broken weapons

(edited for clarity) Oh yeah -- I didn't get a Flinx staff this playthrough, but when the Vampire Frog was introduced, I realized that having *any* minion in early game is really powerful. Just having another damage source that fends off passing monsters is a big thing.
I wanted to be careful about how I worded my reply, because I'm aware that the Flinx Set includes the Armor, which wasn't what was being asked, still, I consider them a "Set", because why make the Staff and not the Coat? In this context you get two Minions, aside from any other Minion modifiers. 🤔🥤

In that case, I consider Flinx to be the superior, pre-EoC choice, but if you can get Vampire Frog... you really should!

I wanted to be careful about how I worded my reply, because I'm aware that the Flinx Set includes the Armor, which wasn't what was being asked, still, I consider them a "Set", because why make the Staff and not the Coat? In this context you get two Minions, aside from any other Minion modifiers. 🤔🥤

In that case, I consider Flinx to be the superior, pre-EoC choice, but if you can get Vampire Frog... you really should!
The Flinx is weaker, but it's an even earlier start to summoning. The Vampire Frog needs a fight that's pretty tough early on, but if you can hack it, it's powerful enough to be nearly a sequence-breaker. My earlier game was before the Flinx Staff was added; I like to think the Flinx might have been added partly because of my raving about Early Minion. ;-) In my recent game I didn't go for the Flinx not because of any principle, but simply because didn't find out about it until afterwards! I'd already pushed across the surface to the Ocean (Angler) well before I got into the Underground Snow biome, and was built enough to take the fight. (I'll note that in Hardmode, the Sanguine Staff is also a really good minion!)

I'm also doing mage path this game, I wasn't quite nervy enough to take the defense hit of Summoner armor anyway. But then, I'm in Expert Mode for the first time, so maybe I should practice staying out of harm's way while my minions deal with stuff. I'm currently in the late pre-Hardmode "vacation" period, just finished (I think) isolating my Crimson, whose two peaks were conveniently close enough for their caverns to merge into one big arena.

The Flinx is weaker, but it's an even earlier start to summoning. The Vampire Frog needs a fight that's pretty tough early on, but if you can hack it, it's powerful enough to be nearly a sequence-breaker...
That's a good point, I can't really argue the contrary. It's tough, at least for me, to judge the sequence in which Vampire Frog should be obtained, because Flinx Minions are so good. In fact, I find that a combination between them & any flying Minion (Hornets/ Imps) is fairly similar to Spiders & Twins; more-than-adequate to defeat the WoF. In fact, I'd argue that obtaining the ore to make the Imp Staff is probably a more desirable option than (and is arguably easier than) fishing during a Blood Moon.

I'm also doing mage path this game, I wasn't quite nervy enough to take the defense hit of Summoner armor anyway. But then, I'm in Expert Mode for the first time...
Speaking of progression paths, I'd like to note I'm fully aware that fishing during a Blood Moon is obviously easier or harder depending on playstyle, but almost every player will inevitably start burrowing underground at some point in time, especially if they want access to better Minions. In the case of a Summoner, you're kinda killing two birds, by hitting up the Tundra Caverns first...

...then there's the curious case of having the beach/ Ocean Biome as your starting area with the most recent update, which has the potential to be a gamechanger depending on how you look at it. All that to say "yeah, you'd likely know better than me at this point". 😅🤷‍♂️

That's a good point, I can't really argue the contrary. It's tough, at least for me, to judge the sequence in which Vampire Frog should be obtained, because Flinx Minions are so good. In fact, I find that a combination between them & any flying Minion (Hornets/ Imps) is fairly similar to Spiders & Twins; more-than-adequate to defeat the WoF. In fact, I'd argue that obtaining the ore to make the Imp Staff is probably a more desirable option than (and is arguably easier than) fishing during a Blood Moon.

Hmm... I wonder how that would play out in Expert mode....

Speaking of progression paths, I'd like to note I'm fully aware that fishing during a Blood Moon is obviously easier or harder depending on playstyle, but almost every player will inevitably start burrowing underground at some point in time, especially if they want access to better Minions. In the case of a Summoner, you're kinda killing two birds, by hitting up the Tundra Caverns first...

True, and if I ever want to do full Summoner, I will do that (now that I do know about the Flinx staff!)

...then there's the curious case of having the beach/ Ocean Biome as your starting area with the most recent update, which has the potential to be a gamechanger depending on how you look at it. All that to say "yeah, you'd likely know better than me at this point". 😅🤷‍♂️

Wait, that can happen? That would be wild! Though I guess you wouldn't be able to start off fishing right away.

Back
Top Bottom