tModLoader Calamity Mod

What would you like me to create more of?

• NPCs (enemies, house NPCs, etc.)

Votes: 1,170 19.5%
  • Bosses

Votes: 2,450 40.8%
  • Items (Accessories, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 1,581 26.3%
  • Vanity (furniture, armor sets, etc.)

Votes: 438 7.3%
  • Mineable Stuff (Ores, Blocks, etc.)

Votes: 372 6.2%

• Total voters
Dude.

The Eldritch Tome. I just completely obliterated that stupid Hivemind with it, lol. I don't think I've ever had that much fun with a magic weapon before, not like this anyways haha.

That, and a pair of magic cuffs = LULZ.

Just beat the last of the Calamity bosses today, and tried out each of the weapons,I have to say that I've thoroughly enjoyed this mod.
The unique effects of weapons, armors, and accessories; and the new beefed up bosses, my progression through this mod's content felt smooth and natural. I never found myself to be particularly stuck or tediously grinding. Love this mod.

The Devourer of Gods is the only boss that gave me any trouble, I had resort to using an AFKing+teleporter system to beat him my first time. But he was much easier after I got a Rod of Discord and a flying mount. The Leviathan made me jump from my chair when I unknowingly summoned him pre-hardmode. Yharon is a bit of a push-over, ended up beating him on my second try because it's easy to outrun him and wait out his tornado/projectile durations.

Thank you guys for making this mod, and thanks to the community for sharing information about it. You guys are awesome. <3

Is there any way to farm Essence of Cinder besides from Wyverns? Never dropped them anywhere else and farming Wyverns is not fun.

I am pretty sure a load of sarcasm was put into that "that's great". In case you didn't know, fixing multiplayer issues is not as easy as snapping your fingers. Drew has enough work on his hands with singleplayer. Multiplayer just isn't a priority. Maybe, in the future, when he has time and the drive, he may work on multiplayer. But it isn't your job to scold him for not wanting to do something that he is doing for free. Go enjoy the singleplayer content, or live with the bugs.
just makes me sad that I have to remove one great mod from my list to play with friends. hes fixed hive mind despawning so I was thinking it might be the same bug with providence. thats all calm down.

From what I remember, sun bats in the underground, shockstorm shuttles, and angry nimbuses all drop cinder essence

Also Sand Tortoises in the desert drop it, but it seems that farming Sun Bats in the Underground Ice biome is a really effective way.

EDIT: Or if you are at that stage of the game, farming the Ravager gives you cores if I'm not mistaken.

The Hive Mind and the Perforators are amazing in my opinion.

I'm of the opinion that the Hive Mind is slightly overtuned with respect to its placement in the boss progression list. Even after having beaten it a few times, I just feel that the player does not have enough decent options for good weapons to use against it until something like the Eldritch Tome. You need good, massive AoE, but there just isn't that many options for that kind of thing yet (the Storm Surge would be awesome if it didn't have hit detection issues). That, and all of the little things flying around do way too much damage for how bullet-hell the fight is. Usually a bullet-hell fight doesn't have each hit shearing off 30-40 damage at a time until way later in the game when you get more tools to deal with that. Not even Destroyer's lasers do that much damage (once you get appropriate armor on), and that's hardmode.

As for its actual mechanics, I feel that they are well thought out and well programmed. I just think they could knock off about 10 damage or so from its attacks to make the fight a bit more fair and balanced for when you are supposed to encounter it.

I'm of the opinion that the Hive Mind is slightly overtuned with respect to its placement in the boss progression list. Even after having beaten it a few times, I just feel that the player does not have enough decent options for good weapons to use against it until something like the Eldritch Tome. You need good, massive AoE, but there just isn't that many options for that kind of thing yet (the Storm Surge would be awesome if it didn't have hit detection issues). That, and all of the little things flying around do way too much damage for how bullet-hell the fight is. Usually a bullet-hell fight doesn't have each hit shearing off 30-40 damage at a time until way later in the game when you get more tools to deal with that. Not even Destroyer's lasers do that much damage (once you get appropriate armor on), and that's hardmode.

As for its actual mechanics, I feel that they are well thought out and well programmed. I just think they could knock off about 10 damage or so from its attacks to make the fight a bit more fair and balanced for when you are supposed to encounter it.

