Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Hello reader,

My friends and I have recently been having a bug where monsters, critters, you name it, have been phasing through blocks. Unfortunately, I do not have that many details. I will edit this post if I get some but all I know at the moment is that often it happens near hammered blocks.

Thank you for taking the time to read this bug report, I hope I was helpful.

Welcome to the forums TiggerDaKing and Zheao!

Are you playing in multiplayer? There's a new feature of multiplayer for smoothing NPC movements rather than having them teleport around. This might be why you're seeing enemies phasing through blocks.

It could also be related to a technique known as hoiking, which can be used to force players and enemies into normally impossible locations.

Lastly, some enemies don't play nice with slopes. I've seen slimes and sharks get stuck in blocks that way.

Do any of these seem applicable to your situations?

Yes, I am playing on multiplayer and most of the occurrences happen around slopes but it's mainly just slimes for me but even that is sometimes in a blue moon

This has been happening in my 1.4.0.4 multiplayer session only as well, singleplayer is completely fine. And I really doubt it's lag, since I'm the one hosting the server (not through Steam).
JTsa1a7yh6.gif
This is not normal behavior

I'm playing on mobile 1.3.0.7, and I've been getting the same problem. It is mostly chaos elementals and lizhards when they drop on all four legs.

This has been happening in my 1.4.0.4 multiplayer session only as well, singleplayer is completely fine. And I really doubt it's lag, since I'm the one hosting the server (not through Steam).
Pretty sure this is indeed somewhat of a lag issue. Hosting a server takes a bit of strain on your computer/internet. You have to #1 play the game, #2 host a server, #3 send data from your game/the server to any and all other players on it.
This means that someone's gonna lag, and it can even be you.

As of 1.4., enemies now take a slower and more direct route to the player (through blocks) rather than teleport like they used to. Your sample is a special case, considering it's a Chaos Elemental, who could teleport anyway.
The game is simply trying to give you an idea where in the hell that enemy came from instead of teleporting behind you and killing you instantly.

Now, that said, the devs are working on some performance issues, they're gonna try to make this happen less often, but I'm pretty sure it was a conscious choice to make enemies travel through blocks during lag instead of "teleport." The game has to calculate that the enemy got to you through legitimate means though. So if say, a bat were to do this to you, it would only be able to do so if it could get to you at all. (So if there's a small floating "island" in your cavern, with plenty of open space around and you lag with the bat above the "island" it may appear to phase through those blocks, but according to the game, it flew around.)

Pretty sure this is indeed somewhat of a lag issue. Hosting a server takes a bit of strain on your computer/internet. You have to #1 play the game, #2 host a server, #3 send data from your game/the server to any and all other players on it.
This means that someone's gonna lag, and it can even be you.

As of 1.4., enemies now take a slower and more direct route to the player (through blocks) rather than teleport like they used to. Your sample is a special case, considering it's a Chaos Elemental, who could teleport anyway.
The game is simply trying to give you an idea where in the hell that enemy came from instead of teleporting behind you and killing you instantly.

Now, that said, the devs are working on some performance issues, they're gonna try to make this happen less often, but I'm pretty sure it was a conscious choice to make enemies travel through blocks during lag instead of "teleport." The game has to calculate that the enemy got to you through legitimate means though. So if say, a bat were to do this to you, it would only be able to do so if it could get to you at all. (So if there's a small floating "island" in your cavern, with plenty of open space around and you lag with the bat above the "island" it may appear to phase through those blocks, but according to the game, it flew around.)
That game logic makes sense. Any other time a enemy has phased through blocks, it could've gotten there legitimately(?) for instance: it happened a ton when Angry Bones and any other dungeon mob interacted with the false dungeon bricks. It being a lag issue is really o_O bothersome though; everything else in the game, except a few problematic enemies, has been very responsive.

Back
Top Bottom