Official Calling All Terrarians: TCF needs you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunnel King

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
APPLICATION SUBMISSION IS CLOSED!
VRjtWVK.png

Good day, Terrarians!

It is so hard to believe that our beloved Terraria Community Forums is coming up on two years old! In that time, we have seen the build up to and eventual launch of Terraria 1.3, the subsequent 1.3.1 update, the release of Terraria on the Nintendo 3DS, and much more! We hope you will join us in our strong belief that this is just the beginning of what is possible for this community and the future of both Terraria and Re-Logic. As we head toward Year Three, we are looking forward to a healthy TCF, excited to watch it grow even more as we receive a boost in members in the near future.

With all of these events going on, we do recognize that there will be a near-term need for additional people to help out - thus, we are going to be conducting a fresh round of moderator applications! With the possible surge of new activity, and slight coverage gaps, we're hoping to select a small amount of people to assist us on the forum staff.

Below, you will find the process for applying to be a moderator. It is much the same as before, with some improvements based upon learning from any shortcomings from the last time. So, if you have passion for the community and a desire to make the earnest commitment to volunteer to help, we are looking forward to seeing you toss your hat into the ring!

As always, if you have any questions, a TCF staff member should be able to address them.

Thanks as always for your support!

kdcROYP.png

In addition to ramping up in general, we are still seeking to fill a few gaps as best we can on TCF. Since our last application period, we are seeking to supplement our team in two areas: early morning coverage and the Mobile version of Terraria.

- Morning Coverage: The times were are looking for are from approximately 1 AM to 6 AM PST (or 4 AM to 9 AM EST). This would mean that prospective moderators whose timezone or availability favors this time slot would definitely be given increased consideration.

- Mobile Terraria: Very few of our team have much experience with the Mobile version, and we would like to be able to support the Mobile section of the website more effectively by bringing on team members with considerable Mobile experience. Things we would be looking for include:
  • Owning the Mobile version on one or more platforms (iOS/Android/Amazon/Windows Phone or Tablet)
  • Having played the Mobile version enough to have a good understanding of it and what distinguishes it from PC/Console
  • An awareness of some of the issues, bugs, and news regarding the Mobile version on all Mobile platforms

These two areas will be given extra weight when deciding between potential applicants, but rest assured, fulfilling these two criteria will not be required for consideration.

In addition to these special categories, below are a few general qualifications that you should expect to uphold if applying, and especially if selected to be part of the TCF team. For more information about the moderator selection process, visit the User Guide's "Staffing Process" section.
  • It should go without saying that any applicants will be expected to abide by the Staff Expectations, and probably already do follow any part of it that can be applied while being a non-staff member.
  • Have an account here on TCF within good standing: either no warning points acquired, or if warning points have been acquired, reformation of inappropriate behaviors has been shown for a significant amount of time.
  • Have been a member of TCF for at least four months. This is primarily to give us a track record through which we can observe past behavior.
  • Have a good command of the English language and be comfortable communicating in English.
  • A general desire to support Re-Logic, the Terraria franchise, and a positive community experience.
  • A generally positive attitude and an overall desire to help other members and the community at large.
  • NOTE: All TCF Staff are required to sign a Re-Logic NDA. This is to allow for full Dev-Staff interaction while protecting Re-Logic Intellectual Property.

Below is the simple application we are asking each applicant to fill out by creating a thread in our Staffing Application Section with the answers to the following questions posted in the first post. You will only be able to see your own application thread, so if the section appears empty, all is working as intended.

Please note that if you edit your application at any time, this will not necessarily be apparent to us; if you decide to make edits after the first day or so, please make a second post in your thread alerting us to this fact.

We do not have a definite timeline for final decisions around this, but we will say that we expect to add 2-5 new team members through this process. The number selected will depend on the pool of qualified candidates.

Please do not PM the TCF staff or the development team with your application or for assistance generating it. If you have any questions about the process, we would ask that you post them here unless they are of a sensitive nature (in which case you can make an additional post in your application).

divider.png

TCF Staff Team Application
Please make a thread here and answer the following questions:
  1. Introduce yourself. What is your name, age, etc.? (This information will be kept strictly confidential.)
  2. What platforms do you own and play Terraria on?
  3. What hours/periods per day are you usually online/available to moderate? Please provide your timezone.
  4. Why would you like to become a Re-Logic moderator?
  5. What moderating experience do you have, if any?
  6. What skills do you have that would enable you to be an effective moderator?
  7. If selected, what kinds of individual strengths would you bring to the current moderating team?
  8. Why do you feel that you deserve to be a moderator for Re-Logic communities?
divider.png

Thanks and good luck to all of the applicants!

Last edited:
Frequently Asked Questions

How old do I have to be to apply/be chosen?

We value demonstrated maturity over chronological age. Therefore, we are not setting a minimum age requirement to be a staff member. Each applicant must determine for themselves whether they meet the requirements to be a good moderator, and communicate that effectively through their application.​

Who decides who gets to be on the staff? What's the process?

The existing moderation staff will perform the initial review of all of the applications, and select a smaller pool of candidates for further questions and consideration. Once the final candidates are selected, they will be forward to Re-Logic for final approval (Loki, Safeman and Cenx will make the final approvals).

The persons chosen will be informed via PM (or email if you indicate this preference). For those people not chosen, we will be happy to provide feedback on your applications after the new staff members are announced.​

Which staff members are being replaced?

Leinfors is transitioning into his new role as Quality Assurance for Re-Logic, so he is also transitioning away from day-to-day moderating duties. Other than that, all of the other current moderation staff is continuing on, as of this time.

We are looking to add staff, not replace the staff.
I applied last time you did this, and I didn't get chosen. Does that mean I shouldn't bother to apply this time?

Everyone who is interested and who meets the requirements is invited to apply, even if you weren't chosen the last time we called for applications. It's been over a year now since the last call for applications, and it's unlikely that we would remember much about your previous application. Everyone starts fresh this time.​

Do moderators get paid? How much do they get paid? How will I get paid if I live in outside the U.S.?

Being a member of the TCF staff is a volunteer position.
Does this mean that I can be a beta-tester/developer too?!? When do I get my own dev armor and wings?

This is only a call for additional forum moderation staff. Re-Logic is not looking for additional beta-testers or developers at this time. When (if) that time comes, there will be a separate application process announced. Please do not assume that you will get to become a beta tester or developer through this application process.​

Do I have to reveal any personal information about myself, like my real name and age?

You do not have to reveal that in your initial application if you wish to keep that hidden. However, if chosen as a candidate, you will have to sign an NDA and provide certain information and proof of your identity at that time.
My age/location/occupation/etc. on my profile isn't correct now - will I be disqualified for not being truthful about that?

No, that doesn't matter at all. It will only matter when/if it comes to the point of needing to sign the NDA.​

What the heck is a Re-Logic NDA?

A Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) - also known as a confidentiality agreement - is formal, legally-binding document that requires the signer (that's you) to keep all information about Re-Logic's plans and projects a secret from EVERYONE who is not also under the same restriction/agreement. If you sign this document and violate the terms of the NDA, either through carelessness or intent, then Re-Logic has the right to pursue legal action against you. Being a TCF Staff Member is a position of significant trust, and there may be occasions when you learn information that is not intended for public disclosure. You will be expected to keep such information confidential at all times and in all places.

If you are under the age of majority in the country where you live (typically, younger than 18 years old), a parent or guardian will be required to sign this document for you/with you, thereby becoming legally responsible for your actions as a staff member. You will be required to provide proof of your real age/real name/real mailing address for this document, and in the event of a parent/guardian signing for you, they will be required to provide the same information and attest to their legal standing in regard to you. This information will be treated in strict confidence by Re-Logic, and will only be required IF you are selected to join the staff.

Since the NDA is a legal document, you may wish to consult with an attorney before signing it. If you do not feel that you will be comfortable signing such an agreement, then perhaps you should consider not applying for the position.

Some (possibly) useful links about NDA's:

To Sign or Not to Sign: What to Do if Asked to Sign an NDA
The Obligatory Wikipedia Article about NDAs
I have a warning from a long time ago - does that mean I can't apply or be chosen for staff?

Anyone can have a bad day once in a while; what matters is how you deal with it going forward. If you have demonstrated that you are a valuable community member, we are willing to overlook a blemish or two.​

I don't like certain members of the existing staff / I don't think certain members of the existing staff like me. What are my chances?

It is essential that prospective staff members have and maintain a good working relationship with the existing staff. If you feel that there would be problems working with existing staff members, we would welcome you to contact any staff members (or Safeman) in order to get those issues resolved.​

I think that the fair thing to do would be to have a community vote for who gets to be a moderator. Why don't we do that instead?

Because this isn't a popularity contest, nor is it a democracy. This is a position that requires significant trust and cooperation with Re-Logic and the existing forum staff. While we often ask the community to voice their opinions and/or preferences for some forum or game related issues, the selection of new staff is not one of those situations.​

Last edited:
Hah, it's not a job for me, my english sucks and stuff.

But I wish good luck to all applicants! :)

I want to do this really badly, but I'm kinda bad a keeping secrets, and since I'm already on the dev team of a game I already have all of my secret-keeping focused on that. Also, there are other people more qualified than me, so I'd rather not put mine in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom