makes more sense for the cultist to make such a mistake. We don't even know where the mysterious tablet came from.

But then again, does any of this even matter?
As shown above, headcanon is what the developers support, and there is no confirmation ingame that moon lord is cthulhu so the devs haven't contradicted that. In fact, there's just as much tying moon lord to Hastur as there is Cthulhu ingame, so there isn't a definitive way to know.

And honestly? I prefer this. Terraria in itself is a sandbox game, and by not confirming the identity of moon lord as some known eldritch being with plenty of pre-established lore, you're allowed to fill it in yourself (A "lore sandbox")! Hell even in the Derplore: A Terrarian History, which is a headcanon I wrote, moon lord is not related to eldritch forces at all but was a powerful biological weapon that was constantly discarded and repurposed until it tried to lash out at all beings in vengeance.
I have a college essay to write and I'm not really in the mood to have a full-on debate so I'm just going to say this...

Let's just ignore the lore pages and quotes from the devs for the reasons you gave. If you just look at the evidence in-game it pretty clearly points to the Moon Lord being Cthulhu. Saying the Moonlord is Cthulhu's brother ignores this evidence and makes a bunch of assumptions about the world of Terraria (the Cultists messing up the ritual, how the ritual works, other gods from Lovecraft lore existing in the world of Terraria, etc.). Because of these assumptions and logical leaps the "Moonlord is Cthulu's brother" theory doesn't follow Ocam's razor and therefore isn't a very strong explanation. This doesn't mean your answer is wrong, like the devs said everyone's theories are a valid interpretation, but that doesn't mean it makes sense logically. This is all I was trying to point out and wasn't looking for a debate on which theory is correct.

"Moonlord is Cthulu's brother" theory doesn't follow Ocam's razor and therefore isn't a very strong explanation. This doesn't mean your answer is wrong, like the devs said everyone's theories are a valid interpretation, but that doesn't mean it makes sense logically. This is all I was trying to point out and wasn't looking for a debate on which theory is correct.
As I also said, Neither does "moon lord is cthulhu"

Hi there everyone, lively discussion going, which is great, but it has veered away from the topic at hand, so I’d like to direct you to this thread instead if you’re wanting to continue the discussion: Moon Lord is Cthulhu; Change my mind

I‘ll go ahead and close the thread since, as was mentioned before, the idea of having cthulhu as a boss has been brought up many times. So many times that, yes, there is a rule about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom