tModLoader Calling Many Spriters - New Secret Mod, but I need help!

How should I approach this mod?

• Keep it secret, Allow for more time to develop the mod to finish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep it secret until a base preview (Showing content type and goals) can be finished

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Release a "Mod Idea" that people will say it is too ambitious, and provide no content (sprites, etc)

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moonlight_Fae

Terrarian
Hello Terraria community. My name is Emily, and I have taken on the task of making a very ambitious mod. I have been programming for years now, and I have started developing this mod. But I am absolutely awful at spriting, and I need some help. If anyone has any free time to make some sprites for this mod, I would be more than grateful. So far I have been planning this mod for a long time, and have compiled a list of required sprites. Now to keep this mod slightly more secretive, I have taken them all down and placed them in numbers.

ARMOR SETS
-117!!!

Weapons:
-30+ Spell Tomes
-18+ Bows
-20+ Swords
-24+ [Classified] Weapons

Projectiles:
-20+ projectiles (Arrow Type)
-60+ projectiles (Magic Type)
-17 Sentries
-More!

NPCs
-2 Main Town NPCs
-8 Potential Town NPCs (Depending on how much support I get)

TILES
-3 Tiles

ORES
-11 Ores

OTHER (So as to not give away)
-86 Items

Now if I were you, I would be sitting there scratching my head going "why would I help this mod?"

"Why would I help if the creator gives no information about this mod?"

That is actually a very fair point. However, this mod (if done correctly) will give Terraria many extra hours of replay value and might (hopefully) rival some of the big mod names out there.

"If I do happen to do anything with this project, how/will I be credited?"
Valid question. My answer to this is simple. About 3 years ago I worked on a project (Not Terraria Related at all) for many hours. I partnered with somebody and they stole the project from me. No credit for anything. I will ALWAYS give credit where credit is due.

"How can I be assured this creator knows what they are doing? or that they are motivated to finishing the mod?'"
You just have to take me at my word here. This mod is about two months into development, and I have been testing features. Why, without a valid reason would I drop this mod?

There you have it. I have no expectation that this will go anywhere, at least not fast. But all I need is a few spriters to take a dive in and see what this will offer. And depending on the way that this idea keeps building, I might still need more help. If you are at all interested in helping, please message me and (If possible) provide a sample sprite. Tell me what you are good at and I can find a way to fit everyone where they will feel comfortable. This mod has no rush to be developed, and it will be a good community for the group. If you have any questions or concerns, please leave them down in the comments below, because I will be checking this page about three times a day. But, I will not tell you what this mod is about.

For the rest of you who are just here to see what this is about while browsing the mod page, thanks for stopping by!

It sounds interesting. If I can, I might would try to help a bit with spriting. I'm kinda new in spriting though. If you want reference work, you could check out the forum post of Corru Crim NPCs mod, or the mod itself. I made that mod (with lots of help), and the sprites for the 2 NPCs too.
Anyway, I'm not very experienced, so dunno if I'm good, but I could give it a try I guess.
Anyway, keep up the good work!

It sounds interesting. If I can, I might would try to help a bit with spriting. I'm kinda new in spriting though. If you want reference work, you could check out the forum post of Corru Crim NPCs mod, or the mod itself. I made that mod (with lots of help), and the sprites for the 2 NPCs too.
Anyway, I'm not very experienced, so dunno if I'm good, but I could give it a try I guess.
Anyway, keep up the good work!

I really like the Corru Crim NPC mod. And the sprites are quite nice. Keep an eye on the post, because once I have a small group of interested people, I can really start to feel out where everything is best put. Thanks for responding so quickly.

I would like to help, but idk how to make sprites, im kinda good at drawing, but ive never made sprites for terraria before

I would like to help, but idk how to make sprites, im kinda good at drawing, but ive never made sprites for terraria before

Don't worry about that. If you are truly interested in helping, we can have a small start and test the waters. See how comfortable you are with this. If, for any reason, this does not seem like your cup of tea, I could always use artists to create Banners, Pretty Art, etc to gather interest in this mod. Anything to get some hype for this mod is great.
But if you feel like this is too much, you don't have to undertake it quite yet. There is no reason for anybody to be stressed.
<3

Aight, so first off, smh another content mod. You really don't get very far with these, especially with that much stuff promised.

Anyway, ye, i am a spriter with about 1 year of experience. But there are some things i wanna know.
First, how could i help if i don't even know what the mod is about?
Second, (and what I'm truly interested in) will i be paid if i were to join the team? This many items, enemies, everything will take a solid 2 months at least and nearly nothing is free in this world, y'know?
Third, in order to help, i need to see code made, and interesting items and fights. I won't bother with mods that promise extreme amounts of stuff but all of it is mediocre at best. That's Calamity's job tbh.
Fourth, why did you posted your irl name for everyone to see? that's smth you shouldn't ever do on the internet. Ik it's offtopic but i really wonder.

Ok I know it's not my place to say this, but that post above me seems so thrusted on what "is expected of people" I have to say something.

Second, (and what I'm truly interested in) will i be paid if i were to join the team? This many items, enemies, everything will take a solid 2 months at least and nearly nothing is free in this world, y'know?
Sorry but, most people who do mod stuff here don't expect payment. While very true the world runs on money that's not a good line of thought when it comes to making something good. But I would be truly ignorant if I thought just that. You did make good other points I'd like to hear answered from this guy too:

Anyway, ye, i am a spriter with about 1 year of experience.
With about as much proof as this dev is a coder. If your considering the offer, show proof too.

Third, in order to help, i need to see code made, and interesting items and fights. I won't bother with mods that promise extreme amounts of stuff but all of it is mediocre at best. That's Calamity's job tbh.
Fourth, why did you posted your irl name for everyone to see? that's smth you shouldn't ever do on the internet. Ik it's offtopic but i really wonder.
Ok this, I agree with heavily. (Except swap Calamity out for Fermium, you wanna talk "dull" mods) Calamity is not one of those.

Now, about this mod idea:
There's alot of projects out there that fall onto "hey I got this great idea, now I need help making it happen!" It's often a recipe for failure, just look up failed Kickstarter projects.
And "the dev" isn't even willing to share any proof he even can do this, making people very much skeptical. Mate, before you ask for the time from skilled people, make sure you got something to show, as Phobostar said. Having nothing to show will make you a liability for anyone you work with.

In my case, I'd only offer my skills if the spriter was skilled enough to need me, which he was! (Check my signature). If I were a spriter thou, I'd only offer to work if the code is not just a lazy copy of the base game's, and has some UMPF to it, per say.
Take a look at Qwerty's Mod if you want an example of what I'd consider working for if I was in a spriter's shoes.

Trust me, going in with this secret route is only going to end with negative feedback when it goes public, and besides. If you offered some examples of what is on board, you'd build some hype and support for the mod as well.

With about as much proof as this dev is a coder. If your considering the offer, show proof too.
Actually, Phobo sprited some stuff for Qwerty's mod, as well as quite a bit of other mods, as far as I'm aware.

He is also the main spriter for Warlords Mod(*cough* shameless plug of mod noone really knows or remembers anymore here *cough*).

I would gladly show proof, but here isn't the best place, i got my sprites stolen a few times.

Ok this, I agree with heavily. (Except swap Calamity out for Fermium, you wanna talk "dull" mods) Calamity is not one of those.
That's debatable, many people other than me think that calamity is mediocre.

And yeah, sprited some minor things for other mods but most of my sprites go into Warlords or Inlustris mods

Aight, so first off, smh another content mod. You really don't get very far with these, especially with that much stuff promised.

Anyway, ye, i am a spriter with about 1 year of experience. But there are some things i wanna know.
First, how could i help if i don't even know what the mod is about?

First, information on the mod will be provided on a need to know basis. This is to prevent anything leaving the mod that I don't want exposed. I have never seen a mod like what I am making on TModloader, and I don't need somebody stealing this mod, when it is this far underway.
Second, many months of planning and coding have been going into this mod to make it happen. You mentioned interesting items and fights.
This mod is NOT about interesting items. It is about the core way that a Terrarian plays the game, or so chooses to do so. The goal of this mod is to incorporate into Vanilla as much as possible, as to just feel like an extension, and not a whole new game. As for interesting fights, so far, I have at least one npc with an interesting fighting mechanic, but I want to, once again, say that it will remain a secret.

Third, I know better than to post my IRL name online. Emily Faith is indeed not my real name, but close (ish) to it. If you want a full explanation, please message me and I will go into FULL DETAIL on my name.

Alright. That said, I understand that you need proof that everything is indeed moving to plan. But on the other side of that coin, If I provided any code or source material from in the game at it's present stage would defeat the whole point of keeping what this mod does secret. If you feel that this is unfair, than please don't waste your "Precious Time" on a mod currently being programmed by a single person that you don't believe in. If I were in your shoes, than I would feel a similar way. But in case this red font does not give it away, THIS IS GOING TO REMAIN NEED TO KNOW BASIS. All VOLUNTEERS will get what they need, when they need it. Once there is a stable build with the basic premise (Probably once I have prehardmode completed), I will do a full reveal to all spriters. If they decide to drop the project there, then that is fine. Not long after I will announce the project to the public. All spriters will still have credit for what they have done, and I will have proven my worth to the community. But I want something to show for this mod. I want proof for what this mod is going to be to get some hype going in the future.

So there. Any other problems PLEASE message me and I will work it out. But do NOT message me asking me to show my mod, or ask for spoilers because that will NOT happen.

Thanks for reading this long message,
<3 Emily

[doublepost=1548796661,1548796291][/doublepost]
Ok I know it's not my place to say this, but that post above me seems so thrusted on what "is expected of people"

Now, about this mod idea:
There's alot of projects out there that fall onto "hey I got this great idea, now I need help making it happen!" It's often a recipe for failure, just look up failed Kickstarter projects.
And "the dev" isn't even willing to share any proof he even can do this, making people very much skeptical. Mate, before you ask for the time from skilled people, make sure you got something to show, as Phobostar said. Having nothing to show will make you a liability for anyone you work with.

Trust me, going in with this secret route is only going to end with negative feedback when it goes public, and besides. If you offered some examples of what is on board, you'd build some hype and support for the mod as well.

You have some very valid points, and a negative reaction from the community is not good. However, (No Offense) but I don't necessarily trust this community quite yet. I have read through some mods where there have been accusations of stealing assets (Or even entire lines of code).

As for making me a liability to work with, very well. I will let everyone make that decision for themselves. This is a list of what I'll need for the entire mod to be completed. To have a basic reveal I will need like... a third of what I have mentioned. Really, at this moment, all I need are Projectiles, armor, and Weapons. If I can get these, (Even if placeholder garbage to ensure security), I can provide a look at what the mod will do, without being accused of stealing assets, or following online tutorials to make half-:red: sprites that just make me look like I don't care.

So I ask you this. What would you say I do?

Well then, do keep in mind what I said is not fact but a strong opinion of how I've seen things done around here.
I still wish any ambitious project the best of luck, it seems like you really care and put alot of effort into wanting it to happen; something most of these "content mod idea" makes don't.

The major point would be the fact that spriters are basicly gambling on this one.
For you all info is present: current state of the mod, implemented features, sprites needed, mod direction & etc.
For spriters that would like to help - its not.
Personally for me, it would suck if I spent a lot of my time doing ghost work only to then get mod canceled/not get credited for any of your work/be dissapointed with how the mod turned out or any other situation in which spriter basicly wasted their time for nothing.

I get that you don't want people stealing stuff from you again, but with such mindset, you might as well don't release mod at all, since its content/code/sprites could be stolen post-release. It happened before and there are no gurantees it won't happen to your mod once you go public.

But in the end, its up to you.

117 armor sets. One hundred seventeen. One armor set takes several hours to create through spriting. You weren't lying when you said ambitious.

I'm interested.

The major point would be the fact that spriters are basicly gambling on this one.
For you all info is present: current state of the mod, implemented features, sprites needed, mod direction & etc.
For spriters that would like to help - its not.
Personally for me, it would suck if I spent a lot of my time doing ghost work only to then get mod canceled/not get credited for any of your work/be dissapointed with how the mod turned out or any other situation in which spriter basicly wasted their time for nothing.

I get that you don't want people stealing stuff from you again, but with such mindset, you might as well don't release mod at all, since its content/code/sprites could be stolen post-release. It happened before and there are no gurantees it won't happen to your mod once you go public.

But in the end, its up to you.
Armor helper is a thing y'know

Hello Terraria community. My name is Emily, and I have taken on the task of making a very ambitious mod. I have been programming for years now, and I have started developing this mod. But I am absolutely awful at spriting, and I need some help. If anyone has any free time to make some sprites for this mod, I would be more than grateful. So far I have been planning this mod for a long time, and have compiled a list of required sprites. Now to keep this mod slightly more secretive, I have taken them all down and placed them in numbers.

ARMOR SETS
-117!!!

Weapons:
-30+ Spell Tomes
-18+ Bows
-20+ Swords
-24+ [Classified] Weapons

Projectiles:
-20+ projectiles (Arrow Type)
-60+ projectiles (Magic Type)
-17 Sentries
-More!

NPCs
-2 Main Town NPCs
-8 Potential Town NPCs (Depending on how much support I get)

TILES
-3 Tiles

ORES
-11 Ores

OTHER (So as to not give away)
-86 Items

Now if I were you, I would be sitting there scratching my head going "why would I help this mod?"

"Why would I help if the creator gives no information about this mod?"

That is actually a very fair point. However, this mod (if done correctly) will give Terraria many extra hours of replay value and might (hopefully) rival some of the big mod names out there.

"If I do happen to do anything with this project, how/will I be credited?"
Valid question. My answer to this is simple. About 3 years ago I worked on a project (Not Terraria Related at all) for many hours. I partnered with somebody and they stole the project from me. No credit for anything. I will ALWAYS give credit where credit is due.

"How can I be assured this creator knows what they are doing? or that they are motivated to finishing the mod?'"
You just have to take me at my word here. This mod is about two months into development, and I have been testing features. Why, without a valid reason would I drop this mod?

There you have it. I have no expectation that this will go anywhere, at least not fast. But all I need is a few spriters to take a dive in and see what this will offer. And depending on the way that this idea keeps building, I might still need more help. If you are at all interested in helping, please message me and (If possible) provide a sample sprite. Tell me what you are good at and I can find a way to fit everyone where they will feel comfortable. This mod has no rush to be developed, and it will be a good community for the group. If you have any questions or concerns, please leave them down in the comments below, because I will be checking this page about three times a day. But, I will not tell you what this mod is about.

For the rest of you who are just here to see what this is about while browsing the mod page, thanks for stopping by!
So as this sound very exciting, I can tell you are starting way to big. It's good to hope for really big but as initial release it will be hard to pull out some of the stuff. For example 117 armor is really A LOT, maybe start with 10-15 because clearly you won't have 117 in initial release. Another problem will probably be ore, 11 is a lot, tough it's not that hard to do, it's still a lot (and are you sure you will need that much?). Also, town NPC wise, that's another problem since generally they are hard to sprite (and to code, but that's a personal opinion there). Other than all that, I guess I'll wait and see where this will go. (I'm not a spriter, but I'm a well known dev and I'm telling you those thing from the 4 year of modding experience I have.)

Back
Top Bottom