tModLoader Calamity Mod

What would you like me to create more of?

• NPCs (enemies, house NPCs, etc.)

Votes: 1,170 19.5%
  • Bosses

Votes: 2,448 40.8%
  • Items (Accessories, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 1,580 26.3%
  • Vanity (furniture, armor sets, etc.)

Votes: 437 7.3%
  • Mineable Stuff (Ores, Blocks, etc.)

Votes: 372 6.2%

• Total voters
For April Fools I'd love to see the bosses get renamed for the day to something silly. The Devourer could be called Doggo, Supreme Calamitas would become Soup Clam, etc.

Might be wrong, but i'm pretty sure that's added by Tmodloader itself. Always found and item called "April fools joke" with the Terrarian sprite in Cheat sheet, but it wasn't there when i made the menu only show Calamity items.
Huh. Guess that makes sense. I wouldn't know.
For April Fools I'd love to see the bosses get renamed for the day to something silly. The Devourer could be called Doggo, Supreme Calamitas would become Soup Clam, etc.
It strikes me that the Profaned Guardians who spawn during the Providence fight are already referred to as Dunkin' Donuts in-game.

Maybe I am being incredibly dense, but...how do you fish in the Abyss? When I drain a patch of water so I can fish, I seem to no longer be in the Abyss.

I guess I'm gonna teach the controversy™ and say it: actually, I think the new sprite looks cuter. With the old sprite, it kinda looked like its skin was "molten", and I've seen a fanart in which it was the case. With the new sprite, it does have feathers, and is the weird little dragon/hummingbird hybrid it is supposed to be.
But it's supposed to be a failed hybrid. That new sprite looks highly successful to me.

But it's supposed to be a failed hybrid. That new sprite highly successful to me.
Not an hybrid, but a lesser Yharon clone.Yharon's Kindle Staff summons a tiny jungle dragon, that is what Yharim was going after.

And come on, the sprite is not that different from the current one, concept-wise. It has a thinner and more jagged beak, a featherless face, more defined legs and scales on the top of the wings; but it still a large ball of feathery fluff that does not seem all that threatening.

Lemme try nicknaming them

Desert Scourge- Dessert Worm
Crabulon- God
Perforators- Spaghetti
Hive Mind- Weird Brain guy
Slime God- Tide Pod
Cryogen-Snowflake
Brimstone Elemental-A random lady (no regrets)
Aquatic Scourge- Seafoo
Calamitas- Retinazar wannabe
Siren- Teh Police
Leviathan- K9
Astralgeldon Slime- ezpz
Astrum Deus- The status message "You've had one too many ale's" pops up when spawned. 11 worms spawn
Plaguebringer Goliath- Green Bee
Ravager- Fleshy
Profaned Guardians- Donuts
Providence- Butterfly
Storm Weaver- Another worm boss
Ceaseless Void- The Mouth
Signus- Sickness
Polterghast- PoultryGhast
DoG- Doggo (as someone already said)
Bumblebirb- Bumblebee
Yharon- Birdee
SCalamitas- You've already done that

Last edited:
I have found a bug with the Hive Mind. If you get killed/teleport away using a magic mirror, the boss won't despawn, teleporting at you, and killing you over and over again, till you either leave the game or lure it to a corruption biome to kill it there. Please fix this bug, its pretty annoying.

Everything past the Province is just purely unfair. Storm Weaver is incredibly difficult solely because of the lightning. 350 damage? Really? This is just not fun. Imo, most of these end-game bosses need nerfing. That, or the weapons need buffing.

Everything past the Province is just purely unfair. Storm Weaver is incredibly difficult solely because of the lightning. 350 damage? Really? This is just not fun. Imo, most of these end-game bosses need nerfing. That, or the weapons need buffing.
Or maybe you just need better armor and accessories. (Not trying to be rude, it just might be true.)

The Storm Weaver gave me no problem. I think I killed it on the third attempt (Caught me off-guard for two different reasons). The Ceaseless Void was easy once I figured it out. Signum took more tries, but I can now kill it rather consistently. Make sure you have the Valor.

The Polterghast took a LOT of tries, but I eventually managed. It should be easier for you, as summoning him is now easier.

