Bug report regarding failure to launch via Steam.

WolfieTheFurry

Steampunker
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 8/8.1
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
So, for the past few months I've been having the problem of after playing Terraria perfectly fine, when I come back to the game later and try to launch the game through Steam it runs for a few seconds and then acts like I never clicked play. Uninstalling the game didn't fix anything, checking file integrity doesn't help and waiting for Steam to update their system doesn't change anything. The only solution I found was deleting the config.json file under "my documents" where all user data is saved to. At first, I thought this might be an issue with Steam Workshop downloaded resource packs. So today I did the usual routine of deleting my config file to run the game and did NOT use any resource packs of any kind, just the base game alone. Sadly, this resulted in the same issue when I was done playing. Upon return, the game failed to launch without deleting the config file again. After reaching out on Twitter, I was asked to file this report, so here I am lol
I've also attached the config file, as requested by Redigit.

My PC Specs:
Operating System
Windows 8 64-bit
CPU
Intel Pentium G2020T @ 2.50GHz
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Hewlett-Packard 2AFB (SOCKET 0)
Graphics
K242HQL (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics (HP)
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA )
3726GB Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA) )
931GB Seagate BUP Slim BK SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA) )
Optical Drives
hp CDDVDW SH-216BB
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Attachments

• config.json
    5.7 KB · Views: 41
im 100% sure it started, assuming you pressed the play button in steam
a process doesnt have to open a window right away, it might crash before it can do so, which will hopefully be logged in the file

Things to try if you have not already:

- Are you running Steam as Admin (rt click on steam shortcut, pick run as admin)?
- Are any AV programs (even WinDef) blocking access to My Documents?

I've run into both in the past (not just for Terraria, for any game that uses My Documents > My Games for saves and config files) when running Steam.

Valve has an entire help article on this (Steam Support :: Games do not run after 'Preparing to Launch')... but would like to rule out any Terraria-specific issues in case there is some aspect of this solveable on our end.

Back
Top Bottom