tModLoader Calamity Mod

What would you like me to create more of?

• NPCs (enemies, house NPCs, etc.)

Votes: 1,170 19.5%
  • Bosses

Votes: 2,450 40.8%
  • Items (Accessories, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 1,581 26.3%
  • Vanity (furniture, armor sets, etc.)

Votes: 438 7.3%
  • Mineable Stuff (Ores, Blocks, etc.)

Votes: 372 6.2%

• Total voters
Not when we've rebalanced vanilla to fit with Calamity better. You can still see it as 'hypocritical' and a 'meme', but that to me seems ignorant and the point is now stagnant. We've put many weeks of work into rebalancing and testing the content. As it stands, I cannot take your statement seriously.
Well, I'm not sure if I can convince you otherwise and I'm sorry in advance. As it stands for me personally, you didn't exactly rebalance vanilla. You more so made vanilla fit more together with calamity in terms of style. Rebalance would not just mean "squeezing some bosses in between" - Because from my point of view Vanilla was already good as it was in that regard. We have a fluid armor progression in vanilla. Pre-hardmode that's basically: tin/copper to iron/lead to silver/tungsten to gold/platinum. From there on crimtane/shadow to molten. To put out the most generic progression path.

And if you review this path, there are no gaps in between. In fact, this is the most fluid progression you can get. Same goes for bosses, somewhat. In theory all you need is the eye, then EoW/BoC, Skeletron is somewhat optional, same goes for queen bee. Both can be defeated to access good loot which is helpful against the WoF. Between EoW/BoC and WoF you squeezed the Perforators/hivemind in between. And with that you also squeezed aerialite in between to make aerospec armor. Technically, aerospec is close enough to molten armor. But we also have statigel. So you also managed to squeeze statigel armor somewhat into the endgame. You require hellstone bars, so we at least don't miss out on that ore. Which is good. But on the other hand makes molten armor look unnecessary.

In my most recent calamity-only playthrough, my path was clear: Get rope and get wulfrum to get some basic armor and a good and fast pickaxe. Thanks to the wulfrum pickaxe I could skip any other pickaxe till deathbringer pickaxe, and the only armor necessary for me was platinum armor. So wulfrum made anything below Plat/Gold look useless. So I went ahead and killed the Brain of Cthulhu and got all the stuff I need for a deathbringer pickaxe. I also made myself some Victicide armor (do you call it that?) so I could go into the abyss and grab some end-earlygame weapons. successful, got Lionfish. so I had no use for any other weapon at this point. Killed the perforators in no time. Got aerospec armor. Got myself two obsidian skin potions and grabbed some hellstone. Thanks to lionfish I defeated the slime gods in no time. So I went ahead and got myself statigel armor. In this playthrough alone I skipped more vanilla content than necessary in normal mode. Defeated the WoF and went to hard mode.

First goal: Defeat cryogen. Donezo. Did so thrice for frost armor. Oh, a new NPC (Permafrost) who sells very powerful weapons. Wasn't in need of new weapons or armor till plantera in this regard. All I needed was better pickaxes to get mythril and then titanium so I could get mythril anvil and titanium forge. Got myself some Cryonic ore for Daedalus armor. Lasted me well past plantera. Perennial ore was therefor my next valuable armor set. No need for Chlorophyte or Hallowed armor. Defeated astrum aureus and astrum deus, and got myself some very decent weapons thanks to that and better armor. Got some chaotic ore from the abyss and made myself the best armor I can basically get till moonlord.

And this is how I skipped most of the vanilla content. What I want to say with that: Balancing is very hard if you deal with mods. Right now, squeezed content can cause that. Don't get me wrong, I love to use calamity armor for the reason that it just looks cooler. I mean, dayum, chaotic armor, gimme some of that. But if you truly want to balance vanilla into this mod, you have to tinker everything. Armor values, damage values, health values of enemies and bosses to a point where you end up with solar armor giving up to 150 armor instead of the 78 I believe, and moon lord in normal mode having almost twice the health and a bit extra damage, or wall of flesh being almost twice as strong. Stretching out the gameplay in other terms where it becomes necessary to defeat all the bosses in hard mode and normal mode and where the obtainment of all the armor becomes a "necessity" - I call that softly forcing the player to use everything.

But don't worry about this. It really is just my personal view and shouldn't really be taken too seriously. I just like to get critical sometimes. I still love your mod as it is. :) Again, thank you and your team for that.

Edit: Uhm... sorry for the wall of text. No pun intended.

I have found that the Lul accessory is a bit annoying due to the no more than one NPC and the player has to be named Fabsol. I can understand the second part of that but the first part seems a bit broken.

Also, have you considered adding developer vanity sets?

How come all the throwing weapons in this mod because rogue weapons? Wouldn't that cause issues with other mods' throwing weapons, meaning you couldn't mix and match them without having the full benefits of both from damage bonuses and such? I get the impression that would just make things a lot more complex and mess up running multiple mods with new throwing weapons.

Well, if they changed it then they should be sure about what they're doing. Why would they change something so small only to make it worse?

At the very least, mods like "Classes and Experience" doesn't work any more with the new "Rogue" weapons. I got a nasty surprise when my character's damage dropped to a third of what it did.

Also, the new prefixes from Joost Mod doesn't work with Rogue weapons. I'm talking about the specialized "Gnunderson's" prefix that add 6% extra damage to throwing weapons.