Above that, I can not give my opinion.

Question:Fabsol will make other thing after he completes the Calamity Mod? I mean other projects or something.

I never asked for "undying praise". I merely asked for people to remember that mods aren't perfect and they're just for fun. And yes, I will take criticism, if it is structured well and isn't a rant that makes the person sound extremely demanding or pushy.

The constant rise in expectations means that the fun the devs have been having has been diminishing considerably. And not just me, oh no, the spriters as well. How would you feel if you worked hard on a sprite and it was instantly replaced some moments later because someone else made a better version? How about if you were constantly being told what to change with what you made rather than what makes it good?

These ^ are the opposite of fun. And they prove to me that:
1 - A lot of people don't know how to properly communicate their criticism without sounding demanding or unclear.
2 - Fun is secondary to quality now.

The best solution here for the people making suggestions is to merely make suggestions for what you would like to change both calmly and happily, rather than ranting/raging about it. If you rant/rage about something that you want changed do you think we're going to listen to you? The answer is, clearly, no. I WILL listen to you if you just calmly suggest things I could change.

Take the high road people, don't let negative emotions control you. Make clear, concise, and calm suggestions. Not paragraphs of fluff that I won't bother to read. I've recently made this change, you should too. If you would like to see what inspired me to do this it's right here:

Here is a suggestion from me for the people that make critiques that are just full of hate/rage. Take some time to think about what you're posting before you post it, take a break and calm down before speaking, and just remember that other people are playing this mod other than you that might prefer whatever you might be angry at.

A suggestion for myself is to stop reading things that are full of hate/rage, as the only thing they'll do is make me upset and make a tense/stressful situation even worse. I also need to flat out start ignoring those that refuse to change themselves for the better. If they're not going to put the effort into changing the way they make suggestions/speak then I won't put forth the effort into reading their posts.

I dunno, it's up to you guys to do something about your critiques in the end, not me. I'll continue reading critiques that are actually worth my time and sanity, not ones full of anger and contempt.

1.3.1.001 changes so far:
Code:
1 - Made Aquatic Scourge do something else.
2 - Made it so Mortar and Rubber Mortar rounds cannot break abyss gravel/walls.
3 - If the player has negative life in the abyss from the low breath effect they will die instantly.
4 - Added new Mauler roar.
5 - New Aerospec sprites.
6 - Reduced the effectiveness of the Lionfish venom stack debuff.
7 - A couple new ore slime sprites.
8 - New Signus sprites.
9 - Catfish can now drop Diving Helmet sometimes.
10 - DoG's damage taken increases from minimal to huge as he uses more of his power/takes damage in Phase 2.  This gives more credence to his arrogance and lack of training being his ultimate downfall.
11 - Zen Potion effectiveness reduced while in the Abyss.
12 - Capped player melee speed when holding a yoyo so that high melee speed doesn't break them.
13 - New Gulper Eel sprite and other Abyss item sprites.
14 - Polishing the Abyss and Sulphur Beach gen more.
15 - Added Wulfum Hammer and Axe.
16 - Made Hive Mind Phase 1 spawn less enemies.
17 - New Ataxia sprites.
18 - Removed LORDE.
19 - Gnasher now has more KB resist.
20 - Giant Squid no longer phases through walls.
21 - Abyss Gravel can now be mined with a Nightmare/Deathbringer Pickaxe but it takes a while to break it.
22 - Nerfed Verium Bullet damage.
23 - Nerfed Flarewing Bow damage.
24 - Buffed Cosmic Bolter damage.
25 - Made Leviathan hitbox smaller.
26 - Reduced the amount of DR the Leviathan has by 10%.
27 - Fixed bug where Perforator worms won't spawn if above a certain height during the Perforator fight.
28 - Lowered Ark of the Ancients value and rarity.
29 - Lowered True Ark of the Ancients rarity.
30 - Sepulcher Worm Hearts pierce resist lowered.
31 - Made the Abyss fill up even faster with water if it spawns with none.
32 - Eidolon Wyrm telekinetic push strength reduced.
33 - Buffed Briny Baron.
34 - Buffed Plague Staff.
35 - Buffed Virulence.
36 - Astrum Deus no longer causes the flight time reduction debuff on revengeance/death mode.
37 - New music for Sulphuric and Abyss zones.
38 - New music for Aquatic Scourge.
39 - Increased Mauler, Colossal Squid, and Reaper HP.
40 - Empty Buckets and Super Absorbant Sponge can no longer be used in the Abyss.
41 - Chaotic Ore now generates water.
42 - DoG Phase 2 now starts his later phases earlier due to his new damage reduction changes.
43 - Added new bouncing fireball attacks for the Revengeance and Death Mode Golem and made the fists slower.
44 - Made Sharks drop the Shark Tooth Necklace sometimes.
45 - Added Radar recipe.
How are you so good at coding.

Or maybe you just need better armor and accessories. (Not trying to be rude, it just might be true.)
The Storm Weaver gave me no problem. I think I killed it on the third attempt (Caught me off-guard for two different reasons). The Ceaseless Void was easy once I figured it out. Signum took more tries, but I can now kill it rather consistently. Make sure you have the Valor.

The Polterghast took a LOT of tries, but I eventually managed. It should be easier for you, as summoning him is now easier.

Above that, I can not give my opinion.
I've mainly been focusing on DPS with menacing reforges, plus I play mostly Melee weapons so all I have is the Ark of the Elements and Vampire Knives. I'll try using some ranged weapons with more defense-like accessories and see if I can beat it again. I was pretty annoyed with it when I wrote that snappy complaint (which I apologize for).

Alright, dug up this dusty old account to give my 50$ worth of two cents on my experience with the mod. Gonna start off by saying wow. I'm pretty sure this mod actually adds more content and playtime than actual Terraria (and, as far as I can tell, it looks like you've put just about as much effort into this project as Re-Logic did to the base game, if not more). Overall, absolutely floored with how much cool stuff this mod adds. That being said, here's everything I can think of to rattle off as far as constructive criticism goes. I'd like to preface this by saying this criticism comes from someone who is ABSURDLY, LAUGHABLY BAD at this game (despite having over a thousand hours logged in it, it still consistently takes me 35-70 tries to beat Expert Skeletron), so telling me to "git gud" is actually a viable counterpoint to everything I'm about to say:
  • I don't know if you're the ones managing the Calamity Wiki, but I have absolutely no clue whatsoever as to when and how to progress through the equipment in the mod. I didn't know that there were items that increased max hp/health until I had killed the Polterghast, and just happened to be looking through the wiki at random. I don't like having to look at an external source to find out stuff about the game I'm playing, but that complaint could be made at pretty much any open-ended game.
  • All the pre-hardmode bosses totally rock, don't have much else to say on them. I do have a couple gripes about the hardmode and post-moonlord bosses, though:
  • This might be (like 99%) an issue with the Faster Respawn Mod, but some bosses will persist long enough after they've killed me that I can respawn and warp pad back to where I died before they leave.
  • Aquatic Scourge was all around sorta stupid and useless. Worm bosses as a whole aren't particularly fun, in my opinion, and the gear I needed to fight it was higher tier than the actual gear it drops, so... The only thing I can think of that would be a neat addition would be if killing the Aquatic Scourge maybe cleansed the Sulphrous Sea, turning the sulphur back into water and the sulphrous sand back into sand, but I dunno how well that fits into your lore.
  • Speaking of lore, the way the boss lore is delivered right now is more than a little ham-handed. The first couple times a boss dropped a lore fragment, I was like "oh neat, a little bit of info on the thing I just fought." After that, it was just sort of annoying. Also, the actual tone of the fragments reminds me of that one kid in the class that's in the drama club, so everything they say comes out in sort of a pompous, overdramatic way. I get that some of it is supposed to be from an actual king guy, which would justify the "look at me I'm so cool and powerful" tone, but it still comes off as more of a nerdy kid in his basement trying to sound powerful and commanding. The subject matter is really interesting, but the delivery could use some polishing. I'm not saying I'm available if you'd like some help making some of the dialogue and lore sound better, but that's definitely exactly what I'm saying.
  • The way the Leviathan fight plays out sorta ruins the whole "titanic sea monster guided by mysterious fish lady" aesthetic of the boss. Both parts of the boss don't seem like the kind of thing you'd have to kite through the air halfway across the map to avoid their attacks, and the Leviathan fires so fast that that seems to be the only way to avoid it. That being said, having this gigantic fish monster hovering at you at 75 miles an hour feels really dumpy. I'd recommend having it stay in the ocean, but increase it's health by a ton and make it invincible unless the player is in the water with it. Also, I would occasionally be moving so fast trying to kite the boss that it would become immune to damage, meaning that I had to fly so close to it that it dealt contact damage to me
  • The Plaguebringer Goliath moves fast enough that it will sometimes just sit on me until I die from contact damage. I'm playing as a summoner, and couldn't find an accessory/potion that would let me dash or move fast enough to avoid it.
  • The Profaned Guardians have the exact same issue as the Plaguebringer Goliath with their chase speed, but 100x worse. If the main Guardian got ANYWHERE near me, it would essentially just sit on my character until I died, regardless of how much speed I built up.
  • Providence had a really obnoxious bug where she would just stop taking damage for a solid minute at a time. I was still in the Hallow biome, and there were no Guardians spawned.
  • Whatever the hell is up with the lasers that the Devourer of Gods second phase fires is absolutely awful. I looked up guides on how to beat this boss, all of which required me to build not one, but two platforms the entire way across my world. If this is actually how I am intended to beat this boss, please just spawn in those platforms for me. If I actually have to spend 2-3 hours building that to fight one single boss, I'm gonna have to slap down a 「Poor Design」 card on this one. Also, the DOG has an attack pattern in it's first phase that makes it stop following the player and start spitting out projectiles at random. I end up having to fly over and check to check on it, like "You, uh, you good there, man? Run out of breath or something?"
  • Because some enemies in the Abyss biome don't become hostile until certain conditions are met, my minions refuse to actually fight any of them until they've already drop-kicked my :red: into the gravel.
  • Cnidrion spawns a little too often in pre-hardmode. The whole time I was in the Anthill, there was at least 1-2 of them hosing me down constantly. Nice way to grind out ocean mats without actually going over there, though.
  • Trying to kill the Storm Weaver's first phase with the Telluric Glare bow (I swapped over from summoner to archer after I died for the 80th time to my minions not doing WHAT I'M F***ING COMMANDING THEM TO DO WITH THE RIGHT CLICK AND INSTEAD JUST BUMBLING AROUND ME AS I GET MY SINUSES RIPPED OUT THROUGH MY EYE SOCKETS BY THE MOON LORD) literally look me almost 15 minutes of wanting to actually chew glass. Worm bosses with a specific tiny hitbox: Not Even Once™
  • The mod has way too much oregen in it. Aerialite equipment was never once worth making in any playthrough I've ever done; The late game recipes that required it seemed like they were desperately finding a reason to make you go mine some more. Cryonic Ore could've just been Cryonic Shard and been enemy/Cryogen specific drop, no need for the excessive mining. I've never even seen Charred or Perennial Ore, I'm not even sure what they're for. Astral and Chaotic Ores are actually kinda cool, though Chaotic ore looks totally weird and out of place in the Abyss. It seems like it was going to spawn on the ceiling of the Underworld, but the Abyss didn't have enough stuff in it to make it worth exploring so it got moved over last-minute. Every recipe that uses Uelibloom Ore could just as easily have used Chlorophyte.
  • The Abyss Diving Gear should just allow full water breathing, since the Ocean Crest (usually one of the first accessories I get in the whole game) allows full-on water breathing, it's not like having the ability to stay underwater is an extra special super late-game mechanic or anything.
  • Finally, Rare Waifu in a Bottle. You know what you did, you sillies.

Again, I absolutely adore everything you've done with this mod. It's probably my favorite mod for anything ever. I'm taking a Game Design course currently, so I've really been trying to play games with a critical lens to pick out what elements make a game/mod fun, and what elements detract from said fun. I'm sure I could make an expanded list/spreadsheet of every item/enemy/boss in the game, complete with pros and cons of them individually, and honestly I feel like that might be a lot of fun. At any rate, please don't take this as an attack on Calamity or any of Calamity's design choices. I don't know why I feel the need to state this, but I know how much this project means to people and I really hope that my points come across as genuine advice as a huge fan of the mod. Thanks a million if you took the time to actually read through all of this, and hopefully I made it entertaining enough that you actually wanted to do so.

tl;dr Fun mod, am bad at the game so pls make it easier for me thx. 8/10

Edit: Just finished reading through some of the comments from the last few days, most importantly Drew's. It makes me sad knowing that so many people feel so entitled to this mod and it's development, just because they play with it and have opinions. I totally understand how so much criticism can really start to wear someone down, especially when it isn't even aimed at being helpful or constructive, and is just there to berate. I personally believe a lot of the fun in working on a project is getting feedback from others and working to make your final product as fun and polished as it can be. I hope the feedback I've given in this post actually helps make the mod more fun and cool, despite some of the things I mentioned sounding a little scathing. Please, by all means, if you have questions about something I said or would like me to clarify further, let me know. I didn't type more into this post than I have on my 10-page essay that I have due tomorrow just to see my words on the screen (I was looking for a computer alternative to "hear my own voice," that was the closest I could manage), I promise.

Last edited:
  • Providence had a really obnoxious bug where she would just stop taking damage for a solid minute at a time. I was still in the Hallow biome, and there were no Guardians spawned.
Actually, that's a part of her pattern: she turns invincible and stationary while firing tons of projectiles in all directions and also straight at you.
  • The Profaned Guardians have the exact same issue as the Plaguebringer Goliath with their chase speed, but 100x worse. If the main Guardian got ANYWHERE near me, it would essentially just sit on my character until I died, regardless of how much speed I built up.
Yeah, I've had that happen to me too. Really annoying, especially as it was the only time I actually lost to them. I've also experienced the thing where bosses don't go away after you've died to them.
  • The mod has way too much oregen in it. Aerialite equipment was never once worth making in any playthrough I've ever done; The late game recipes that required it seemed like they were desperately finding a reason to make you go mine some more. Cryonic Ore could've just been Cryonic Shard and been enemy/Cryogen specific drop, no need for the excessive mining. I've never even seen Charred or Perennial Ore, I'm not even sure what they're for. Astral and Chaotic Ores are actually kinda cool, though Chaotic ore looks totally weird and out of place in the Abyss. It seems like it was going to spawn on the ceiling of the Underworld, but the Abyss didn't have enough stuff in it to make it worth exploring so it got moved over last-minute. Every recipe that uses Uelibloom Ore could just as easily have used Chlorophyte.
Charred Ore is used with Hellstone to make Unholy Cores, which is required to make one of the swords you need for the Exoblade. It is also used for a few other weapons, most of which are basically obsolete by the time you can make them. Perennial Ore is used to craft Reaver armour and a variety of moderately useful weapons. Chaotic Ore spent most of the mod's existence in the Underworld, which made a bit more sense imo. Unfortunately, it had a tendency to generate into the underworld houses, and so got moved over. And frankly, Chlorophyte is so hard to obtain in any useful quantities that I don't mind an alternative.
  • Whatever the hell is up with the lasers that the Devourer of Gods second phase fires is absolutely awful. I looked up guides on how to beat this boss, all of which required me to build not one, but two platforms the entire way across my world. If this is actually how I am intended to beat this boss, please just spawn in those platforms for me. If I actually have to spend 2-3 hours building that to fight one single boss, I'm gonna have to slap down a 「Poor Design」 card on this one. Also, the DOG has an attack pattern in it's first phase that makes it stop following the player and start spitting out projectiles at random. I end up having to fly over and check to check on it, like "You, uh, you good there, man? Run out of breath or something?"
Agreed. The DoG is pretty badly designed, not least due to the fact that obtaining enough wood for the platforms takes for :red:ing ever and he nerfs you pretty heavily just by being present. And then it seems like every new version just powers him up even further. Does it really need to make the Rod of Discord hurt you if you use it? Isn't it powerful enough anyway?

That aside, I basically agree with you that it's a really cool mod with some unfortunate design decisions.

Back
Top Bottom