tModLoader Calamity Mod

What would you like me to create more of?

• NPCs (enemies, house NPCs, etc.)

Votes: 1,170 19.5%
  • Bosses

Votes: 2,449 40.8%
  • Items (Accessories, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 1,580 26.3%
  • Vanity (furniture, armor sets, etc.)

Votes: 437 7.3%
  • Mineable Stuff (Ores, Blocks, etc.)

Votes: 372 6.2%

• Total voters
Too bad Fabsol isn't going to confirm any of that on the forums ever.
But it does confirm he indeed does gate content. How would he know about this before anyone else?

So, I guess the mystery is solved, then. "Why would Fab add Rogue when Throwing already exists?" Because he knew Throwing won't exist for much longer. And he couldn't tell us why because whatever (possibly clandestine) deal he has with somebody officially involved with ReLogic must've included the condition that he can't share any of the information that he gets from them to the public.

The implications of this are kinda crazy. With Throwing getting removed, tons and tons of throwing content added by other mods has the following options:
  1. Remove the content
  2. Change the content to Ranged (like vanilla is)
  3. Re-add the Throwing class
  4. Change the content to Calamity's Rogue
Completely removing so much content seems unlikely, changing the content to ranged would give ranged a lot more modded content per tier than other classes (considering that the throwing content added by these mods is frequently a "one for each class" kind of thing), and re-implementing the throwing class would either result in multiple throwing clones (all of which are incompatible with other mods' versions) or require some kind of agreement between multiple mods as to which one includes the throwing class, and which ones add to it (which would mean a lot of cross-mod content for whichever mod gets to host it). The last option is that a lot of mods would all decide to change a significant amount of their own content to Rogue damage, making it so that these mods now have Calamity as a sort of dependency, which already has a tendency to overpower other mods' stuff. I know the modding scene isn't a competition or anything, but this seems like trickle-down economics.

The only other possibility that I can think of is that several mods band together to re-add Throwing in a way that doesn't require them to compete for it or surrender a large portion of their content to Calamity.
  1. All the mods involved give their throwing content to either
    • An independent modder
    • A modding team including devs from all the mods involved
  2. The new owner of this content makes a "throwing mod" that
    • If enabled by itself, doesn't do anything but change certain vanilla Ranged content back to Throwing
    • If enabled alongside a mod that previously added Throwing content, makes that content available
This "throwing mod" would also have to decide whether or not it wants to change some other things to Throwing that weren't Throwing previously, like vanilla boomerangs.

Of course, take this all with a grain of salt, because I'm probably just being a crackpot conspiracy theorist. :indifferent:

This is very true, however here's my piece on the matter:

--What if Relogic is only removing the base game throwing stuff, and leaving the code in so modded throwing gear still works? Any weapon can still be denoted as throwing by having thrown damage set to true. I'm sure Relogic knows alot of mods would break if they took that value out of the game

and now, a "hopefully not gonna reignite some fire" rant
--After reading through TMODLoader's discord and with previous behavior he's shown, I'm not siding with Fabsol's defense this time. And why Relogic would share this information privately with him supports my content gating claims, it's already known he gates who has the ability to cross mod Calamity.
Now imagine that with Rouge Damage.
He does still read this forum, he just doesn't respond btw.
Without this game, without this API, where would Fabsol be?
Hell, does he even have anything OTHER than Calamity he can use as a portfolio piece?
What did he even make BEFORE Calamity?

If I was him, I'd be thankful of the success my mod as gotten, and not keep expecting the world to bow down and getting moody and depressed from the haters and taking it out on everyone, especially TCF.

Yes, I know Fabsol, I know you don't give a f**k about what I think.
But you know what? I do, I care about this community, and I don't approve of you being a toxic influence to it, that's why I'm talking about this and the choices you've made.

Also I don't even want to get started on how the Calamity team is making money off this...

This got off topic, but I don't support the behavior he's shown to respectable team members of TCF and TMODLoader since I first joined, that's all.

@IDGCaptainRussia - you're crossing a line you don't need to be crossing here. You are basically trolling to start an argument.

Talk about the mod - fine.

Talk about your opinion about what kind of person the mod creator is - not welcome here. Please keep such opinions to yourself.

(and since you've been warned about this before - your posting privileges in this thread have been revoked.)

Last edited:
So recently I saw a video titled,
"Befriending an Impossibly Powerful Worm in Terraria"
And there's all sorts of stuff speaking of an Eidolon Wyrm pet or summon which would be lit. So that's my suggestion. Make the pet (Cuz that'd be absolutely fantastic) and we'll love you people forever.

So recently I saw a video titled,
"Befriending an Impossibly Powerful Worm in Terraria"
And there's all sorts of stuff speaking of an Eidolon Wyrm pet or summon which would be lit. So that's my suggestion. Make the pet (Cuz that'd be absolutely fantastic) and we'll love you people forever.
Not sure if there should be an Eidolon Wyrm summon weapon because there's already a post-Polterghast Abyss summon weapon, the Calimari's Lament. Although I love the idea of an Eidolon Wyrm pet!

Just putting this here...

bc4876d2a1.png

To anyone thinking Fabsol was holding back for no good reason, it's a bad idea to just outright leak information for a change that hasn't been revealed yet, this is always damaging to any group of people in management of development for a game unless it is intentional. Fab waited until it was the right time to confirm that, yes, this is the reason why. This isn't "gating," this is just being smart about what you put out there in the public, because it legitimately could have cost people their jobs.

Beyond that, I actually am rather concerned about the removal of the throwing class from Vanilla Terraria. In the base game I personally don't much mind it, but in terms of this mod, that leaves a good portion of Pre-Hardmode gear to be switched over to ranged... Throwers are going to be at a serious disadvantage. I wonder how the team is going to handle it.

Last edited:
Beyond that, I actually am rather concerned about the removal of the throwing class from Vanilla Terraria. In the base game I personally don't much mind it, but in terms of this mod, that leaves a good portion of Pre-Hardmode gear to be switched over to ranged... Throwers are going to be at a serious disadvantage. I wonder how the team is going to handle it.
The deletion of throwing should not affect rogue players that much. Calamity has pretty much dropped all support for throwing. As of now, throwing weapons are pretty much useless for rogue players. Rogue is planned to be expanded upon, so many of the holes in progression that rogue may have will hopefully be patched up.

Talk about your opinion about what kind of person the mod creator is - not welcome here. Please keep such opinions to yourself.
Just to put this out there: does this apply to all threads? Just, in general, people aren't allowed to discuss the conduct of any individuals involved in the creation of works submitted, right? Or is this a single case, not meant to set precedent? Just to be clear, no sarcasm meant.

Calamity team is making money off this...
Which might be bad for fan-games like Pokemon Uranium, but for mods, there's no legal issues because you can't play Calamity without buying Terraria. If anything, Calamity actually helps Terraria's sales. As for making income off of a derivative work, well... It's a Patreon, meaning that they're getting paid to develop the mod, not provide it. The Calamity mod itself is free, you don't have to be a Patron to play it. The fact that they're getting paid to make this seems kinda iffy to me, too, but there's nothing actually wrong with it, as far as I know.

To anyone thinking Fabsol was holding back for no good reason, it's a bad idea to just outright leak information for a change that hasn't been revealed yet, this is always damaging to any group of people in management of development for a game unless it is intentional. Fab waited until it was the right time to confirm that, yes, this is the reason why. This isn't "gating," this is just being smart about what you put out there in the public, because it legitimately could have cost people their jobs.
Okay, but consider this: if the public wasn't supposed to find out about the Throwing removal yet, why did Fabsol know? Isn't Fabsol also part of "the public?" Seems a bit unfair for him to have somehow been told about it way ahead of time when (as far as I know) he doesn't work for Re-Logic.
There's two possible explanations here:
  • A) Quid pro quo shenanigans where Calamity devs are given update spoilers ahead of time, in return for continuing to boost Terraria's sales (like I mentioned before, you can't play Calamity without buying Terraria).
  • B) Fabsol might start working for Re-Logic sometime in the foreseeable future, like Yoraiz0r and Skiphs, or is an official beta tester for it, like
    Yrimir.

Calamity isn't in any trouble regarding this at all, having already removed any Throwing content or changed it to Rogue. Other content mods that add Throwing content are the ones that have a dilemma, though I hear tModLoader is keeping the code for Throwing damage in to alleviate that.

Rouge Damage
Heh, "Rouge". I'd say that's a clever opportunity for the Colored Damage Types mod, but I'm pretty sure it already has red assigned to melee (and doesn't support modded damage types yet).

Last edited:
Just to put this out there: does this apply to all threads? Just, in general, people aren't allowed to discuss the conduct of any individuals involved in the creation of works submitted, right? Or is this a single case, not meant to set precedent? Just to be clear, no sarcasm meant.

Which might be bad for fan-games like Pokemon Uranium, but for mods, there's no legal issues because you can't play Calamity without buying Terraria. If anything, Calamity actually helps Terraria's sales. As for making income off of a derivative work, well... It's a Patreon, meaning that they're getting payed to develop the mod. The Calamity mod itself is free, you don't have to be a Patron to play it. The fact that they're getting paid to make this seems kinda iffy to me, too, but there's nothing actually wrong with it, as far as I know.

Okay, but consider this: if the public wasn't supposed to find out about the Throwing removal yet, why did Fabsol know? Isn't Fabsol also part of "the public?" Seems a bit unfair for him to have somehow been told about it way ahead of time when (as far as I know) he doesn't work for Re-Logic.
There's two possible explanations here:
  • A) Quid pro quo shenanigans where Calamity devs are given update spoilers ahead of time, in return for continuing to boost Terraria's sales (like I mentioned before, you can't play Calamity without buying Terraria).
  • B) Fabsol might start working for Re-Logic sometime in the foreseeable future, like Yoraiz0r and Skiphs, or is an official beta tester for it like
    Yrimir.

Calamity isn't in any trouble regarding this at all, having already removed any Throwing content or changed it to Rogue. Other content mods that add Throwing content are the ones that have a dilemma, though I hear tModLoader is keeping the code for Throwing damage in to alleviate that.

Heh, "Rouge". I'd say that's a clever opportunity for the Colored Damage Types mod, but I'm pretty sure it already has red assigned to melee (and doesn't support modded damage types yet).
I have a feeling Fab is a beta tester, seeing as how while Calamity technically increases sales for Terraria, I don't think it's so direct as insider information would make it.

This is always been the policy on this forum, everywhere on this forum. If someone's conduct on this forum is questionable - report it and let the staff deal with it.

If the behavior happens off the forum (Discord etc.), then deal with it there and don't create drama about it here.

Please keep all of the discussion here in this thread focused on Calamity. If all this thread is going to be now is gossip and complaints about MountainDrew, then it probably needs to be closed.

If someone's conduct on this forum is questionable - report it and let the staff deal with it.
If the behavior happens off the forum (Discord etc.), then deal with it there and don't create drama about it here.
Duly noted.

If all this thread is going to be now is gossip and complaints about MountainDrew, then it probably needs to be closed.
I think gossip and complaints are just a side effect of the fact that this is the biggest and most famous mod on the scene, and most of the complaints specifically targeting Fab have been done by two or three people, one of which you just removed, so that hopefully won't be necessary.

Back
Top Bottom