Why was the Rogue damage type added?

I agree with this as well, why was it added? I was starting a new throwing playthrough but with the calamity throwing weapons now being rouge damage, it is now making me only use calamity accessories and armor because anything that would help throwing damage no longer applies to those weapons. I just dont see the point of it besides adding a new obscure damage type to the game that only has support from the mod itself. Even then, the support is very small. The first accessory is after killing BOC/EOW, the second is after WOF, the third is after Plantara, and the last two are after DOG! Going that long with very minimal accessories to help you and only relying on your armor just doesnt seem reasonable.

What exactly is the point of the Rogue damage type? It was fine as throwing, and all that the change does is prevent the use of other mods' (and what little there is in vanilla) weapons, buffs, armor, and accessories. Is that the intent? To decompatibilize the consumer into effective monopoly like Apple does? Sorry if this comes off as a personal attack, but other people have been asking this, and nobody seems to have an answer.

From what I understand, "throwing code is ugly, rogue isn't". That's the only thing I got.

Wouldn't it then be wise to change throwing entirely to rogue and rework the code that way? Or making it Melee? Correct me if I'm wrong but if we get a class, it needs significance, attention and content. We could view it has a hardcore class, but the viability is limited in that regard. Don't take me the wrong way and don't be insulted if I say that, but that is one of the few flaws in this mod. If we create something, we need to make sure to encourage the player to make use of that. Otherwise this content is basically wasted because no one except for fanatics are going to make use of that. As I like to say it, that's additional code that could be used for other things.

I did make a thrower class playthrough and it worked out semi-well. It was challenging and I agree kinda fun. But the recent change made this a little more difficult to a point where I stopped at Plantera.

In other words, a class needs to be fluid. Something like Melee barely has any gaps in between. Thrower or now Rogue does. If we manage to fill those gaps, give more equipment dedicated to it and keep it on par with all the other classes and don't make dual-class weapons, then we can see it as a functional addition to Calamity and it would be fun playing this class. Giving the option of 2 boomerangs with one being melee and the other being rogue, which one are you more likely to use? The versatility of Melee is far more varied than Rogue, so if we make a rogue class viable, let's make all the weapons for it actually exclusive: Daggers, Shurikens, darts, boomerangs... That kind of stuff.

Again, no offense towards the mod.

Not when we've rebalanced vanilla to fit with Calamity better. You can still see it as 'hypocritical' and a 'meme', but that to me seems ignorant and the point is now stagnant. We've put many weeks of work into rebalancing and testing the content. As it stands, I cannot take your statement seriously.

I've criticized vanilla's difficulty for a very long time ranging from the doubled expert debuff lengths, increased pillar enemy kill count on expert, etc. At least my team and I are trying to fix things a majority of people dislike.

And besides, I wasn't criticizing it here, I was merely saying that Expert and Normal are for all intents and purposes far easier than Revengeance and Death Mode.

I wish I could tell you the true reason for it.

Rogue class cons:
  • Throwing damage already exists
  • Not fully supported/gaps in the progression
  • Prevents use of other mods' weapons, buffs, armor, accessories, and prefixes
  • Prevents use of vanilla weapons and armor
  • Multiple weapons in it have direct copies that deal another damage type
Rogue class pros:
  • The code is neater(?)
  • "I'd like to tell you, but I'm not allowed to" ~Mod's owner
Fabsol, if anyone can tell us why this design choice was made, it should be you, but you just said you can't. Can you at least tell us why you can't tell us?

Rogue class cons:
  • Throwing damage already exists
  • Not fully supported/gaps in the progression
  • Prevents use of other mods' weapons, buffs, armor, accessories, and prefixes
  • Prevents use of vanilla weapons and armor
  • Multiple weapons in it have direct copies that deal another damage type
Rogue class pros:
  • The code is neater(?)
  • "I'd like to tell you, but I'm not allowed to" ~Mod's owner
Fabsol, if anyone can tell us why this design choice was made, it should be you, but you just said you can't. Can you at least tell us why you can't tell us?

People could get fired from their jobs if I told you, so I'd rather not.

Well, I'm not sure if I can convince you otherwise and I'm sorry in advance. As it stands for me personally, you didn't exactly rebalance vanilla. You more so made vanilla fit more together with calamity in terms of style. Rebalance would not just mean "squeezing some bosses in between" - Because from my point of view Vanilla was already good as it was in that regard. We have a fluid armor progression in vanilla. Pre-hardmode that's basically: tin/copper to iron/lead to silver/tungsten to gold/platinum. From there on crimtane/shadow to molten. To put out the most generic progression path.

And if you review this path, there are no gaps in between. In fact, this is the most fluid progression you can get. Same goes for bosses, somewhat. In theory all you need is the eye, then EoW/BoC, Skeletron is somewhat optional, same goes for queen bee. Both can be defeated to access good loot which is helpful against the WoF. Between EoW/BoC and WoF you squeezed the Perforators/hivemind in between. And with that you also squeezed aerialite in between to make aerospec armor. Technically, aerospec is close enough to molten armor. But we also have statigel. So you also managed to squeeze statigel armor somewhat into the endgame. You require hellstone bars, so we at least don't miss out on that ore. Which is good. But on the other hand makes molten armor look unnecessary.