They could do that, sure, but I only fought him with a Meowmere.
(Don't ask.)

the main thing to keep in mind with hive mind is movement tbh, the first phase those blobs only have a certain range so you can exploit that and pop in quickly to ensure the hive mind doesn't despawn, the second phase is like skeletron, you can't get hit otherwise you just get stunlocked into oblivion, basically all you should really be getting hit by are blobs occasionally and maybe those projectiles otherwise you just need to git gud :^)

the main thing to keep in mind with hive mind is movement tbh, the first phase those blobs only have a certain range so you can exploit that and pop in quickly to ensure the hive mind doesn't despawn, the second phase is like skeletron, you can't get hit otherwise you just get stunlocked into oblivion, basically all you should really be getting hit by are blobs occasionally and maybe those projectiles otherwise you just need to git gud :^)

"Like Skeletron" ... eh, Skeletron doesn't stun-lock you to death if you get hit by it... unless you are talking about Expert Skeletron?

I don't do Expert, so I wouldn't know. But then I don't expect a boss in Non-Expert to act like other (vanilla) bosses in Expert. I mean, seriously, what is it with the Dark Souls crowd who think we need that kind of stuff going on in Non-Expert?

If you want Expert Challenge, hey awesome, click the Expert option when you make your world. But do you need to force that on players who want to play on Normal mode, too?

And it isn't just about "Git Gud", it's about the thing being overtuned compared to bosses you fight before and after it.

Hive Mind is supposed to be the Corruption variant of the Brain of Cthulhu, and like the BoC, it likes to teleport ontop of you and does some rather good damage. However, the BoC's second form does not have adds, nor does it have three types of projectiles, nor does it do 40 damage a pop. It does more like 20-25 damage per hit, non-Expert.

The Hive Mind, however has three different adds that spawn in its second phase (the blobs, the spiked blobs, AND the hearts that rain down on you which I feel is just overkill) and it's fought at a point in the game where, if you're not overgearing encounters, you do not have very many AoE-heavy weapons, and since it is meant to be fought (supposedly) before Skeletron, you don't even have KB immunity, and KB is most of what KILLS you in this fight. You get hit ONCE by the thing, and you're going to lose 50%+ of your health because it stunlocks you and there is pretty much zero escape.

At least, with the Brain of Cthulhu, you could keep it at bay with the Rotted Fork or any Yo-Yo but you could still get killed if certain conditions happen even with those two weapons.

This thing, though, pretty much you have to pray you get lucky with its RNG teleports, or simply wait until you have a Cobalt/Obsidian Shield and better weapons to kill the junk with. Oh, and might I add that the adds the Hive Mind spawns are... 1). Twice as tanky as BoC's, and 2). Move twice as fast as BoC's, and 3). The Hearts rain a projectile down on top of you. Oh, and 4). The blobs also shoot at you, which the Hive Mind Itself also does in its 2nd Phase.

It's just simply overtuned for the point you're supposedly supposed to fight the thing during the game. The player just does not have the tools to properly deal with this fight at that point, and overgearing it is the only feasible way of defeating it unless you're an Expert player.

But... if I were an Expert Player, I would be playing on on Expert.

EDIT: And sure, beating it overgeared is an option, but the rewards from its drops are already obsolete which means there's not much reason to fight the boss whatsoever, which makes it a pointless boss unless you need to farm it for the crafting material it drops, in which case you'd just come back with hardmode weapons and roflstomp it.

EDIT2: The boss after it (Slime God) is 3x easier as long as you made a pair of wings (which is within the progression, no sequence breaking required) and prepared a decent sized portion of the world (or were careful about where you summon it). I was able to kill Slime God while barely even getting hit whatsoever. That's another clear indicator a boss is overtuned, when it is more difficult than other bosses later in the progression. And the boss before it is such a pushover, that it isn't even worth mentioning.

Last edited:
whenever i fight the hive mind i usually use piercing weapons to just go straight through the ads and the skyline wings really help with the rng teleports and by then you should have cobalt shield since in my opinion skeletron is easier than hive mind. i beat him using the armor after desert scourge and water bolt (note i only play expert so i have stuff like Cthulhu shield and worm scarf to help so it might not be the same in normal)

"Like Skeletron" ... eh, Skeletron doesn't stun-lock you to death if you get hit by it... unless you are talking about Expert Skeletron?

I don't do Expert, so I wouldn't know. But then I don't expect a boss in Non-Expert to act like other (vanilla) bosses in Expert. I mean, seriously, what is it with the Dark Souls crowd who think we need that kind of stuff going on in Non-Expert?

Behold the problem with this mod. The fanbase is a bunch of tough guys who respond to all notes of difficulty with "Well I can do it, so you need to get better!" while simultaniously posting on the discord about how everything is too easy so it needs buffed. This is exactly why Devourer of Gods is often posted about, all its weaknesses were patched out because these guys keep saying it's too easy to do x strategy, and now it's all but unthinkable for a blind player to approach.

...Still, part of this is intentional. Drew has stated a number of times that his bosses are supposed to be harder than vanilla ones, and that they follow their own difficulty scaling. Expect to run into this a lot, Cryogen's going to be a harder kill than any mech, and if you think you're bagging Calamitas before Plantera without a ton of prep and plan, you'd best get to the prepping and planning, because THAT ain't happening.

I also believe Calamity's bosses don't scale like vanilla as far as expert/normal goes. The Normal mode fights are only slightly weaker than the expert variations, so in normal mode the power gap is even MORE pronounced, AND you don't get the boosted defense effect you otherwise would have.

What it all boils down to is, get used to this, but don't get complacent. This mod was balanced in part by a prideful handful of loyalists who think the content needs to be as punishing as possible, because the mod author wanted to make content that was tougher than usual. It's far from a perfect package, so while you should keep in mind that Calamity bosses are supposed to be pretty tough, there ARE bits here where it was way, way overdone. Like Devourer of Gods. Who was, at least a few updates ago, virtually impossible to beat without fighting in extremely specific ways.

If you want Expert Challenge, hey awesome, click the Expert option when you make your world. But do you need to force that on players who want to play on Normal mode, too?

And it isn't just about "Git Gud", it's about the thing being overtuned compared to bosses you fight before and after it.

Hive Mind is supposed to be the Corruption variant of the Brain of Cthulhu, and like the BoC, it likes to teleport ontop of you and does some rather good damage. However, the BoC's second form does not have adds, nor does it have three types of projectiles, nor does it do 40 damage a pop. It does more like 20-25 damage per hit, non-Expert.

The Hive Mind, however has three different adds that spawn in its second phase (the blobs, the spiked blobs, AND the hearts that rain down on you which I feel is just overkill) and it's fought at a point in the game where, if you're not overgearing encounters, you do not have very many AoE-heavy weapons, and since it is meant to be fought (supposedly) before Skeletron, you don't even have KB immunity, and KB is most of what KILLS you in this fight. You get hit ONCE by the thing, and you're going to lose 50%+ of your health because it stunlocks you and there is pretty much zero escape.

At least, with the Brain of Cthulhu, you could keep it at bay with the Rotted Fork or any Yo-Yo but you could still get killed if certain conditions happen even with those two weapons.

This thing, though, pretty much you have to pray you get lucky with its RNG teleports, or simply wait until you have a Cobalt/Obsidian Shield and better weapons to kill the junk with. Oh, and might I add that the adds the Hive Mind spawns are... 1). Twice as tanky as BoC's, and 2). Move twice as fast as BoC's, and 3). The Hearts rain a projectile down on top of you. Oh, and 4). The blobs also shoot at you, which the Hive Mind Itself also does in its 2nd Phase.

It's just simply overtuned for the point you're supposedly supposed to fight the thing during the game. The player just does not have the tools to properly deal with this fight at that point, and overgearing it is the only feasible way of defeating it unless you're an Expert player.

But... if I were an Expert Player, I would be playing on on Expert.

EDIT: And sure, beating it overgeared is an option, but the rewards from its drops are already obsolete which means there's not much reason to fight the boss whatsoever, which makes it a pointless boss unless you need to farm it for the crafting material it drops, in which case you'd just come back with hardmode weapons and roflstomp it.

EDIT2: The boss after it (Slime God) is 3x easier as long as you made a pair of wings (which is within the progression, no sequence breaking required) and prepared a decent sized portion of the world (or were careful about where you summon it). I was able to kill Slime God while barely even getting hit whatsoever. That's another clear indicator a boss is overtuned, when it is more difficult than other bosses later in the progression. And the boss before it is such a pushover, that it isn't even worth mentioning.
well hive mind/perforators aren't meant to be just variants of the bosses, they are a step further in the progression and are meant to be harder than their counterparts, they are very beatable at the time they are supposed to be fought and they are much easier than they used to be.
Just interested... Do you guys play this mod for fun or on your free time just because? Or do you get enough play out of testing?
yeah i play it for fun in free time

Back
Top Bottom