tModLoader Calamity Mod

What would you like me to create more of?

• NPCs (enemies, house NPCs, etc.)

Votes: 1,170 19.5%
  • Bosses

Votes: 2,449 40.8%
  • Items (Accessories, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 1,580 26.3%
  • Vanity (furniture, armor sets, etc.)

Votes: 437 7.3%
  • Mineable Stuff (Ores, Blocks, etc.)

Votes: 372 6.2%

• Total voters
Created an account to say this:

Your mod is fantastic. I picked it up after reading some pretty sterling recommendations from it on the Terraria reddit the other day. I suspect a lot of people downloaded it after reading about it there and it is certainly going to pick up in popularity as word of mouth spreads the news of how great it is. That being said, more people will always bring more points of view to the table which will always lead to some arguments. It is a lot easier to say than to do, but try not to let it get to you. People tend to argue about the things they care about, so every time you see people caps locking at each other just remember that they are probably here because they love what you have done so far.

tl;dr Great mod, don't let the noise get to you. Keep doing what you are doing (Please!).

Figured I'd state this here as I've been stressed out by all the arguments and general hostility in this community as of late:

I'm sick of this cycle of:
Step 1 - Having fun making things
Step 2 - People start suggesting things
Step 3 - People start arguing about said suggestions
Step 4 - Arguments intensify to ridiculous and stupid proportions
Step 5 - People leave
Step 6 - People get mad...and then I do...
Step 7 - I contemplate giving up on the mod
Step 8 - People come back and tell me it's alright
Step 9 - I calm down
Step 10 - Start over at Step 1

I know I can't stop it, but I'd rather not deal with it any longer. I have contemplated removing this mod from mediafire and never touching it ever again several times over the past year or so. And I, for one, am so sick of it. It has been making me feel mentally ill and generally demotivated and depressed over every single thing in my life. The depression factors continue to compound on themselves until eventually they break me and I consider giving up on this mod.

My primary point is that if this cycle continues I cannot be certain of the future of this project or my own mental stability. If this cycle escalates and happens several more times I WILL stop working on this mod indefinitely.

Thank you for your time and have a nice day.

Sincerely, someone that just wants to have fun making content for others,
Andrew

PS:
Here is the current change log for 1.1.7.5 if you care:
Code:
- Balance/QoL stuff
1 - Added Calamity Biome boss, the Brimstone Elemental
2 - Added minion slot usage tool tip for Yharon's Kindle Staff
3 - Nerfed ray weapon damage
4 - Nerfed Galactus Blade damage slightly
5 - Nerfed Elemental Eruption damage slightly
6 - Nerfed Augur of the Elements damage
7 - Added head icon for the Perforator Hive
8 - Perforator Cyst no longer takes up any NPC spawn slots
9 - Devourer of Gods has much more HP in Normal Mode, slightly more HP in Expert Mode
10 - Devourer of Gods body does more damage
11 - Devourer of Gods head does more damage
12 - Siren Lure does more damage
13 - Siren Lure charges less
14 - Siren Lure switches phases more often
15 - Plaguebringer Goliath has more HP
16 - Plague Charges sprite changed and AI updated
17 - Plaguebringer enemy spawn sprites changed and AI updated (small and large have different AIs now)
18 - Siren Lure Parasea and Aquatic Aberration spawns have more HP
19 - Perforator Hive spawns Mini Perforators much less often to reduce NPC slots being taken up
20 - Siren Lure gets mad when you exit the ocean, she also becomes almost invisible when outside the ocean
21 - Nerfed Brimrose Staff
22 - Nerfed Destroyer resistance in Expert Mode and minion projectiles are no longer resisted
23 - Nerfed Leviathan contact damage
24 - Asgard's Valor now requires Abaddon to craft
- Added 21 new items (6 items left to program/sprite)
1 - Charred Idol for the Brimstone Elemental that can be crafted after 1 mech boss has been defeated
2 - Titan Scale Potions
3 - Cadence Potions
4 - Supreme Healing Potions
5 - Calamitas' Brew Potions
6 - Yharim's Stimulants
7 - Arctic Arrows
8 - Ark of the Cosmos
9 - Mortar Rounds
10 - Napalm Arrows
11 - Terra Arrows
12 - Superball Bullets
13 - IOU
14 - Adaddon
15 - Enhanced Nano Rounds
- Demon Trophy and Celestial Onion now buff the following bosses AI patterns slightly
1 - King Slime: Teleports nearly instantly if you are too far away
2 - Eye of Cthulhu: Charges FAR more often and is much faster
3 - Skeletron: Does his spinning head charge more often
4 - Wall of Flesh: Shoots lasers far more often, Hungry get a massive HP and damage boost
5 - Plantera: Shoots seeds and thorn balls like a gatling gun in phase 1, Shoots more spores in phase 2
6 - Queen Bee: Shoots her stingers more often and switches phases more quickly
- The following vanilla bosses get more powerful if the player is in Expert Mode
1 - Skeletron Prime: Prime Cannon shoots missiles when his Head is spinning, Head shoots Skeletron skulls which shoot more often the lower his health is
2 - Golem: Golem fists attack very quickly and are invulnerable (this is in the latest version already but I wanted to mention it again)
Take a break, you've been working a crapton on the recent updates and you deserve a freaking break. Chill out and try not to let the community get you mad anymore.

I gotta add my opinion to this too. Your mod is incredible and I feel you should be really proud of it. It was one of the reasons I returned to Terraria after like a year long hiatus. I mean it has so much content it's literally too big for the mod browser! If that isn't a sign of how kick :red: it is I dunno what is. And I gotta agree with TheFoxGoesMoo, you really deserve a break after all this. I mean in like a month you've already added multiple new bosses and a mountain of new items.

So anways, sorry if that got rambly. I just wanted to say thank you for making one of my favorite mods for any game ever.

I know. Drew, even though I can't wait for what you have to offer next, you probably need a break. Actually, you need a break right now.

I can understand what @Compa's saying. I gradually lost interest in Terraria over time because I was doing the same thing, which is what I do best at: slaying bosses with little to no effort. Then, I discovered TModLoader, and suddenly, I grew interested again. I decided right off the bat to use Tremor, and I was astounded and what they offered. I have long since abandoned Tremor in waiting for 1.3, so I decided to download Thorium. It wasn't anything special, really. Then I downloaded Pumpking's Mod, then SacredTools, and then Calamity. Out of all of them, I was impressed with Calamity's the most. Just looking at the entire OP and the mod content, it made up for the hole still being patched by Tremor. It was just as big, or bigger, than Tremor's content. It was a new adventure, even adding harder bosses to the table, which I do enjoy.

Thanks, @MountainDrew, for making this mod. I'd probably would've gave up on Terraria altogether without having a mod like this getting me back. So even though I'm eager to see the new content of 1.1.7.5, I think we can all agree that Drew needs a rest.

Loaded up Terraria for the first time since moon lord dropped to check out how the mod community was doing, giving this one a try first. Thoroughly impressed. Thanks for the hard work put into this, really breathes life back into the game having new content to explore.

Still fairly early on, was wondering about the boss progression: where is mining hellstone supposed to fit in exactly? Perferator seems way harder than skeletron ever was to me (honestly even the bee queen seems harder than him, he's fairly easy if you're mobile imo) but I just got the hellstone tier equipment (Lunarian bow and Hellwing Staff in particular) and it seems miles ahead of everything else up to this point. Like I was barely able to kill the queen bee by lowering her defense with the plasma staff and using the opal striker, now I have a bow that has 38! damage with hellfire arrows, firing two at a time, rapid fire. And that's before any damage buffs at all. With some gear and an archery potion it'll be even more crazy. The staff is decent as well, though not quite as high on the dps it goes through walls and such.

My main concern here is if the gear from the perferator and the dungeon is going to be already obsolete when I find it if I start using these things now. That's my main gripe with the vanilla game to begin with, is having too much stuff be obsolete before you ever realistically have a chance to see it. I don't want to skip 2 whole tiers of gear without ever using any of it. Hellstone is really easy to mine with the new lava immunity trinket though.

I decided right off the bat to use Tremor, and I was astounded and what they offered.

I decided to download Thorium. It wasn't anything special,really.

I'm honestly surprised you give so much praise to Tremor and found Thorium "nothing special". 10 bosses 2 mini bosses vs 6 bosses (3 of which are just minion spawners), an entire new class type (healer), a new biome (underwater depths), and bosses that don't feel like jokes (evil corn).

I often play with Calamity + Thorium + Tremor, and aside from the Living Wood and Flesh armor in my Summoner run I don't think I've actually used anything in Tremor...

You also mentioned liking difficult bosses, but the Tremor ones are free kills (unless you count the currently broken cog lord in expert) where as everything excluding the Thunderbird in Thorium is a real fight (although still not Calamity level :D).

The popularity also shows on the tModLoader download rankings, and on the thread activity (416 pages vs 214). I'm hopeful that 1.3 will bring some new life into Tremor, but comparing it's current state to Calamity almost feels degrading.

I also made an account just to say this. Your mod is incredible and you should continue development. I'm having lots of fun playing and I believe there are many people out there also having a great time with this mod. The problem is most of us don't take the time to post to let you know how great of a developer you are. I invite everybody else following this thread to make an account and say how great the mod is. Please don't let it die!

depressing cycle stuff
I think it might be another case of 'you only hear the loud ones'.
You've probably seen plenty of YouTube videos with pretty nasty comments, but far more likes than dislikes. Most people just watch the video, leave a like, and leave. If you were to put those YouTube viewers into a comedian's audience, it would be a hall full of people quietly watching and enjoying the show with one or two hecklers.
I'm willing to bet it's the same here.
I also made an account just to say this...
Here. This person, until just now, simply came to check on the mod periodically without feeling the need to post anything.
I'm the same way. I just check the latest progress updates ~twice a day and leave without saying a word.

Great mod, by the way. The bosses are phenomenal. I still remember my first Devourer of Gods fight.

Hi, similar to a few others, I made an account just to say thanks to Drew and the team for making an incredible mod (I wish you had an option to donate!) Everything FierySwordswoman said it absolutely true, there are a lot of very appreciative lurkers in these forums. Your health is the most important thing though, and no one here wants you to spend your free time modding if you're not enjoying it. I hope you can figure out what is best for you, and please know that the vast majority of the community will support you in whatever you decide.

I'm honestly surprised you give so much praise to Tremor and found Thorium "nothing special". 10 bosses 2 mini bosses vs 6 bosses (3 of which are just minion spawners), an entire new class type (healer), a new biome (underwater depths), and bosses that don't feel like jokes (evil corn).

I often play with Calamity + Thorium + Tremor, and aside from the Living Wood and Flesh armor in my Summoner run I don't think I've actually used anything in Tremor...

You also mentioned liking difficult bosses, but the Tremor ones are free kills (unless you count the currently broken cog lord in expert) where as everything excluding the Thunderbird in Thorium is a real fight (although still not Calamity level :D).

The popularity also shows on the tModLoader download rankings, and on the thread activity (416 pages vs 214). I'm hopeful that 1.3 will bring some new life into Tremor, but comparing it's current state to Calamity almost feels degrading.

Well. Tremor gave me a lot, and Thorium kinda did the same thing. I'm still impressed by Thorium, don't get me wrong here. I didn't find Thorium being a great mod as too surprising, that is until they began to grow and grow. But still, I'd put it around my second favorite mod, Calamity being first of course. :p

I can't play with Tremor anymore because I'm waiting for 1.3 (which I hope to the lord does fix the problems they once had) and because all my mods take up so much space that I can't even add Tremor. And even then (I guess I forgot to include this in my OP), Tremor sort of became vanilla Terraria again. I got bored. I tried Thorium, but since it wasn't as big as it is now, it didn't help. Eventually I gave up, but then I found Calamity. It had a significant amount of content, so I thought, "Why not?" Aye, I still remember the days when the Devourer of Gods was post-Plantera. Then Thorium began to grow, and it also earned a high place. But I always stuck to Calamity. It's probably because it gives a lot. Thorium gives just as much, but Calamity mod impressed me in that even though it's so big that one can call it an extension to vanilla Terraria, it was still its own story. :)

You're welcome to talk :red: on tremmor in our discord server, but this isnt really the place to do that kind of thing.

Just like to interject that this mod is GOAT for many reasons. There may be any number of mods that are really well done, but I will 100% say that Calamity is the #1 Terraria Mod out there, because the team is super fun to work with (even though I don't do much lol), they've all been really driven in putting out some of the best code and sprites I've seen, and they actually care about the mod.

Don't even get me started on Drew. This man is an absolute legend, and takes the time out of further improving this masterpiece to help me out when I need it. He already knows how I feel about the cycle of stuff he has to face, but I respect him as one of the, if not the most talented mod creator out there.

All in all, this mod just aims to make a player's gaming experience more fun (as most mods, I hope, do), and does so excellently. However, keep in mind that everyone has differing opinions on content and whatnot, and ultimately the decision is up to the team. There's no reason to be overly vehement and ruin the fun for the majority of the people, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't voice your opinion :)

Tldr : Calamity is the best mod of all time and we all support you, Drew

Speaking of I have something that might interest you and may even motivate you.

TIDAL WAVE

The Tyrant Yharim long ago flooded a city of high stature and magics. The denizens had innate and powerful arcane abilities which Yharim wanted to use to bolster his ranks for vengeance and conquest. But the Atlantis refused to aid him and in return, Yharim leveled the City and flooded the lands in watery depths bringing ruin to the Kingdom. The survivors harnessed all their magic to breath in the deep waters but it backfired, as the generations continued they transformed into abyssal horrors with only primitive drive. But they have come for the land walkers now to conquer them and begin a new empire... their empire

I don't have much now but these are sprites for the mobs. I am missing a Boss and one more mob but this is it for now.
View attachment 152837
Stories are nice :)

If it's any encouragement to the team, I haven't put this much time consistently into Terraria since 1.3 first launched. I'm actually doing full class runs (with some help from Thorium) and I'm still not even close to tired yet. I just wish my computer wasn't a potato and could actually stand to fight Yharon and the DoGs for more than 10 seconds before dropping to 1 frame :D but sincerely speaking, the work on this mod and the care and desire to make it as fun as possible is immense and I appreciate it. I know the large majority does as well :)

Thank you all for the support. I'm still leery of things like these happening in the future again, but knowing of all the people that like and support this project makes me extremely happy. Sometimes it just feels the complaints begin to outweigh the compliments, just like YouTube comment sections.
And I do see/hear almost everything that is said, no matter what Discord server, forum thread, or YouTube video.

And I'm not saying that I want to surround myself with "yes men" that never critique my work, but I'd rather people just politely suggest things to me rather than complain about them.

Thank you all again, new version should be out soon. Leviathan and Hive Mind boss redesigns are on the way as well (still heavy WIP) but they likely won't be out for a while.

Back
Top Bottom