In my most recent calamity-only playthrough, my path was clear: Get rope and get wulfrum to get some basic armor and a good and fast pickaxe. Thanks to the wulfrum pickaxe I could skip any other pickaxe till deathbringer pickaxe, and the only armor necessary for me was platinum armor. So wulfrum made anything below Plat/Gold look useless. So I went ahead and killed the Brain of Cthulhu and got all the stuff I need for a deathbringer pickaxe. I also made myself some Victicide armor (do you call it that?) so I could go into the abyss and grab some end-earlygame weapons. successful, got Lionfish. so I had no use for any other weapon at this point. Killed the perforators in no time. Got aerospec armor. Got myself two obsidian skin potions and grabbed some hellstone. Thanks to lionfish I defeated the slime gods in no time. So I went ahead and got myself statigel armor. In this playthrough alone I skipped more vanilla content than necessary in normal mode. Defeated the WoF and went to hard mode.

First goal: Defeat cryogen. Donezo. Did so thrice for frost armor. Oh, a new NPC (Permafrost) who sells very powerful weapons. Wasn't in need of new weapons or armor till plantera in this regard. All I needed was better pickaxes to get mythril and then titanium so I could get mythril anvil and titanium forge. Got myself some Cryonic ore for Daedalus armor. Lasted me well past plantera. Perennial ore was therefor my next valuable armor set. No need for Chlorophyte or Hallowed armor. Defeated astrum aureus and astrum deus, and got myself some very decent weapons thanks to that and better armor. Got some chaotic ore from the abyss and made myself the best armor I can basically get till moonlord.

And this is how I skipped most of the vanilla content. What I want to say with that: Balancing is very hard if you deal with mods. Right now, squeezed content can cause that. Don't get me wrong, I love to use calamity armor for the reason that it just looks cooler. I mean, dayum, chaotic armor, gimme some of that. But if you truly want to balance vanilla into this mod, you have to tinker everything. Armor values, damage values, health values of enemies and bosses to a point where you end up with solar armor giving up to 150 armor instead of the 78 I believe, and moon lord in normal mode having almost twice the health and a bit extra damage, or wall of flesh being almost twice as strong. Stretching out the gameplay in other terms where it becomes necessary to defeat all the bosses in hard mode and normal mode and where the obtainment of all the armor becomes a "necessity" - I call that softly forcing the player to use everything.

But don't worry about this. It really is just my personal view and shouldn't really be taken too seriously. I just like to get critical sometimes. I still love your mod as it is. :) Again, thank you and your team for that.

Edit: Uhm... sorry for the wall of text. No pun intended.

Well it's based on opinions I suppose, I dislike vanilla progression for a few reasons. And keep in mind, just like you, these are my opinions, I don't want to aggravate anyone.

1 - To us the early ore armors take tediously long to get and give minimal bonuses for their time investment.
2 - Reaver Shark can be used to skip almost all the ore gathering to go straight to molten (does this require skill? Sure, but that doesn't excuse it in my opinion).
3 - Meteor Armor and Space Gun combo is pretty crazy due to it not costing any mana and can be obtained very early with just some bombs.
4 - Molten Armor can be acquired before Slime God with the Reaver Shark, making it far more powerful than you say. Statigel is only acquired post-Slime God.
5 - Wulfrum Pickaxe is intended to be that way because I haven't found too many people that like using a ton of time mining early on (especially not in modded).
6 - You need to kill Skeletron to get the Lionfish due to shadow chests containing the items (you didn't say that here).
7 - Titanium Armor is so OP it can last well into post-Golem due to the Shadow Dodge (not exactly the most balanced thing out there in vanilla).
8 - I can skip most of the vanilla content as well if I just play vanilla itself, that's my point with the above. Meteor Armor + Space Gun can last until Wall of Flesh easily and you can get it right after a single Shadow Orb. Next I can skip almost all the hardmode ore mining with fishing (yes, this is a bit of a meme in vanilla but it exists) by stacking up crates and opening them in hardmode, this leads to extremely easy early mech kills and if you have titanium armor easy plantera and golem kills.
9 - I don't want to keep going on and on, but the Minishark (and to a lesser extent, the Megashark) and Daedalus Stormbow need no explanation. The Crystal Bullets and Holy Arrows also need no explanation for how busted they can be with multi-arrow bows or fast-firing guns. I'll end this list here.

All I'm trying to say is vanilla has a ton of imbalance as well, and we're trying to 'fix' that. Sure Calamity has powerful things as well, as you said, but I don't want to have to bring up how Spectre Armor lets you tank everything with heals (even after the nerf) and Beetle plus high DR allows you to take 1 damage from everything.

Sorry if this was a bit much, I love this game and I want it to just be more balanced (more weapons that are more powerful and useful, less weak ones) less linearity and more open-world, just like prehardmode.

5b2.gif

1 - To us the early ore armors take tediously long to get and give minimal bonuses for their time investment.
That actually is true. For which I find the addition of planetoids to be a good idea. Props to the developer team for that idea. But may I also suggest something regarding planetoids? I'm not one for realism. But to make the obtainment for those huge ore veins a bit more difficult, it would maybe be a great idea to add some kind of oxygen bar in the space layer. And you can make a space helmet out of 10 tungsten/silver bars and 10 hardened glass (need 1 bone for 10 hardened glass, as far as I remember bones also drop from skeletons in the underground. if not, then forget this idea) at an anvil to stop that air loss. Right now all I need to do is run into one direction, slice open pots, get tons of ropes and profit from the planetoids with some platforms. It's just an idea. I could also see this being annoying. Of course. ^^ It's just a small idea.

2 - Reaver Shark can be used to skip almost all the ore gathering to go straight to molten (does this require skill? Sure, but that doesn't excuse it in my opinion).
That's true. I agree with you there. Perhaps both investment in time and skill do somewhat balance that out. It's the same with the crystal serpent. It took me ages to get one, in the end I could have used that time to go straight for cobalt mining. But I get you. I really do. Perhaps that guy also needs some balancing. Perhaps a special pickaxe that goes 3 times faster when submerged in liquid but with 95% pickaxe power? Just an idea. Could perhaps help though in the abyss as the abyss is just liquid and fast and strong pickaxes would be really great here.

3 - Meteor Armor and Space Gun combo is pretty crazy due to it not costing any mana and can be obtained very early with just some bombs.
+1 - I agree. In my opinion though the meteorite armor only synergizes with the space gun. I wish it would do the same for the phase blade as well. Perhaps you could think up something?

4 - Molten Armor can be acquired before Slime God with the Reaver Shark, making it far more powerful than you say. Statigel is only acquired post-Slime God.
To be honest I kinda preferred to use aerospec armor for the slime gods. To be honest I also cheese the slime gods by killing them in the ocean with water walking potion. Try that out, it works very damn well. While molten armor gives more armor, it also only gives benefits for melee. Good benefits, +17% damage is really good. Wish it would also have counter parts for ranged, summon and magic. I would use a ranged molten armor. But that's personal preference.

5 - Wulfrum Pickaxe is intended to be that way because I haven't found too many people that like using a ton of time mining early on (especially not in modded).
Now that we have planetoids, this isn't exactly too much of a problem anymore. Wulfrum armor is neat, so are the tools. Nice for early-game building. I like to refer to my first line again with the space helmet and the planetoids though. Actually, you know what you could maybe do? Give the other pickaxes a bit more popularity by making them mine 4 blocks at once instead of 1. Would come in handy for hellevators. Or generally mining. It's just a thought again, but their slowness could be compensated that way. Or perhaps include a new pickaxe into the starter bag. that mines faster than copper.

6 - You need to kill Skeletron to get the Lionfish due to shadow chests containing the items (you didn't say that here).
Yeah, I realized that after I posted it. Then I forgot to edit. Sorry, my fault. ._. xD But that's true. But the abyss gives some top-tier weapons. Which serve very well into hard mode. Heh. Which is good. But perhaps also a little bad? Not too sure about it to be honest.

7 - Titanium Armor is so OP it can last well into post-Golem due to the Shadow Dodge (not exactly the most balanced thing out there in vanilla).
I found that out as well, yeah. Perhaps exchange that for something that gives you +5 armor when at 33% health? Not sure how useful that would be. But it would be more balanced. But frost armor right off the bat is kinda... yeah. It takes a bit of the progression away. In my eyes. I mean I love mining. For some reason. Perhaps I just like the calm depths of the ground with vicious worms, man-eating plants and skin-melting lava.

To point 8 I can say, I agree for a good bunch of that. I never made use of the mentioned things except for space armor/space gun combo. Never got reaver shark and I really never got to fishing except for crystal serpent once.

If anything... Over the course of the development you've introduced a ton of content that makes the farming a lot easier. Planetoids, special resources, Cryogen... Basically it didn't stretch any of the parts. It made it shorter in a sense. What took me 40 hours in vanilla (reaching and beating moonlord) only took me about 15 to 20 hours in calamity. I think. I play too much and usually delete my characters regularily. I'm just sort of looking towards an update that doesn't make terraria and calamity annoying again, but still manages to stretch out the gameplay of calamity before moon lord. Obviously, the focus lies beyond moon lord. Because that's what this mod originally intended to do I assume.

What I'm saying is that calamity is great and almost perfect as far as mods go, giving new modes, difficulties, awesome mechanics and very well done boss fights and content beyond moon lord. One of the few issues being that the early mode is cramped up and everything beyond that (moon lord) has that well-made stretch. If you catch my point. I could write hours about it but I guess in this regard I'm better off just chatting or something about it. Would make communication about that a lot easier.

Sorry again for the wall of text, can't stop to go into details. ._.

Best regards ~

Sounds like something really massive and special is coming related to this new damage type. Guess we'll just have to wait it out and see.
But wait hold is, is MONEY and paid work seriously involved here? Or was that just a choice of words?

Considering how Calamity surpasses the artstyle (and to an extent, gameplay) used by the base game, I wouldn't find it too far fetched.
For now that, alteast Fasbol is communicating on the TCF so that's a plus to be had.

That actually is true. For which I find the addition of planetoids to be a good idea. Props to the developer team for that idea. But may I also suggest something regarding planetoids? I'm not one for realism. But to make the obtainment for those huge ore veins a bit more difficult, it would maybe be a great idea to add some kind of oxygen bar in the space layer. And you can make a space helmet out of 10 tungsten/silver bars and 10 hardened glass (need 1 bone for 10 hardened glass, as far as I remember bones also drop from skeletons in the underground. if not, then forget this idea) at an anvil to stop that air loss. Right now all I need to do is run into one direction, slice open pots, get tons of ropes and profit from the planetoids with some platforms. It's just an idea. I could also see this being annoying. Of course. ^^ It's just a small idea.

That's true. I agree with you there. Perhaps both investment in time and skill do somewhat balance that out. It's the same with the crystal serpent. It took me ages to get one, in the end I could have used that time to go straight for cobalt mining. But I get you. I really do. Perhaps that guy also needs some balancing. Perhaps a special pickaxe that goes 3 times faster when submerged in liquid but with 95% pickaxe power? Just an idea. Could perhaps help though in the abyss as the abyss is just liquid and fast and strong pickaxes would be really great here.

+1 - I agree. In my opinion though the meteorite armor only synergizes with the space gun. I wish it would do the same for the phase blade as well. Perhaps you could think up something?

To be honest I kinda preferred to use aerospec armor for the slime gods. To be honest I also cheese the slime gods by killing them in the ocean with water walking potion. Try that out, it works very damn well. While molten armor gives more armor, it also only gives benefits for melee. Good benefits, +17% damage is really good. Wish it would also have counter parts for ranged, summon and magic. I would use a ranged molten armor. But that's personal preference.

Now that we have planetoids, this isn't exactly too much of a problem anymore. Wulfrum armor is neat, so are the tools. Nice for early-game building. I like to refer to my first line again with the space helmet and the planetoids though. Actually, you know what you could maybe do? Give the other pickaxes a bit more popularity by making them mine 4 blocks at once instead of 1. Would come in handy for hellevators. Or generally mining. It's just a thought again, but their slowness could be compensated that way. Or perhaps include a new pickaxe into the starter bag. that mines faster than copper.

Yeah, I realized that after I posted it. Then I forgot to edit. Sorry, my fault. ._. xD But that's true. But the abyss gives some top-tier weapons. Which serve very well into hard mode. Heh. Which is good. But perhaps also a little bad? Not too sure about it to be honest.

I found that out as well, yeah. Perhaps exchange that for something that gives you +5 armor when at 33% health? Not sure how useful that would be. But it would be more balanced. But frost armor right off the bat is kinda... yeah. It takes a bit of the progression away. In my eyes. I mean I love mining. For some reason. Perhaps I just like the calm depths of the ground with vicious worms, man-eating plants and skin-melting lava.

To point 8 I can say, I agree for a good bunch of that. I never made use of the mentioned things except for space armor/space gun combo. Never got reaver shark and I really never got to fishing except for crystal serpent once.

If anything... Over the course of the development you've introduced a ton of content that makes the farming a lot easier. Planetoids, special resources, Cryogen... Basically it didn't stretch any of the parts. It made it shorter in a sense. What took me 40 hours in vanilla (reaching and beating moonlord) only took me about 15 to 20 hours in calamity. I think. I play too much and usually delete my characters regularily. I'm just sort of looking towards an update that doesn't make terraria and calamity annoying again, but still manages to stretch out the gameplay of calamity before moon lord. Obviously, the focus lies beyond moon lord. Because that's what this mod originally intended to do I assume.

What I'm saying is that calamity is great and almost perfect as far as mods go, giving new modes, difficulties, awesome mechanics and very well done boss fights and content beyond moon lord. One of the few issues being that the early mode is cramped up and everything beyond that (moon lord) has that well-made stretch. If you catch my point. I could write hours about it but I guess in this regard I'm better off just chatting or something about it. Would make communication about that a lot easier.

Sorry again for the wall of text, can't stop to go into details. ._.

Best regards ~

Yeah I didn't mean to sound so argumentative there. But I just wanted to point out how vanilla does a lot of weird stuff, and I'm also not sure whether to be happy about it or not actually. It gives players options to either blast through the game really fast or not, but again I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Calamity also gives ore armors way more meaning by giving them extra mining boosts (gold armor increases mining speed by 45% for example).

Calamity also makes the meteor armor only reduce Space Gun mana usage by 50% instead of making it cost zero mana.

Aerospec armor also requires a Hive Mind/Perforator kill whereas Molten does not (with Reaver Shark), but I do see your point.

The Abyss is also a very harsh biome with a harsh biome (Sulphur) above it as well, it's meant to be similar to the Underworld but even more dangerous, so I feel having post-Skeletron powerful weapons down there is good.

Calamity also adjusts Titanium Armor so it's not as OP as in vanilla, but it's still really good. I can't recall exactly but I'm pretty sure it makes the Shadow Dodge buff length a lot shorter so you have to really choose when to use it instead of it just being a free dodge with a ton of immunity frames.

And thanks, glad you like the mod despite the problems that can arise from having so much content (they could be problems or not depending on the type of person you're talking to).

And yeah, I need to be honest here. My attempts to speed up mining and progression stem from me having around 7600 hours in this game, about 1000 in vanilla and 6500 modded. I dislike the slow pacing of the start of the vanilla game and the start of hardmode so I aimed to make it a bit faster paced. Couple that with the ability to fight any hardmode boss whenever you want in hardmode Calamity, even the Cultist, and you could potentially speed run to Moon Lord very quickly, which was my goal.

I honestly can't play without Calamity now, and we have Thorium support in mind later on once we have most of the content sorted out, so that'll be something to look forward to.

