tModLoader Calamity Mod

What would you like me to create more of?

• NPCs (enemies, house NPCs, etc.)

Votes: 1,170 19.5%
  • Bosses

Votes: 2,450 40.8%
  • Items (Accessories, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 1,581 26.3%
  • Vanity (furniture, armor sets, etc.)

Votes: 438 7.3%
  • Mineable Stuff (Ores, Blocks, etc.)

Votes: 372 6.2%

• Total voters
Here are my thoughts on the Abyss biome.

In general: The sea above the abyss is seemingly sulphuric, right? Some gripes of mine are:
- Sulphuric Acid is extremely toxic and corrosive, it's crazy how you can swim there. You can't, you should die. I'd suggest a debuff that only activates if you're not wearing all armor pieces, and that debuff would quickly sap at your health. Something like: "Skin Corrosion", which deals (5*A + 1) damage every tick, where A is amount of empty armor slots. In fact, the air itself around a sea like that is toxic. So the entire biome should apply that debuff.
- Sulphur isn't soluble in water, and sulphuric acid is denser than water. Abyss' water is blue, which kind of implies that it's clear. There are multiple solutions to that: First is - make all water in the abyss that yellowish sulphuric in color, debuff applied. That would look weird though. Second is - make the ocean above clear and the abyss or part of it - sulphuric. Third - connect abyss and sea not with a straight tunnel, but with a 'un' or 'nu' tunnel. Like two connected U-syphons or an S on its side. That shape.
- Abyss' layers of enemies are nowhere to be seen, there is no indicator that you're in a different layer or anything like that. Solution to that lies in changing abyss gen code to not be a repetitive helix.
- Hardmode items are easily acquired post-Skeletron.
-
+ Sulphuric Acid and water create exothermic reaction - heat appears on the connecting surface of two liquids. Bubbles rising from the ocean are a great touch!

Okay, now for the picture.
Region 1:
- It's empty. And it's 30% of the entire biome! Sure it's meaningful, I don't mind that at all. You're falling into the abyss, which is cool, but not 30% of the entire biome! You could reach the upper edge of the world with these 30%! What is more...
- No enemies spawn there, at all. It's just empty and nothing happens. Why?
- For the entirety of those 30% underground music plays. Not even ocean.
+ Meaningful, ok. The only plus.
Region 2:
- It's repetitive. Surely you noticed a pattern there. Rock - two cliffs - rock - two cliffs... It goes on and on.
- Moving through that region is very boring too. The way down is a helix, or a double one. There is nothing to explore, just go down and down.
- Items are acquired extremely easily. Sure, you need to kill Skeletron to get the shadow key and open the chests, but still.
+ There is great variety in mobs! I haven't seen that many anywhere, except maybe in underground desert. Truly wonderful job.
+ Fantastic music, fits well
+ 100% of the Abyss
Region 3:
- Another drop into the Abyss, with nothing at the end.
- Extremely difficult enemies with no reward.
+ The biome finally ends here. I feel deep satisfaction.
upload_2018-3-22_3-39-3.png

Here's my view on the Abyss.
General: I suggest the double U syphon tunnel so the waters of the Abyss are clearer.
Region 1 - 'Floating Gardens': Photic zone with low pressure. This can be explored at the end of pre-Hardmode and some items can be acquired using a Shadow or Golden Key. Layer 1 enemies spawn here plenty. Players receive a "Compressed Air" debuff that reduces breath meter by 40 seconds, essentially removing all air from players unless they have at least a diving helmet equipped.
Ceiling spikes of the gardens allow the player to quickly swim out of the zone using hooks if they don't have flipper potions, plus they could be a source of Planty Mush. "Floating Islands" can contain some ores, chests and they provide some ground for players to walk on, while also keeping the abyss itself, considering they're not attached to anything and there is nothing below.
Region 2 - 'Cliffside': Photic/Aphotic zone with higher pressure. There is some light, but it's definitely harder to see. That zone can be explored after Plantera and new items can be acquired using Temple Key or Abyss Key, which is made from Temple Key and Lumenyl. Layer 2 enemies spawn here. Players receive a "High pressure" debuff that sets breath meter to zero and quadrifies damage from air loss, while also slowing down the player by 15%. The only way to explore that region would be either gills potion or Neptune's Shell.
Cliffside region is full of dangerous enemies. Being on the edge of photic and aphotic zones, it holds some enemies that emit light to attract players. It is easy to explore and the cliffs might hold something inside them, specifically some rare ore. Cliffsides are a home to some rare plants as well, namely Aqualga that grows only deep underwater and gives seeds when below sea level. Aqualga can be used for potions that increase players' stats when submerged in liquid, or for potions that remove pressure debuffs, allowing players to safely explore the depths.
Region 3 - 'Abyss': Aphotic zone with immense pressure. Players receive "Pressurized" debuff that quickly saps their health regardless of their breath meter. Swimming upwards becomes extremely difficult too, to the point of being stuck in that region without at least flippers. Aqualga and Abyss accessories can help. Layer 3 enemies spawn here, except Adult Eidolon Wyrm. The only source of light here are plants on the surface, but it's not enough to see further than 5 blocks above player's head. This zone should be explored post-Moon lord as it houses extremely strong creatures. In case you guys decide to keep the ocean above clear, this could be the beginning of Sulphuric part.
Abyss is a region that has no light in it and it's not as easy to get in there between the cliffs. Long strands of seaweed or other plant life, like Abyss trees, could be used for furniture and blocks. Surface of the Abyss contains bioluminescent microorganisms, making it glow anywhere, but mostly consists of dirt, sand and organic remains of other creatures. Abyss has an entrance hidden under the glowing surface...
Region 4 - 'Subaqueous Caverns': Aphotic zone with same high pressure. Players receive the same pressure debuffs, but the visibility is reduced to zero, making it impossible to traverse without high-end gear and accessories that give off light. Only enemies that might spawn here are Bobbit Worms. Besides that there is hardly anything else. Just a labyrinth full of traps that leads even further down. This place also contains extremely rare ores and maybe items.
Caverns are here to bar players away from the true abyss below and to keep creatures of the deep away from everything and everyone else. This labyrinth-like region is filled with traps and bobbit worms.
Region 5 - 'True Abyss': No light. Immense Pressure. House of the greatest beasts and an endless fall into the darkness below. Welcome to hell. If you reach the end there might be something for you, but you need a key that only drops from Adult Eidolon Wyrm.
upload_2018-3-22_3-39-40.png

Last edited:

In general: The sea above the abyss is seemingly sulphuric, right? Some gripes of mine are:
- Sulphuric Acid is extremely toxic and corrosive, it's crazy how you can swim there. You can't, you should die. I'd suggest a debuff that only activates if you're not wearing all armor pieces, and that debuff would quickly sap at your health. Something like: "Skin Corrosion", which deals (5*A + 1) damage every tick, where A is amount of empty armor slots. In fact, the air itself around a sea like that is toxic. So the entire biome should apply that debuff.
- Sulphur isn't soluble in water, and sulphuric acid is denser than water. Abyss' water is blue, which kind of implies that it's clear. There are multiple solutions to that: First is - make all water in the abyss that yellowish sulphuric in color, debuff applied. That would look weird though. Second is - make the ocean above clear and the abyss or part of it - sulphuric. Third - connect abyss and sea not with a straight tunnel, but with a 'un' or 'nu' tunnel. Like two connected U-syphons or an S on its side. That shape.
- Abyss' layers of enemies are nowhere to be seen, there is no indicator that you're in a different layer or anything like that. Solution to that lies in changing abyss gen code to not be a repetitive helix.
-
+ Sulphuric Acid and water create exothermic reaction - heat appears on the connecting surface of two liquids. Bubbles rising from the ocean are a great touch!

Region 1:
- It's empty. And it's 30% of the entire biome! Sure it's meaningful, I don't mind that at all. You're falling into the abyss, which is cool, but not 30% of the entire biome! You could reach the upper edge of the world with these 30%! What is more...
Region 2:
- It's repetitive. Surely you noticed a pattern there. Rock - two cliffs - rock - two cliffs... It goes on and on.
- Moving through that region is very boring too. The way down is a helix, or a double one. There is nothing to explore, just go down and down.
- Items are acquired extremely easily. Sure, you need to kill Skeletron to get the shadow key and open the chests, but still.
+ There is great variety in mobs! I haven't seen that many anywhere, except maybe in underground desert. Truly wonderful job.
+ 100% of the Abyss
Region 3:
View attachment 196300

General: I suggest the double U syphon tunnel so the waters of the Abyss are clearer.
Region 1 - 'Floating Gardens': Photic zone with low pressure. This can be explored at the end of pre-Hardmode and some items can be acquired using a Shadow or Golden Key. Layer 1 enemies spawn here plenty. Players receive a "Compressed Air" debuff that reduces breath meter by 40 seconds, essentially removing all air from players unless they have at least a diving helmet equipped.
Ceiling spikes of the gardens allow the player to quickly swim out of the zone using if they don't have flipper potions, plus they could be a source of Planty Mush. "Floating Islands" can contain some ores, chests and they provide some ground for players to walk on, while also keeping the abyss itself, considering they're not attached to anything and there is nothing below.
Region 2 - 'Cliffside': Photic/Aphotic zone with higher pressure. There is some light, but it's definitely harder to see. That zone can be explored after Plantera and new items can be acquired using Temple Key or Abyss Key, which is made from Temple Key and Lumenyl. Layer 2 enemies spawn here. Players receive a "High pressure" debuff that sets breath meter to zero and quadrifies damage from air loss, while also slowing down the player by 15%. The only way to explore that region would be either gills potion or Neptune's Shell.
Cliffside region is full of dangerous enemies. Being on the edge of photic and aphotic zones, it holds some enemies that emit light to attract players. It is easy to explore and the cliffs might hold something inside them, specifically some rare ore. Cliffsides are a home to some rare plants as well, namely Aqualga that grows only deep underwater and gives seeds when below sea level. Aqualga can be used for potions that increase players' stats when submerged in liquid, or for potions that remove pressure debuffs, allowing players to safely explore the depths.
Region 3 - 'Abyss': Aphotic zone with immense pressure. Players receive "Pressurized" debuff that quickly saps their health regardless of their breath meter. Swimming upwards becomes extremely difficult too, to the point of being stuck in that region without at least flippers. Aqualga and Abyss accessories can help. Layer 3 enemies spawn here, except Adult Eidolon Wyrm. The only source of light here are plants on the surface, but it's not enough to see further than 5 blocks above player's head. This zone should be explored post-Moon lord as it houses extremely strong creatures. In case you guys decide to keep the ocean above clear, this could be the beginning of Sulphuric part.
Abyss is a region that has no light in it and it's not as easy to get in there between the cliffs. Long strands of seaweed or other plant life, like Abyss trees, could be used for furniture and blocks. Surface of the Abyss contains bioluminescent microorganisms, making it glow anywhere, but mostly consists of dirt, sand and organic remains of other creatures. Abyss has an entrance hidden under the glowing surface...
Region 4 - 'Subaqueous Caverns': Aphotic zone with same high pressure. Players receive the same pressure debuffs, but the visibility is reduced to zero, making it impossible to traverse without high-end gear and accessories that give off light. Only enemies that might spawn here are Bobbit Worms. Besides that there is hardly anything else. Just a labyrinth full of traps that leads even further down. This place also contains extremely rare ores and maybe items.
Caverns are here to bar players away from the true abyss below and to keep creatures of the deep away from everything and everyone else. This labyrinth-like region is filled with traps and bobbit worms.
Region 5 - 'True Abyss': No light. Immense Pressure. House of the greatest beasts and an endless fall into the darkness below. Welcome to hell. If you reach the end there might be something for you, but you need a key that only drops from Adult Eidolon Wyrm.
View attachment 196301
i really like this idea. it would add more to the currently bland abyss, and give the bottom an actual use.

while were on the topic of abyss, me and my friends had a small idea for multiplayer:
abyss crates!
abyss crates could be fished up in the sulfurous seas, and would contain all the stuff an abyss chest would
they can only be caught/opened post-skele. and would fix the problem of not being able to get everyone a set of abyss diving suits.

Last edited:
Real quick I'm going to make a game. It's going to be a 3D game composed of pixels made to look old-timey-ish, and the goal of the game will be to get to another dimension and kill a dragon. That's a reference though, and influence.

If something is visually and functionally the same in two different games, it's not an influence - its a ripoff.

To Moose guy: It's a mod, get over it.

To everyone else that isn't being totally unreasonable the next update is almost ready and it does the following:

1 - Made Aquatic Scourge do something else.
2 - Made it so Mortar and Rubber Mortar rounds cannot break abyss gravel/walls.
3 - If the player has negative life in the abyss from the low breath effect they will die instantly.
4 - Added new Mauler roar.
5 - New Aerospec sprites.
6 - Reduced the effectiveness of the Lionfish venom stack debuff.
7 - A couple new ore slime sprites.
8 - New Signus sprites.
9 - Catfish can now drop Diving Helmet sometimes.
10 - DoG's damage taken increases from minimal to huge as he uses more of his power/takes damage in Phase 2. This gives more credence to his arrogance and lack of training being his ultimate downfall.
11 - Zen Potion effectiveness reduced while in the Abyss.

-

Region 1:
Region 2:
+ 100% of the Abyss
Region 3:
View attachment 196300

Ceiling spikes of the gardens allow the player to quickly swim out of the zone using if they don't have flipper potions, plus they could be a source of Planty Mush. "Floating Islands" can contain some ores, chests and they provide some ground for players to walk on, while also keeping the abyss itself, considering they're not attached to anything and there is nothing below.
View attachment 196301
Very nice suggestions there, mate.

Is there anyway to remove DoG op laser wall. Its impossible for me to beat DoG because after i get him down to half in his final form, he starts spamming the laser wall every second non stop and the walls are very insanely to successfully get through more then 4-5 of the 20-infinity anount of laser walls he spams and the wall does 230 damage in one hit with terragon and max potions. Getting theough all of them without being hit more then 4-5 times (1k health from potions armor, fruit,etc) is nigh impossible and even if i some day ever manage to beat him from pure luck after 200 tries, i will still have to beat him 5-9 times!
Only only way he can ever be beaten is disabiling his laser wall spam, is there a file i can change or delete to do so, everything requires the stuff you get frombeating him and its impossible for me to beat him even once.

Watch this video and follow his tactics exactly, that's how I eventually beat DoG my first time round. If you can keep ahead of him you only have to deal with the horizontal lasers and well timed jumps get you through the laser walls. Dipping below the platforms when he charges stops him from crawling along the platforms and getting you with his head

Once you get a hang of the strategy you'll be able to take him down. Don't forget Omega healing potions, yharim's stimulants etc.

Also, the first time you beat a boss is always the hardest, after you defeat them once you can craft some neat new gear that makes subsequent fights easier

Last edited:
I'm having trouble with the Twins in Revengeance, anyone cares to help? I plan on using the Darklight Greatsword along with daedalus armor, in a full tank build, what should I use as an accessory? This is my first mech boss.

Edit: never mind, I'm simply not used to "free-fight".

Last edited:
Thanks! Now if only the mod devs saw it...

Don't worry, I saw it, it's a great suggestion but just not viable to do it due to a few factors:

1 - My motivation as I'm the only programmer (It's a great suggestion but I would definitely become unmotivated partway through programming it)
2 - My own time constraints (since I'm working a job to pay for bills irl I just don't have the same time I used to in order to work on this mod)

@Phupperbat

While the critique of the mod was a little harsh, the language it uses does not render it's points invalid. To be honest, I find the "review" to be honest and at some points rather humorous. It's points about The Abyss seem fair enough from what I've gauged after poking around on the Calamity wiki. Now, I'm not saying we should gather 'round and kick the Calamity mod or it's devs to death. All mods have their own flaws. However, I think everyone should understand if there are obvious flaws in a mod, the developers should do their part and try to fix it. Blame does not lie upon other users if they have offered honest criticism.

@MountainDrew

I appreciate the work you've done for this mod. However, you cannot simply say "get over it" and say that he's (or she) is being unreasonable. Fixes on a large scale take time, but at least recognize, accept, and respond to the problems that have been highlighted by the users of this community.

@Phupperbat

While the critique of the mod was a little harsh, the language it uses does not render it's points invalid. To be honest, I find the "review" to be honest and at some points rather humorous. It's points about The Abyss seem fair enough from what I've gauged after poking around on the Calamity wiki. Now, I'm not saying we should gather 'round and kick the Calamity mod or it's devs to death. All mods have their own flaws. However, I think everyone should understand if there are obvious flaws in a mod, the developers should do their part and try to fix it. Blame does not lie upon other users if they have offered honest criticism.

