Weapons & Equip Buff Star Guardian?

Should the star guardian be buffed?

• No, Keep it as it is.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AFK

Steampunker
Now I would like to start off by saying that I'm not a 'balancing expert', but I can say for sure, the star guardian needs a buff.
So, I have been playing summoner since 1.2.4.1, and I had a lot of fun despite the low amount of variety. In 1.3, I absolutely loved the new armor set and items. I loved the looks, and the new found power in the star guardian armor and weapons. I found out about the "Star Guardian" armor bonus and I instantly fell in love with the idea of it. HOWEVER. This is the latest game armor you can possibly get for a summoner, and the Star Guardian bonus takes 2 hits just to kill a blue slime. A basic, blue slime. That thing should be well over 1 hit, dealing 40-50(ish) damage every few seconds for a late game set bonus, just doesn't seem worth it.

My gear: Full Stardust Armor (Obviously), Ankh Shield (Menacing), Papyrus Scarab (Menacing), Necromantic Scroll (Menacing), Summoner Emblem (Menacing), Celestial Shell (Menacing), Hercules Beetle (Menacing). (This is expert mode) And yes I have tried out the damage with the night time bonus of the Celestial Shell and the damage did not go up even a bit.

What I think is going on is that the Star Guardian is just not getting any benefit off of minion damage, and if it is, it's base damage is EXTREMELY low, either way the damage should be increased. If it is true that the minion damage stat gives no bonuses, that should be changed. Later on after testing I looked for a build to see if I missed any summoner gear and Gull Of Doom actually pointed out the same thing. Ultimate Summoner Loadout 1.3 (
) He also points out that this minion, being an ARMOR bonus, should be a tank minion (Have a health bar, take aggro) Since summoners have some of, if not THE lowest armor and no way to take all the damage off your HP without switching out all your Damage prefixes for Defense. Which, sacrifices a lot of damage. It could be possible to give it a certain amount of HP ( If so, let's not put that in the 40s too) and them once dead it has a cool down before automatically reviving. Which would really but not be too broken if you make the cool downs and the HP of the Star Guardian right.

At the very least, it should get a damage boost. When I double tap S, I'm just disappointed with the shear lack of damage, It seems like the games way of trying to incorporate player interaction with dealing Summoner damage rather than having to take a Melee / Ranged / Magic weapon. But it just isn't worth it at the point it is at. I think that the Star Guardian could benefit greatly with a buff, and easily edited to the point where it won't end up 'Overpowered' or 'Broken'.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure the Guardian is not meant to be damaging at all. It's a defensive minion with a focus on interrupting enemies -- which is what it's attack does by stopping and pulling in enemies who are caught in the blast radius. In that regard -- the AoE range or rate of attack could maybe use a buff, but otherwise the Guardian serves it's purpose.

Any buff to the damage (unless it is REALLY significant) will probably still be considered underwhelming.

I am pretty sure the Guardian is not meant to be damaging at all. It's a defensive minion with a focus on interrupting enemies -- which is what it's attack does by stopping and pulling in enemies who are caught in the blast radius. In that regard -- the AoE range or rate of attack could maybe use a buff, but otherwise the Guardian serves it's purpose.

Any buff to the damage (unless it is REALLY significant) will probably still be considered underwhelming.

Maybe you're right, but if it is meant to be defensive I could still see a benefit in the idea of making it able to Tank. also, 2 hits for a slime is still eeeh.. But I see your point.

I find that it tanks just fine. However, the real problem is that the guardian does not work in the air. So much as using your wings to dodge a boss move will cause the guardian to reset.

It works well at keeping enemies busy. But yes it would be nice if it wasn't so passive, it's a bit underwhelming right now. A damage upgrade to like 100 instead of 30-ish would be a good start as right now the other 3 fragment armor sets are in a whole different tier of power. Vortex Armor has insane DPS with the Phantasm and S.D.M.G., Solar Flare tanks like a boss and has broken weapons like Vampire Knives and the Meowmere, while Nebula just beats them all with obscenely strong buffs.

Meanwhile Stardust Armor has very low defense which is a major setback, and really it's not that much of an upgrade to the Tiki set. One extra minion, 3 defense, 32% damage and the guardian. The damage bonus is good but keep in mind, the Stardust Dragon staff only has 60 damage by default. The Last Prism has 100. The Meowmere has 200. When it comes to DPS the summoner class is simply dead last. So the saving grace is supposed to be the guardian, and it's really not. Make it more powerful, make it actually jump in when I'm being attacked without forcing me to summon it in an inconvenient location. Make it be able to fly as clearly it can float around and follow you in the air. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I had high expectations of a big guardian protecting me when I first put on the armor. Only to find out it doesn't really do a whole lot. Definitely can use a major buff.

The stardust guardian should do atleast 150 damage or more every hit, IMO. Or the stardust armor should get a pretty big defense buff.

the Stardust Dragon staff only has 60 damage by default..
The stardust dragon set can take out every boss in the game with little to no trouble (excluding the moon lord) as it's damage grows by massive amounts when segments are added and it has a massive attack range.

The stardust dragon set can take out every boss in the game with little to no trouble (excluding the moon lord) as it's damage grows by massive amounts when segments are added and it has a massive attack range.

And yet it doesn't even remotely compare to the Lunar Flare, S.D.M.G., Last Prism, Meowmere, Terrarian, Phantasm, Vortex Beater and so on. Besides, most post-plantera weapons can take out all bosses in the game without trouble. The point still stands, when it comes to sheer power the summoner is the weakest of all classes even with full upgrades. Not in the least bit because summons can't get crits. Maybe they should think about reworking that as well.

Thank you all for the messages. as for your reply @Soulstiger, just like one of my other suggestions that got the same message, it's safe to assume that anyone who went through the effort of writing paragraphs for something didn't know the work was done elsewhere. cx

Thank you all for the messages. as for your reply @Soulstiger, just like one of my other suggestions that got the same message, it's safe to assume that anyone who went through the effort of writing paragraphs for something didn't know the work was done elsewhere. cx

That's why the stickies say to use the search function before posting. :p

And by the way, The Buff doesn't need to make the thing over powered. It could be made a bit useful with 2 thing added.
1) Keep the base damage as it is, but make it scale with minion damage.
2) Make it's ability usable in air to get pesky flying mobs off of you.
The buff could be that simple.

Back
Top Bottom