Sounds like something really massive and special is coming related to this new damage type. Guess we'll just have to wait it out and see.
But wait hold is, is MONEY and paid work seriously involved here? Or was that just a choice of words?

Considering how Calamity surpasses the artstyle (and to an extent, gameplay) used by the base game, I wouldn't find it too far fetched.
For now that, alteast Fasbol is communicating on the TCF so that's a plus to be had.

Yeah the reason I have to keep it hushed is due to potentially massive problems arising (the job loss I talked about earlier) if I were to tell the public about it.

I just hope you guys can trust me here, we'll let you all know the proper reason for rogue in the future. It makes me very very very damn angry that I can't tell the public about it, believe me.

Honestly, Vanilla has it's own artificial stretch. You really need to mine a lot. And with the added fact that things like Titanium/Adamantite don't spawn in too high quantities, you are forced to stretch out your journey to the top with inventories filled with stone and dirt. Or you go fishing, of course. While that is great and all, I get your point. You want action, you want to actively do something and fight. So do I to be honest. And that's what makes calamity special in it's own way.

If I may make a suggestion there... Take your mod to a whole new level. You want to make a more action and combat centered mod, which gives your mod a significant advantage compared to both other mods and vanilla. so perhaps what you maybe want to do is rework the dungeon to give you a path to hell directly. I don't know if that is possible. Or any other path really. Maybe an ancient hellevator that can spawn randomly on the surface which leads to hell. Without any mining, that is. Create 2 new bosses. One for pre-hard mode that can drop the pre-hard mode ores in decent quantities. And one for C-P/M-O/T-A which can be fought before the mechanical bosses for decent chances for said ores. Make the bosses that unlock ores also drop a bit of the respective resource spawn, so you can get a fair boost upon doing so. Re-balance the vanilla and mod bosses a bit so you can have a bigger curve (and the said longer stretch) but also give the opportunity to rush through the game maybe through a new game mode? Maybe being enabled by default but can be disabled for those who want to take a chill playthrough or just like spending their time with all the bosses more. Having to collect something like boss-souls in order to summon the WoF as example - this as a separate mode would probably be cool in a way.

If you catch my point, this would allow you to play calamity fast and efficiently without a lot of mining. Of course, some still needs to exist. Because that is what Terraria is still about. But if you manage to make your mod truly combat centered, I believe you can raise the popularity beyond what it already is. I have never done marketing or modding but I believe that's what would happen. No need to do that of course. Just a thought

Also, aren't you the owner of the mod? Or was the ownership forwarded? Sorry if I'm sounding undereducated here. :D

Yeah I didn't mean to sound so argumentative there. But I just wanted to point out how vanilla does a lot of weird stuff, and I'm also not sure whether to be happy about it or not actually. It gives players options to either blast through the game really fast or not, but again I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Calamity also gives ore armors way more meaning by giving them extra mining boosts (gold armor increases mining speed by 45% for example).

Calamity also makes the meteor armor only reduce Space Gun mana usage by 50% instead of making it cost zero mana.

Aerospec armor also requires a Hive Mind/Perforator kill whereas Molten does not (with Reaver Shark), but I do see your point.

The Abyss is also a very harsh biome with a harsh biome (Sulphur) above it as well, it's meant to be similar to the Underworld but even more dangerous, so I feel having post-Skeletron powerful weapons down there is good.

Calamity also adjusts Titanium Armor so it's not as OP as in vanilla, but it's still really good. I can't recall exactly but I'm pretty sure it makes the Shadow Dodge buff length a lot shorter so you have to really choose when to use it instead of it just being a free dodge with a ton of immunity frames.

And thanks, glad you like the mod despite the problems that can arise from having so much content (they could be problems or not depending on the type of person you're talking to).

And yeah, I need to be honest here. My attempts to speed up mining and progression stem from me having around 7600 hours in this game, about 1000 in vanilla and 6500 modded. I dislike the slow pacing of the start of the vanilla game and the start of hardmode so I aimed to make it a bit faster paced. Couple that with the ability to fight any hardmode boss whenever you want in hardmode Calamity, even the Cultist, and you could potentially speed run to Moon Lord very quickly, which was my goal.

I honestly can't play without Calamity now, and we have Thorium support in mind later on once we have most of the content sorted out, so that'll be something to look forward to.

Yeah the reason I have to keep it hushed is due to potentially massive problems arising (the job loss I talked about earlier) if I were to tell the public about it.

I just hope you guys can trust me here, we'll let you all know the proper reason for rogue in the future. It makes me very very very damn angry that I can't tell the public about it, believe me.

We do trust you dude. You can bet we are all very curious about it though. But for now, I'm sure the majority of players can go on trust.

I wouldn't say it's Calamity's gear that out shines the base game as much as *all modded gear* does
I've found thorium gear to be completely viable against calamity bosses, acquired around the same time too.

About the future:
The fact your here, throwing all this insight at people who were once looking down at your absence is enough to trust you know where your taking Calamity, which is awesome!
Like I said, we'll all find out in due time. Calamity has yet to deliver the finale and reach completion, only then will awsners be told...

So..... I have a long message. Okay? This message is a idea/concept for end game bosses in terraria calamity. Hope this is where I should say all this....

-YHARIM BATTLE:
you should not be able to battle yharim before defeating, Providence, Signus, Draedon, Duke Fishron, Cryogen, and a crazy abyss monster boss thingy (As well as having the permafrost NPC alive).

Now this might sound like a strange selection of bosses, but here is the logic; All of these bosses relate to one of yharim's enemies.
-Providence because yharim attacked it and its still alive
-Signus because that's what killed statis
-Draedon because that's what killed braelor (In a sense, since one of DRAEDON's mechs is what killed braelor)
-Duke fishron because (This ones more complicated) adimias, who I imagine to be watching from the abyss, sees that your strong enough to beat duke fishron (Amidias' companion) finds you to be helpful
-A crazy abyss monster boss thingy ( I will give some ideas for it next) because that's where silva was thrown after its death, into the abyss.
-Permafrost because he was imprisoned in his own ice castle by yharim

Abyss Monster: Something strong maybe even a boss! Like a jellyfish thing would be cool

Now I would include Daedalus, but he is long dead and I feel like he is less useful in the story/lore thing.
Note: Every time you beat one of the specified bosses the status message would show saying something like "The power of (Person's name Ex: Adimias) has blessed you"

I know it still only makes some sense, so this what I'm leading to:
-During the yharim battle there will be 3 special stages, that occur at certain levels of his health.
-Stage 1 would be yharim creating a blue shield around himself, this shield makes yharim become invincible, until you select the HOTKEY THAT YOU SET UP IN THE KEYBINDINGS AREA (Called "Transform" or something). When you click this hotkey you will, well, transform into Amidias, (if there is a boxed in arena, fill it with water so its like amidias needs it to breathe) you can then use its attacks for take down the shield that yharim has. (You would not be doing damage to yharim himself but to his shield, until it breaks). Once the shield is broken you are force transformed back to your normal characters form to take down actual yharims health a bit.
-stage 2 would be yharim creating a Red shield around himself, this shield makes yharim become invincible, until you select the Same hotkey as last time, and you are transformed into Statis/Braelor/Silva. your hotbar would be replaced by 3 different weapons 1 is a special throwing damage weapon, that is from statis (When you hold it your vanity armor also changes to Statis vanity armor, which looks exactly as statis would (Also dyes would be removed). Another weapon is a melee weapon, that is from braelor (When you hold it your vanity armor also changes to braelor vanity armor, which looks exactly as braelor would (Also dyes would be removed). And the last one is a ranged weapon, which will follow the same rules as the last two.
essentially you get 3 transforms of EQUAL POWER SOMEWHAT. Depending on your accessories you may choose to use a different, of the 3 weapons. (The whole inventory would disappear so there is no cheating) Don't be worried though, all the things on your normal character will come back as you are forced transformed back to normal at the end of yharims red shield stage.
-Stage 3 would be yharim creating a Yellow shield around himself, this shield makes yharim become invincible, until you select the Same hotkey as last time, and you are transformed into FREAKING PROVIDENCE! While you are providence you can use some of providence's attacks DISCLAIMER: To use any of the attacks available you must be not moving. 1-Lazar beam thing that providence does (Requires mana like the last prism) 2-The yellow and green fireball thing that providence does 3-The move where providence rapidly shoots fireballs in a straight line. (IDK how this would work, probably something like taking the providence texture and putting it over your character and giving you char the effect you get from the vortex pillar that makes you float all weird (so you fly like providence) and then putting 3 items in your inventory that make providence's attacks.)

Now, now, now I know this is like the most coding intense thing ever, and would probably crash so many peoples games, but it would be so so so so cool! Amazing for the final, or second to final (counting xeroc as after yharim) battle.
Also notice the shields that yharim would create match the colors of his armor, so it matches real great already.

Speaking of xeroc, here is a concept:

As soon as the xeroc battle starts the world begins to "erase" or make blocks start turning to unloaded blocks (Fake unloaded blocks if needed) and as this happens xeroc, through the chat, starts talking to you about how he is not happy with the world anymore, and what it has become so he wants to get rid of it. the unloaded blocks are basically pointless in terms of the battle except looking SICK but if you lose the battle the unloaded blocks will stay, until you beat xeroc. The actual battle could be whatever (I can't think of anything right now), but the world would just be erasing, rapidly! Once you win though, xeroc should blow up into like a million colors (Like that boss from either the thorium or tremor mod, where they blow up into colors and stuff when killed). once done blowing up, you would have the moonlord effect where the screen goes white and you cant see for a second. As this happens all the unloaded blocks are restored AND two new awesome biomes spawn in The Xe Biome and The Rock Biome. (Also Xeroc drops Xerocian Souls). The Xe, and Roc Biomes are new planetoids that spawn in the sky and have custom music and backgrounds (the music is the same for both biomes). The Roc Planetoid is Made of ROCS (not to be confused with the rock item that drops from boss rush). The Xe Biome is made of XE which looks like meld bars but transparent like glass. With 16 Rocks you can make ROCIAN BARS (pronounced Rockian) and with 16 Xe You can Make XEIEN BARS (Pronouced Zey-een if Xeroc is pronounced Zerock) With Xe Bars and Roc Bars you can make upgrades to previous weapons (such as the ark of the cosmos) but if you combine Xe Bars and Roc Bars with Xerocian Essence, you get XEROCIAN BARS, Which are used to make weapons that are Crazy Strong. Also A twist for Revengeance/Death Mode could be some of your weapons erasing, forcing you to use other ones, and get the battle done quick as possible. when you win the xeroc battle he'll feel defeated and say how his own creation has exceeded his own power, and he went too far with it. if you lose he'll say something like, "None would ever be mighty enough to obliterate the creator of the world in which it lives"

But remember this is all just an idea, as cool as I think it would be with what usually happens none of this will get added to the game (Especially since it would all probably be pretty hard to code). If you don't use anything, sorry for wasting your time by reading this, but hope you like it anyway! :) (Plz, reply if you think any of this is useful) Sorry for any typos, didn't read over it. :p

Still think about add more bosses?
could suggest some things which would be adding new waifus elementals one would be so well post moon lord which would be
elementary void (or darkness elemental)
This voluptuous waifu would be thought to face it after Yharim or calamitas supreme to invoke would require materials from the bottom of the abyss (until the end of the abyss) or could be found as a friendly or neutral npc at the bottom of the abyss that does not attack until the attacks or your challenge to her, this would help to make difficult as a difficult boss in addition to giving insentivos to explore the abyss to the deepest part, the materials that waifu would serve to create weapons, 1 armors one with different helmets for different classes, 1 wings, 2 a special materials to create your set of armor and weapons but how well it serves to create furniture and blocks with thematic powers of darkness and mystery.
the lore of elemental void would be that after defeating the wall of flesh and supreme calamity the dark residual power that was released during the battles took form and mind of its own.
The second waifu and chief would be elemental light which is designed to fight after killing the wall of flesh and can be invoked with an object created with clouds and souls of light as well gives objects to create weapons, tools, an armor with different helmets for classes and blocks to create furniture with celestial themes.

The second suggestion to add things of vanity and furniture would be.
1-New potions of metamorphosis which allow you to transform your character into a humanoid or anthropomorphic version of the bosses and some enemies of the mod (so if you want you could add metamorphosis potions of vanilla creatures), a potion that returns to normality to your character in case you want to return the normal appearance of your character.
2-Other potions of metamorphosis waifu version like the others only that these transform your character into a sexy female version and waifu of the creature.
they are created just like the normal metamorphosis potions that only need a quantity of "waifu essence" that is obtained from some enemies and the elemental waifus.
3-new blocks that serve to create furniture and decorative objects (and wings) that can be created with the elemental essences, incluide the essence of calamitas essence which would have thematic of furniture and blocks made of the materials of which it is made calamitous,
4-The same of the blocks of essences only so well the brothers of calamitous so well would release their own essence and the blocks of these essences would have the theme of being made of the material of their brothers.
5-One new npc sheller of furniture incluide others stores of moder furniture, futuristic furniture, mediaval and fantasy furniture.

Still think about add more bosses?
could suggest some things which would be adding new waifus elementals one would be so well post moon lord which would be
elementary void (or darkness elemental)
This voluptuous waifu would be thought to face it after Yharim or calamitas supreme to invoke would require materials from the bottom of the abyss (until the end of the abyss) or could be found as a friendly or neutral npc at the bottom of the abyss that does not attack until the attacks or your challenge to her, this would help to make difficult as a difficult boss in addition to giving insentivos to explore the abyss to the deepest part, the materials that waifu would serve to create weapons, 1 armors one with different helmets for different classes, 1 wings, 2 a special materials to create your set of armor and weapons but how well it serves to create furniture and blocks with thematic powers of darkness and mystery.
the lore of elemental void would be that after defeating the wall of flesh and supreme calamity the dark residual power that was released during the battles took form and mind of its own.
The second waifu and chief would be elemental light which is designed to fight after killing the wall of flesh and can be invoked with an object created with clouds and souls of light as well gives objects to create weapons, tools, an armor with different helmets for classes and blocks to create furniture with celestial themes.
There are bosses planned and they're not accepting boss suggestions or new waifu suggestions.

Hey, I am just curious; since the update I have been having issues running Calamity, it all comes down to RAM allocation, I believe. I can post my computer specs, but I don't think my computer being incapable is the issue.. any tips on how I can fix this?
"Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
at CalamityMod.CalamityWorld.ExpandWorld(GenerationProgress progress)
at Terraria.GameContent.Generation.PassLegacy.Apply(GenerationProgress progress)
at Terraria.World.Generation.WorldGenerator.GenerateWorld(GenerationProgress progress)
at Terraria.WorldGen.generateWorld(Int32 seed, GenerationProgress customProgressObject)
at Terraria.WorldGen.do_worldGenCallBack(Object threadContext)
at Terraria.WorldGen.worldGenCallBack(Object threadContext)"

why why why the :redspin: do you have to nerf the stellar striker???
it's so balanced and grinding-free at first!
i mean, it's no good
against the devourer, and it does the the same job as Genisis for providence, except being melee...
now it's just garbage, like every other decent melee weapon of the past; biome blade(now post orichalcum and since by the time you got that thing you should have very good melee weapons, elemental lance which is useless against prov or devourer, and various other melee weapons )
look, it used to be 6 beams, then you've nerfed it to 2, and that's ok, but 1??? 1???
and since the tooltip says a 'swarm' of projectiles it now also need a rework of the tooltip...

I’m very sorry for the rudeness, but in my opinion this heavily unbalanced and makes providence only beatable with a coldheart, which isn’t very fun to use whatsoever.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom