tModLoader Calamity Mod

What would you like me to create more of?

• NPCs (enemies, house NPCs, etc.)

Votes: 1,170 19.5%
  • Bosses

Votes: 2,449 40.8%
  • Items (Accessories, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 1,580 26.3%
  • Vanity (furniture, armor sets, etc.)

Votes: 437 7.3%
  • Mineable Stuff (Ores, Blocks, etc.)

Votes: 372 6.2%

• Total voters
Starting a critique with "how embarrassing" or "as far as I know" makes you look pretty inflammatory and uninformed and deflates the points you made currently and previously. Keep in mind that a critique only has as much value as the reader(s) of the critique derive(s) from it.
When Nero Caesar received a critique from one of his political opponents, the critique included the accusation that Nero was a poor lute player. Nero responded by saying he was god's gift to the lute, and that if his opponents were willing to misrepresent Nero's skill with the lute, they were willing to lie about everything else and all criticisms directed against him were thus invalid. In spite of this clever deflection, hundreds of years later, "While Rome burned, Nero played the fiddle," continues to be a popular saying.

If there's a valid argument for why Calamity needs the Abyss, Planetoids, the Calamity biome, the Undertale references, the Drunken Princess, the "lore", and so much other chaff, I haven't read it yet. If this makes me ignorant, so says you. However, I would take some caution regarding the amount of blind praise you're getting here and likely in your Discord where you're able to exert more control over the dialogue. While criticism should always be taken with salt and the knowledge of your project that an outsider can't possess, the same is equally if not more true of adulation.

If there's a valid argument for why Calamity needs the Abyss, Planetoids, the Calamity biome, the Undertale references, the Drunken Princess, the "lore", and so much other chaff, I haven't read it yet.
Let me answer this question with another question. Why does Terraria need the Snow biome and underground ice biome? It doesn't have anything significant in it you need, other than a few different looking accessories that do however serve the same purpose, or blocks you can turn into furniture which admittedly looks nice.. And there are no bosses, no minerals or materials you could use for useful equipment. Or why do we have the forest biome? There is also no significant use for it. In fact, it only has trees. But so does the jungle. Or the ice biome in that regard.

Normal Terraria also has references to games like The legend of Zelda, Mario, Portal 2... Are they now unjustified to exist?

You see, certain things don't need a particular reason to exist. They exist in games because people wanted them to be in it. The Abyss as example has something that biomes like the snow biome lack in. Useful drops, minable ores that you can turn into equipment. It has chests that contain some useful equipment. I cannot say the same about the snow or underground ice biome. Even if that's my favorite biome, I can't talk it useful or great, because it doesn't have it.

If in your eyes things really need a reason to exist, then why do games like Starpoint Gemini 2 as example have anomalies? They don't add anything with substance into the game. Why did Warframe add Kuria into the game to explain a story of almost no relevance to the game? I can apply the same thing to every other game. Because every game has something it doesn't particularly need. But it still exists and I bet you also make use of these things.

There's no harm in adding things like the Abyss biome as long as the space is open and limitations of the distribution platform or system RAM isn't in the way. If Terraria had to shrink for some reason, perhaps they would cut the snow biome. When they first released the game, there was no hardmode, there was no Hallow - the game was released without those things to meet its basic goals within a reasonable time frame, and following the success of the initial release they added to it.

Once cutting has to occur, or you run into objective limits, the question of whether certain aspects of the mod are really necessary is quite valid. I'm not even saying there's no audience for the Abyss or Planetoids - just that it should be cut from Calamity and released standing alone, because they can mostly stand alone. Right now cutting the music may save a lot of space at the expense of ambiance, but since the Abyss was a superfluous addition inspired by another video game, I'm not sure if down the line that we can't expect more references to other games and more problems with space and memory constraints.

The starter bag, planetoids, evil island, ice tomb, and biome shrines, while fine additions, have nothing to do with the rest of Calamity (except for Cinderplate and Exodium Clusters found in the planetoids, which are, even then, only used in five items). Considering they're just faster ways of getting the exact same content already present in vanilla, they should be in a separate mod, especially considering how big Calamity is.

Last edited:
When Nero Caesar received a critique from one of his political opponents, the critique included the accusation that Nero was a poor lute player. Nero responded by saying he was god's gift to the lute, and that if his opponents were willing to misrepresent Nero's skill with the lute, they were willing to lie about everything else and all criticisms directed against him were thus invalid. In spite of this clever deflection, hundreds of years later, "While Rome burned, Nero played the fiddle," continues to be a popular saying.

If there's a valid argument for why Calamity needs the Abyss, Planetoids, the Calamity biome, the Undertale references, the Drunken Princess, the "lore", and so much other chaff, I haven't read it yet. If this makes me ignorant, so says you. However, I would take some caution regarding the amount of blind praise you're getting here and likely in your Discord where you're able to exert more control over the dialogue. While criticism should always be taken with salt and the knowledge of your project that an outsider can't possess, the same is equally if not more true of adulation.

Just to put a foot in the door here... I was part of the "remove SCal's hit counter" argument here, and advocated very heavily against it, providing several arguments in favour of its removal.

While I can say that there is blind praise being given to Fabsol, this really isn't incredibly common, and it isn't in the majority, either. Yes, if you scroll through this forum, you're gonna see a lot of comments saying how great this mod is to people, and that they like it a lot, but you'll also see complaints and criticisms. A lot of people in the "suggestions" channel on the Calamity Discord have criticisms of certain updates Fabsol has put out, offering differing opinions on how things should be run... And the devs do listen, they add certain things suggested every once in a while, and make changes based on how agreed upon it is by the community. Fabsol isn't being worshipped in the context of this mod blindly by everybody, people are critical of this mod quite often.

Fabsol isn't saying that your argument is invalid due to the fact you're being critical of him. He's directly stating that you haven't backed up your statements with any physical evidence in the things you've presented in order to oppose him. You're using literally only opinions to try and curve his opinion, of course people are going to look down on your argument; it holds no ground due to you trying to argue against evidence with no evidence of your own. He isn't claiming you're invalid due to "if you oppose me you're in the wrong."

I mean, dude, be real. In the middle of this argument, people had criticisms on the life drain cooldown, and Fabsol recently just added to his list of updates...

ac7ea53bd6.png

Last edited:
Just a reminder, before anyone calls Fabsol all mighty, remember he used to be just a lone coder asking for help like alot of us do.

Seriously, look at the 1st reply in this thread on the 1st page and see what he first wrote for the mod's forum page and see yourself.

I don't how it went, but I can imagine it went along the lines of him getting some help, being in a small team. And Calamity growing to the point of others wanting to join the team and that's how we got here.

If the team wasn't as strong as it is, Calamity would have died out a long time ago; consider that.

I mean, dude, be real. In the middle of this argument, people had criticisms on the life drain cooldown, and Fabsol recently just added to his list of updates...
I'm hesitant to respond to this because it's a partial rollback on a nerf to a vanilla mechanics. A nerf that made vampire knives non-viable and thus removed them from your options. Fabsol did a similar thing to the Reaver Shark and the fact that people have to ask him not to take things away from the base game is more a cause for concern than for celebration.

If the team wasn't as strong as it is, Calamity would have died out a long time ago; consider that.
I don't know what it's like in the Calamity team. People may have come and gone over the years and a bad dynamic can survive for decades as long as nothing reaches a breaking point.

But these things seem aside from the point and feel more like arguments about Fabsol's character.

I genuinely feel this argument and this thread have both become absolutely deadlocked at this point.

People are currently hesitant to really comment anything, as the only comments so far have been about arguments and retorts, trying to win over someone else about things that literally do not matter. We're over here arguing about things that aren't going to change no matter what. Everything about this has quickly devolved into pointless drabble and nobody should walk away from this feeling like they've made a difference. Fabsol clearly has no intent on reevaluating his choices, and neither does anyone else. Nobody's being swayed. This has quickly become absolutely pathetic.

With that being said, I've looked at this entire argument, and I've found it to be rather petty, even on my part.

I'm ready to move on. I hope everybody else is too. Restore this thread back to what it was supposed to be, and what it always has been, as opposed to a place for hosting an argument that really, really does not matter.

Fabsol did talk about the why of the rogue class being "a secret that could cost people their job" and the developers keep talking about huge changes in 1.3.6 so... who knows. Personally, though, if this is true, I wouldn't have included rogue damage in the mod yet, unless it is a beta testing (and I find strange for beta testing to happen in a mod, no matter how popular is).

edit: Aparently, I mixed Reddit with Redigit.

Last edited:
So, guys, i need help. I was playing calamity mod with some other mods, but then when i took a quick break and loaded my world right after, my terraria crashed. I was turning the mods on and off, i discovered that it was the calamity mod causing the issue.

A image of the crash log i keep getting:
https://imgur.com/a/p7bESSv

Ya, apparently calamity is broken with large worlds. only things I have enabled are the music and the main mod and it works fine when loading a medium or small world, but a large gives a memory exception, that stands the same without the music also. anyone know when thatll be fixed?

Ya, apparently calamity is broken with large worlds. only things I have enabled are the music and the main mod and it works fine when loading a medium or small world, but a large gives a memory exception, that stands the same without the music also. anyone know when thatll be fixed?
There's no real way to fix it, Terraria is 32 bit and can only use a small portion of RAM making large mods like Calamity crash the game easily. There is tmodloader 64 bit but it is not fully stable from my knowledge.
[doublepost=1549067391,1549066953][/doublepost]I'm not sure if this is were I should post suggestions but it would be really cool if you would turn the Siren's Song (pre fight) into a music box. I love that track so much and it would be nice if I didn't have to travel to an ocean to hear it. I also must say that the Cosmic Kunai is just a l i l bit OP (though it is fun as hell to use).

I'm not sure if this is were I should post suggestions but it would be really cool if you would turn the Siren's Song (pre fight) into a music box. I love that track so much and it would be nice if I didn't have to travel to an ocean to hear it. I also must say that the Cosmic Kunai is just a l i l bit OP (though it is fun as hell to use).
Next update adds the rest of the music tracks as music boxes: Cultist's theme, Bumblebirb, the Yharon trilogy, and the Leviathan trilogy (including Siren's Call).

Last edited:
@Flamingo mate, can you code, can you sprite, can you write a compelling story, can you lead?
Do you have any idea what's like to be judged for doing something that, may I remind everyone: "are not getting paid for"?

Fabsol can't just walk away from Calamity, not anymore, the story isn't complete and he'd suffer far worse if he did.
But once things are complete, than he can rest easy, like Diverman Sam.

I don't know what it's like in the Calamity team
Precisely, you don't know a damn thing mate. I know what these things are like outside of Terraria, and let me tell ya it's NOT EASY and it takes a very LONG TIME.

But these things seem aside from the point and feel more like arguments about Fabsol's character.
Who, cares.
You and your white-knight friends are the only people who even care about that, stop being so ignorant. You've got a grudge against Fabsol likely because you :red:ed at him and he blocked you or something, and then you cried to help because you didn't get your way.

Do everyone a favor: grow up, and move ON; I'm not going to feed you attention any longer.

@Flamingo mate, can you code, can you sprite, can you write a compelling story, can you lead?
Do you have any idea what's like to be judged for doing something that, may I remind everyone: "are not getting paid for"?

Fabsol can't just walk away from Calamity, not anymore, the story isn't complete and he'd suffer far worse if he did.
But once things are complete, than he can rest easy, like Diverman Sam.

Precisely, you don't know a damn thing mate. I know what these things are like outside of Terraria, and let me tell ya it's NOT EASY and it takes a very LONG TIME.

Who, cares.
You and your white-knight friends are the only people who even care about that, stop being so ignorant. You've got a grudge against Fabsol likely because you :red:ed at him and he blocked you or something, and then you cried to help because you didn't get your way.

Do everyone a favor: grow up, and move ON; I'm not going to feed you attention any longer.
Everyone needs to move on. This is getting tiresome.

This is for everyone posting here: Focus on the mod, not people. Your posting privileges in this thread may be removed if you don’t. We aren’t going to have this back and forth bickering.

This is for everyone posting here: Focus on the mod, not people. Your posting privileges in this thread may be removed if you don’t. We aren’t going to have this back and forth bickering.

Thank you.

It does feel upsetting to have to read through arguments just to know how the mod is going along.

Now that a penalty is attached to continuing the argument, it hopefully ends or moves elsewhere.

amen. That was the last thing I had to say to get it off my chest, you won't hear any thing else about it from me.

Ok so double post so I can change topic and people get notified:

I've watched some videos of this new boss rush mode, and I got thinking... There's a boss missing from this.

Where's Betsy?

Back
Top Bottom