@MountainDrew

I appreciate the work you've done for this mod. However, you cannot simply say "get over it" and say that he's (or she) is being unreasonable. Fixes on a large scale take time, but at least recognize, accept, and respond to the problems that have been highlighted by the users of this community.

I don't really see what Moose and some others highlighted as a problem, that's all.

Once again, I am sticking to these principles:
1 - A mod is not professional work
2 - We are not being paid to work on mods
3 - We should not be held to any standard presented by any other mod
4 - Mods are for fun

Don't worry, I saw it, it's a great suggestion but just not viable to do it due to a few factors:

1 - My motivation as I'm the only programmer (It's a great suggestion but I would definitely become unmotivated partway through programming it)
2 - My own time constraints (since I'm working a job to pay for bills irl I just don't have the same time I used to in order to work on this mod)
Keep it in your mind for the day you decide to tackle that problem. I've played around with world gen before, but not too much, so I wouldn't be able to help with that myself. Maybe once I get enough skill I'll try and provide you my help.

[Please read. Important abyss discovery!!!!]
Guys yesterday I posteda comment in which I stated that I will find out what's going on with 3rd layer darkness, because when I was in 3rd layer of abyss darkness wan't appearing and I thought that was, because I was in pre-hardmode but no. I have discovered something amazing. On a calamity mod gamepedia page there's written that 3rd layers darkness can be negated with a lumenous amulet, which is crafted using abyss amulet found in shadow chests in the abyss and I discovered that 3rd layer darkness wasn't appearing when I was playing, because I had strange orb (which summons siren light pet) equipped.Lumenous amulet isn't only item which negates darkness, strange
orb also negates darkness from abyss' 3rd layer.

@moosegoose

Forgive me, as sometimes I'm a little slow, but I'm confused by your message. I didn't say I was exempt from criticism, and I didn't say the mod couldn't be judged.
Responded to the wrong message, meant to respond to Fabsol’s four principles.
[doublepost=1521733707,1521733660][/doublepost]
I don't really see what Moose and some others highlighted as a problem, that's all.

Once again, I am sticking to these principles:
1 - A mod is not professional work
2 - We are not being paid to work on mods
3 - We should not be held to any standard presented by any other mod
4 - Mods are for fun
This doesn’t exempt you from criticism.

Responded to the wrong message, meant to respond to Fabsol’s four principles.
[doublepost=1521733707,1521733660][/doublepost]
This doesn’t exempt you from criticism.

Your criticism was kinda poor though. You don't take into account that this is just a mod made for fun before you post :indifferent:

Your criticism was kinda poor though. You don't take into account that this is just a mod made for fun before you post :indifferent:
Again, because the mod is made for fun it doesn't exempt it from criticism of its general quality.
If a game is made for fun, it doesn't mean it can't get a negative review on say MetaCritic or whatever site reviews it.

Again, because the mod is made for fun it doesn't exempt it from criticism of its general quality.
If a game is made for fun, it doesn't mean it can't get a negative review on say MetaCritic or whatever site reviews it.

Seems I'll never get through to you no matter what I try to say/do :indifferent:

Well, have a nice day then, hopefully you can come back with a fresh attitude and like this mod at a latter date :happy:

It's not changing just because you pointed out something that doesn't need to change because it's not a problem.

You see problems, I don't, sorry.

Seems I'll never get through to you no matter what I try to say/do :indifferent:

Well, have a nice day then, hopefully you can come back with a fresh attitude and like this mod at a latter date :happy:

The same goes for you. No matter what criticism someone you're not a fan of offers, you will always deflect it with a shield. I've offered you on a silver platter a list of things that make your mod worse - but yknow, a mod is for fun, so uh...guess that makes it completely invalid.
Have a nice day, Fab. Reminder that you can't :red: about life - some videogames are harder.

The same goes for you. No matter what criticism someone you're not a fan of offers, you will always deflect it with a shield.
Have a nice day, Fab. Reminder that you can't :red: about life - some videogames are harder.

Wow, okay, you're clearly upset about something really insignificant.

Terraria has Betsy, Spirit has the Starbound enemies, I have the Ghost Leviathan that I named the Eidolon Wyrm, it's not a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom