tModLoader Calamity Mod

What would you like me to create more of?

• NPCs (enemies, house NPCs, etc.)

Votes: 1,170 19.5%
  • Bosses

Votes: 2,449 40.8%
  • Items (Accessories, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 1,580 26.3%
  • Vanity (furniture, armor sets, etc.)

Votes: 437 7.3%
  • Mineable Stuff (Ores, Blocks, etc.)

Votes: 372 6.2%

• Total voters
Really sucks when you consider the fact that the mod isn't done yet
Over the span of more than two years, Calamitas is still the final boss of the mod with nothing added past it. There hasn't been any actual progression.

Some extra worm bosses have been added, which all function much the same due to their limitations, and exploits regarding teleporters were removed. Since the very beginning it's been my opinion that Cryogen is the best, most interesting boss in the entire mod, and I've only grown to like the post-moonlord bosses less and less as each update adds superfluous mechanics, boss invulnerability, and 4th wall breaking message prompts.

Calamity has been done for a long time, you just don't realize it. Whenever I check on the mod I'm always disappointed to see the latest update was another balance shuffle to protect DoG or Calamitas from being floored by a skilled player.

Subnautica is a separate mod being shoehorned into Calamity because it won't get many downloads otherwise. Planetoids is the same. Fabsol is also adding some kind of class and experience mechanics, which is likewise a separate mod. In fact Calamity is now trying to compete with some mods I already have made by other modders. But we've cut Dokoro's music and no matter what you say about the advertising push, the numbers don't lie and it's clear from download numbers that something in the range of 40% of Calamity players won't have Dokoro's music now.

Over the span of more than two years, Calamitas is still the final boss of the mod with nothing added past it. There hasn't been any actual progression.

Some extra worm bosses have been added, which all function much the same due to their limitations, and exploits regarding teleporters were removed. Since the very beginning it's been my opinion that Cryogen is the best, most interesting boss in the entire mod, and I've only grown to like the post-moonlord bosses less and less as each update adds superfluous mechanics, boss invulnerability, and 4th wall breaking message prompts.

Calamity has been done for a long time, you just don't realize it. Whenever I check on the mod I'm always disappointed to see the latest update was another balance shuffle to protect DoG or Calamitas from being floored by a skilled player.

Subnautica is a separate mod being shoehorned into Calamity because it won't get many downloads otherwise. Planetoids is the same. Fabsol is also adding some kind of class and experience mechanics, which is likewise a separate mod. In fact Calamity is now trying to compete with some mods I already have made by other modders. But we've cut Dokoro's music and no matter what you say about the advertising push, the numbers don't lie and it's clear from download numbers that something in the range of 40% of Calamity players won't have Dokoro's music now.

They're still WORKING on it is what my point is. Do you seriously, never check the Discord, or never follow the updates for this mod? Do you genuinely hold yourself in such a place of ignorance you cannot tell when they're still working on things?

Do you not understand that Yharim is a boss that's in the making? Do you not understand that they have talked about the plans for bosses that will be programmed and implemented at length, not only on the Discord, but on this very thread as well?

Calamity is a work in progress. And developers do not just work on one thing at once.
Fabsol has talked about the things in the making for the mod before, quite a lot. He has plans for this mod that are still being worked on. And, beyond that, do you have any idea what a patch update is? They're little fixes and balances that keep things stable. Games have them literally all the time, sometimes rapid-fire, and they aren't uncommon. This isn't lazy development, lazy would be not having any of these things at all.

Beyond that, why are you so butthurt Fabsol is adding things he likes to this mod? And why do you think that the things you've called "irrelevant" or "useless" aren't going to be getting points in the future, due to this mod STILL BEING WORKED ON? Do you not read facts? Do you not do research? Are you literally only relying on your gut feeling to judge the quality of this mod, desperately stating each and every opinion you have like it's an absolute, undeniable fact?

How many times are you going to be offering up your theories and explanations with absolutely no backing or evidence, trying to cling onto some hope that they'll be seen and agreed with as some sort of fact? How many times are you going to continue assaulting Fabsol for being some lazy developer when you haven't done any research on what they're actually doing? How long are you going to continue being ignorant on the things that you act like you know what you're talking about on?

And furthermore, if you don't like what's going on with this mod, why do you care about it?

don't

Calm down.

Can I recommend a book to you? It's called "The Myhtical Man Month". It's about organizing a programming project (or any project that matter) and all the pitfalls thus entailed. Bloat can be a big one, but optimism is also a real problem for project design because if you're very optimistic, you wind up promising project goals that either can't be met or that won't be met within a reasonable time table.

Post-Calamitus bosses have been promised for a long time, but in all that time they haven't materialized. Instead we're seeing things like Planetoids, Undertale memes, homages to Youtubers, a Subnautica biome, and other bits and baubles that I wouldn't think of as being part of the actual Calamity package. Reason would dictate we're getting baubles because baubles are easier to implement than post-Calamitus bosses.

As for the liklihood of anything getting done, the current development of Calmitus and DoG are a good indicator that there's no vision. Normally you either start with concept or implementation. If you start with concept, you make an outline of what you want and then move forward into making code that will implement your vision. Or you can start with implementation first, by programming a new technology and then working backwards to make it into a functional concept. Both approaches are valid, but clearly neither are present when the first iteration of Calamitus is so wildly different from the current iteration.

I'm sure there's been plenty of concept hacking for future bosses. A lot of vaporous talk about what they'd be like, or what they'd do. But whether there's any real plans for implementation has yet to be seen.

I understand you want to be optimistic and encourage the mod to be finished, but apparently Fabsol is the type of person who thinks it's the mark of good leadership to let your team know when you're sad. Frankly I view that as having the basic ability of interpersonal communication, and cutting Dokoro from the project speaks more of his leadership.

This is getting a bit heated, so I'm going to say a few things.

@Flamingo - I think you're overlooking that this mod (and all Terraria mods that I'm aware of) are hobbies, made by the creators for their personal enjoyment and the enjoyment of others. You seem to be pushing this as if it were some sort of project with milestones and deadlines. It's not.

The direction of the mod is up to Mountain Drew, and you should accept that. If it's not to your liking, maybe you should move on.

@ARTEZUI and others - you're getting too defensive and reactive about this, I'm thinking. Shouting someone down over their opinions never works out well. MD responded to Flamingo, and I think you should leave it at that.

I'm not angry, and I don't dispute the choice is ultimately up to him. But I do think a valid argument is liable to affect him even if he doesn't acknowledge or appreciate it. It's clear there are a lot of people here on this forum, and probably on his Discord, that will congratulate him for anything - I'd personally be pretty embarrassed by that. It's useless at best and actively distracting at worst.

Right or wrong, the mod is at a point where efficiency matters and the realities will stare him in the face if not bite him. Really, I'm just most motivated by having lost the music. I liked it.

I'm not angry, and I don't dispute the choice is ultimately up to him. But I do think a valid argument is liable to affect him even if he doesn't acknowledge or appreciate it. It's clear there are a lot of people here on this forum, and probably on his Discord, that will congratulate him for anything - I'd personally be pretty embarrassed by that. It's useless at best and actively distracting at worst.
I didn't say you were angry, and it seems to me you've presented your point(s) and he acknowledged them. Perhaps he even appreciated them.

Really, I'm just most motivated by having lost the music.
My understanding is that the composer of the music wanted to monetize it, and that Re-Logic said no if it were part of the mod. I may be wrong about that or about some aspects of it, but I don't think this was entirely up to Mountain Drew.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something here... The question is however: Why would they monetize the music they have provided for Calamity mod for free? As far as I know, This music provided was made by the composer specifically for the calamity mod and therefor should be kept free. that seems a little like "Oh, let's just use the popularity of a mod to make money." - Which feels a little bit weird IMO. The better question is, what would the monetization look like? Having to pay for the mod or what? No offense but even if that would happen, a download for free would be provided somewhere faster than the creator of the music could count their money.

Well, moving on from that. I've actually came up with a semi-complicated idea about how we could make life-steal work without making it either overpowered or useless. Every weapon that possesses lifesteal has 2 new stats coming along with it: Health transfer and health deterioration
  • Health Transfer: Determines the health you will get back, either percentage or flat. I would recommend flat as this could solve potential issues with crits, DPS builds etc.
  • Health Deterioration: The amount of lifesteal possible before the efficiency of said lifesteal weapon deteriorates.
To put an example:

Vampire Knives:
31 melee damage
4% Critical strike chance
Use time of 15
Knock-back of 2.75
Health Transfer: 2 for each knife.
Health Deterioration amount: 50%
Health Deterioration Trigger: 200
Health Deterioration cooldown: 30 seconds.

TO explain this. Vampire Knives can steal 2 health per knife. Which basically sums up to 8 - 16 health per volley (4 - 8 knifes) and about a total of I believe 24 - 48 health per second. Sounds like a lot, it is. The Health Deterioration sets in once 200 health have been healed within a short period. I consider the short period as 10 seconds in normal, 15 seconds in expert and 20 seconds in revengeance. Once the first heal has been applied, the debuff "Vampire's limit" appears. There is no way to protect against this debuff. Within this debuff span, any healing is summed up. So, if your weapon as example reaches 200 healing now, it's efficiency is reduced by 50% for 30 seconds. This would mean it's now only 4 - 8 health per bullet, or 12 - 24 health per second. In normal mode, this debuff should only apply once and only refresh itself if the player heals said amount again within another 10 second span. In expert and revengeance, this debuff could stack diminishingly. So that would mean 50% reduction, then 75% reduction, then 82.5% reduction and so on.

That way: you could add even more healing weapons with even higher healing effects. Hell, even a weapon that leeches like 100 health per shot, and one shot every 2 seconds, but deteriorates by like 80% after 200 health has been reached, making this weapon only heal 20 health per shot, so only 10 health per second.

If you catch my point.

The music is split off from the mod due to file size reasons, making it easier for us to build and test the main mod. It's in a separate mod now called Calamity Mod Music. Although DM Dokuro, the composer, is indeed monetizing the music, it does not have to be removed from the mod itself.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something here... The question is however: Why would they monetize the music they have provided for Calamity mod for free? As far as I know, This music provided was made by the composer specifically for the calamity mod and therefor should be kept free. that seems a little like "Oh, let's just use the popularity of a mod to make money." - Which feels a little bit weird IMO. The better question is, what would the monetization look like? Having to pay for the mod or what? No offense but even if that would happen, a download for free would be provided somewhere faster than the creator of the music could count their money.

Well, moving on from that. I've actually came up with a semi-complicated idea about how we could make life-steal work without making it either overpowered or useless. Every weapon that possesses lifesteal has 2 new stats coming along with it: Health transfer and health deterioration
  • Health Transfer: Determines the health you will get back, either percentage or flat. I would recommend flat as this could solve potential issues with crits, DPS builds etc.
  • Health Deterioration: The amount of lifesteal possible before the efficiency of said lifesteal weapon deteriorates.
To put an example:

Vampire Knives:
31 melee damage
Use time of 15
Knock-back of 2.75

TO explain this. Vampire Knives can steal 2 health per knife. Which basically sums up to 8 - 16 health per volley (4 - 8 knifes) and about a total of I believe 24 - 48 health per second. Sounds like a lot, it is. The Health Deterioration sets in once 200 health have been healed within a short period. I consider the short period as 10 seconds in normal, 15 seconds in expert and 20 seconds in revengeance. Once the first heal has been applied, the debuff "Vampire's limit" appears. There is no way to protect against this debuff. Within this debuff span, any healing is summed up. So, if your weapon as example reaches 200 healing now, it's efficiency is reduced by 50% for 30 seconds. This would mean it's now only 4 - 8 health per bullet, or 12 - 24 health per second. In normal mode, this debuff should only apply once and only refresh itself if the player heals said amount again within another 10 second span. In expert and revengeance, this debuff could stack diminishingly. So that would mean 50% reduction, then 75% reduction, then 82.5% reduction and so on.

That way: you could add even more healing weapons with even higher healing effects. Hell, even a weapon that leeches like 100 health per shot, and one shot every 2 seconds, but deteriorates by like 80% after 200 health has been reached, making this weapon only heal 20 health per shot, so only 10 health per second.

If you catch my point.
100% in support of your idea

I'm gonna put everything in spoilers so as to not summon the Wall of Text.

I'm sorry, but who are you again?
Please, TRY HARDER to be more respectful of the team's work, if you don't like it; go play Thorium or something.

If you don't like the mod then stop playing it, dude. Fabsol's not going to overhaul everything Calamity has just because you disagree with how good it is. Get over it, and either deal with it, or move on and play something else. It isn't up to him to make a mod that fits your standards.

If you want to talk :red:, go ahead, but don't act like you know what you're talking about, or you can speak for other people and what they do for this mod. If you don't like the mod, don't play it, and go somewhere else.

Keep thinking that, I can't stop you. But I'm going to reiterate once more because I'm just... kind of done with dealing with you? There's no point in arguing with someone too thick to take in logic and reasoning over salt and fury. Nobody's getting the short end of the stick here, no matter how pissed you are about the mod not being what you want it to be. Again, If you don't like the mod, then stop :red:ing playing it. Fabsol isn't going to change his mind on his decisions over the rage of a single person who doesn't like what this mod has to offer.
Go outside and do something else with your life. If you've got a response, I don't really care, I don't intend on responding.

If you want a different experience play something else.

Yhis discussion only recently escalated due to someone dragging the mod through the dirt.

If you don't like what's going on with this mod, why do you care about it?

If it's not to your liking, maybe you should move on.

gmilr7qnwpfz.png

(Fittingly, Rick's response to that is, "I know. Everyone wants people they like to be right. That's why popular people are :red:ing dumb.")

xAD9wd0.png

It seems to me you've presented your point(s) and he acknowledged them. Perhaps he even appreciated them.

I don't have much to say in response to this. I feel you are wrong in pretty much every aspect of this post.

WUiv72q.png

It's an unfortunate turn for anyone who got Piss Ocean instead of Dokuro's compositions.

I freakin' LOVE "Wasteland"; it's such a chill track. Like you said, there's not a lot of items worth getting from the Sulphurous Sea, but the music box is one! Or it would be, if my wimpy 350-dollar laptop could handle the mod with music...

Flamingo, I've got a mod of my own in the works, and I'd be honored to have you share your thoughts on it. PM if interested.

Last edited:
I'm gonna put everything in spoilers so as to not summon the Wall of Text.

gmilr7qnwpfz.png

(Fittingly, Rick's response to that is, "I know. Everyone wants people they like to be right. That's why popular people are :red:ing dumb.")

xAD9wd0.png

WUiv72q.png

I freakin' LOVE "Wasteland"; it's such a chill track. Like you said, there's not a lot of items worth getting from the Sulphurous Sea, but the music box is one! Or it would be, if my wimpy 350-dollar laptop could handle the mod with music...

Flamingo, I've got a mod of my own in the works, and I'd be honored to have you share your thoughts on it. PM if interested.
@Technotoad64 Please don’t do this. It’s unneccessry and just keeps the drama alive. The situation has been handled and it’s time to move on.

The music is split off from the mod due to file size reasons, making it easier for us to build and test the main mod. It's in a separate mod now called Calamity Mod Music. Although DM Dokuro, the composer, is indeed monetizing the music, it does not have to be removed from the mod itself.
Kinda but not really, it was done since the music eat up so much memory it became impossible to run Calamity on 32bit systems. This was done to not gate the mod to 64bit systems only.

To put an example:

Vampire Knives:
31 melee damage
Use time of 15
Knock-back of 2.75

If you catch my point.
100% in support of your idea
100% with ya on this. Even in the base game I always felt that heal-on-hit weapons were OP

@Technotoad64 Please don’t do this. It’s unneccessry and just keeps the drama alive. The situation has been handled and it’s time to move on.
100% as well

The reason I said "if you don't like, don't play it" was because the way the critique was worded was poor and almost insulting in a way with how he critiqued the abyss and the lore, so excuse me for not taking it seriously. Whether I take a critique seriously depends on various things, mostly the wording of it and if the critique isn't filled with logical fallacies and emotionally-charged statements.

Starting a critique with "how embarrassing" or "as far as I know" makes you look pretty inflammatory and uninformed and deflates the points you made currently and previously. Keep in mind that a critique only has as much value as the reader(s) of the critique derive(s) from it.

And if you want to compare me to a cartoon character due to what I said, go right ahead, you're only making yourself look worse.

That is all I had left to say on this matter and I will not say any more, to prevent it from continuing on a downward spiral.

Now that that's out of the way, I'll make some changes to the healing adjustments in Calamity that will hopefully help.

Kinda but not really, it was done since the music eat up so much memory it became impossible to run Calamity on 32bit systems. This was done to not gate the mod to 64bit systems only.
That was indeed the other reason. Building got immensely slow for us as well, though, due to the massive file size. The reasons together gave us more than enough incentive to split it off.

Back
Top Bottom