tModLoader Calamity Mod

What would you like me to create more of?

• NPCs (enemies, house NPCs, etc.)

Votes: 1,170 19.5%
  • Bosses

Votes: 2,449 40.8%
  • Items (Accessories, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 1,580 26.3%
  • Vanity (furniture, armor sets, etc.)

Votes: 437 7.3%
  • Mineable Stuff (Ores, Blocks, etc.)

Votes: 372 6.2%

• Total voters
Ok some people said to me that I dont know that my bugs were from the calamity update. I was today one hour testing and my conclusión is that the update bugged the game. Like I said the other day when I deactivate calamity my "corrupted" character becomes uncorrupted obviously without calamity items, they are showed with the "ITEM" icon. So if like I said, there's a way to download the 1.4.1? Please I want to play again calamity like before even if I cant play with the new biome

How Armageddon got past testing I'll never know
I don't hate the concept of a boss fight that gives you more boss bags if you do well. It's nice for Skeletron, who you otherwise can't fight again without killing the clothier. I think the main problem with it is that "no hit" is really silly for bossess that spam indiscriminate projectiles. The Destroyer releases all those probes and lasers, especially in "Revengance", and even if you know what you're doing you may get tagged once or twice by stray fire - it's okay normally because they don't do a lot of damage but if it's instant-kill, it's instant kill.

I think the main issue is that Terraria itself just isn't designed around high octane boss battles. If you pay attention, you'll notice a lot of the best weapons are crafted from enemy drops, or farmed from field enemies directly. Up until the Moonlord you tend not to be farming a boss for that level's top equipment, except for of course the Wall of Flesh to obtain your class emblem. The mechanics for fighting bosses aren't amazingly tight, so making a standard boss fight more challenging is a difficult proposition.

Something else I questioned is the introduction of... weapons that deal percentage damage

See, and this is what I actually don't get. Sure, the Daedalus Stormbow is pretty powerful against the Destroyer if you farm a bunch of holy arrows, but to use it at that level you have to spend a lot of time killing pixies and unicorns for the ammo. So Calamity nerfs the bow and holy arrows, but turns around and gives you the Halibut Cannon, and now guns that do percentage damage to specific bosses. What exactly is the message here? What am I supposed to be taking away?

Because if the message is that Fabsol doesn't trust me not to use the Stormbow on the Destroyer, why does he trust me not to use the Halibut Cannon on it? Obviously it's not an issue of feeling players are forced to the weapon. Does he think the Stormbow has too much longevity? Well clearly not, because guns that do percentage damage can last all game, and by design the Halibut gets stronger as the game progresses.

Calamity cuts off vanilla things, nerfs their mechanics, but then introduces a much worse design philosophy with its own weapons and equipment.

Ok some people said to me that I dont know that my bugs were from the calamity update. I was today one hour testing and my conclusión is that the update bugged the game. Like I said the other day when I deactivate calamity my "corrupted" character becomes uncorrupted obviously without calamity items, they are showed with the "ITEM" icon. So if like I said, there's a way to download the 1.4.1? Please I want to play again calamity like before even if I cant play with the new biome
The 1.4.1 download is on the discord.

The bullets for those guns cost multiple platinum to purchase, if someone wants to use their time to earn the ammo then I really don't see the problem. I used to have a problem with features like these but in reality it's another way for the player to make a choice, work to earn the power or just work with what you already have.

And again, you are welcome to not like something. The moment you start insulting it and simultaneously the people that work on it though? That's when it starts to get a bit iffy.

Also, please understand the difference between subjectivity and objectivity. Art can be objectively good or bad, it's not purely grounded in opinion, regardless of what some people like to believe.

You are welcome to dislike Thorium even though objectively it is, based on the content and what the mod is trying to achieve (a massive expansion of vanilla whilst trying to maintain vanilla style as best it can), one of the best mods for Terraria.

The same same way you are welcome to dislike Calamity even though objectively it is, based on the content included and what it is trying to achieve (a difficulty and vanilla progression altering expansion), one of the best mods for Terraria.

You are welcome to not like something, but at least have the dignity to recognize what each mod is trying to achieve and the work that went into them.

The bullets for those guns cost multiple platinum to purchase, if someone wants to use their time to earn the ammo then I really don't see the problem. I used to have a problem with features like these but in reality it's another way for the player to make a choice, work to earn the power or just work with what you already have.

And again, you are welcome to not like something. The moment you start insulting it and simultaneously the people that work on it though? That's when it starts to get a bit iffy.

Also, please understand the difference between subjectivity and objectivity. Art can be objectively good or bad, it's not purely grounded in opinion, regardless of what some people like to believe.

You are welcome to dislike Thorium even though objectively it is, based on the content and what the mod is trying to achieve (a massive expansion of vanilla whilst trying to maintain vanilla style as best it can), one of the best mods for Terraria.

The same same way you are welcome to dislike Calamity even though objectively it is, based on the content included and what it is trying to achieve (a difficulty and vanilla progression altering expansion), one of the best mods for Terraria.

You are welcome to not like something, but at least have the dignity to recognize what each mod is trying to achieve and the work that went into them.
Sure the ammo is expensive but I feel it needs more cost, more downsides to discourage using it. Maybe it's heavy and slows player movement?

When I play mods I openly "Refuse" to use items I think that are overpowered and grant too much control.
I will leave feedback thinking this OP, and even if it isn't nerfed that's fine, I'll just not use it.

When did I start insulting anyone? I'm happy this mod even exists! That this mod wasn't canceled and died off a long time ago! That among all the BS you get from likely 1000's of people if not more, you keep pushing on; that's dedication if I've ever seen it.

Calamity is, Calamity. Calamity is not Thorium, Calamity is not Tremor, Calamity is not Sacred Tools (I can say that until Dan releases the new mod).
So telling Fabsol to make his mod like the other great mods will ultimately... Make an uninteresting mod since we've already seen and played it before.

And no one wants that.

And how can I put the versión in the mod loader. Well first is making a discord account and search for the version
You actually don't upload it to the mod loader. That's an online database. What you do instead is copy/paste the mod file (CalamityMod.tmod) into documents/my games/Terraria/ModLoader/Mods
Or something like that, depending on your OS. It's a manual installation to rollback versions.

please understand the difference between subjectivity and objectivity.
Fabsol, "objective" is a statement like:
"Calamity has over 2,000 downloads!"

Subjective is a statement like:
"Calamity is the best mod!"

The first is a fact, the second is an opinion. Also I don't know if Calamity downloads is all that huge of a benchmark to judge quality by, because word on the crabbier parts of the internet is that each new "version" is treated as a new download, so every minor update leads to more downloads. I don't know if that's how the metrics actually work, but if you wanted to get into the value of downloads you'd probably need more comprehensive analytics. The number of lifetime downloads is kinda meaningless - rolling averages per update with an in-depth look of how much time is spent playing Terraria shortly after the file is downloaded might begin to scratch the surface and give you a modest shape of what's going on from the player's perspective.

Magnum Rounds cost 6 platinum for one bullet, Grenade Shells cost 9 platinum for one bullet, and an Explosive Shotgun Shell costs 13 platinum and 50 gold.

The Arms Dealer is price gouging here, if you want him to gouge more then so be it, I'm fine with.

Personally, I believe a system should be introduced so that you cannot grind bosses for the percentage-damaging ammo to further reduce the risk of players simply killing one boss that has been rendered an absolute cakewalk with their level of progression.

I'm just gonna pull random boss examples out here; let's say you kill the Eye of Cthulhu for the first time. It will drop the bullets or whatever it would drop, and you can continue killing that boss to get more and more of that ammo. It will be a difficult boss until say, around Skeletron. After killing Skeletron, you have access to a vast amount of gear and weaponry that is objectively far stronger than what you had at the Eye of Cthulhu's progression level, and stands fair chance of tearing the Eye to shreds with far less risk.

The fix? The Eye no longer drops the bullets. If you want them, kill something stronger.

EDIT: Also, why isn't the Mollusk Armour just summoner armour? It literally has summons with it, why not just make it another available set? Summoners could use more content in the mod.

Last edited:
Personally, I believe a system should be introduced so that you cannot grind bosses for the percentage-damaging ammo to further reduce the risk of players simply killing one boss that has been rendered an absolute cakewalk with their level of progression.

I'm just gonna pull random boss examples out here; let's say you kill the Eye of Cthulhu for the first time. It will drop the bullets or whatever it would drop, and you can continue killing that boss to get more and more of that ammo. It will be a difficult boss until say, around Skeletron. After killing Skeletron, you have access to a vast amount of gear and weaponry that is objectively far stronger than what you had at the Eye of Cthulhu's progression level, and stands fair chance of tearing the Eye to shreds with far less risk.

The fix? The Eye no longer drops the bullets. If you want them, kill something stronger.
That's not the case, ammo only drops on the first kill

But...

I could install more mods that add more bosses and just stock pile the ammo for that one boss that is giving me trouble.
Your honestly only really going to pulling these weapons out near the end of the game, past moonlord, at that point you can likely effort some more ammo if you don't have a ton.

Magnum Rounds cost 6 platinum for one bullet, Grenade Shells cost 9 platinum for one bullet, and an Explosive Shotgun Shell costs 13 platinum and 50 gold.

The Arms Dealer is price gouging here, if you want him to gouge more then so be it, I'm fine with.
I think you're actually in the trap of the "OP Doomsday Weapon", where you have a weapon mechanic that's too strong to be balanced. You can either make it so ammo is so rare that the weapons are useless for the trouble, or the weapons are too strong. Think about it. For simple math's sake, if we imagine every boss takes 5% of their health in damage from this gun's attack, then you have to shoot any of those bosses 20 times with the gun to defeat them. And that is something that is objective because it's quantifiable.

Do the math. If the Desert Scourge has 4,240 health and it takes 20 bullets to kill it, what are those bullet worth? Now look at Yharon: it has over 4 million HP, but still only takes 20 bullets to kill. How much is the ammo worth when it shoots Yharon? The bullets are worth 1000 times more when used on Yharon. You can't balance this mechanic, you can only move it along a sliding scale between useless and blatantly OP.

Moreover you miss the point, because I'm trying to say I don't get why you want to implement weapons like this while simultaneously nerfing vanilla equipment that, frankly, were balanced better than these are.

True, very true, it only really starts to show how powerful it is in the late game. I still question this in general since no other mod has a feature like this because as the forenamed statement because of how difficult it would be to balance (and any mods that do have features like this restrict it to non-bosses only)

Here's something I do: If something requires alot of pointless, dumb grinding, I "fake" doing the grinding and just cheat the grinded items in to save on time so I can get to the more interesting parts of the mod. It doesn't matter if you make the bullets cost 999 plat, this logic still means they can be farmed in time.

Now look at Yharon: it has over 4 million HP, but still only takes 20 bullets to kill.
Correction, it takes 40 (He gets all his HP back in phase 2), or 60 is count both fights.

That's not the case, ammo only drops on the first kill

But...

I could install more mods that add more bosses and just stock pile the ammo for that one boss that is giving me trouble.
Your honestly only really going to pulling these weapons out near the end of the game, past moonlord, at that point you can likely effort some more ammo if you don't have a ton.

Ahh, shoot. I wasn't aware of the full mechanics of this; I haven't played the update yet! But just reading off of the wiki made all of this seem very... not okay as it was.

I mean, why bother use any other weapon when these are practically good the whole game?

Ammo an issue? Not a problem for duping exploits

Don't believe me? This

EDIT: my underlying point is, you need to consider ALL possibilities when making an item and how people will use it.

EDIT AGAIN: This doesn't change how I felt in previous posts, again, it's just feedback.

Last edited:
Why even bother playing if you just want to dupe an OP item then beat the final boss ridiculously fast

I mean other than speedrunning this removes the entire point of playing

EDIT: If you want to quickly beat it but need more mods => more bosses => more ammo why not just get/make a mod that gives you an instakill sword for a piece of dirt

Hi, has anyone been able to get the mod to work on 32bit system? This old pc I had used to run everything fine, until recently where after the updates it gives me a memory out of exception error.

The old versions worked completely fine, it was after a specific update at some point that it stopped loading. One person on the discord server had a similar problem until the switched to 64 bit, so before I tried the same thing I wanted to get a second opinion.

In my opinion, unless you can find some great emulator(which you should send to me if you find ;) you should just update; 32 and 64 bit are pretty much incompatible in my experience

Okay thanks :)
[doublepost=1552111272,1552110829][/doublepost]Okay so after the update, mod randomly working now. It is actually kinda sad how happy I am right now.

Back
Top Bottom